• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Official Demo Thread

scionicspectre

Yeah, sometimes people can't shut up, but I think the more important things going on for this game's success aren't being spoken by anyone. People just being impressed and keeping it to themselves. My room mates are all pretty excited since they heard I pre-ordered it, and they couldn't care less for the old DMC games.

So regardless of all the angst and stupid opinions, we're all getting a good game that's sure to entertain us. I'm pretty happy about that, and it won't change no matter how many people are ranting about it. I'm just excited to see the reactions once the full game hits.

8BitHero

Scrub
Weird just looked at the new vid for the new Tomb Raider and saw a comment that started like 'This is not the Lara Croft I use to know' I by habit did not want to read the rest of the comment since I am so use to something like that being posted about DmC but the last part surprised me since they said that and ended it with they like the new one...and I was like wut..how different the same start to a sentence about a game can be for another game..oh there are the 'Uncharted ripoff' comments but I was more struck by the comment I mention actually made me pause and go 'Huh.'

Because like I said earlier, people are dumb. There's no such thing anymore as "borrowing what works". A game like Darksiders 2 has ZERO originality and borrows from other games (Zelda, Castlevania, World of Warcraft and even DMC(it has it's own combo system)). But it does it so well that you can't help but appreciate what they've done. But when a game like Tomb Raider, which admittedly, looks like Uncharted (but isn't) is then called a rip-off. Same with those who claimed Castlevania: LoS ripped off Shadow of The Colossus because two of the bosses were mountainous titans. It's not bad to take other ideas and use them because it's taking what works to create a new game.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
I have this feeling deep down in my belly that this game is going to do well. I was talking to a friend who played the DmC demo and I asked him how he felt about it. His reply was, "Dude, it's so great! It makes the first 4 look boring!"
Thought I'd like to share that with everyone. Good to see people getting excited for the game. :)

Paexie

Heh, there is nothing but negative previews now in N4G. I understand their complaints though. This game is not for the hardcore crowd, but for some reason I found myself enjoying it way more than DMC3-4... maybe on equal terms with 3. I still really love replaying that game.

Says the one who's replayed Underwatch 60+ times now.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Heh, there is nothing but negative previews now in N4G. I understand their complaints though. This game is not for the hardcore crowd, but for some reason I found myself enjoying it way more than DMC3-4... maybe on equal terms with 3. I still really love replaying that game.

Says the one who's replayed Underwatch 60+ times now.
Well I agree to some extend that DmC is not for some of the hardcore fanbase, but I suppose I consider myself a "hardcore" player and I love DmC! Just like you mentioned I'm having much more fun with it than I did DMC4 and about the same level with DMC3. :)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
We might also be having more fun with DmC because it's actually something new after having replayed the classics for years on end. Regardless of how fun they are, they get boring, so something brand new that changes things up is like a shot of adrenaline right to the heart - new environments to run through, new story to experience, new characters to learn about, and a new combat system to master. All great prospects.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
We might also be having more fun with DmC because it's actually something new after having replayed the classics for years on end. Regardless of how fun they are, they get boring, so something brand new that changes things up is likea shot of adrenaline right to the heart - new environments run through, new story to experience, new characters to learn about, and a new combat system to master. All great prospects.
Very true, and unlike DMC4 and DMC3 DmC contains no backtracking. So every mission is literally a new mission, and thank god we don't have to refight the same 4 bosses over and over again.....DMC4.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I was okay with DMC3's backtracking, because it was reminiscent of DMC1's, which reminds me of stuff like Castlevania and Metroid (which I love). DMC4's had just no stimulation of any degree, and was literally uninspired backtracking I thought it was cute at first, but...when it got to the point that I had seen everything as Nero, and nothing interesting as Dante, I got disappointed.

People can complain all they want about linear progression, but when you're trying to make a narrative (like in FFXIII's case) it's one of the few ways to keep that experience going.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
Yeah, Capcom essentially made half a game for Nero, then let You run back through it again as Dante.

8BitHero

Scrub
Yeah, Capcom essentially made half a game for Nero, then let You run back through it again as Dante.
Yeah which some found bad. Yet I didn't find it boring. You're not backtracking to open a locked room like in Metroid(which isn't bad either). Nero goes in, fights the bosses but his ultimate goal is to Save Kyrie. Dante goes back through the stages as a map up. Finish off Neroes bosses, get some new weapons and get paid. Why was that such a hard concept for people to understand?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah which some found bad. Yet I didn't find it boring. You're not backtracking to open a locked room like in Metroid(which isn't bad either). Nero goes in, fights the bosses but his ultimate goal is to Save Kyrie. Dante goes back through the stages as a map up. Finish off Neroes bosses, get some new weapons and get paid. Why was that such a hard concept for people to understand?

It just seemed very lazy on Capcom's part, and really sorta hit home a lot of rumors that Dante originally wasn't going to be playable, and then they changed it halfway through development due to fan backlash about not playing as Dante. But, all they did was work on the character, and didn't do much else with his side of the campaign.

After DMC2 - the supposed "worst in the series" on the PS2 can give Dante and another character their own complete campaigns, it's really odd that they didn't do the same in DMC4, and with the next gen hardware, something better.

8BitHero

Scrub
It just seemed very lazy on Capcom's part, and really sorta hit home a lot of rumors that Dante originally wasn't going to be playable, and then they changed it halfway through development due to fan backlash about not playing as Dante. But, all they did was work on the character, and didn't do much else with his side of the campaign.

After DMC2 - the supposed "worst in the series" on the PS2 can give Dante and another character their own complete campaigns, it's really odd that they didn't do the same in DMC4, and with the next gen hardware, something better.
True. I guess Capcom were thinking:
"Oh shi-. We're pulling an MGS2 Konami stunt here. Better put Dante in". Honestly it seemed like it was placed well though. He was mopping up Neros mess.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Kobayashi really wanted to make Nero front and center the star of DMC4, to make a new hero of the new gen platform. To be fair, I can't blame him as a storyteller since Dante's motivations and story really were explored and wrapped up in the first game, but the fans liked Dante, which is why Nero was designed to be a combination of the twins in his characterization and look. It's the same thing that hit with DMC2; the game was written around Lucia being the central character, but the exploded popularity of Dante forced them to quickly write him intro the plot, which resulted in a much different personality than Kamiya's Dante.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy

I didn't mind the backtracking either considering how much more diverse the environments were in DMC 4, also if you count up how many individual rooms DMC3 + 4 have DMC 4 has more by quite a margin and the environments are better suited for combat in general because of the size and better cameras.
There were also some changes to Dantes playthrough (such as the ice in the castle or the mist in the forest, this may not be much but it was no different than how DMC3 did it's backtracking with different warps to different areas)

But I can understand peoples boredom with it if they only ever play the game once or a few times, I've personally played each level so many times it wouldn't have really mattered what environments I was going through as I'd been through them so many times anyway. I also think the quality of bosses from a diverse combat approach are of better quality than most in DMC3 (Leviathan HC, Lady, Doppelganger, Jester etc) so don't mind the lack of quantity.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
^ I believe I've beaten the game 16 times if I recall correctly, all 8 difficulties on My own and for My friend. (He's a score-whore, so I got him everything but 1,000,000 orbs and 10k Demon kills) and in return He gave Me the limited edition collector's tin.

And yeah, I agree about the bosses, Bael is one of the best designed bosses from the whole series, using the tempting Lusty naked chicks to lure any male with his parts in the right place towards it, much like how the deep sea Anglerfish uses it's bright bulb protruding from it's head to lure unsuspecting fish in.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Didnt enjoy leaving house 30 mins early this morning in -5C weather to get ice off my car. Bring on the summer because Winter sucks, dark, cold, high heating bills, things start to break and not wanting to leave house at any point.

8BitHero

Scrub
Yeah, but there could have been so much more. DMC2 unwittingly set a precedent >_<
Like what?

@SpawnShooter
That makes sense.

Didnt enjoy leaving house 30 mins early this morning in -5C weather to get ice off my car. Bring on the summer because Winter sucks, dark, cold, high heating bills, things start to break and not wanting to leave house at any point.
I play games all-day and browse forums. What is this term "leaving the house"?

Top Bottom