• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Eastern to Western

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
"My Dante wouldn't say this, so I don't like this."
Oh sh!t. That's going right on my sig.
It's not Last of Us quality (that game is being called our Citizen Kane), but it's certainly well above other games' quality.
I'm sorry, what? Really? Out of all the games out there, that one is being called our Citizen Kane?? Yeah, f#ck Deus Ex, System Shock II, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers and Persona 4 Golden, The Last of Us is immediately more qualified because it's better than all the other games taking place within an Apocalyptic scenario. And monsters.

I'll take S.T.A.L.K.E.R. over The Last of Us any day of the week.

Really? The Last of Us? Fine. Flame me all you want, but it is not our Citizen Kane. It's a game version of The Road, and even then it's being generous.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'm sorry, what? Really? Out of all the games out there, that one is being called our Citizen Kane?? Yeah, f#ck Deus Ex, System Shock II, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers and Persona 4 Golden, The Last of Us is immediately more qualified because it's better than all the other games taking place within an Apocalyptic scenario. And monsters.

Really? The Last of Us? Fine. Flame me all you want, but it is not our Citizen Kane. It's a game version of The Road, and even then it's being generous.

You're forgetting that most of those are PC titles, and sadly no one ever really factors PC gaming into the mix, unless it ends in "craft."

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You're forgetting that most of those are PC titles, and sadly no one ever really factors PC gaming into the mix, unless it ends in "craft."
Hm. You're quite right.
I'm at a loss. What console games would you have listed instead of TLoS as our CK?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well, I'm still going through TLoU (Joel and Ellie just got out on their own), so I can't rightly say where it would sit, but considering Citizen Kane is lauded was because it was the most innovative film of its time, and pretty much caused a paradigm shift in how films are made to day, I can't say TLoU does anything super innovative. It does a lot of known things rather well, and has great presentation for its narrative, but...I dunno.

I think for a game to be gaming's Citizen Kane, it needs to be exceedingly revolutionary in all that it does. Since most games really just rehash a handful of ideas, I can't really say there is one :S There are plenty of games that have stuck with me, and remain my favorites, but I don't think any one of them really revolutionized a whole lot - although Vagrant Story is still one of my all-time favorite games ever, and have yet to see a game do much like it, from the combat, to the story presentation, to even the setting and tone.

Ironically I do like the "stance trigger" mechanic that Heavenly Sword and DmC use for hack 'n' slash. It's much better in DmC, but I'd also love to see other devs utilize it someday. To me, it adds this whole new dynamic to things, instead of just "light and heavy attacks."

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
although Vagrant Story is still one of my all-time favorite games ever, and have yet to see a game do much like it, from the combat, to the story presentation, to even the setting and tone.
You know, I was just thinking about how Vagrant Story's combat engine could be used for a... well, a Harry Potter game. Or pretty much any fantasy novel IP that has to use a lot of spells.

And since there are an overabundance of spells in almost any of those IPs, so I figured, why not use them through VS mechanics? It was just a thought. There are other ways to do it (like in traditional turn-based jrpgs) but this one fits quite well, if you ask me.

Edit:

And about the other stuff in your post, I agree with the fact that almost no game has really innovated (at least not recently) the industry in the same way that CK innovated film.

A lot of indie games out there are exploring new ideas however, so that's worth a look.

The angel armors are basically pieces of vergil's soul, torn apart and the pieces used as the catalyst to control countless lesser demons' souls inside of an armor doll. That's the kind of **** I wish they gave more attention to in game, instead of making people dig through the files and find out/guess on their own (it's one of DMC3 and 4's bigger flaws)

Sometimes It's better to put your mind to work rather than having the answers right in your face and thats it.

mincartoon

people have different tastes for sure... it's something expected but the fact still surprises me often.

maybe Asians (not migrants who were raised in western cultures) find classic DMC's dialogue more cool? cuz they don't use english as their first language and ignorant about unnatural english usages or expressions that can sound wierd for native speakers?

western people have their own fantasies about asia (orientalism, japonism whatever it's called) which for real asians is hard to agree with. like Naruto has orientalism cliche (Ninja etc...) and more popular in western countries than in japan whereas Onepiece has asian-view of pirates which westerners can't really empathize resulting contrary popularity. so what can look cool to japanese or similar asian population (isolated?) might look crap for people adapted to western culture.

I don't wanna behave racist but when i go with people from different races their behaviors or ways of thinking are sometimes very hard to understand. in the same way, some people don't understand merits in old DMC just like others don't to DmC. it can't be helped... haters will hate.

personally, i want CAPCOM to continue old franchise though. Metal Gear Rising had those cliches classic DMC series had, and I really liked it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
maybe Asians (not migrants who were raised in western cultures) find classic DMC's dialogue more cool? cuz they don't use english as their first language and ignorant about unnatural english usages or expressions that can sound wierd for native speakers?

Which is ironic because there's so many people who will only listen to the Japanese audio of an anime, and they look down on people who like dubs, and they constantly complain about how sh!t sounds bad in English without realizing that A LOT of anime voice actors are doing pretty much the exact same thing, but they do it in a language they can't expressly relate to, so they don't hear all the awkward little things in the voice acting.

My pet peeve is listening to pretty much any girl in any anime nowadays when listening to JP audio. I am so sick of the high, breathy voice and or the high squeaky voice. NO ONE REALLY TALKS LIKE THAT! Then of course there's all the tired old archetypes...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Which is ironic because there's so many people who will only listen to the Japanese audio of an anime, and they look down on people who like dubs, and they constantly complain about how sh!t sounds bad in English without realizing that A LOT of anime voice actors are doing pretty much the exact same thing, but they do it in a language they can't expressly relate to, so they don't hear all the awkward little things in the voice acting.

My pet peeve is listening to pretty much any girl in any anime nowadays when listening to JP audio. I am so sick of the high, breathy voice and or the high squeaky voice. NO ONE REALLY TALKS LIKE THAT! Then of course there's all the tired old archetypes...
I'm sick of people who only watch anime subbed talking about how much they watch anime subbed. They annoy the sh!t outta me. So stupid.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Oh sh!t. That's going right on my sig.

The Last of Us is pretty good. It's like TellTale's Walking Dead but if it had a bigger budget and wasn't a point and click adventure. And I'm actually surprised I enjoyed what I played of it. It was able to keep my cynicism at bay because I was skeptical. I thought I wouldn't like it because Naughty Dog has really become a ehh company with me. I'm not a fan of their Uncharted games. But Last of Us is more survival horror and as a horror fan I think that's why I enjoy stuff like this more.I want to buy it so I can play through it all.

I wouldn't call it the Citizen Kane of games though. No way.

Then again,there are female voice actors who can do male voices like a boss,you know.. :lol:
I didn't even notice some were females until I looked on videos on you tube.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Then again,there are female voice actors who can do male voices like a boss,you know.. :lol:
I didn't even notice some were females until I looked on videos on you tube.
Like Romi Park, the voice actress who played Naoto Shirogane. I don't know who the English dub is because Union Actor contracts prevent her from revealing her identity. I even did a little investigating, but no luck. :(

I think that there might be something wrong with me. :ermm:

Like Romi Park, the voice actress who played Naoto Shirogane. I don't know who the English dub is because Union Actor contracts prevent her from revealing her identity. I even did a little investigating, but no luck. :(

I think that there might be something wrong with me. :ermm:
It wasn't Romi Paku(well,this is her japanese name)? xD
I know her,also Maaya Sakamoto who plays Ciel Phantomhive in Black Butler or Marina Inoue who does Armin in Attack on Titan (my little obsession for now) .
Also,who can forget that Naruto is voiced also by a woman ( Junko Takeuchi) and Edward Elric from FMA is by Romi Paku.
I think they're pretty awesome,how they can change their voice completely to the point you think they're truly males. :lol:

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
So would that mean Agnus found Vergil at the same time he found Yamato? I wonder if he found Vergil's physical body and extracted a soul from it, or he found only parts of Vergil, or found the only the soul using those hellgates...
They could have made Agnus and his research into a proper plot point, but instead they make Agnus into a creeper and gloss over his research and experiments.:p

You're right: this is the sort of thing they should have explained in the game. It would have made MDC4's plot so much better.

the info that's been pieced together hints that a lesser demon that agnus pulled into the human world was carrying the broken pieces of yamato. The sword was not broken during virgil's fight with mundus, so there's a theory going around that yamato was so disgusted at the thought of being used by a weak demon that it broke itself. As far as vergil himself goes, there's not a lot of info on that but the guess is that agnus found nelo angel's remains and used shards of his armor for experiments

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
the info that's been pieced together hints that a lesser demon that agnus pulled into the human world was carrying the broken pieces of yamato. The sword was not broken during virgil's fight with mundus, so there's a theory going around that yamato was so disgusted at the thought of being used by a weak demon that it broke itself. As far as vergil himself goes, there's not a lot of info on that but the guess is that agnus found nelo angel's remains and used shards of his armor for experiments
I had no idea. Good job on finding new info.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014

yamato could have been destroyed in the battle with mundus and thrown away. explains the statement that agnus said "we found it through the expedition" or something of that nature. as for nelo angelo's armor, i'm not sure. i seemed to be pretty...incinerated when vergil blew up.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I'm sick of people who only watch anime subbed talking about how much they watch anime subbed. They annoy the sh!t outta me. So stupid.
I like Persona 4 (both the animation and the game) dubbed, Inuyasha dubbed, and Symphony of the Night dubbed (both versions: the old version for it's unintentional comedic value, the new one because it's good). I'm not totally against dubs... they just have to have VA's I like in them.

Yeah, I'm still a snob. I'll try to watch some other random dub with VA's I've never heard of.I'll admit the point above you made was valid, overall.

yamato could have been destroyed in the battle with mundus and thrown away. explains the statement that agnus said "we found it through the expedition" or something of that nature. as for nelo angelo's armor, i'm not sure. i seemed to be pretty...incinerated when vergil blew up.
It's as good as any other theory we have... which is to say, none at all, fanfiction be damned. Well, at least the official art book said that Nero was Vergil's son, so that's something. Wish it said if Vergil was capable of resurrecting or not (because it's kinda 99% certain that he's dead).

"Another one bites the dust!"

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
I like Persona 4 (both the animation and the game) dubbed, Inuyasha dubbed, and Symphony of the Night dubbed (both versions: the old version for it's unintentional comedic value, the new one because it's good). I'm not totally against dubs... they just have to have VA's I like in them.

Yeah, I'm still a snob. I'll try to watch some other random dub with VA's I've never heard of.I'll admit the point above you made was valid, overall.

It's as good as any other theory we have... which is to say, none at all, fanfiction be damned. Well, at least the official art book said that Nero was Vergil's son, so that's something. Wish it said if Vergil was capable of resurrecting or not (because it's kinda 99% certain that he's dead).

"Another one bites the dust!"

hold on a sec there partner. 99% what about that remaining 1%...?

Top Bottom