• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Eastern to Western

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I posted these on tumblr a couple days ago and I thought it might be nice to bring them here too. Although apologies if it comes across as stern at points. There was someone posting offensive misleading information about them, hence why I made this in response.

tumblr_mnoyp4YaVy1ryfipvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnoyp4YaVy1ryfipvo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnoyp4YaVy1ryfipvo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnoyp4YaVy1ryfipvo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnoyp4YaVy1ryfipvo10_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnoyp4YaVy1ryfipvo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnoyp4YaVy1ryfipvo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnoyp4YaVy1ryfipvo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnoyp4YaVy1ryfipvo9_1280.jpg

Every fandom has its ships being them homosexual or not.I myself have,but I put them apart for myself since I don't force it on others.But I don't like when I see people being homophobic (now we go on a different topic)
I don't strictly see Dante as an anime character,in terms of appereance.There are many realistic manga and anime.Regarding his outfit in DMC4 I don't consider it really cowboy-ish.First those trousers resemble the ones that bikers wear (this is the first image I got while searching them up so I don't think it's the same but I found some pants that really resemble Dante's,only the color differs)
189664_in_xl.jpg

Not to add cowboys don't even wear leather or lots of zippers and such.

Now,it's a matter of style preference and what the character likes to wear.
Don't tell me you didn't see those scene kids or gothics even once while outside.There are people who have their own style of clothing,depending on their personality and Dante being a stylish man from what we know,it would be normal for him to wear 'unusual' clothes and something that fits his personality and preferences. (he gives me a rockstar feeling too)
Don't tell me you would see Vergil dressed like that in streets of America,he is a rich man,but he spent most of his time by his brother's side.Not even rich men dress like him,they dress like bussines men,so just like in Vergil's case,he has his own style.
We live in times which don't restric people so much from expressing their own choices.
Of course I don't see him dressed as Batman or Captain America,but as I said,I don't see it as inconvenient,also not that much of an importance.Even though I also like casual clothes that still fit the characters,this won't change my liking towards them.It's a matter of taste and preferences.

aoshi

Here we go again with, "We don't mean to offend when we say dante is gay".

First of all, Dante was never mentioned as gay in DMC. So to call someone who isn't gay as gay is offensive. Don't defend it with bullcrap like being gay is okay.There is a difference between accepting someone is gay and to call someone gay when they are not. If someone is actually gay and if they are ridiculed by others calling them gay, then this response is appropriate with the message that "There is nothing wrong in being gay".

First of all, Dante was never mentioned as gay in DMC. So to call someone who isn't gay as gay is offensive. Don't defend it with bullcrap like being gay is okay.There is a difference between accepting someone is gay and to call someone gay when they are not. If someone is actually gay and if they are ridiculed by others calling them gay, then this response is appropriate with the message that "There is nothing wrong in being gay".

I don't think being gay is 'offensive',but it is offensive when insisting someone is when he's not.I think that was directed to the part of the fandom with the ships,not that Dante is gay.It's not proven so we can't judge someone by how dresses or how he looks.Afterall,all this shipping is just a product of people's wishes and desire for two characters to be together,It doesn't mean they are a canon pairing.
This being said,Dante is not gay until proven and we can't assume he is just because he dresses is a way or just because someone drew him in a sexual manner.This is just what the fandom does,not the show.

Exactly. I was jus gonna say the same thing. Fans can do watever they want but that cannot be accepted. Especially, when it is perverted.
Yes.Fans can do what their imagination and fantasy wants to,but it doesn't need to be confused with what the reality is and what is canon. I have my own likings but I don't cross the line when it comes to what it's real and proven. Most people assume such things because they're narrow minded and they fail to see underneath context and judge because...they like to do it without even thinking a little before.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD

Dude its a video game character. Not that big of a deal.

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
So, do you think every mexican wears a sombrero and a poncho? That every anime character has big eyes? That every japanese dress like that?

Western and Eastern have their own culture, but that's not part of them, those are just lame stereotypes.

Absolutely,these are cheap stereotypes.There's a difference between culture and assuming all the people in a country follow the aesthetics and tradition of a culture.There's also a difference between using some characteristics of a certain culture and make it in a original version changing them slightly. I seen people saying Dante is anime because he has white hair.Really? Is that a strong reason that makes him anime?Also,albino people exist,and Dante is not even human so why bothering?(Not talking about the DMC anime though) When it comes to his style and behaviour I don't see anything that resembles the things in these pics.

Martius

SSSmokin!
It would have been interesting,instead they made Dante ultra hetero with all those strippers around him.
I dont think so. It would probably end like Bioware trying to do same thing in ME3 and DA2.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/08/dmcs-dante-isnt-gay-hes-just-the-victim-of-sensationalist-de/
No, he's not gay," Ninja Theory chief designer Tameem Antoniades told us at E3, while Capcom's Motohide Eshiro laughed in the background. His translator said it wasn't the first time they'd been asked. "But I kind of wish he was now," Antoniades said.

aoshi

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/08/dmcs-dante-isnt-gay-hes-just-the-victim-of-sensationalist-de/
No, he's not gay," Ninja Theory chief designer Tameem Antoniades told us at E3, while Capcom's Motohide Eshiro laughed in the background. His translator said it wasn't the first time they'd been asked. "But I kind of wish he was now," Antoniades said.

Oh,He meant it as a joke. For someone under heavy criticism back then, I sure appreciate his sense of nonchalance.:lol:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Eastern and western culture really aren't that different at all. In fact, a great part of Japan's contemporary culture is from the combination of North American and European influences. It's evolved greatly from its origins. Japan has changed greatly throughout history overall. Hell, that nation is a freaking post-war economic miracle. I think I'm just getting off topic.

The thing is with DmC, it's just trying to appeal to more than just the anime crowd. Getting rid of anime flamboyant flare and gaudy costumes just in favor of something more contemporary. That's pretty much it. It's Devil May Cry, just less animeish.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
I wouldn't call it sensitive,nor offensive.We're here to discuss this aspect too,but it's the society stereotyping,and this is a shame.

And? Isn't social stereotyping people the norm? And better yet, this is a video game character, not a real person. Dante doesn't represent us as a society stereotype because he doesn't exist in our society, nor does he even exist. He's a video game creation with his own created society.

Top Bottom