• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Eastern to Western

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I'm sick of people who only watch anime subbed talking about how much they watch anime subbed. They annoy the sh!t outta me. So stupid.
You are not alone in this, Chancey!

The analogy I can come up with is this now that subbed anime is mentioned here:
DMC = subbed anime
DmC = dubbed anime

I like both subbed (with JP audio) and dubbed (with EN audio and no subtitles; yet they are distracting and that people focus on reading the subs more than watching the show); the JP Seiyuus and EN VAs are just as good as each other. There are otakus who are like "I've heard and seen the original dub with subs, now to see what the official dub has to offer"; and I'm one of them.
And this is why I like both DMC and DmC altogether. So only liking DMC but not considering DmC as a DMC game is basically pretty much the equivalence of liking only subbed anime because JP voices are so cool, sexy and all that jazz, and that dubbed anime sounds and makes the characters so gay as what many elitists claim!

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You are not alone in this, Chancey!

The analogy I can come up with is this now that subbed anime is mentioned here:
DMC = subbed anime
DmC = dubbed anime

I like both subbed (with JP audio) and dubbed (with EN audio and no subtitles; yet they are distracting and that people focus on reading the subs more than watching the show); the JP Seiyuus and EN VAs are just as good as each other. There are otakus who are like "I've heard and seen the original dub with subs, now to see what the official dub has to offer"; and I'm one of them.
And this is why I like both DMC and DmC altogether. So only liking DMC but not considering DmC as a DMC game is basically pretty much the equivalence of liking only subbed anime because JP voices are so cool, sexy and all that jazz, and that dubbed anime sounds and makes the characters so gay as what many elitists claim!
I don't mind reading subtitles on certain things because I usually do when it comes to foreign films. However, when it comes to anime I prefer to watch dubbed if I have the choice. And it's not like english voice actors are bad. They have some pretty talented people who work on this stuff. It's ridiculous to think that there actually is an elitist group of anime watchers who think that just because they watch all things subbed it makes them better. How?

That's usually that weeaboo crowd though too who are all like east=win and everything west=fail. Thinking Japan is the Otaku Wonderland or something. Really, those people are sporting simple bigotry than just an opinion.

The people like this video is taking the p!ss out of.
Fo rizzle my japanizzle.

MigsRZXAStylish

I don't mind reading subtitles on certain things because I usually do when it comes to foreign films. However, when it comes to anime I prefer to watch dubbed if I have the choice. And it's not like english voice actors are bad. They have some pretty talented people who work on this stuff. It's ridiculous to think that there actually is an elitist group of anime watchers who think that just because they watch all things subbed it makes them better. How?

That's usually that weeaboo crowd though too who are all like east=win and everything west=fail. Thinking Japan is the Otaku Wonderland or something. Really, those people are sporting simple bigotry than just an opinion.

The people like this video is taking the p!ss out of.
Fo rizzle my japanizzle.
You know what was the worst part of anime history? The infamous Alfred R. Kahn, president of 4Kids Entertainment. Not only does his company do terrible dubbing, but the guys there also edit out some parts too which they think would offend children, even going as far as replacing Japanese items for American items (take Pokemon for example: instead of sushi, we see a sandwich). Is he implying Japan doesn't exist and that anime belongs to him? That company, and that douchebag of a CEO, were the reasons why weeabos think dubs suck! Just because one company screws it up doesn't mean others would! It may have left a large metaphoric scar within every otaku, but I'm relieved he will never touch anime ever again!

I am also here to spread the message that dubbed anime is not really so bad at all. This is how I honestly felt and I this analogy got me to get DmC and defend it. Sure, it's not that good, but it's not that bad either... I sensed both pros and cons in it. Both east and west aren't so bad at all; DMC is an eastern take of something western while DmC is a western take of something eastern which is a take of something western.

mincartoon

Sorry to ruin the serious discussion but... i could never fap to english dubbed hentai, they gave me chills :/

Personally, i prefer watching subbed anime(not just anime, any kind of media) than dubbed ones because i value originality, not that i look down on dubbed version's quality.

I'm not a huge fan of this DmC reboot, but that's not because i worship "Glorious Nihhon" culture but because it ruined its originality.I'm a big fan of western games like God of War, StarCraft and Halo series. Their visual design, voice acting and plot goes smoothly all together.

However, DmC's tried to reboot an original genre from another culture, but twisted it in western point of view which resulted awkard feeling for some exsisting fans.

Imagine they sell a drink named Coca-Cola, but it tastes like ginger beer. Some people simply bought the drink because it has "Coca-Cola" brand, and those who bought it becaused they wanted the taste of coke will start to blame its maker. Are they simply being a douchebag? I mean if it didn't have the "name" of the major brand they would've never cared about that drink anyway.

Also, western culture has several past cases of terrible remakes, like Dragonball Evolution, The King of Fighters movie and most of Uwe Boll's work. Maybe those mistakes already planted self-defensive minds to a lot of people.

MigsRZXAStylish

Sorry to ruin the serious discussion but... i could never fap to english dubbed hentai, they gave me chills :/

Personally, i prefer watching subbed anime(not just anime, any kind of media) than dubbed ones because i value originality, not that i look down on dubbed version's quality.

I'm not a huge fan of this DmC reboot, but that's not because i worship "Glorious Nihhon" culture but because it ruined its originality.I'm a big fan of western games like God of War, StarCraft and Halo series. Their visual design, voice acting and plot goes smoothly all together.

However, DmC's tried to reboot an original genre from another culture, but twisted it in western point of view which resulted awkard feeling for some exsisting fans.

Imagine they sell a drink named Coca-Cola, but it tastes like ginger beer. Some people simply bought the drink because it has "Coca-Cola" brand, and those who bought it becaused they wanted the taste of coke will start to blame its maker. Are they simply being a douchebag? I mean if it didn't have the "name" of the major brand they would've never cared about that drink anyway.

Also, western culture has several past cases of terrible remakes, like Dragonball Evolution, The King of Fighters movie and most of Uwe Boll's work. Maybe those mistakes already planted self-defensive minds to a lot of people.
What about the Resident Evil movies then?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
hold on a sec there partner. 99% what about that remaining 1%...?
Well, you got me there.

I just thought Vergil was kept as Mundus' prisoner. But the prevalent theory is that he was killed by Mundus, then kept as a zombie slave. A very powerful one, but still a slave.

Then Dante defeated him. Mundus said "defeated" and not "killed". So, it's still more-or-less up in the air.

Also, when Dante defeated him, there was a powerful blast emanating from Vergil. Maybe that's when his Yamato (which was corrupted into the Zweihander you see him holding) was shattered.

And just because Vergil's armor shattered off (used to create Bianco Angelos and quite possibly Gilgamesh as well) doesn't mean that Vergil was completely destroyed.

Still, that 1% doubt lingers there. So, who knows what had really happened?

When Trish said, "lost to evil" what I thought was that she had meant to say it as sort of a double-meaning.

1. That Eva was killed by demons.

2. That Vergil stabbed (or got himself stabbed) with the Yamato and DT'd to finish off the demons while Dante was hiding. He then went off on his own, leaving his brother behind in the pursuit of more power (summoned swords instead of guns, Darkslayer instead of Trickster, etc.).

Meanwhile, it seems to me that Dante was satisfied to remain at his current power level until the age of 19 when Temen-ni-gru erupted from the ground (you could even say that activating the tower forced him to "level up" -- also, when Arkham ascended into hell (demonic heaven?), Dante involuntarily DT'd again when the tower was shaking as a result (mission 17, I believe). Dante was at Trickster, Swordmaster, Gunslinger, and Royalguard level one at the beginning of the game.

Which means that he learned the beginning of each of these moves throughout the course of his life before the events of DMC3 took place.

Maybe I should write a fanfiction that fits (as well as it can fit together anyway) all the events together (including *hurgh* Nero). But I think at least one other person has already done that.

MigsRZXAStylish

I actually never seriously played Biohazard game series, but I enjoyed the movie.
However, if some game fans don't like the film, i think that's also understandable.

and one reason I like the movie is because of Milla Jovovich (boobs!).
You know what? The RE movie series is a rather good take of RE. I hear the same director of the RE movies will be the one making the upcoming DmC movie; however, he will make his version of Dante close to the classic one. Maybe the director likes the old Dante more, but probably wants to imagine him if he was the one as the protagonist of the reboot?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
You know what? The RE movie series is a rather good take of RE. I hear the same director of the RE movies will be the one making the upcoming DmC movie; however, he will make his version of Dante close to the classic one. Maybe the director likes the old Dante more, but probably wants to imagine him if he was the one as the protagonist of the reboot?

timthumb.php

Maybe a good take on RE6 but even as movies without the RE title they still suck....well the early RE movies were decent but these new ones................I mean they're cool but.....that is it they're cool.

Also I don't care if he makes a DMC movie with DMC Dante instead of DmC Dante I find the director behind the RE movies to be a bit incompetent.

Yippee a DMC movie with a sh*t ton of slow motion effects, bad choreography, bad/bland action sequences, terrible visual/special effects, and a lame representation of DMC/DmC and lets not forget the soundtrack.....well he is far better than M Night Shalamadingdong.

The RE movies felt more like a Matrix movie than a RE movie. Damnation is still the best RE movie and that was CGI.

The RE movies lack the horror aspects of RE1-4, the quirky humor of RE1-4, any atmosphere/suspense at all of RE1-5, and iconic characters of RE are tossed aside for a power fantasy chick (they turned Chris into a p*ssy, made Wesker a GOOD GUY who cared about the human race, and turned Umbrella into a bunch of dumbasses who takes orders from a little girl although she is a computer program), over the top Matrix styled fight scenes, EXPLOSIONS, GUN BATTLES, and DMC styled stunts....but with slllllooooooowwwwwww moooooooo and lets not forget the 3D

Resident Evil 6 could've been a better live action RE movie.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

Bible Black dubbed is hilarious.

As for the Dragonball movie, to be fair, not even Japan would have made a better movie because Dragonball just is something that should stay in animation. And when it comes to anime adaptions anyway I've only seen one good one. That was Rurouni Kenshin. Death Note was decent at best. Everything else pretty much blows.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i pray to god anyone but mulchay or critt do a devil may cry movie. i want del torro to do it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The Tekken movie says hi.
Ahh that movie was so dumb. I only liked the fight between Jin and Law. That was actually a pretty cool fight. And the guy playing Heiachi Mishima was pretty cool. Then again, that's probably just because as soon as I saw him I thought of the Mortal Kombat movie and "YOUR SOUL IS MINE!"

When talking about fighting game adaptions Mortal Kombat is the best. Hell, I'd argue the first Mortal Kombat movie is the best video game movie ever.(the 2nd film sucks, it doesn't exist) I also personally love the Street Fighter movie because it's so silly. It's hilarious and Raul Julia is the BEST BISON EVER!

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Ahh that movie was so dumb. I only liked the fight between Jin and Law. That was actually a pretty cool fight. And the guy playing Heiachi Mishima was pretty cool. Then again, that's probably just because as soon as I saw him I thought of the Mortal Kombat movie and "YOUR SOUL IS MINE!"

When talking about fighting game adaptions Mortal Kombat is the best. Hell, I'd argue the first Mortal Kombat movie is the best video game movie ever.(the 2nd film sucks, it doesn't exist) I also personally love the Street Fighter movie because it's so silly. It's hilarious and Raul Julia is the BEST BISON EVER!

all sarcasm aside. there was an SF movie?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
all sarcasm aside. there was an SF movie?
Yea, and I'm not being sarcastic. I seriously love the Street Fighter movie. I like watching bad/ridiculous movies. It's fun. I don't care what anyone says because I also enjoy the Super Mario Bros. movie. That's another fun video game movie.

Top Bottom