• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Eastern to Western

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
One during the 90's when Jeanne Claude Van Damme is Guile and Kylie Minogue is Cammy.

There is also Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. It stars Kristin Kreuk as Chun-Li.
The Legend of Chun Li just officially sucks. Van Damme as Guile is awesome. I always thought Van Damme was cool. Probably because I watched Bloodsport quite a bit when I was a kid lol. And again Raul Julia was amazing as Bison.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The Legend of Chun Li just officially sucks. Van Damme as Guile is awesome. I always thought Van Damme was cool. Probably because I watched Bloodsport quite a bit when I was a kid lol. And again Raul Julia was amazing as Bison.
Oh yeah, that's right. Street Fighter was inspired by Bloodspurt (Van Damme accent and pun double-joke) so, I really don't get why he would sign up for Street Fighter in the first place if he already did the proper version of the film.

Money? Money. :)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Oh yeah, that's right. Street Fighter was inspired by Bloodspurt (Van Damme accent and pun double-joke) so, I really don't get why he would sign up for Street Fighter in the first place if he already did the proper version of the film.

Money? Money. :)
More money for his bank accunt.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Ahh that movie was so dumb.

Why? Because they remove the complex and often BS mystic powers to boil it down to what the series is at heart, a father vs. Son revenge story? Because they didn't use some of the fifty quadrillion characters to streamline the cast? Because they used the story from the 3rd game, which introduced the hero of the franchise, instead of the first, which was a start of darkness for the Big Bad?

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Y'know, I'm starting to not see the differences in "east and west" and if those concepts even hold true anymore. Same thing with "race", but that's another (controversial) matter; I just see it as people who just look different, what does that have to matter with anything? Anyway, there are plenty of media made by "foreign" developers. Samurai Jack, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and The Legend of Korra come to mind about western people creating an eastern story. Jack is not a stereotyped Asian man or the bishonen common - for whatever reason - in today's shows. Jack is a samurai, simple as that. He's a warrior that shows grace and rigidity in his swordsmanship and martial arts. Similarly, the Avatar series includes eastern influences through martial arts, architecture, and philosophies. Then you have anime/manga like Baccano! and Monster that are set in western areas. Baccano! - so I've been told - is set in the United States with various European immigrants and "native" Americans. Alchemy is part of the anime as well; an old dream of science that is usually linked to Europe. Monster is set in Germany about a Japanese doctor who unwittingly saves the life of a traumatized man named Johan, who is an Anti-Christ figure or tragic villain of the story. There aren't a lot of gruff, war-torn, serious men in the two. Instead, you have a man who has repressed memories of super-soldier training in Monster. He's like the many soldiers who return with PTSD, not like the many characters who end up in war, get tough, and return hardened, but not traumatized. The man is quiet and constantly grins as if masking his true feelings.

With films, Donnie Yen has done a fantastic job with Flashpoint and SPL: Sha Po Lang by incorporating MMA. It's not this wrestle and ground-pound away or clumsy, brutal punching. No, you have stand-up fighting, throws and grapples, locks, and ground fights. The fights are fast, brutal, and graceful and SPL even had a fencing influenced fight. When many think of western martial arts, "graceful" doesn't come to mind often when sluggers are usually shown in films. Capoeira is one of the most fluid, graceful, and beautiful martial arts. Guess what? It's Brazilian, as in part of the so-called west. Sambo, a Russian martial art with roots in Judo and various eastern European wrestling styles, is pretty wicked too. With eastern martial arts, "graceful" usually applies. Muay Thai already disproves that most eastern martial arts are "graceful"; Muay Thai is pure brutality. Karate, Judo, and Akido aren't really that graceful, they're more rigid or fluid along with being simple and deadly. It's not like Bagua or Drunken Fist which have various techniques that seem graceful. Anyway, recently, Warrior, another martial arts film involving MMA was released (2011). Let's just say, that as a recent, western martial arts film, this takes the cake. I haven't watched any of the Rocky films, but I seen some of the fights and they're really authentic with the camera placement.

Metal Gear is a noticeable example of a western game from an eastern studio. It's not just gung-ho, gruff, hairy men running around with BFGs and killing people - the games reward you with non-lethal tactics. It's convoluted at times and philosophical as well. There's a colorful cast ranging from cold-blooded killers, to crazed murderers, comic relief, broken soldiers, idealists, and regular people. Western games aren't just bearded men with the same tough personalities and sometimes witty or dry joker. On the flip side, we have Sleeping Dogs, made by western developers, based on Hong Kong action films. They did their research; the team went to Hong Kong and talked to Triad members, I believe, to get an idea of how a Triad would function. Sleeping Dogs overall felt like a Hong Kong action film and I don't think there were many stereotypes.

In the past, "west" and "east" might have been more defined. In the past, a western game could have been a fantasy game based in medieval times with darker tones; basically, games like Diablo, Elder Scrolls, etc. An eastern game could have been more whimsical and "cuter", like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Phantasy Star. Then you have games like Deus Ex, Fire Emblem, Mother, Suikoden, and Castlevania which didn't really fit into the whole "eastern" or "western" game. Castlevania was dark and twisted. Fire Emblem, especially the Japanese-only releases, were really serious and twisted. Deus Ex wasn't that dark, as far as I know, but more thought provoking. Suikoden was a Japanese game with serious tones; it was based on a Chinese novel, Shui Hu Zhuan. Mother, despite it's cutesy/deranged graphics, was really mature and ahead of its times. Nowadays, the lines between "east" and "west" - to me - seem much blurrier than ever. A game can be punk, without seeming western. Or a game can be dark without being western. While another can be whimsical without being eastern. I don't know, I just think that the "eastern" and "western" thing needs to end.

The end result is a game. Be it thoughtful, cute, horrifying, disturbing, edgy, or serious, a game should stand on its own merits. "Eastern" developers don't have to be more "western" or be the only developers to make "eastern" games. Just as "western" developers shouldn't limit themselves to "western" games or be more "eastern".

When Capcom wanted to be more "western", instead, they should have said they wanted to be more "emphatic" with some of its games; published or in-house. DmC was supposed to invoke more emotions than the past DMC games did. Dragon's Dogma was a game based on medieval Europe with monsters by Japanese developers; any developer can make a game outside of its culture, Capcom proved that, although other developers probably did before, it's just that people forget. It's just strange...

I leave with a picture of Chun Li, since this thread ended up discussing films....
n4fe003f728362.jpg

Opps, wrong Chun Li... Then again, I didn't specify which Chun Li.

EvilX-81

When talking about fighting game adaptions Mortal Kombat is the best. Hell, I'd argue the first Mortal Kombat movie is the best video game movie ever.(the 2nd film sucks, it doesn't exist) I also personally love the Street Fighter movie because it's so silly. It's hilarious and Raul Julia is the BEST BISON EVER!

Neh, I'm probably one of the few that doesn't like the MK movie. Probably the unreal expectations I had for it, but little blood, no gory fatailities, barely any of the awesome special moves from the game (Liu Kang's little fireball palm at the end was pathetic. Johnny Cage's running shadow kick was pretty awesome however, and Sub Zero's ice powers looked cool.... you heard me), and I didn't like the changes or how they played out in most places. Sub Zero losing via convenient bucket of water? Scorpion's living spear creature thing? Goro being basically tricked off the side of a mountain?

Guh. I'd love to see a reboot of this franchise. Give it to the people behind Raid Redemption at least for epic fight choreography or the people behind the Storm riders. Also, f**k pandering to the underage, Rated R.

Top Bottom