• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Devil May Cry vs. Devil May Cry... (keep it civil, or else).

Classic Dante v. Rebooted Dante (The Old and the New)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
The problem with this poll and the reason i didn't vote is because which "Classic Dante" are you referring about?

The Dante from the original series has a very inconsistent personality. Do i want the world-weary, witty Dante from DMC 1? Or do i want the more serious and stoic Dante from DMC2? DMC 3 and DMC 4 Dante are pretty much the same in personality, but in DMC 3 Dante's case his personality fit with the context of the timeline and he experienced some character growth. DMC 4 is just a sociopath who doesn't care about anyone practically and didn't learn anything from anyone, no character growth there.

Same thing with picking the "Original Games". Which game is it? And are you basing it on storyline-wise or just gameplay-wise?

With the DMC series its not as clear cut as in other series, you have to be more specific on what you're asking about.

GodhandZawarudo

Signed up so I could give my two cents on this.

Alright so here it is. If DmC was a standalone game that had absolutely nothing to do with the DMC series I'd consider it decent for a hackNslash genre, with a somewhat irritating character. However, this isn't just some random hackNslash game, this is a continuation of an already established, well liked franchise with a loyal base.

Let's focus on gameplay for now; DmC's gameplay is much better than DMC2's, without a doubt. DMC2 was a pretty terrible game all around, I think most fans would agree with this. Its gameplay is more complex than DMC1's, but not really in a skill based way. Despite the more simple combat mechanics, I felt that DMC1 required more focus and timing on my part in order to pull off proper combos. Through and through I found that I could pull off nice combos in DmC without putting in much effort. There's no real penalty for abusing the same weapon, and the game doesn't encourage switching weapon's mid combo due to the way style points are awarded. They try to address this a bit later game with altered colored enemies, where you're forced to use either angel or demon weapon's, however it felt more forced and actually somewhat hindered the more freestyle feeling that I've gotten from previous games.

And then we get to DMC3. Imo, DmC doesn't even hold a candle in terms of gameplay, in the least bit. DMC3 had such an amazing assortment of weapons that you actually had to learn to master in order to properly chain with other weapons mid combo. You couldn't simply just abuse the same weapon and petty combo to get by with style, no. You actually had to put much more thought and effort into it. Nevan alone took much more skill and discipline to properly use than pretty much all the weapons in DmC combined, for me at least. DmC was more or less a huge step backwards in terms of gameplay, for a DMC series at least.

And finally we have DMC4, which more or less improved on all the aspects of DMC3 and made it even sleeker. The combat was very fast paced, yet didn't lose any of the ebb & flow of DMC3. As far as gameplay is concerned, DMC4 is where they should have continued on from. Instead they took a huge step backwards, and frankly it's very disappointing.

tl;dr DmC without being related to the DMC series would have been a standard to decent hackNslash game. However, with the exception of DMC2, pales in comparison to previous game and actually sets the franchise as a whole backwards.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
DMC1 was okay with gameplay, but its story was a bit of a borefest because I didn't like how dull it was.
DMC2 just sucked
DMC3 was an anime cliche with no substance or actual intresting style.
DMC4 was pathetic all the way through.
DmC was standard DMC1 all over again.

But out of all of them, DmC rains supreme because it doesn't follow the same over used formula DMC uses therefore making it the better game in my opinion. Its gameplay is unique to the series, its story (though bland and a bit cliche) was a different take from the anime shonen shouta bullcrap, and the environment was everything the original DMC wished it was.

Does that make it a good game? Nope. It's still crap no matter how you slice it just as the past games were.

I Make The Devils Cry

Alright to clarify, when I use "vs." I use it in the sense of say, a friendly competition between two things, or as a decision, or contest (that and it makes for a much more interesting, yet cliché title); it was something I did consider somewhat necessary because without it there wouldn't be that sense that you had to make a decision of some sort.

Personally I love both, just when it comes to the end of the day, DmC: Devil May Cry has my favour with me, that is what I was stating much earlier, and as to why I posted this, because I wanted to know what people preferred at this time; this was also why I allowed multiple votes, because I knew some may vote for one, some, all or none, and in the end it still achieves the same outcome in where I know what I want to know.

As to the "keep it civil, or else" just a reminder that you can openly hate on anything you wish, just that I would hope that you would be civil, debate and discuss it, rather than turn it into a case of who can swear the most at one another.

I am aware that over the course of the series Dante has a varying range or perspective and attitude, however when I refer to Dante of the classic variety, I mean it as in appearance primarily for that example (someone who donned the large red coat, and has white, or to some, silver hair with a big-ass sword, guns and will travel) and would leave it to the person voting as to which Dante they would prefer if they so chose to vote for him; you could have voted, stated it, and then stated as to which one you voted for in particular.

Overall honestly, a lot of this has to be maintained by the people, which it has been done so far; so you're doing very well, and keeping it civil :)

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
DMC1 was okay with gameplay, but its story was a bit of a borefest because I didn't like how dull it was.
DMC2 just sucked
DMC3 was an anime cliche with no substance or actual intresting style.
DMC4 was pathetic all the way through.
DmC was standard DMC1 all over again.

But out of all of them, DmC rains supreme because it doesn't follow the same over used formula DMC uses therefore making it the better game in my opinion. Its gameplay is unique to the series, its story (though bland and a bit cliche) was a different take from the anime shonen shouta bullcrap, and the environment was everything the original DMC wished it was.

Does that make it a good game? Nope. It's still crap no matter how you slice it just as the past games were.

you gotta think about the time period these games were in though.
DMC1 worked because of the times it was made in.
DMC2 i feel was ahead of its time, and along with so many other games like it, it was hated
DMC3 should have been the direct sequel to DMC1 because it takes the darkness of DMC1 and adds a bit of color to it. not only that but it would have been perfect for the DBZ audience at the time. that way DMC2's edgy style wouldn't have been too much of a reminder of how dark the DMC series can get.
DMC4 was ok. its just out of touch though. thats why mainly people who liked DMC3 liked DMC4 and people who love DMC1 and 2 think that DMC4 is god awful. it feels like superman returns to me. it tries to bridge the old with the new but when its tries it fails hard
DmC i believe is this generations answer to "they live". not only that but it fits in perfectly with the modern ideals of "illuminati" and demons posing as celebrities and suits ruling humanity

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I voted all of the above.
I'm such a rebel. ^_^
I approve;)
A6dwpDW_zps7afac95a.png

tumblr_lrmwhmy17G1qe3fl9_zps2c774d0f.gif

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Personally, I prefer DMC3 Dante over all of them

Unlike, the others DMC3 Dante actually ACTS like he has super powers. He is a total showoff. He practically wants to just use the super powers for the sake of using them.

While many people say DmC Dante is exactly like DMC3 Dante, he's just not though.

When I picture DMC 3 Dante I see a BAMF demon hunter

When I picture DmC Dante, I see Skrillex with a sword and guns

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I prefer DmC Dante than DMC2/Anime/DMC4 Dante because Dante is more sympathethic and actually feels necessary to the story where in those stories, you could have replaced him with Trish and nothing would have changed.

In tems off Reboot, I prefer TGS10 aka "psycho Dante" over Captivate 12 AKA "Fratboy Dante" because I felt they should have stuck to their guns and used him rather than listening to the fans because Fratboy Dante feels less interesting a character in the final product so im interested in seeing what the original idea for the reboot was.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
and the environment was everything the original DMC wished it was..
I gotta disagree on that one environments were really unique&atmospheric the soundtrack was also fantastic it still holds up today pretty well.
DmC i believe is this generations answer to "they live". not only that but it fits in perfectly with the modern ideals of "illuminati" and demons posing as celebrities and suits ruling humanity
i actually see it as brilliant dark comedy.
this vergilmobile+Fauxnews = EPIC WIN in my book.

When I picture DmC Dante, I see Skrillex with a sword and guns
Don't make me Photoshop his face on him.

Anyway.
As usual my favourites remain DMC1 and 3 in terms of characters and story development.Especially when it comes to Dante.
And also DmC..and maybe 4,I liked some things about it.

One thing I seem to be confused of is that people whine about useless things like:
DMC 3 Dante is too anime.Which leads to:
V
DMC4 Dante looks like a unshaven clown.They made him more realistic looking but still not right.
DMC2 Dante is way too serious. People whined about DMC4 Dante being too talkative and childish,but this one is too quiet.
DmC Dante is an emo crying loser.

People should leave poor Dante alone,nobody seems to be happy with what they get,you either can stand it or not.

He's Dante,he isn't meant to be taken as a perfect character or a role model anyway xD.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Thank you. Yes, they're all crap. :lol:
DMC2 i feel was ahead of its time, and along with so many other games like it, it was hated
How so? I liked some of the aesthetic, (the look of the city level and Dante's costume) but I didn't like the gameplay or the story.
In tems off Reboot, I prefer TGS10 aka "psycho Dante" over Captivate 12 AKA "Fratboy Dante" because I felt they should have stuck to their guns and used him rather than listening to the fans because Fratboy Dante feels less interesting a character in the final product so im interested in seeing what the original idea for the reboot was.
Oh God, yes. Psycho Dante FTW.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
How so? I liked some of the aesthetic, (the look of the city level and Dante's costume) but I didn't like the gameplay or the story.

Sorry to intrude, but without DMC2, there wouldn't be a DMC3. As for it being ahead of its time =X maybe it was rushed a little because i thought the combat was fine. The enemies sucked and guns were overpowered but, the combos were interesting. You could fire your shotgun at the end of a combo, in 3 different ways!! And you can use twosome time while using the shotgun!!. I also thought the twosome time with ebony and ivory was better than DMC3 and i think rainstorm felt better pulling off in DMC2 because you actually had to be upside down in the air to do it. Also Rebellion had like 3 alternative ground combos instead of 2!! Wall running without needing to change styles. This game had mad potential...... but...... alas.... everyone hates it

but i stilll like it:cool:

GodhandZawarudo

While I prefer the personality and style of original Dante, I think most true fans of the series would be able to forgive every single thing about the new Dante if the gameplay was solid.

I can tell you right now, if we had the exact same type of amazing gameplay of DMC4, only with the new Dante, myself and many fans would be cursing the new Dante while at the same time playing the hell out of the game.

It would be more like a love/hate relationship, vs just outright pure hatred. And also, the game wouldn't have sold so badly. Capcom would have been able to keep the hardcore fans who focus on gameplay, and also lure on newbies who like the new Dante and environments.

DmC could have truly been something unique, but instead the opportunity was squandered, and now the fate of the series is up in the air.

tl;dr Yes we hate new Dante's hair and personality, but had the gameplay been as good as DMC3/4 we'd be too busy enjoying the game to hate on new Dante.

Edit 2: Instead of us being all like: "Fu** you? Wow, what an immature emo b*stard... :/"

We'd instead be like: "YEAH, FU** YOU!!!! :D" *combo, combo, awesome freestyle combo, SSSTLISHY STYLISH COMBO, etc.*

Reactions: Jak

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I can tell you right now, if we had the exact same type of amazing gameplay of DMC4, only with the new Dante, myself and many fans would be cursing the new Dante while at the same time playing the hell out of the game.
Got a point, there.

Krieg is best psycho
411px-Krieg.jpg
Thank you for finding "boss form" of yourself. Congrats on being the fourth-highest boss in my non-existant game. :lol:

...well there is no spinning....

Its still a rainstorm because he's upside down:p
I swear, I saw a DMC2 combo vid where he spins while doing the rainstorm. I've been looking for one where he does it, but no luck so far. I'm just gonna stop looking.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
No offense intended, and I only speak for myself, but when I hear people saying DmC has an incredibly original story I just go: ''Nooo. Nohohooo. No.''

The idea of companies or the 'upper class' dominating the populace is by no means an original idea. Heck, go to Facebook and you'll probably find loads of pages made by people who feel that way. The government is evil, Obama is a puppet, democracy is a complete lie, I've heard it all, said by people without actual experience in these fields, some of them possibly preferring anarchy. It's like people complaining about the fact that most products contain artificial flavoring. It's not a way to keep us drugged, the Illuminati did not suddenly reappear after dying out in 1785, and it's ridiculous to think that there's secret clubs who made their way into government and now enslave us all. How on earth would they stay secret, if people like us can be elected into government? Not long ago, Stephen Colbert's sister ran in an electoral race. Besides, their intent would be to stay secret, not to go ''here we are!'' Like you said, if They Live was like this, then how is this original?

Sorry if all this seems obvious or off the point, but I felt the need to say this. I feel that a plot of ''hey, this guy wants to rule the world'' or something, like that of DMC4, deserves just as much respect, corny though it may be. I think both these types of plots are kind of dull, really; it's the execution of it that matters. I really don't think originality equals quality, just like that South Park book story of ''the guy who peed turds out of his schlong'' is original, but not good. Sorry about that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom