• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC: Devil May Cry vs. Devil May Cry... (keep it civil, or else).

Classic Dante v. Rebooted Dante (The Old and the New)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
"I'm sorry madam but this isn't like any other sexually transmitted disease I've ever come across before. You say you slept with a demon?".

"Well...yeah...but I'm gonna be ok right?!".

"No you're gonna die"...

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Until he uppercuts you, steals the beer, and then takes the check and writes "F*CK YOU!" on it then throws it on you leaving you with it since he has no money since well he is poor...better yet homeless.

Plus I don't associate myself with the homeless. *pulls out handkerchief* Rotten plebeians. I'm a goddamn Squirtle.

but without me, he has no stripper money :troll:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
"I'm sorry madam but this isn't like any other sexually transmitted disease I've ever come across before. You say you slept with a demon?".

"Well...yeah...but I'm gonna be ok right?!".

"No you're gonna die"...
There's a worse STI than that: DEMONIC PREGNANCY!:lol::troll:
I figure that could kill..and if it doesn't, then a few months later you'll have a baby escaping from your head like this

but without me, he has no stripper money :troll:
Don't take away his stripper money. That's mean. What else will he do to entertain himself...I think we all know what he would do.:troll:

Reactions: Jak

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
There's a worse STI than that: DEMONIC PREGNANCY!:lol::troll:
I figure that could kill..and if it doesn't, then a few months later you'll have a baby escaping from your head like this

Don't take away his stripper money. That's mean. What else will he do to entertain himself...I think we all know what he would do.:troll:

"Yeah but I just take this pill right and the baby is aborted, right Doc...Right Doc?!".

"Nope you're still gonna die"...

Dante would get a hobby for entertainment, surely. I can't possibly tell what you...Oh masturbation. Got it.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
"Yeah but I just take this pill right and the baby is aborted, right Doc...Right Doc?!".

"Nope you're still gonna die"...
If you really want to kill it, you'll have to wait till near the end of the game when you get kidnapped and a white haired nephilim guy decides to take a snipe at you with his gun....you'll still be dead though.:troll:

Dante would get a hobby for entertainment, surely. I can't possibly tell what you...Oh masturbation. Got it.
Of course;) Or maybe he takes up drunk hungover flower arranging....:troll:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
In terms of character, their equal.

i think the problem i have with DmC Dante is that they didn't make the new past they were trying to give him fit who he became in captivate 12 so hes just as confused as old dante was.

I see what you mean now. It is like he mellowed out after being with Kat for a while.
I guess sharing their past stories was enough for Dante to open up. Kat was probably the first person who just wanted to talk to him instead of be a demon in disguise out to kill him. For Dante, that would have been a big thing, so it was natural for him to get upset when she was beaten up in front of him and then held hostage. Though why his care of Kat suddenly extends to all humans by the end is a bit odd, you're right about that. I can't really think of a reason why he would make that connection.:/

I mean like you said, it would make sense for him to tone back his snark when Kat gets kidnapped. But then again, he is making snarky comments again in Lilith's club, and the Plan "This must be corporate hell" "She was right. This is Hell", and even the mission before you fight Mundus, Vergil and Dante joke back and forth. So I guess, I'm not sure where he loses his snark or attitude at any point.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I mean like you said, it would make sense for him to tone back his snark when Kat gets kidnapped. But then again, he is making snarky comments again in Lilith's club, and the Plan "This must be corporate hell" "She was right. This is Hell", and even the mission before you fight Mundus, Vergil and Dante joke back and forth. So I guess, I'm not sure where he loses his snark or attitude at any point.
At the club, he was telling Lilith to 'get the f.uck down here' but that was out of anger. The after he defeats her, he's not as cocky as when he killed succubus or Bob, but I guess that's because that part of the plot was about a hostage situation, so he needed to be more serious.
I don't think he loses it, more like he just tones it back, does a little less swearing. He still comes out with things that are snarky, but he chooses the right time to do it. It seems like the bit where he's taunting Mundus, it's like he had to force himself to do it just to get Mundus angry. So, maybe it is a sign of him maturing...

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
At the club, he was telling Lilith to 'get the f.uck down here' but that was out of anger. The after he defeats her, he's not as cocky as when he killed succubus or Bob, but I guess that's because that part of the plot was about a hostage situation, so he needed to be more serious.
I don't think he loses it, more like he just tones it back, does a little less swearing. He still comes out with things that are snarky, but he chooses the right time to do it. It seems like the bit where he's taunting Mundus, it's like he had to force himself to do it just to get Mundus angry. So, maybe it is a sign of him maturing...

To me he doesn't lose anything is just that his character constantly flip flops between sardonic, cocky, and crude to serious and sympathetic sometimes even caring and nice when the plot demands it.

He walks into a Night Club to get Lilith so he can rescue Kat but first uppercuts a bouncer, writes f*ck you on his board, and then drops it on him while saying a joke all with a stupid confident grin/smile on his face then the moment he walks into the club he is all serious and angry especially when he meets Lilith and then proceeds back to the jokes and one liners (Barbie, only a face a mother can love). Lets not forget during his fight with Bob when Bob shows that the Order where being attacked (Kat and Vergil is in danger) he is very concerned and worried but after beating Bob this aspect of worriness seems absent as he was able to shoot one more corny one liner and even walk out very slowly after beating Bob almost as if his worries of Kat and Vergil being in danger alleviated from him.

It seems Dante's character and character progression throughout the game has been rather inconsistent or poorly managed. Certain scenes thrown in there to just make Dante look cool when he needed to be serious and scenes were thrown into there to make Dante sympathetic and nice despite him being a prick not too long ago.

Lets not forget certain aspects of the story that is heavily stressed upon on Dante such as Phineas warning Dante that Mundus's wrath could lead to a lot of human casualties but after Dante defeated Mundus as a result of Dante angering Mundus the city was destroyed and there was many human casualties but nor Dante or the plot even reflected upon the damage and human deaths that Dante and Vergil was technically responsible for (or better yet doesn't recall Phineas's advice about Mundus's wrath and the casualties that could arise) but want to know what he and Vergil did (well Vergi don't really count in this)? Dante bragged about who did the most work and laughed it off and for some odd reason Dante wants to be mankind's guardian despite Mundus being right about him causing nothing but destruction and death and being very nonchalant/unsympathetic about the human casualties that he caused.

Nor did the story made any attempt to even make the human casualties a factor to the aftermath ignoring Phineas's prophecy literally making that one aspect of the story meaningless. People still died (there were corpses in the office/buildings when you walked through them in Mission 19 and lets not forget the amount of people being dragged into Mundus along with the debris) for its hard to believe there would be zero casualties in all the damage that was done.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Nor did the story made any attempt to even make the human casualties a factor to the aftermath ignoring Phineas's prophecy literally making that one aspect of the story meaningless. People still died (there were corpses in the office/buildings when you walked through them in Mission 19 and lets not forget the amount of people being dragged into Mundus along with the debris) for its hard to believe there would be zero casualties in all the damage that was done.
There is something in the hidden captions about the dead humans as a result of what they did...shame it wasn't included in the game.:/

They were celebrating killing Mundus and freeing mankind...then the picture pans out to show the city in flames, totally wrecked and a load of dead people. It's like some kind of dark humour. Yeah...you guys did it...woo hoo *sarcastic clapping*.

Not sure if humans were better off under Mundus' control or not. They were slaves, but they had their normal lives, and they weren't aware of being controlled anway.
Then Vergil and Dante take out Virility which would make the people wake up and start to panic if they saw any demons; then they got Mundus so angry that he wrecked a big chunk of the city...and then with humans completely free of the demons, with a city in ruins, loads of dead people, and demons running around in plain sight...I'd say that would cause mass panic with the humans acting like a bunch of chickens running around with thier heads chopped off.>_<

Besides, either way, it's not like they saved humans at all. They put them in a worse situation than they were already in. And what will happen to humans when they die now that there is no Limbo and no hellgate to siphon their souls as fuel for hell and Mundus?:/ I didn't hear Vergil talking about any heaven, just hell and how humans were like attle for demons. So the souls of humanity are still in trouble.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
There is something in the hidden captions about the dead humans as a result of what they did...shame it wasn't included in the game.:/

They were celebrating killing Mundus and freeing mankind...then the picture pans out to show the city in flames, totally wrecked and a load of dead people. It's like some kind of dark humour. Yeah...you guys did it...woo hoo *sarcastic clapping*.

Not sure if humans were better off under Mundus' control or not. They were slaves, but they had their normal lives, and they weren't aware of being controlled anway.
Then Vergil and Dante take out Virility which would make the people wake up and start to panic if they saw any demons; then they got Mundus so angry that he wrecked a big chunk of the city...and then with humans completely free of the demons, with a city in ruins, loads of dead people, and demons running around in plain sight...I'd say that would cause mass panic with the humans acting like a bunch of chickens running around with thier heads chopped off.>_<

Besides, either way, it's not like they saved humans at all. They put them in a worse situation than they were already in. And what will happen to humans when they die now that there is no Limbo and no hellgate to siphon their souls as fuel for hell and Mundus?:/ I didn't hear Vergil talking about any heaven, just hell and how humans were like attle for demons. So the souls of humanity are still in trouble.

If angels exists (in DmC) then there should be a heaven (in DmC) as well.

Personally, now I kind of agree with Vergil about ruling mankind. After the sh*t they caused there needs to be someone to at least establish order and prevent mankind from killing themselves.....................buuuuuuuuuut considering how the people were able to take pics and post them on twitter and the whole "DEMONS WE HAVE AWOKEN" I think they can manage.....at least that was how the narrative set it up. That humans have the power to overcome anything because Dante says so.

Also, lets not forget that Dante doesn't only decide to kill Mundus because he feels an obligation to save mankind. I think a large motivation for Dante is getting revenge for the death of his mother and destruction of his family. I think while it may seem darkly funny for them to be high fiving each other while the world lays in ruins, its just them justifying their actions so they can feel good about how far their quest for vengeance has brought them.

I think the thought process probably goes something like this for Dante: parents avenged, Kat Saved, and oh, yeah, Mankind liberated, I"m awesome, right?.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Also, lets not forget that Dante doesn't only decide to kill Mundus because he feels an obligation to save mankind. I think a large motivation for Dante is getting revenge for the death of his mother and destruction of his family. I think while it may seem darkly funny for them to be high fiving each other while the world lays in ruins, its just them justifying their actions so they can feel good about how far their quest for vengeance has brought them.

I think the thought process probably goes something like this for Dante: parents avenged, Kat Saved, and oh, yeah, Mankind liberated, I"m awesome.

So Dante getting his revenge mattered more than countless humans lost their lives because of them? I guess the freedom aspect as well but didn't the whole moral aspect of saving mankind stems either when he faced Mundus and he said for freedom or when he fought Mundus but prior to that he spent the entire game with the intent of killing Mundus because he killed his mother and he wanted to get him back nor did he show much care about mankind outside Kat. I know sometimes casualties can be inevitable but christ man can you at least respect the dead especially if its your fault they died in the first place and wouldn't trying to justify the fact they (or Dante) caused so many human casualties with the fact they achieved their goal make him an unfit defender for mankind if he shows how little he really cares of human (not named Kat) and rather justify all the human casualties as "well I got what I wanted to get done".

Even (some) countries and governments after winning a war acknowledges the sacrifices and the people lost and don't ignore it and go celebrating their victories.

I think the thought process probably goes something like this for Dante: parents avenged, Kat Saved, and oh, yeah, Mankind liberated, I"m awesome.

Yeah someone who thinks like that after the damage they caused is the last person I want protecting me. It shows how little they care or even respect others unless they achieve their goals even if they're goals are of positive intent. That shows severe irresponsibility and general lack for the well being of others (unless they're Kat).

Some protector/guardian you are.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
So Dante getting his revenge mattered more than countless humans lost their lives because of them? I guess the freedom aspect as well but didn't the whole moral aspect of saving mankind stems either when he faced Mundus and he said for freedom or when he fought Mundus but prior to that he spent the entire game with the intent of killing Mundus because he killed his mother and he wanted to get him back nor did he show much care about mankind outside Kat. I know sometimes casualties can be inevitable but christ man can you at least respect the dead especially if its your fault they died in the first place and wouldn't trying to justify the fact they (or Dante) caused so many human casualties with the fact they achieved their goal make him an unfit defender for mankind if he shows how little he really cares of human (not named Kat) and rather justify all the human casualties as "well I got what I wanted to get done".

Even (some) countries and governments after winning a war acknowledges the sacrifices and the people lost and don't ignore it and go celebrating their victories.

Yeah someone who thinks like that after the damage they caused is the last person I want protecting me. It shows how little they care or even respect others unless they achieve their goals even if they're goals are of positive intent. That shows severe irresponsibility and general lack for the well being of others (unless they're Kat).

same can be said about practically every superhero.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
same can be said about practically every superhero.
Yep, like the whole Thor VS Loki thing. Those movies were a lot like DmC...then again comparison is easy to make between the two. Thor falls for a human and then wants to protect mankind because of her.He literally says in The Avengers movie 'the Earth is under my protection' and that's only because he got himself a girlfriend.

Loki goes off the rails due to wanting to make Odin proud of him but grows to hate him (like Vergil and Eva)...then Loki goes on about how mankind wants to be controlled and how he should be the one to do it. Maybe it was because I was watching Thor and Avengers movies yesterday, but there are so many comparisons between the two. Heroes are all the same...not that it's a bad thing, but it's no wonder I find myself cheering for Loki when Thor is such a boastful moron in the first movie.

Vergil and Dante are as bad as each other, but in different ways. Either way you slice it, something is going to go wrong.
It's not like Dante even really fully understood what he was a part of until Phineas warned him about what Mundus would do and who would take his place. I'm wondering, if Phineas had not given Dante that message, would he have reacted so harshly to Vergil declaring humans as their subjects to rule over?:/ Or would Dante have just gone along with it just like he did when Vergil suggested killing Bob, Succubus and letting Kat wipe the servers during the raid. It's like Dante just followed whatever Vergil said until Kat was kidnapped, then suddenly Dante is arguing with Vergil for the trade. Saving Kat was the first action that he took without Vergil telling him to do it.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton

You forgot that when Limbo merged with the Human world, all they did was stand there and just watch as humanity was in peril and just...smiled, as their watching a mass panic happening and not thinking at this moment, " We probably should go help kill the demons right now."

Yeah...some protector Dante is.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
You forgot that when Limbo merged with the Human world, all they did was stand there and just watch as humanity was in peril and just...smiled, as their watching a mass panic happening and not thinking at this moment, " We probably should go help kill the demons right now."

Vergil: We've done it, brother. Humanity is finally free from demon control.

Dante: Uh, what about the demons running around?

Vergil: Who cares. We defeated Mundus. Now let's sit back with some popcorn and watch as society collapses.

Dante: Sure.

Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert_zps6b6671bf.gif

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014

technically, the demons NEED the humans to stay alive because if a demon kills a human soul, then that soul will not be avenged and not be able to pass into the afterlife in this case the afterlife being mundus's batcave thing. and if souls stop going there, then the demons can't survive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom