• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC "Deserved Better"

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
http://pixelgate.co.uk/dmc-devil-may-cry-deserved-better-rebooting-fans-hate/

--------------------

Fans can be great. They can enhance franchises, allowing creators to get an idea where the next game is heading. They’ll purchase a game without question, supporting it to no end. But what happens when those same fans become overly attached to a franchise in decline?

Reboots are nothing new in any media. When a IP has reached its limits, but still holds potential in other areas, a reboot is the logical answer. Devil May Cry was hardly the perfect franchise. The first entry was drenched in early 2000′s slickness and themes. Dante was the coolest guy rocking a emo/anime hair cut in video games.

--------------------

[38:38 - 43:43]

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
You made a similar thread not a long time ago. This is redundant. I wonder what exactly you're trying to prove making these threads.

I suggest mods keep an eye on this.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Can't we just accept that DmC doesn't exist and move on?

Anytime it's brought up here it goes badly.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Just saying, with an history like yours, having two threads in a row treating pretty much the same inflamatory subject does seem kinda fishy to me.

I can't read minds, granted, but 2+2=4.
Are you going to carry on like this?
Enough, both of you. The thread will be closed before the first page gets filled at this rate.

Everyone, look, if you don't agree with the content of the thread don't participate and let those who what to talk about it do so in peace. This is what causes fights and fights get threads closed. Unless you really want to contribute let people discuss this in peace. If a fight breaks out we'll deal with it, if it derails we'll deal with that. Even with the history these threads have I want to give it the benefit of the doubt so let it run it's course.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Everyone, look, if you don't agree with the content of the thread don't participate and let those who what to talk about it do so in peace. Unless you really want to contribute let people discuss this in peace. Even with the history these threads have I want to give it the benefit of the doubt so let it run it's course.
Yeah, those are the two things I'm really asking for.

For the topic to be discussed in peace, and for you to give it the benefit of the doubt.

No wrongdoing was intended when the thread was posted.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Believe it or not, I don't think enough people played the game to form an opinion on it. It was lambasted by fans to the point where most flat-out refused to play it....but on the other hand, because Capcom marketed it with all the excitement, relevance and awareness-raising of an orphanage fire, outside gamers were either disinclined to even play it based on how it was being presented, or didn't even know about it. Not enough fans played it, not enough outsiders tried it, and not enough people have mentioned it since. It was five-minute controversial attention-grabbing headline news for about a year, and no one in the mainstream gaming press has even mentioned it since. It's only in the advent of Steam sales and boredom that people have even tried it in recent years, which is why you'll see ONE person every other ice age discover the game, pop their head out of the woodworks to proclaim it as either the festering pile fans labeled it as, or a neglected gem, like this article does.

It's not a matter of "not getting what it deserved." It didn't strike enough of a presence when it came out, and thus didn't receive ANYTHING.

Last edited:

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
I for one actually liked DmC, but i can understand the hate also. When it comes down to it most can agree that its not a bad game. Just a bad Devil May Cry game. It was a big change of what DMC is supposed to be and threw out the original formula westernizing it. One look at DmC and you would never have guessed it was the same thing besides a few characters names. It would be like rebooting STAR WARS into Star Trek. Its got miner similarities but really just something completely different entirely.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
its one of those situations thats like if in one big room was huge argument. When its all settled and couple of hours later, somebody jumps from under the table and screams "b…b…b…but its all your fault". I can't actually believe people have so little of their lives, that they wasting time writing articles like this.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
we can't blame anyone for not liking it even if they haven't tried it, and even if they tried, it's pretty hard to like something when you already hate it..

so somewhere along the article there's this "DmC deserved better, not from it's creator but from the fans", well we who liked the game is the fans, and we are what the game deserves, the numbers sold is what the game deserves, i think it's awesome enough that the game got good score from critics, and that is what the game deserves..

i won't force or persuade or convince others to try or like the game, it won't work and why the hell would i do that, we enjoy the game, we're the fans.. and for now the thing i can do is perhaps show the love to capcom or NT and wait for the sequel, **** it, keep pushing and annoy them for a sequel..

Sparda's Rebellion

Style matters in combat.
When I first saw the new trailer at TGS 2010 I was ****ed, I had been waiting like others for DMC5 with the badass Dante we all know and love and then I saw this heroine addict looking teen smoking a cig and shooting his guns in a not very badass way. So you have to understand why people were in shock a little bit after that, if you look at other reboots like Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia, they change the characters up a little but not drastically to the point that they look and act absolutely nothing like the original that fans had grow to love. I bought and played DmC in the end because I love the Devil May Cry series so much and even though the gameplay isn't like DMC3 and 4, it's the closest a game's combat is going to get besides a game like Bayonetta. In the end, I'm glad I bought it and I'm glad enough people bought it to warrant possibly making DMC5, but I'm also very happy that there was enough of an uproar that they're going back to the Dante that I love as my favorite character in gaming and anime. DmC is dead, they're not bringing it back, they told Ninja Theory to all but **** off and get lost in their last financial report after saying over and over again to their shareholders that "outsourcing" is the reason they haven't made money in the last five years. So while I understand that there are fans of DmC, DmC is dead dude and it's definitely not coming back in my opinion after hearing and reading everything Capcom has said about outsourcing being a failure to the company. It's probably time to move on from hopes of a DmC2 or keep thinking about what could have been if fans had actually liked the reboot. It sucks for you because you're one of the one's that liked the reboot but most DMC fans are happy to hear that Capcom wants to go back to the original series, it sucks for you man but it's over, DmC is dead.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I check my deviantART once in a great while, and I'm following some collection communities, like one for Devil May Cry. Most recently there was a slapdash "comparison" graphic between 4!Dante and m!Dante; the content could only be described as some of the most biased garbage I've seen regarding the subject in a long time, where it praises 4!Dante in the most ass-kissing of ways, and vilifies m!Dante with derogatory homosexual terms and the like. It is Twenty-Goddamn-Sixteen!

My point? Many complain about how DmC fans "can't let go" and constantly drudge up the past, but I see just as much (if not more) "haters" who fit the bill. People want to post some artwork of DmC, there's people around to talk trash; people want to play DmC, there are those who will assuredly be around to spew vitriol; and in this case, someone in 2016 made just the shoddiest tripe this side of Sonic OCs because they can't let go. People want to say that DmC fans can't let go, but gee-golly-whiz kids, look at all the fart-cravers who still have a chip on their shoulder. Not just for the game, but for Ninja Theory and Capcom, still feeling as though they somehow spent three years and massive amounts of money insulting them.

Not gonna lie, after seeing that comparison graphic on deviantART and I realized what year it is, I'm beginning to think more than a few people have some mental problems. Take of that what you will.

Viper

Premium
@TWOxACROSS
More than half the people on the internet have mental problems, you're just now realizing it? XD
It takes some practice, but best method of dealing with them is to simply stop paying attention.

Who was interested, bought the game, who was not interested used their right to choose what they want to spend their time and money on.

If someone still bothers to go around and express their hate saturated in poison... just tune them out, clearly they have deeper personal issues and this is an outlet.

Yeah, it's 2016, you should be talking about games themselves, not once more drag out the old issue of how a game was treated.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Oh, it's easy enough to tune out, but when you want to follow the workings of a game and its community, and people are want to dredge the deep for things better left buried, it's difficult to avoid upon first glance.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Most recently there was a slapdash "comparison" graphic between 4!Dante and m!Dante; the content could only be described as some of the most biased garbage I've seen regarding the subject in a long time, where it praises 4!Dante in the most ass-kissing of ways, and vilifies m!Dante with derogatory homosexual terms and the like.
The worst part about that is that it's the modus operandi. DmC and DMC4. Those two were not well received by fans, yeah, there were alot of people who loved them, even I liked DMC4 at one point, but to me they are the low points of the series. Different, yeah, but equally facepalmy. It's like DMC4 got a pass because people saw the alternative and said 'we were wrong, it can get worse.' If there's a DMC5 I'm worried they'll use this whole ordeal to justify it been so much like 4 and less like 3 or 1 and then they'll wonder what it is that they're missing if it get's less than the 5 million they keep expecting.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Why?
No seriously why??

Why is there this constant need to keep DmC relevant when we all know it's now a one-only game? Capcom pretty much made it clear that we probably won't be seeing anymore of the rebooted version, so why this strong desire to make it more then it needs to be?

I personally loved DmC. More then I did DMC4. I thought it was a good break from the same old, same old DMC over and over again. No hyper japanese anime style of killing demons and just gritty grindhouse style. No bishonen protagonist with flowing hair and unique clothes, just a regular dude with short hair and a hooded coat. However the point of the game was still there; hacking and slashing at demons using combos of weapons. It was dark but not extremely dark. It had its humor and it had its self-awareness here and there.

It was a good game, and a good Devil May Cry game. period.

That being said...can we just accept that its done and move on?

I know that's impossible given we got people still flapping their gums about how "DmC ISN'T A REAL DEVIL MAY CRY ONLY TRUE GAMING FANS PLAY THE REEEEEL DMC GAMES DANTES HAIR IS GAY HES A FAGIT" and people kissing its ass about how "ITS THE BEST ONE ONLY ANGRY FANBOYS HATE IT NDANTE BETTER THEN GRANDPA EMO FAGIT HAIR DANTE"
Both sides of that spectrum are either extremely shut in brats who just discovered Devil May Cry or are just seriously immature people who can't let go after SEVEN YEARS.

At this point its sad that we still can't find a middle ground to this, but in the end, it doesn't matter since Devil May Cry's future seems a bit bleak.

Top Bottom