• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC "Deserved Better"

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
If DmC was really so different from its predecessors, I'd be the first one to tell you as I am a very avid fan of both incarnations with DMC 1 still being my absolute favorite.

I'm gonna be very blunt here. The detractors are mainly people, like most of you here, who primarily enjoy DMC 3/4 the most out of all the incarnations and define the series as a whole by those two games.

DmC is still rightfully a friggin Devil May Cry game, and a fun one at that and that's the main reason I play video games. To have fun. I don't see why it's so hard for some people why longtime Devil May Cry fans like myself still enjoy DmC.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
If DmC was really so different from its predecessors, I'd be the first one to tell you as I am a very avid fan of both incarnations

No you're not. You're an avid fan on DMC1. You disliked the direction the series took with each sequel leaving you to ultimately only truly love 1, to which you're also bound by a sentiment of nostalgia (nothing wrong with that btw). Therefore, of course you're not gonna be bothered by a reboot.

However this statement:

The detractors are mainly people, like most of you here, who primarily enjoy DMC 3/4 the most out of all the incarnations and define the series as a whole by those two games.

is false and willfully ignorant (not intended as an offense). You know well that there are fans who love DMC1 just as much as you if not more and hold that one as their favorite who STILL don't like DmC.

Take @berto. His fav is DMC1, he strongly dislikes DMC4. He still also dislikes DmC. That argument you like to make so often, is too narrow minded and absolutist, and ignores the fact that the DMC fan base is extremely vary when it comes to what games they like. There are those who love 1 and dislike everything else, there are those who like only 1 and 3, those who like all except 2, those who actually like 2, those who hate 3, those who love 3 and dislike the rest, and so on and on and on.

Come on Chancey, that argument is as outdated as the topic of that article.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Sooooorryyyyyy. I felt I had to address that argument he always throws out in order to brush off some people's dislike for DmC.

The situation is more than just that and you can't just ignore it just for the sake of an argument.

Triggerpigking

I only got to play dmc farely recently and it was the definite version. I ended up really enjoying it, story has a lot of issues though I like the they live homages, also the demon design in that game is for the most part incredible, even when I first saw the trailer and was raging I still enjoyed that aspect, it's also cool to see an ugly succubus in a game again.

Honestly biggest issue with DmC is that it was...well called dmc, it has more in common with sin city then devil may cry and it's not like the market is oversaturated with devil may cry like games, the only two contenders really are bayo and dmc so it being a whole new I.P would've allowed for more creative freedom, capcom would have another big stylish action game series under it's belt and overall would probbly of been better recieved.
I don't know why companys keep doing this, did it with banjo kazooie to an extent as well and the new metroid game, the new game was a threat to the old series continuing so fans lashed out against it for good reason, you can't just ignore a series for years then reboot it all of a sudden with a completely different feel and mostly different combat mechanics.

On that note, I actually have more respect for the dmc definite edition then dmc4 special edition, I prefer playing dmc3 and 4 by miles, however both dmc4 and DmC were heavily flawed and the definite version of DmC fixes so many problems with the core game while adding some great new features(Must style should be in all the games from now on), it showed that ninja theory are capable of learning from their mistakes and making a better game which is fantastic, i'd love to see what they could do with a DmC2, an older DmC dante would make for interesting possibilitys.

dmc4 special edition as much as I love it, all it did was cram 3 new characters in with no real balancing, and did'nt fix any of my problems such as how short the game is or the imo terrible lock on, not even a boss rush mode and it's pretty obvious how pasted in legendary dark knight mode is, does'nt even have anything in the results screen, the cutscenes added are less then even dmc3(vergil came, he ****ed then he left XD).

So yeah despite my issues with it, I hope capcom continues both series, even if it requires a name change for DmC.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
You know well that there are fans who love DMC1 just as much as you if not more and hold that one as their favorite who STILL don't like DmC.

Although, let's be real friggin' honest here, a lot of the people who hate DmC and think it's a bad game love DMC3/4, specifically because of the white knuckle difficulty and over-the-top TrueStyle capability. There are a lot of people who say DmC isn't a Devil May Cry game specifically because it's not like DMC3/4, which is not like DMC1/2. There's a fairly large portion that hates DmC because they felt it doesn't live up to their standards of what a TrueStyle platform should be. The other people are those who don't like the universe that DmC happens to take place in, and those still bitter at somehow thinking DmC was replacing the classic series. I'm not waving away their dislikes, but there's a lot of them out there that just think it lacked the supposedly necessary challenge of a TrueStyle game that DMC3/4 had. Many of the gameplay complaints came from TrueStylers, or people playing at them. Ironically, it sorta felt like TrueStyling wasn't even as big a thing until DmC appeared and they all got scared; to wit, dissenters used the concerns the TrueStylers had about the gameplay and made mountains out of molehills, as if DMC was always about TrueStyling, when it thrived mostly on the fanbase who liked the universe and the cool action, not necessarily the content available through TrueStyling.

EDIT: Might I also add that DmC TrueStyling is indeed a thing, and looks just as good in the right hands as DMC3/4.

Honestly biggest issue with DmC is that it was...well called dmc,

I'll always question this, because why is it such a big deal? There's lots of changes, to be sure, since that was the point, but it doesn't detract at all from the "name." The story takes place in a completely different universe and the entire game acts as a way to try new things without messing with the mainline series. Who the hell are we to say what is or isn't something? Why does it's name mean anything? How in pluperfect **** are we basing what a "DMC game is" on the small subset of DMC fans who literally bend the game over and tear the Style meter a new one? Why are we?

It's like all the garbage with Final Fantasy right now. Bravely Default is literally just a Final Fantasy game but under a different name, because Square is as much a brand as it is a developer. Names mean so very little in the grand scheme of things, so why does it matter at all? It's extremely childish, and almost autistic in a "my peas can't touch my mashed potatoes" sorta way.

Last edited by a moderator:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
I'll always question this, because why is it such a big deal? There's lots of changes, to be sure, since that was the point, but it doesn't detract at all from the "name." The story takes place in a completely different universe and the entire game acts as a way to try new things without messing with the mainline series. Who the hell are we to say what is or isn't something? Why does it's name mean anything? How in pluperfect **** are we basing what a "DMC game is" on the subset of DMC fans who literally bend the game over and tear the Style meter a new one? Why are we?

It's like all the garbage with Final Fantasy right now. Bravely Default is literally just a Final Fantasy game but under a different name, because Square is as much a brand as it is a developer. Names mean so very little in the grand scheme of things, so why does it matter at all? It's extremely childish, and almost autistic in a "my peas can't touch my mashed potatoes" sorta way.

as a really DmC fan and knowing the outcome that resulted after the game's release, i gotta say were it came as a new IP with another cool title slap on it, it will surely make a huge different.. i can even imagine some gamer --me included ofc-- saying watch out DMC you got yourself a contender..

but yeah what's done is done, and from the first time i play DmC, it always feel rightly devil may cry to me, well it's the devil may cry i always wanted anyway

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
as a really DmC fan and knowing the outcome that resulted after the game's release, i gotta say were it came as a new IP with another cool title slap on it, it will surely make a huge different.. i can even imagine some gamer --me included ofc-- saying watch out DMC you got yourself a contender..

but yeah what's done is done, and from the first time i play DmC, it always feel rightly devil may cry to me, well it's the devil may cry i always wanted anyway

Of course as a new IP it wouldn't have drawn nearly as much, if any, of the ire it did. It probably would have actually interested a bunch of the starving DMC fans, although considering it was commissioned by Capcom to begin with, people might have been annoyed that they were making a DMC-like game but not making a DMC game :p Hindsight is always 20/20. And what you say really sort of supports what I'm sayin', right? If it had a different name, it would be a contender to DMC, so what the hell does a name matter? If we only knew games by the number on their barcode, there'd be no stock put into whether a game "deserves" the designation it got.

Sure. But Chancey's generalization ain't a thing.

Eh, to a point it sorta is, given that what seems to be a vast majority of dissenters covets DMC3/4. But, whatevs.

Triggerpigking

I'll always question this, because why is it such a big deal? There's lots of changes, to be sure, since that was the point, but it doesn't detract at all from the "name." The story takes place in a completely different universe and the entire game acts as a way to try new things without messing with the mainline series.

I don't think you understand what I mean, it's not the name that's the issue it's that it's labeled as being a game in the dmc franchise when it's nothing alike to the rest of them, the game was clearly made by capcom as a reboot and replacement of the old series which is of course going to **** people off as we want old dmc to continue.
My point by it should'nt of been called dmc is that it should'nt of been a devil may cry game period and instead should've been something new, after all if the only thing it's going to have in common with devil may cry is the names of the characters and the fact that it's a stylish action game then why should it be a part of the franchise?, instead of having a new awesome i.p alongside their other action game brand, they instead will probbly never revisit DmC again due to the backlash.

I think it's simply that companys are scared ****less of new i.ps when funnily enough it's using the I.P that damaged the game.
Also your point about final fantasy, tbh all the final fantasys where designed to be completely different from one another(minus the few direct sequels), it's not like dmc where there's an overarching story, characters and world.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't think you understand what I mean, it's not the name that's the issue it's that it's labeled as being a game in the dmc franchise when it's nothing alike to the rest of them,
"DmC is nothing like the rest of them"

Bro, do you even Devil May Cry?

And I am an avid fan of both incarnations @Foxtrot94 . Just because I have my issues with DMC 3, I actually still like the game itself and I've said this plenty of times. DMC 4 is the only game in the series I truly despise because of how much of a step backwards it took being the lazy piece of crap it is.

Last edited:

Triggerpigking

It's not like dmc though? The new DmC was literally built to be very different from the original series and to appeal to the more modern sense of cool in it's design, music and pretty much everything.

Gameplay wise it has as many if not less similarities with dmc as bayonetta does, the mechanics are different with the angel vs demonic weaponry, though there's similarities with nero' s grab mechanic I think.
story and design are all very different as well, taking cues from they live and having a more sin city grundgy vibe then dmc's gothic(or in the case of 4 more fantastical vibe).
There are a few similarites, they kept the style meter for one as thats a series staple but hell bayo could've gotten away with a style meter, the whole genre is pretty self contained.
Even the music is different focusing on dubstep, and death metal rather then dmc1-4 rock and I suppose more lighter metal music(i'm not very good with names of music genres but there is a substancial difference in the music types between games).
DmC reminds me more of the splatterhouse remake then dmc(and I mean that in the best possible way as that game kicked ass), the music and demon designs have more in common with it.
Point still stands regardless of any similiarities, people want the old more japanese style dmc, and there was no reason this could'nt of been a new franchise.

Meg

@Foxtrot94 @Chancey289 Stop. Just stop. :facepalm:

@Vergilius While I appreciate your efforts, please just report posts instead of trying to de-escalate things yourself.

Well this thread didn't explode into nonsense like I thought it would, and since the rest of you are having a productive conversation, I won't lock the thread down just yet. However, Chancey and Foxtrot, the two of you are banned from the thread.

Judge

three years later and somebody is still whining and crying. embarrassing.

Tell me about it, I remember seeing that Main Event guy do a video just before DMC4: SE came out and that guy was whining and crying throughout that as well. What an embarassment honestly.

Even I admit I thought DmC's story should've had more depth, but you know what I can say that in a controled and relaxed manner, to start acting like that guy is embarassing.

Everyone though we were whiners and crybabies, even though its just one person acting like that, because of that some of the constructive criticism wasn't taken seriously. Honestly I like the new serious direction they took with Dante and the story, but I had hoped they would take it further. Unfortunatly they didn't go into as much depth as we wanted.

Judge

Why?
No seriously why??

Why is there this constant need to keep DmC relevant when we all know it's now a one-only game? Capcom pretty much made it clear that we probably won't be seeing anymore of the rebooted version, so why this strong desire to make it more then it needs to be?

I personally loved DmC. More then I did DMC4. I thought it was a good break from the same old, same old DMC over and over again. No hyper japanese anime style of killing demons and just gritty grindhouse style. No bishonen protagonist with flowing hair and unique clothes, just a regular dude with short hair and a hooded coat. However the point of the game was still there; hacking and slashing at demons using combos of weapons. It was dark but not extremely dark. It had its humor and it had its self-awareness here and there.

It was a good game, and a good Devil May Cry game. period.

That being said...can we just accept that its done and move on?

At this point its sad that we still can't find a middle ground to this, but in the end, it doesn't matter since Devil May Cry's future seems a bit bleak.

I agree with everything you said. I'm happy to remember DmC as a seperate chapter in the franchise. It had a few problems, but I loved the gameplay. Its a one time game, but I know that type of gameplay will continue in other Ninja Theory games.

If I'm being honest, at the end of the game, we could see Ninja Theory were gearing up for another confrontation with Dante and Vergil, which is what we saw in DMC3 and DMC1. So the story for me was still too strongly tied to the previous games, rather than Ninja Theory having full creative control over the game.

Their next games will be better because they won't have to be approved by Capcom first. No disrespect to Cacpom of course. As for the Devil May Cry franchise, I personally feel it was going downhill, but hopefully theres enough fans out there to help bring it back on its feet.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Tell me about it, I remember seeing that Main Event guy do a video just before DMC4: SE came out and that guy was whining and crying throughout that as well. What an embarassment honestly.

Even I admit I thought DmC's story should've had more depth, but you know what I can say that in a controled and relaxed manner, to start acting like that guy is embarassing.

Everyone though we were whiners and crybabies, even though its just one person acting like that, because of that some of the constructive criticism wasn't taken seriously. Honestly I like the new serious direction they took with Dante and the story, but I had hoped they would take it further. Unfortunatly they didn't go into as much depth as we wanted.
sadly its not just him. He is separate case anyway :p I think in 5 years he still be the same old, crying one. But people who now running around telling how "evil haters who dared not to praise DmC like it was second coming itself" are equally laughable. After three years you could expect everybody finally calm down, but noooooo. Lets continue this senseless bickering and whining on both sides. In the end it gives franchise's fanbase such positive image #sarcasm

Top Bottom