• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC 3142 Artbook finally releasing in English?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Anything else on DmC Vergil?
Not really. Except for the fact that they talk about the fedora like it was going to happen but didn't, which isn't the case because the book was published shortly after DmC was released and nowhere near the time when the definitive edition was been planned, there is little to no mention of DmC.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Got mine in the mail finally!
Man amazon effed up for real this time...
But at least I can safely say the book is worth it for fans and people who like to read behind the scenes stuff!

outoftheblue

Got mine. Interesting read. I liked the line about them considering whose son Nero was. I would have liked to know the candidates: maybe Dante?
The rest: I must be getting problems with my eyes, must be my advanced age, but there were lines I almost couldn´t read.
The interviews were interesting and a bit dissapointing, it almost looked like there is no much interest for future games, and if there is, it looked like they were only interested in developing Nero. You know, Dante has reached his max and is not interesting anymore, Vergil didn´t seem to have many fans....might have read it wrong, but it seemed as if the whole team was just sick of the DMC universe.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
You know, Dante has reached his max and is not interesting anymore, Vergil didn´t seem to have many fans....might have read it wrong, but it seemed as if the whole team was just sick of the DMC universe.

It was my feeling too.I was under the impression DMC4 was to be the last of the DMC games.
So Dante was not interesting anymore?Vergil didn't seem to have many fans? Where do these guys live? People's reaction to DMC4SE seems to say otherwise and Vergil was the first choice for Japanese players in UMVC3.
They just got tired of DMC. They always can sell this franchise to someone who cares.

outoftheblue

@Gel That or just bring new blood to the series. Maybe if they´re young and have the oportunity to work with such a big title, they will give the blood and guts the franchise deserves.

Gel

Premium
@Gel That or just bring new blood to the series. Maybe if they´re young and have the oportunity to work with such a big title, they will give the blood and guts the franchise deserves.
Capcom is just driven by money now and people feel creatively castrated by their boss's interests.Part of DMC team already left, other part is probably prepared to leave too.
Now, they have to deal with a story which is a little messy but workable and a fanbase stunned by their choices.While I get the idea money is important, Capcom has a LOT of businesses in other areas, so it does not depends only in selling games.
Other thing:
Yes, people like Nero or, at least, they learnt to accept him, but he is not Dante or Vergil. If Vergil is not popular , they believe Nero would be?Really?If people would have problems with Vergil replacing Dante, how they would react to Nero?There are people already begging for Nero to be killed.
No good, this is no good...

outoftheblue

@Foxtrot94 Yes, but we haven´t seen what they can do storywise. DMC4 didn´t bring anything new to the table. Character wise, the orientation was also very conservative with Lady and Trish, so...

@Gel I´m also perplexed with their fixation with Nero. It´s not that I hate him and want him dead, it´s just that he hasn´t "earned " his place in the DMC universe, he truly is just a gameplay device, nothing more.
He has no origin story, hasn´t been given a purpose and just lacks any place in the Sparda Legacy storyline, which is truly the structure that holds the games together. It´s why, in my opinion, DMC1 and DMC3 are the best of all the games, they work with this themes of legacy, of living, dying and the whole circle carrying on. The twins place in this legacy and what they choose to fight for. Nero is an intruder storywise, and until that is not resolved, people will keep feeling he is not what he could be.

I always come back to Resident Evil, but regarding surprising sons coming out of nowhere, at least Jake has his own struggle with who he is, who his father was and how that marks him, how he tries to stay away from Weskers legacy, while walking his own path. I liked that. In my eyes, he totally earned his place in the RE universe. Nero has not.

Gel

Premium
I always come back to Resident Evil, but regarding surprising sons coming out of nowhere, at least Jake has his own struggle with who he is, who his father was and how that marks him, how he tries to stay away from Weskers legacy, while walking his own path. I liked that. In my eyes, he totally earned his place in the RE universe. Nero has not.
Jake was lucky compared to Nero: he knew who his father was, he knew his mother . That guy knew his origins and they were present to us too.
With Nero, I always had the impression they forced him into the story, while fearing to tell something about Nero's origin, like "Yes, he is Vergil's child, but no, we are forbidden of saying anything because it's dogma. They even extracted the very scene where Vergil wakes up Nero.Nero receives Yamato as a heirloom, but neither Nero neither fans knew why.As for Nero, he must think that's a cool sword, without knowning how emotionally valuable is.
They are even trying to turn Nero into a Vergil 2.0, saying how similar he is to Vergil.Why they want to turn him into a Vergil's version, if they have the original and his personal life is untouched? Nero just need to be his own character and personal, not a copy of someone else.
But since Vergil's fatherhood was due to lack of choices of other potential fathers, I highly doubt they would ever tell Nero's origins.
We only know Eva because it was Kamiya who did DMC1. He usually gives his characters their parentage and a origin/past.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I've been thinking about the things that the people in the interviews said, now with this added to the pile:
http://devilmaycry.org/threads/no-plans-for-devil-may-cry.20916/
I started thinking about the state of the people in charge of DMC.

It seems that everyone that's involved in DMC is more comfortable with Nero, more so than Dante. It's not just a matter of liking him better, it's the fact that they created Nero and they understand Nero better. Been their creation they have a more fundamental understanding of who he is and what makes him tick. Dante, on the other hand, was another group of people's character, even Bingo said so himself, he likes Nero the most because they know who he is. That's not the case with Dante, he is Kamiya's character, and they've run out of their extent of what they can do with him in DMC3, put their all into it and now they don't have more.

I also started to wonder if that's why DmC persisted even after Inafune parted from Capcom because they have no idea what to do with Dante, so they let someone else, with a reputation for writing, deal with him. I actually said something like this once or twice, that Capcom didn't know how to handle with Dante and that's why they were so attached to Nero in DMC4 and I might've not been so far off in that regard. In one of the interviews one of the staff members mentioned how when they made Dante to one day grow up to be the man he is in 1 but in 4 he is hardly that person, he is just 3's with a different look.

Gel

Premium
In one of the interviews one of the staff members mentioned how when they made Dante to one day grow up to be the man he is in 1 but in 4 he is hardly that person, he is just 3's with a different look.
So, fans seem to handle DMC characters than the DMC own team: I've seen a lot of fanfictions and fan theories better done than what professionals are able to do.So it's better for DMC to be the way it is: in coma until someone capable can wake it up. I like Nero, but I don't care about him more than about the other characters.I felt Nero's story was pretty much told in DMC4: he saved his lady love, they will stay together and be happy for ever more..That's why I felt that game was the last of his saga.

outoftheblue

@berto Of course it´s going to be harder to work with a character that has been already established than with a new one, you can work with from scratch. Even so, I totally am with Gel here, they created him poorly and developed his character poorly. That´s my opinion, of course.
BTW If professionals can´t work around a storyline like in DMC, than they better work on something else. If it´s a lack of interest....they better work on something else too and make room for more creative people.

berto

I Saw the Devil
So, fans seem to handle DMC characters than the DMC own team: I've seen a lot of fanfictions and fan theories better done than what professionals are able to do..
I don't agree with that at all, either. Fans are driven by their fandom. In what I've read Dante is either too ideal or not ideal at all, it's all determined by the writer's feelings about the characters, some people think Dante is the coolest mother*****r in video games so they write him like his s*** don't stink, and some think he is a total twat and write him to be a jackass, an idiot, or constantly fumbling and been made a fool of. Fans are too attached to their views of how he should be over how he is.

Gel

Premium
I don't agree with that at all, either. Fans are driven by their fandom. In what I've read Dante is either too ideal or not ideal at all, it's all determined by the writer's feelings about the characters, some people think Dante is the coolest mother*****r in video games so they write him like his s*** don't stink, and some think he is a total twat and write him to be a jackass, an idiot, or constantly fumbling and been made a fool of. Fans are too attached to their views of how he should be over how he is.
I was talking about fans, but not all fans. I'm not one of those who thinks Dante is a role model nor a total fool. I don't appreciate two dimensional characters;I still believe in being perfectly imperfect.That's why I expected more from DMC characters, but I won't denied I read things fans made that are better than what supposed professionals produced.
Not even DMC team seems to know how Dante is: if Dante is no more interesting it's because they didn't make him interesting enough.That's simple.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Yeah, I agree with all of this. Sometimes, the companies themselves just don't know any better.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I wonder if I should get DMC: 3142 or DMC: Divine Comedy.
B1cySWACEAEak2R.jpg

Top Bottom