• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC 3142 Artbook finally releasing in English?

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Good Lord!I deserve a prize!When I said DMC was mess and DMC didn't know NOTHING about the characters and story I was right.
This is catastrophic !

berto

I Saw the Devil
I forgot to mention one thing. The writer of the scenarios, Bingo Morihashi, said that the underlining theme of the original DMC series was love. It is always the pervading theme of the stories in each game.

In DMC1 it was "humanity" or human love, which is the broadest form of love there is.

In DMC2 it's about Dante's love for his father which he demonstrates when he protects something his father once protected.

In DMC3 it's the love of family, obviously. Itsuno disliked the idea of Lady killing Arkham because he believes no child should ever kill their parent but when Bingo presented her saying that it was her responsibility Dante took action and it stayed in the story.

In DMC4 it's a boy protecting his girlfriend. Bingo quotes a Japanese writer that says "I love you, so I love the city that you love" which is the reasoning Nero had for joined the Order and why he cares about any of it at all and it's how he pitched everything Nero did to the staff.

wOaS4Xo.jpg

In this illustration you can see a shadowy figure behind the two. Trish's hand pointing to Dante's chest was meant as a representation of her protective nature towards him.
Trish's hand is placed there to imply her friendship with Dante and her desire to protect him.
(Tsuchibayashi)

Good Lord!I deserve a prize!When I said DMC was mess and DMC didn't know NOTHING about the characters and story I was right.
This is catastrophic !
I disagree. The story and characters aren't a mess, the timeline is. That's hardly the same. Actually, I wouldn't call that a mess, either, it's just not straight forward enough and the staff changed pretty much from game to game so a lack of communication left them misunderstanding each other. It seems to me that no one ever said 'this game takes place this long before or after this other' as much as simply saying before or after and everyone went to do their job with a different number in mind. It's hardly un fixable and it might just be up to interpretation.

For example, the guy says DMC2 takes place 10 years after DMC1 so Dante is about 30 or so. Let's say that Dante is around 25 to 28, for the sake of argument. Which part of that statement are you going to focus your argument for Dante's age in DMC2, that he is 10 years older or that he is around 30? Either one is valid since, if I remember right, this comes from one of the designers so he made Dante in 2 with that frame of mind and his zig zag statement has more authority than any of ours.

Last edited:

Gel

Premium
I forgot to mention one thing. The writer of the scenarios, Bingo Morihashi, said that the underlining theme of the original DMC series was love. It is always the pervading theme of the stories in each game.

In DMC1 it was "humanity" or human love, which is the broadest form of love there is.

In DMC2 it's about Dante's love for his father which he demonstrates when he protects something his father once protected.

In DMC3 it's the love of family, obviously. Itsuno disliked the idea of Lady killing Arkham because he believes no child should ever kill their parent but when Bingo presented her saying that it was her responsibility Dante took action and it stayed in the story.

In DMC4 it's a boy protecting his girlfriend. Bingo quotes a Japanese writer that says "I love you, so I love the city that you love" which is the reasoning Nero had for joined the Order and why he cares about any of it at all and it's how he pitched everything Nero did to the staff.

I disagree. The story and characters aren't a mess, the timeline is. That's hardly the same. Actually, I wouldn't call that a mess, either, it's just not straight forward enough and the staff changed pretty much from game to game so a lack of communication left them misunderstanding each other. It seems to me that no one ever said 'this game takes place this long before or after this other' as much as simply saying before or after and everyone went to do their job with a different number in mind. It's hardly un fixable and it might just be up to interpretation.

For example, the guy says DMC2 takes place 10 years after DMC1 so Dante is about 30 or so. Let's say that Dante is around 25 to 28, for the sake of argument. Which part of that statement are you going to focus your argument for Dante's age in DMC2, that he is 10 years older or that he is around 30? Either one is valid since, if I remember right, this comes from one of the designers so he made Dante in 2 with that frame of mind and his zig zag statement has more authority than any of ours.

Sure, but I've an interview where Kobayashi said DMC2 happens very far in time, even after 4 and the artbook has 3,1,4,2 as chronological order. If everyone in DMC staff has different perspectives, who takes command in here?
This is one of those "Too much captains for just one boat!"

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Gel. Well, Kobayashi wasn't involved with DMC2's development but you are right about too many chefs in the kitchen. It seems like the games suffered from a lot of in house issues regarding the timeline do to the constant staff change. A lot of people came and went and a lot of people stayed. With so many changing perspectives it must've been a pain in the ass keeping the time gaps straight when everyone had their own idea of the time frames but never saying it out loud.

Upon consideration, why should they bother with it? It's not like it got in the way of the story, the gameplay, nor development. The only people that really obsess over it to the point of been angry about it is us. I doubt anyone at Capcom, P*, Tango, or Ignition are loosing any sleep over it and yes, those are all studios with people who made DMC games. Tango is Mikami's studio, P* is most of Clover and Studio #4, and Ignition Tokyo is where some of the people who worked on Clover went, including Sawaki Takeyasu (Character Designer) and Masato Kimura who were a part of DMC1 and Okami, as I'm told, which is why El Shaddai is kinda the way it is (By the way, none of that is in the book, I just remember an El Shaddai interview where they pointed out that the developers had worked on Okami and DMC, which peaked my interest and so I bought the game). So, either way, I think no one cares as much as us, really.

Last edited:

Gel

Premium
So, either way, I think no one cares as much as us, really.
I know.The same way I know those teams are commanded to do something, they do and, in the end, they give a damn about it.
Sad is what could have a better canon/story is so empty and characterization so poor.:frown:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
is so empty and characterization so poor.:frown:

Gotta be kidding. Or just having yet another one of your attacks of pessimism. LOL
There are so many allegories in the games you can't even count them. Same with the characters. I don't believe for one second that you don't realize that. Unless with "empty" you mean that there's little connection between the chapters, on which I'd agree is a shame.

Problem is the timeline, as berto said. Distinguish the two things, Gel.

Gel

Premium
Unless with "empty" you mean that there's little connection between the chapters, on which I'd agree is a shame.
Every time we get a game , it barely connects with the rest, even characters change considerably, at the point of having more than one version of each other, but I disagree with you: canon is poor or/and bad developed.Allegories are just allegories: what you consider an allegory, others find it meaningless.

berto

I Saw the Devil
in the end, they give a damn about it.
If you mean they don't give a damn then I have to say that that is not true. If they didn't give a damn they wouldn't have worked so hard to make 3 such a great game after the mess they had in 2. It was the fact that they worked so hard on 3 that had them all so burned out and tired so that they were not up to full speed, plus new people joining in. It couldn't have been easy on them so something as trivial as exact time frames were probably the last thing on their minds.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Allegories are just allegories: what you consider an allegory, others find it meaningless.

Then others would be wrong. Each game presents allegories that do, in fact, play an important part... in the story of that game. That's where the problem arises. Each story can be considered ok as a tale on its own but, aside from a very few instances, it always feels that the events of one game bear little to no significance to the next one.

Gel

Premium
If you mean they don't give a damn then I have to say that that is not true. If they didn't give a damn they wouldn't have worked so hard to make 3 such a great game after the mess they had in 2. It was the fact that they worked so hard on 3 that had them all so burned out and tired so that they were not up to full speed, plus new people joining in. It couldn't have been easy on them so something as trivial as exact time frames were probably the last thing on their minds.
DMC3 was their climax, where everything was so impressive, even the fine details of Vergil's clothes or the extraordinary scenarios. That's why I still thing they cannot deliver a new game which can compares to DMC3.

Then others would be wrong. Each game presents allegories that do, in fact, play an important part... in the story of that game. That's where the problem arises. Each story can be considered ok as a tale on its own but, aside from a very few instances, it always feels that the events of one game bear little to no significance to the next one.
Exactly. Even characters start to lose their depth( yes, I know some consider them very shallow). In DMC4 they become more flanderized and in DMC4Se they are simply empty dolls.( Sure , it's a special edition, but even so DMC3 special edition cutscenes had more meaning and content.)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Even characters start to lose their depth

Actually, they don't "lose" anything. What is there about them from previous chapters is still there. "Losing" ain't the exact term.

DMC4Se they are simply empty dolls.( Sure , it's a special edition, but even so DMC3 special edition cutscenes had more meaning and content.)

Meh. Vergil talking to Arkham about nothing really significant (Sparda's legend yet again) and Vergil slaughtering demons.

I'd actually say that Vergil's cutscenes in DMC4 SE, as vague as they still are, are indeed more significant (take that word with a rock of salt, not just a grain) than DMC3 SE's. Less awesome to watch, maybe, but still. At least we get to know that he did visit Fortuna and met the Order. Did that have any weight? No, but it's still more than what DMC3 SE provided.

Gel

Premium
take that word with a rock of salt, not just a grain
You bet I will.

At least we get to know that he did visit Fortuna and met the Order.
WHICH it was to be touched in DMC4 BUT they cut it off and replaced with long cutscenes of fanservice and Nero scream for Kyrie without any reason.
After all DMC4 story was HEAVILY edited, to the point the writer "felt "the necessity of putting it in a book.
People's enthusiasm for DMC4se came not only from the pleasure of seeing Vergil again, but finally finding out how Nero was born, but then again, this was denied.
RE6 Jake had better treatment and I'm not sure any future DMC game( if there will be any) will do this.Maybe we get a game where Dante/Nero will act as DMC4 story never happened.
That's why we still hope to see Vergil again, not only for him, but for the possibility of knowing the Dark Slayer's past a little better.
He still is an Ace of Spades after all.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
DMC4se came not only from the pleasure of seeing Vergil again, but finally finding out how Nero was born, but then again, this was denied.

And did I say otherwise? I was merely making a comparison to DMC3 SE, disagreeing with yours.

Reactions: Gel

berto

I Saw the Devil
Every time we get a game , it barely connects with the rest, even characters change considerably, at the point of having more than one version of each other, but I disagree with you: canon is poor or/and bad developed.Allegories are just allegories: what you consider an allegory, others find it meaningless.
There is a universal canon that connects all the stories, events that make them all the same world, but why do they all need to the same overall plot? Each game been it's own entity isn't such a bad thing.

But it you want a straight answer it's so that anyone can play anyone of the DMC games without having to have played the others in order to understand them.

DMC3 was their climax, where everything was so impressive, even the fine details of Vergil's clothes or the extraordinary scenarios. That's why I still thing they cannot deliver a new game which can compares to DMC3.
I don't agree. Not only have they done it once but they've grown as game makers in the 10 years since they've made that game, it's not like they only have enough in them to make on single game, ever, and then they have to retire. They just needed a break from DMC, a chance to recharge their batteries, which they didn't get since pretty immediately they got tossed into DMC4.

I think it's only a problem because people want to know more. At one point we didn't know that Nero was Vergil's son and we were angry at the story for not telling us. If we knew that Nero was Vergil's son we'd still be mad because we don't know who his mother is. If we knew who his mother was we'd want to know who her parents were or and if not we'd blame the story for been bad. I know there is a limit and what we got is the story at it's bare bones and little to no back story for those events but they aren't essential and they these games don't get the time, budget and manpower a Resident Evil game does.

Gel

Premium
I don't agree. Not only have they done it once but they've grown as game makers in the 10 years since they've made that game, it's not like they only have enough in them to make on single game, ever, and then they have to retire. They just needed a break from DMC, a chance to recharge their batteries, which they didn't get since pretty immediately they got tossed into DMC4.
Which can mean we have to wait YEARS to get something glorious to play.Hmmm...
If we knew who his mother was we'd want to know who her parents were or and if not we'd blame the story for been bad.
I'd would be happy for only knowing who is Nero's mother.After all, Vergil was/his an important character in the drama and has a significant fanbase.When we know how Vergil apparently was and we got the surprise he has a child with a HUMAN lady, it's more than natural we want to know how a "cold hearted guy" who seems so power driven, let love enter in his life. Since Nero is a hero and it's not uncommon to know hero's parents, we can just wait.

Gel

Premium
As much as it hurts me to say it, I'll take years and a good game rather than a sub par game soon.
I agree, my dear friend, I agree! A simple and yet coherent story and a good gameplay.That's enough for me

berto

I Saw the Devil
Which can mean we have to wait YEARS to get something glorious to play.Hmmm...
Yes, that's the payoff for quality, you either pay for it with time or money and DMC doesn't get to have money. Street Fighter and Resident Evil do.

I'd would be happy for only knowing who is Nero's mother.After all, Vergil was/his an important character in the drama and has a significant fanbase.When we know how Vergil apparently was and we got the surprise he has a child with a HUMAN lady, it's more than natural we want to know how a "cold hearted guy" who seems so power driven, let love enter in his life. Since Nero is a hero and it's not uncommon to know hero's parents, we can just wait.
No one has said that Nero's mother was human, there is always a chance she's not. We all know Vergil is a proud man so it's unlikely that he went with just any woman, so, yes, it would be great to know who she was and how she ended at Fortuna and why she left Nero but maybe it's time to get used to the fact that we may never know. All the character have a secret history we're not aware of, that's just how it is, and all the games' stories will depends on sales of games, not plot holes, which means another game that anyone can play and understand without having played any of the others. The next game, if it happens, will not focus on giving us the answers we want, just telling the story it needs.

Edit:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2015/09/17/udons-new-devil-may-cry-book-is-incredible

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@berto
Its funny you say that as i had a friend who thought DMC3 was what trish was talking about in the beginning of DMC1 so it goes both ways, it seems.

I do hope some of these unused ideas gets revisited in a later installment, whether it be a game or a comic/manga/anime.

Top Bottom