• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry Producer Wants Dante to be Middle-Aged Hero on an Indiana Jones Adventure

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Isn't Dante in DmC actually supposed to already be in his mid-twenties?
I believe it was confirmed by Taneem Antoniades that Dante's in his early twenty's. When he was confronted about any physical similarities he might share with Dante (the infamous black hair comparisons), Taneem responded by stating that Dante was "a decade and a half younger than him", meaning Dante is either 22 or 23.

Regardless, it's not like he acts like he's in his 20's. For 75% of the game, he operates under a very adolescent swagger. But I'd rather act like an adolescent than a twelve-year-old, like Old Dante did for the entirety of DMC3.
Also, I don't entirely see what you mean about the Lucifer cutscene.
Seeing as how Dante is supposed to be older and wiser in DMC4---30 in fact---you'd think he would've dropped some of his younger, immature impulses. Hell, he acted more laid-back and more professional in DMC1, which took place between DMC3 and DMC4...one would assume that the writers would've kept that persona, for the sake of consistency, and for displaying Dante's newfound maturity.

But, no. He spends an entire scene dancing about thrusting his d!ck into things...displaying even less maturity than he did in 3. In other words, that decade of devil hunting and experience didn't develop him in the slightest, it actually made him worse.

Huh? I don't understand. It's just semi-long combed down white hair, a fairly nondescript pair of pants and boots, and the red jacket with attached holster.
In DMC1, and later in DMC4, Dante sported a very reasonable and out-grown haircut. It wasn't stylized or gelled...and it looked a lot more natural. His outfit in DMC1 & 4 looked slightly more professional, two. True, he sported the now-infamous red chaps in DMC4, but the rest of his outfit looked appropriate for someone in the mercenary business.

DMC3's gelled, round K-Pop singer's haircut just looks awful to me---and his bangs being permanently curtained over his eyes just screams a raging attempt to make him edgy. Also, may I politely inquire as to what bishonen tripe he pulled his coat from? With the shirtless undercoat look with one sleeve torn off, he just looks like a Final Fantasy character yanked from the cutting-room floor of Tetsuya Nomura.

This is all opinion-based, mind you. I just don't like the look---I'm well aware how crazy people are about it, but I personally never was.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
In DMC1, and later in DMC4, Dante sported a very reasonable and out-grown haircut. It wasn't stylized or gelled...and it looked a lot more natural. His outfit in DMC1 & 4 looked slightly more professional, two. True, he sported the now-infamous red chaps in DMC4, but the rest of his outfit looked appropriate for someone in the mercenary business.

DMC3's gelled, round K-Pop singer's haircut just looks awful to me---and his bangs being permanently curtained over his eyes just screams a raging attempt to make him edgy. Also, may I politely inquire as to what bishonen tripe he pulled his coat from? With the shirtless undercoat look with one sleeve torn off, he just looks like a Final Fantasy character yanked from the cutting-room floor of Tetsuya Nomura.

This is all opinion-based, mind you. I just don't like the look---I'm well aware how crazy people are about it, but I personally never was.

Dante's hairstyle in DMC3 isn't at all edgy to me. It's more so like how gang members or delinquents in Japan do their hair. Some dye it a very platinum blond while others grow it out. Since DMC3 IS made in Japan, they chose trends from Japan. With his outfit, it seems more like a stylized version of a detective's trench coat but in leather and red. I don't know why the hell they thought shirtless was a good idea but I guess it's to reflect Dante being a show off in showing off what he's got. If you got it, flaunt it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@WolfOD64 actually, tbh, nowadays I see 12 yo kids acting like nDante instead (it worries me, btw). I don't see anyone, at any age, acting like DMC3/4 Dante at all.
That's why I've got no problems with oDante's personality, cause original DMC's world is so clearly fictional, that it's okay that a 30 yo man in that world doesn't act like a real 30 yo man is supposed to do. It's not like he's meant to match reality.

DmC instead, features a more down-to-reality world, and nDante matches the stereotype of one of the generally most disliked person, socially speaking, a stereotype that's not fictional, it actually exists. I don't know how you call it in English, here we call people like him "tamarri".
I know it's intentional, I'm not faulting NT for this, they did a good job at representing that stereotype. But still.

That's why I can't like nDante the same way I like oDante, cause people with nDante's personality actually exist, and if I stumble upon a guy like him in real life, my first impulse is to punch him in the face.

But I get it there are people who appreciate the character more than oDante because he's more "real" than his DMC counterpart, and it's okay. This was just my point of view on him :D

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
That's why I've got no problems with oDante's personality, cause original DMC's world is so clearly fictional, that it's okay that a 30 yo man in that world doesn't act like a real 30 yo man is supposed to do. It's not like he's meant to match reality.
When people say "original " dante do they refer to the DMC 1's dante or DMC 3/4 dante? because personality wise they're totally different.

Viper

Premium
When people say "original " dante do they refer to the DMC 1's dante or DMC 3/4 dante? because personality wise they're totally different.
They refer to Dante all the way from 1 to 4, given that it's all one and the same person and same universe, regardless of minor changes that came with times and different ideas.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
They refer to Dante all the way from 1 to 4, given that it's all one and the same person and same universe, regardless of minor changes that came with times and different ideas.
Personality wise they're not alike at all.. DMC 1's dante is more of your normal wisecracking hero DMC 2's dante is a silent brooding guy and DMC 3/4 dante is more of a clown.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

Can't speak for others, but my post was about 3/4, yes. I named DMC3 and 4 at the beginning.

Viper

Premium
Personality wise they're not alike at all.. DMC 1's dante is more of your normal wisecracking hero DMC 2's dante silent brooding guy and DMC 3/4 dante is more of a clown.
In real world it's called being a person. You change as you gather more experience under your belt. When it comes to Dante, only 4 steps out of that line, though an imaginative person can still find a reason to put him back into it, but that was a decision most likely influenced by how well 3 did.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
In real world it's called being a person. You change as you gather more experience under your belt. When it comes to Dante, only 4 steps out of that line, though an imaginative person can still find a reason to put him back into it, but that was a decision most likely influenced by how well 3 did.
In real world&good fiction we have something called a "Character consistency" dante doesn't seem to have that at all.. heck DMC 1&4 dante are supposed to be the SAME person in the same time period yet they seem like 2 different people.

Viper

Premium
In real world&good fiction we have something called a "Character consistency" dante doesn't seem to have that at all.. heck DMC 1&4 dante are supposed to be the SAME person in the same time period yet they seem like 2 different people.
Somehow you missed the part where I mention 4 is the one that steps out of that line.
Dante is a victim of a company that wants to make money first and good product second, he changed with generations and different people in charge, though from my standpoint he is more or less consistent - 3 was a wild teen that grew serious during the events of Temen-ni-gru, 1 was a good mix of serious investigator and taunting hero, 4 we said was a bit hard to put into this, and then 2 which is sometimes in future and we don't have any data on what happened between.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
anywaaaaay, was the whole indiana jones 40-ish chat official or some gibberish talk? they need a good stinger + zabaziggabizuggazillion stab is it's a confirmed idea

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
@WolfOD64 actually, tbh, nowadays I see 12 yo kids acting like nDante instead (it worries me, btw).
12? seriously? what 12 year old have you seen? The twelve year olds I've seen call each other the n-word, are disrespectful, and will be all yolo swag.
nDante is miles away from that and more along the lines of those dangerous individuals you see in high school who you know carries guns and is like an army bret who prefers to be alone.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
12? seriously? what 12 year old have you seen? The twelve year olds I've seen call each other the n-word, are disrespectful, and will be all yolo swag.
nDante is miles away from that and more along the lines of those dangerous individuals you see in high school who you know carries guns and is like an army bret who prefers to be alone.

Well, I don't know where you come from, so I can't say anything about how kids behave at your place. Here, it's a fairly serious social problem, that I hope does not get out of control. Of course I'm not saying EVERY 12 yo kid is like that, but I've seen some who are. At university, I've even got a friend whose little brother is already on the path of drugs and getting along bad companies.

Top Bottom