• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante's Age (Yes, Another One)

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Ha but that would make sense chance , that is why I take DMC at gameplay value first and story second , I love the characters but I just don't try to make sense of the inconsistencies as it leads to headaches

but I do love the story even with it's plotholes

Viper

Premium
Dante in DMC2 has a more mature looking face that to me most definitely says he is at least in late 30's or early 40's, but that's the lowest one can stretch it.
Dante in DMC4 has stubble that might give him an older appearance, but overall I think of early to mid-thirties when I see him.
A man can lose some of his muscle mass through aging.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Ye all forget that DMC4 was redisgned long after DMC2 Dante , if the games were made in the canon timeline close together then the arguement of build or frame size would hold more weight , pun unintended lol

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Yes guys, this isn't the place to be discussing the inconsistencies within the story. The purpose of the thread is to try to provide evidence/sources that back up Dante's age in the games.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Ha but that would make sense chance , that is why I take DMC at gameplay value first and story second , I love the characters but I just don't try to make sense of the inconsistencies as it leads to headaches

but I do love the story even with it's plotholes
And that's something I can't do. If the story is inconsistent then I can't ignore it. It'd feel like a bad tick I couldn't ignore.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Didn't I just remind everyone that this isn't the place to be discussing your views on the inconsistencies within the plot? The thread's creator has also made this clear, so we should all respect that. Thank you.

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
That link is certainly useful. It looks like most of what I've heard is accurate, though I haven't seen anything about Dante's age when Eva died.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I'm afraid I can't find sources, but I can tell you my views and why I think they make sense. I can also tell you what we know and what we don't know.

DMC1: Dante is 28 (this we know). Trish said Dante lost his family 20 years ago. Manga said he was 8, so that makes him 28.

DMC2: age unknown

DMC4: I remember Itsuno saying years ago that Dante was ''around ten years older in DMC4 than he was in DMC3''. Considering Dante was said to be 19 in DMC3, that would mean he's about 30 in DMC4. But it never came up again, so I wouldn't put stock into it. AND if Vergil is Nero's father, it wouldn't make sense for Dante to be 30 in DMC4... because Nero is said to be the same age as DMC3 Dante. So... 30 - 19 = 11. Vergil conceived Nero when he was 11? Naah.

In DMC3, Vergil said that it had been a year since him and Dante met, so that could mean Vergil conceived Nero when he was 18. The DMC4 SE teaser shows Vergil holding *something* under his cloak. So, 18 + 19 = 37. Dante is probably 37 in DMC4. As for plotholes, I can think of *one*: Dante had not met Vergil in DMC1, but in DMC3 he fought him on the Temen-Ni-Gru.

Viper

Premium
@Daimon Leon
Umm, the manga doesn't say how old twins were when Eva died, it just says that about 10 years prior to its events a woman who was most likely Eva was found killed.
There was some idea that the first novel said it, but that one is ambiguous on the age as well.

Veloran

I'm afraid I can't find sources, but I can tell you my views and why I think they make sense. I can also tell you what we know and what we don't know.

DMC1: Dante is 28 (this we know). Trish said Dante lost his family 20 years ago. Manga said he was 8, so that makes him 28.

DMC2: age unknown

DMC4: I remember Itsuno saying years ago that Dante was ''around ten years older in DMC4 than he was in DMC3''. Considering Dante was said to be 19 in DMC3, that would mean he's about 30 in DMC4. But it never came up again, so I wouldn't put stock into it. AND if Vergil is Nero's father, it wouldn't make sense for Dante to be 30 in DMC4... because Nero is said to be the same age as DMC3 Dante. So... 30 - 19 = 11. Vergil conceived Nero when he was 11? Naah.

In DMC3, Vergil said that it had been a year since him and Dante met, so that could mean Vergil conceived Nero when he was 18. The DMC4 SE teaser shows Vergil holding *something* under his cloak. So, 18 + 19 = 37. Dante is probably 37 in DMC4. As for plotholes, I can think of *one*: Dante had not met Vergil in DMC1, but in DMC3 he fought him on the Temen-Ni-Gru.

He may have been sixteen or seventeen, considering a whole year went by with Vergil working with Arkham, but they don't seem to be teamed up yet in the SE.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I keep hearing Dante was 8 when his mom died, which would make DMC1 Dante 28, and I remember reading that DMC3 Dante is 19 (Can't remember where), if Nero is really Vergil's son, then I guess Dante in DMC4 would have to be in his mid to late 30's, Maybe 36 or 37, if Vergil fathered Nero a year before DMC3, then Nero in DMC4 would be around 18 or 19 (People DO keep saying Nero's a kid). DMC2 I always thought he was around 40-42.

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
Something to keep in mind, 9 month pregnancy. I imagine Vergil fathered Nero during that year gap, but Nero would have been born closer to 3 than the manga, so I'd place Dante at 38 in DMC4 if it's been confirmed Dante is 19 in DMC3. And even if Vergil isn't Nero's father in canon, I think that rough timeframe still stands either way.

So what we have confirmed so far (I'll update the first post with this as we gather more):

Eva's Death:
  • N/A
DMC3:
  • A year has passed since the manga. [Dante's statement in Mission 2]
  • Dante is in his teens. [Hiroyuki Kobayashi interview. Game Informer magazine, October 2007]
DMC1:
  • Dante is about the age of Cobra. [Hideki Kamiya's Twitter]
DMC4:
  • Nero is the age of DMC3 Dante, making DMC4 Dante double that. [Game Informer October 2007]
  • Dante is in his 30s. [Hiroyuki Kobayashi interview. Game Informer magazine, October 2007]
  • Dante is nearly 40. [PSM3 Magazine Janurary 2007]
DMC2:
  • N/A

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Something to keep in mind, 9 month pregnancy. I imagine Vergil fathered Nero during that year gap, but Nero would have been born closer to 3 than the manga, so I'd place Dante at 38 in DMC4 if it's been confirmed Dante is 19 in DMC3. And even if Vergil isn't Nero's father in canon, I think that rough timeframe still stands either way.

So what we have confirmed so far (I'll update the first post with this as we gather more):

Eva's Death:
  • N/A
DMC3:
  • A year has passed since the manga. [Dante's statement in Mission 2]
  • Dante is in his teens. [Hiroyuki Kobayashi interview. Game Informer magazine, October 2007]
If DMC3 is confirmed 19, then that would make Dante 8 when his mom died. DMC3's a year after the manga, in-which it's said Eva died 10 years ago if I'm not mistaken.

Viper

Premium
If DMC3 is confirmed 19, then that would make Dante 8 when his mom died. DMC3's a year after the manga, in-which it's said Eva died 10 years ago if I'm not mistaken.
It would certainly be consistent with the statement that DMC1 Dante is of Cobra's age, but it creates a problem with other interviews, since it was said in one that DMC4 happens 10 years after DMC3 and 1 year after DMC1, while two others claim Dante is somewhere between 30 and 40 in age.

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
I'd say that "10 years" means "over 10 years" sincen unless Mundus sent Nelo Angelo to produce a child to be his vessel, there's no way Vergil could be Nero's father if it's 10 eyars between the two. It would also place 4 very shorlty after 1.

And where was it actually said that Dante is 19 in 3?

Viper

Premium
Since the blog post on wiki has no links to any interview mentioning it, in fact, there seems to be no trace of that statement from an official source at all, chances are that the age of Dante in DMC3 being 19 was result of fan math, with manga taking place 1 year prior DMC3, and 10 year post Eva's death, and previous belief of fans being that Dante was 8 when Eva died.

Veloran

It would certainly be consistent with the statement that DMC1 Dante is of Cobra's age, but it creates a problem with other interviews, since it was said in one that DMC4 happens 10 years after DMC3 and 1 year after DMC1, while two others claim Dante is somewhere between 30 and 40 in age.
I'm guessing that interview has since been voided. It was specifically talking about Lady's age in relation to DMC3 and 4, but in retrospect that would make no sense.

Under that timeline, everyone would have had to transition to their DMC4 appearances from the anime in like a month or something. And I doubt Lady went up three cup sizes that fast.

Another small note about the anime, at the very end it's said that Patty (The girl introduced therein) would keep coming around Devil May Cry to clean it up. In fact, that's pretty much the very last shot of the whole series. By DMC4 though, Dante's place is back to being a complete wreck. That indicates to me that quite a bit of time must have passed, maybe even enough for Patty to grow up and move on with her life.

Top Bottom