• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante's Age (Yes, Another One)

Viper

Premium
It was YOU who said telepathy was difficult to achieve, not me!:tongue:
Difficult, but not impossible. :D I'd blab something about being the woman that makes impossible possible, but it's the wrong fandom. XD

@Veloran

Dante, the devil seducer. Might have been recognized as too much of yaoi in flavor for the game. Don't wanna make someone that isn't devil cry, after all. XD

Reactions: Gel

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I'm not sure it matters if Capcom were the ones who published the novel, it's still said to not be canon. Like the whole stuff with Gilver - I think that was supposed to be non-canon either. But I don't know, I really don't focus on it much. I just go by what the games tell me - the games are supposed to tell the story, imo. I'm certainly not going to read a bunch of novels just to find out certain plot points.

Veloran

it's still said to not be canon.
When? By who?

It really just seems like an idea that was perpetrated by certain fans than an actual statement by the company.

Like the whole stuff with Gilver - I think that was supposed to be non-canon either.
The first DMC novel is weird. It's like pseudo-canon, in that everything except the stuff involving Gilver is perfectly fine.

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
I'd say the DMC4 novel is non-canon by virtue of being an adaptation. It doesn't matter how accurate it is, that story already has its place in canon and that's the game. Some details exclusive to the novel might be canon, like Nero's parentage (which I hope the mother isn't because Vergil and a random prostitute, what?), but it's largely not.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Gilver is the exact opposite of Vergil as we know him now, so first novel is completely out of canon. DMC4 Se will push it completely out.
Don't worry about Nero's mother. She was not a prostitute ( she was probably Vergil's wife or someone of that level of importance), Nero wasn't born by accident and that woman was meaningful for Vergil. Together with Nero, she was one of the reasons Vergil took that path we all know.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Where, when, and why the hell would Vergil find a wife? Seriously, this whole Daddy Vergil thing is all kinds of stupid. Come on Capcom, don't just roll with the bad fanfiction fans come up with.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Where, when, and why the hell would Vergil find a wife? Seriously, this whole Daddy Vergil thing is all kinds of stupid. Come on Capcom, don't just roll with the bad fanfiction fans come up with.

Devil May Cry 4 wasn't fanfiction enough?

But seriously, I really feel the need to heavy hint Nero as Vergil's son was a mistake and they should've nipped that in the bud years ago to avoid unnecessary speculations and questioning. Now here we are, still wondering this which could also lead to Dante and Vergil's actual ages throughout the game.

Gel

Premium
Asking why Vergil would get a wife is the same to ask why Sparda got a wife: because they want to.That's simple!And apparently human, no less. Stories tend to repeat.
Whatever we could ask about Vergil , we can ask about Sparda: why did he get married? Why a human? why children?Where and when did he find Eva? And on and on...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Asking why Vergil would get a wife is the same to ask why Sparda got a wife: because they want to.That's simple!And apparently human, no less. Stories tend to repeat.
Whatever we could ask about Vergil , we can ask about Sparda: why did he get married? Why a human? why children?Where and when did he find Eva? And on and on...
Sparda "awoke to justice" because he discovered and admired human's capability for empathy. Something demons are believed to lack. He got married and settled down years, and years later. It wasn't Eva that made him turn.

Why would Vergil want to shack up with a human? He clearly holds his supernatural lineage to a higher regard and hates even the sheer concept of humanity. Vergil wouldn't seek out or fall in love with one.

Gel

Premium
Sure, but did you ever think Vergil could have choose to follow the path of demon's heritage because something had happened to him? Something more than " my mother is dead" excuse? Nero is more human than Dante, Nero is visited by Vergil in his dreams, who tries to convince the boy to hear " the cry of the soul" inside him. Nero describes the guy's glare as cold, but, at same, gentle. That's right, Vergil feels gentleness/tenderness towards the boy. This is written in DMC4 novel.
Vergil knew the boy and had feelings towards him. This boy wasn't illegitimate at all.In these new trailers Vergil has something or someone in his arms and probably is a baby, his baby.
Trinity of Fates( an official DMC book made by Capcom) says clearly Vergil has no bad feelings, no hostility, no hate towards humanity.He is a son of Sparda, he can't have such feelings. You can find that part of the book in this forum if you don't believe on me.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Sure, but did you ever think Vergil could have choose to follow the path of demon's heritage because something had happened to him? Something more than " my mother is dead" excuse? Nero is more human than Dante, Nero is visited by Vergil in his dreams, who tries to convince the boy to hear " the cry of the soul" inside him. Nero describes the guy's glare as cold, but, at same, gentle. That's right, Vergil feels gentleness/tenderness towards the boy. This is written in DMC4 novel.
Vergil knew the boy and had feelings towards him. This boy wasn't illegitimate at all.In these new trailers Vergil has something or someone in his arms and probably is a baby, his baby.
Trinity of Fates( an official DMC book made by Capcom) says clearly Vergil has no bad feelings, no hostility, no hate towards humanity.He is a son of Sparda, he can't have such feelings. You can find that part of the book in this forum if you don't believe on me.

Is the DMC4 novel still canon though?

No ill will for humans, huh? yeah, I definitely picked up on that when he killed hundreds from the rise of Temi-ni-Gru and releasing demons onto a city.

Veloran

Why would Vergil want to shack up with a human? He clearly holds his supernatural lineage to a higher regard and hates even the sheer concept of humanity. Vergil wouldn't seek out or fall in love with one.
You're right. It's absolutely ridiculous that Vergil, who holds his supernatural side in such high regard, would ever fall for a human being under any circumst- Ohwait.

latest

Is the DMC4 novel still canon though?

No ill will for humans, huh? yeah, I definitely picked up on that when he killed hundreds from the rise of Temi-ni-Gru and releasing demons onto a city.
It's semi-canon.

Anyway, ill-will implies that Vergil would go out of his way to harm humans, which isn't the case.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You're right. It's absolutely ridiculous that Vergil, who holds his supernatural side in such high regard, would ever fall for a human being under any circumst- Ohwait.

latest

Your point? You know damn well I'm talking about the old Vergil. The one that isn't a fairly thought out character. Vergil and Kat's relationship isn't even relevant here, and I bet you haven't even read that comic in the first place to even talk about it properly.

Veloran

Your point? You know damn well I'm talking about the old Vergil. The one that isn't a fairly thought out character. Vergil and Kat's relationship isn't even relevant here, and I bet you haven't even read that comic in the first place to even talk about it properly.
The point is that you're the one that's always going on about how Vergil and Vergil are inherently the same character deep down. If that's true, then Vergil falling for Kat for a time proves that Vergil has the same capability in himself.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The point is that you're the one that's always going on about how Vergil and Vergil are inherently the same character deep down. If that's true, then Vergil falling for Kat for a time proves that Vergil has the same capability in himself.
Generally speaking, DmC's Vergil is still Vergil, but they do still have differences. (That was the point of DmC hurr durr) I wouldn't like one more than the other if they were exactly the same. Same with you, right?

Context. Is. Important. You're twisting things and very arbitrarily trying to prove this stupid point of yours that really makes no sense. We're talking about Vergil from the old series.

Him having a kid somewhere, somehow, just doesn't seem to make sense. You have such a small time frame to work with and Vergil just seems like a very asexual character. He's to busy having a hard on for swords and power that I don't see when, where, or who he decides to get his carrot wet with. You got to admit it would be something that would always just have been pulled from Capcom's butt to just shortcut in explaining Nero finally. And it just reeks like bad fanfiction. Fans can have stupid ideas. I wouldn't always turn to them for answers.

Veloran

Generally speaking, DmC's Vergil is still Vergil, but they do still have differences. (That was the point of DmC hurr durr) I wouldn't like one more than the other if they were exactly the same. Same with you, right?

Context. Is. Important. You're twisting things and very arbitrarily trying to prove this stupid point of yours that really makes no sense. We're talking about Vergil from the old series.

Him having a kid somewhere, somehow, just doesn't seem to make sense. You have such a small time frame to work with and Vergil just seems like a very asexual character. He's to busy having a hard on for swords and power that I don't see when, where, or who he decides to get his carrot wet with. You got to admit it would be something that would always just have been pulled from Capcom's butt to just shortcut in explaining Nero finally. And it just reeks like bad fanfiction. Fans can have stupid ideas. I wouldn't always turn to them for answers.
Okay, no. You can't just randomly decide where to draw the line at where the characters stop being alike just for the sake of an argument. Saying Vergil "just seems like an asexual character", (Especially since we actually know almost nothing about him in that regard) when he and Vergil supposedly share every other inherent character trait makes no sense whatsoever.

Moreover, you're misinterpreting the whole basis of the father/son thing. People didn't concoct it and Capcom decided to run with it because of that, it was hints and information from Capcom and in the story itself that caused people to latch on to it.

Anyway, this argument is ridiculous. It's not a matter of whether or not Vergil sired Nero, that we already know for certain. This thread is about how it works out in relation to the timeline and the ages of the characters, and overall I feel as though it does indeed work out, as has been posited quite sensibly multiple times already here.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Okay, no. You can't just randomly decide where to draw the line at where the characters stop being alike just for the sake of an argument. Saying Vergil "just seems like an asexual character", (Especially since we actually know almost nothing about him in that regard) when he and Vergil supposedly share every other inherent character trait makes no sense whatsoever.

Moreover, you're misinterpreting the whole basis of the father/son thing. People didn't concoct it and Capcom decided to run with it because of that, it was hints and information from Capcom and in the story itself that caused people to latch on to it.

Anyway, this argument is ridiculous. It's not a matter of whether or not Vergil sired Nero, that we already know for certain. This thread is about how it works out in relation to the timeline and the ages of the characters, and overall I feel as though it does indeed work out, as has been posited quite sensibly multiple times already here.
Ok? Your argument is stupid to begin with.

If both Vergils are now exactly the same, then why do you hate the new incarnation and prefer the old? You shouldn't. Like I said, CONTEXT. Don't twist my words around.

As for the theory in general, it doesn't have to automatically mean Vergil is now a daddy. There's just some sort of connection. I came up with other theories that didn't involve this.

Veloran

Ok? Your argument is stupid to begin with.

If both Vergils are now exactly the same, then why do you hate the new incarnation and prefer the old? You shouldn't. Like I said, CONTEXT. Don't twist my words around.

As for the theory in general, it doesn't have to automatically mean Vergil is now a daddy. There's just some sort of connection. I came up with other theories that didn't involve this.
I'm confused. You're the one that has said the two aren't that different at all, that Vergil is Vergil at his core. If that is indeed true, I see no reason why this one specific thing would be the degree of separation.

And again, there's no theorization to be done. Nero being Vergil's son is fact, plain and simple. For that to be the case (Which it is), and Nero to about in his late teens in DMC4 (Which he appears to be) Dante should be in his mid to late thirties by the time that game takes place. Something of that nature, anyhow.

Top Bottom