• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante (classic or reboot) vs. John Constantine

Would do you think would win?

• John Constantine

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • One of the Dantes

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
So since the whole battle thing is talked over, do you think John and Dante could be friends even?

The Final Offer

So since the whole battle thing is talked over, do you think John and Dante could be friends even?

John isn't someone who'd hang around Dante and Dante isn't someone who'd hang around John.

If neither knew about one another I'd say DmC's Dante and DMC 1 Dante would be right next to John at a club.

The other Dante (3 or 4) would just **** John off.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Already saw this eariler.
THANK GOD Chas is the proper age this time instead of being some kid. Don't really care for the woman though seeing as I would be much more interested in possibly seeing female characters from the original Hellblazer series but who knows. Having Constantine be looked over by an angel reminds me too much of Supernatural to which I can see fan girls going all "OMG MANNSTANTINE~OTP!!" or "JOHNNY IS MY OTP!!~~"

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
All I hope is that this doesn't turn into another Supernatural with all the annoying fangirls raging over "angelXJohn love" and wanting it canon.(which it could be since John is bisexual)

I also hope it doesn't end up just being NCIS with demons and magic.

But since this is based on DC Constantine and not Vertigo's Hellblazer, that makes me worry quite a bit. I want the chain-smoking, gruff, edgy, trench coat wearing badass, not the DC's toned down, dude who relays more on magic and less on actual intellegence.

DC John is like the Classic Dante. an annoying campy wanna be edge guy who has nothing to offer besides one liners.
Where as Vertigo John/new Dante is more real, more edgy, and adds actual personality instead of being a parody retard.

But anyway here's to Constantine.

DragonMaster2010

I agree with Bazil.

Classic DMC to Reboot DmC is as DC Constantine to Hellblazer. Constantine is like DMC; being toned down to a super hero/ anime campy dark story with a textbook anti hero with a less then deep story and less focus on actual character development on its protaganist.

Meanwhile DmC is like Hellblazer; Focusing more on the darker contemperate world with a more real antihero in a story of not only fighting demons but also fighting your inner demons. More gritty, more real, and a much deeper story set up.

I hope this series focuses on Constantine's actual knowledge and intelligence from Hellblazer and not have him just shooting fire balls from his palms like a mad man. Not saying that wouldn't be cool, but don't make him a classic Dante; less character and intelligence, more pew pew pew.

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
I hope this series focuses on Constantine's actual knowledge and intelligence from Hellblazer and not have him just shooting fire balls from his palms like a mad man. Not saying that wouldn't be cool, but don't make him a classic Dante; less character and intelligence, more pew pew pew.
And when exactly does new Dante display this vastly superior intellect?

DragonMaster2010

And when exactly does new Dante display this vastly superior intellect?
Its not so much intelligence as it is common sense and realism.

Like Constantine, new Dante doesn't screw around as much when it comes to his life. He doesn't treat everything like one big party like Classic Dante did at that age. New Dante knew that treating life like everything was okay and dandy was a delusion of the mind to try and make yourself feel better. He knew there wasn't much joy in seeing and killing demons every single day of your life. And no matter what he did, no one else would be able to help him or see what he saw. Its the same with Constantine except every person he gets close to either leaves him or dies just by knowing him. So Constantine is smart enough to not treat life as if everythings magical or full of joy when you have to deal with demons everyday.

New Dante and Constantine from Hellblazer are to me more compelling to see how they deal with their schytzophrensia (don't know how to properly spell it) like issues instead of watch some glorifying nut head jump around like its all a big game almost all the time. He only realized it was an important job to kill demons in DMC3 then forgets it all in DMC4.

But that aside, like I said before;

More character and intelligence; less pew pew pew.

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
Like Constantine, new Dante doesn't screw around as much when it comes to his life. He doesn't treat everything like one big party like Classic Dante did at that age. New Dante knew that treating life like everything was okay and dandy was a delusion of the mind to try and make yourself feel better. He knew there wasn't much joy in seeing and killing demons every single day of your life. And no matter what he did, no one else would be able to help him or see what he saw. Its the same with Constantine except every person he gets close to either leaves him or dies just by knowing him. So Constantine is smart enough to not treat life as if everythings magical or full of joy when you have to deal with demons everyday.

New Dante and Constantine from Hellblazer are to me more compelling to see how they deal with their schytzophrensia (don't know how to properly spell it) like issues instead of watch some glorifying nut head jump around like its all a big game almost all the time. He only realized it was an important job to kill demons in DMC3 then forgets it all in DMC4.

But that aside, like I said before;

More character and intelligence; less pew pew pew.
Dante screws around with flunkies he knows he'll mop the floor with. He was quite serious with Vergil, Nelo Angelo, Mundus, etc.

Oh really? I seem to recall a video of nDante back when he still looked like a heroin addicted emo, he was absolutely thrilled to be killed demons, and quite sadistic about it too - I don't recall Dante ever stubbing out ciggs on demon faces. The backlash from DMC fans is what caused that Dante to die - you're welcome.

Dante is quite careful not to associate with anyone he'll put in danger though. Look at his circle of "friends"; Trish, Lucia, Lady, and Nero - all capable of defending themselves, and therefore Dante doesn't need to worry about them.

So Constantine let life defeat him. "Boohoo the demons make my life sad :(" - Dante on the other hand is quite happy to eviscerate a demon horde and then go out for pizza. Shows a strong character. Do you think soldiers, cops, firefighters, etc. constantly wallow in self pity because they have hard jobs? No.

nDante doesn't have schizophrenia, he may have had it in the trailers with the whole "my name is Dante.." this but they left that out of the final game.

It IS a game to him. 99% of the enemies he comes up against are so vastly inferior to him that he doesn't even need to try. Vergil is just the same, although instead of having fun doing it he just gets annoyed that no one can give him a real fight.

DragonMaster2010

Dante screws around with flunkies he knows he'll mop the floor with. He was quite serious with Vergil, Nelo Angelo, Mundus, etc.

Oh really? I seem to recall a video of nDante back when he still looked like a heroin addicted emo, he was absolutely thrilled to be killed demons, and quite sadistic about it too - I don't recall Dante ever stubbing out ciggs on demon faces. The backlash from DMC fans is what caused that Dante to die - you're welcome.

Dante is quite careful not to associate with anyone he'll put in danger though. Look at his circle of "friends"; Trish, Lucia, Lady, and Nero - all capable of defending themselves, and therefore Dante doesn't need to worry about them.

So Constantine let life defeat him. "Boohoo the demons make my life sad :(" - Dante on the other hand is quite happy to eviscerate a demon horde and then go out for pizza. Shows a strong character. Do you think soldiers, cops, firefighters, etc. constantly wallow in self pity because they have hard jobs? No.

nDante doesn't have schizophrenia, he may have had it in the trailers with the whole "my name is Dante.." this but they left that out of the final game.

It IS a game to him. 99% of the enemies he comes up against are so vastly inferior to him that he doesn't even need to try. Vergil is just the same, although instead of having fun doing it he just gets annoyed that no one can give him a real fight.
And thats my issue with classic Dante now. All he is now is all talk no substance. Theres no feeling and its just a robot set on showoff. Hes like Masamune Date from SB; all he cares about is party this party that sterotypical gang lord. Its just feels like I'm seeing the same thing with these two.

Yeah 2010 Dante lit a fag on a demon but would you really consider that the same lack of reality as riding a missle around or rather letting demons feel what he feels?

Good on Dante for having such friends who know how to fight meanwhile Constantine isn't lucky enough to have such friends and they either die or leave because of the demons. It shows that demon hunting isnt always some happy fun time.
That's just my peeve with creators taking the morals out of their work just to appeal to the nerdy/anime public
Classic Dante to me feels like he's being stripped of actual character every game that comes out and is replaced with one one-liner after another that snuffs out any chance of a character to sprout.

And now DC's doing the same with The Hellblazer series by making him into the sterotypical DC anti hero with only a simple projection of how John really is back in the original series. In short they're turning him, in my opinion, into what classic Dante was heading into, and that annoys me how they trade character for Michael Bay characterization by comparison.

Not hating on Classic Dante but I dont need to worry about another one of my most favorite characters becoming another campfest

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Holy sh*t guys...

Please, I'm begging here: can a single damned discussion not revolve around which version of Dante is better for a change? Last I checked, the thread was about who would win in a fight, Dante vs. Constantine...not Dante vs. New Dante. :/

In answer to your original post DM, Dante-either one-would win against Constantine. That's my answer, that's what I'm sticking with.

Yeesh...

DragonMaster2010

This has nothing to do with new vs old. This has to do with the quality of Dante falling with every DMC game to come out and all Capcom has to do is live off the hype and not even make an effort.

Its like DC with Constantine. They think that because Hellblazer has 300+ issues that they can just use that as an excuse to just write John as a sterotypical magic anti hero in DC's conntinuity.

They sacrifice quantity for quality and I'm just suppose to let it slide? Maybe you guys can but I can't.

And to keep things realitively relevant, Constantine could just use a curse to cleanse the demon part of Dante's soul and reduce him to human form, thus shutting off his superabilities along with the super strength and super speed. then it'd just be a simple matter to create a counter seal to block any inhuman harm on him mixed with his ability to create his own luck.

Done deal.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
This has nothing to do with new vs old. This has to do with the quality of Dante falling with every DMC game to come out and all Capcom has to do is live off the hype and not even make an effort.

Whether his character fell with each game is subjective, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not saying your opinion isn't relevant; I am saying not everyone feels the same way you do about it. However, I do agree that Capcom has been a little too complacent, given the amount of b.s. they like spoon-feeding fans of their games. Obviously, this extends to more than just the DMC franchise (Poor, poor Mega Man).

Its like DC with Constantine. They think that because Hellblazer has 300+ issues that they can just use that as an excuse to just write John as a sterotypical magic anti hero in DC's conntinuity.

They sacrifice quantity for quality and I'm just suppose to let it slide? Maybe you guys can but I can't.

I see your point; still, it tends to boil down to individual perspective. To be honest, I know very little about Constantine in the first place, so I can't really relate to how you feel on this particular subject; all I can do is apply it to the things I do know, and go from there.

And to keep things realitively relevant, Constantine could just use a curse to cleanse the demon part of Dante's soul and reduce him to human form, thus shutting off his superabilities along with the super strength and super speed. then it'd just be a simple matter to create a counter seal to block any inhuman harm on him mixed with his ability to create his own luck.

Done deal.

And thus, my ignorance of Constantine's full abilities has done me in. :p Doing that to Dante (whatever his incarnation) is riding a fine line between being both a good thing, and a bad thing. Though for DmC Dante, he'd at least still have his angel abilities...

Classic Dante would have to adapt to the change, and well...demon hunting would be considerably more of a challenge to him.

DragonMaster2010

Dudes! Just saw the first image of Constantine!!!
constantine-first-official-image__140313145124-jpeg.1025

MUTHA. ****IN. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom