• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante (classic or reboot) vs. John Constantine

Would do you think would win?

• John Constantine

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • One of the Dantes

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

berto

I Saw the Devil
Oh...then yeah, he'd die...then become King of Hell...and get right back out of hell and have proper prep time and do it again.
Yeah, this bugs the crap out of me. Why would he get to be king of hell? Are god and the devil in Constantine uncreative pushovers who can't think of a way to deal with a guy who is mere fractions their age? You can't tell me he's smarter than god, or more powerful, yet he's got him scared that he might unleash hell and now he's untouchable. For an all powerful being who could, I don't know, wipe his memory clean and ether give him a new life or leave him vegetated or, worse case scenario, just completely remove him from existence, God sure is limited in this universe. And the devil? Well, the devils sounds just plain uncreative on this one, is it really so hard to deal with a mortal? If Michael can beat him to a pulp, as previously stated, why would god or the devil fear him? Because they can't come up with creative solutions?

I swear, if this was the Greeks they would've come up wit half a dozen solutions by now, just look at Sisyphus and Prometheus, now those gods knew how to deal out punishment.

The Final Offer

Dude, John was already in this situation with God and Lucifer millions of times before, and he STILL fooled them both. It's really no difference. There's always that one being that is the all-powerful, and John always has a way to make some kind of deal with them whether alive or dead.

But then again, this isn't Constantine vs Spawn. It's Constantine vs Dante.
You'd be surprised how much demons need Constantine compared to Dante. Constantine is the ULTIMATE prize to the demons and is considered the win all-end all. He IS the most interested soul in hell and only one of the three most powerful demons can have him. Dante is like the second place prize compared to John.

And again, Satan in that universe has the same kind of abilities as Spawn. But if John is dissipated from the universe, then that would ultimately break the deal with the powerful beings he's made deals with and that wouldn't be good, so they would need to bring him back to defeat Spawn with as such power as Spawn has and then it wouldn't be so much of an epic battle as it would be a battle made of pure existence. I look at every possible means as to how such a fight would go.

But like I said; This isn't John vs Spawn. It's John vs. Dante.

If you can not accept that Dante will be able to take up the experience or even has the intelligence to take down Constantine in a one on one fight with no Gods or Satans or whatever to "con" then what the Hell is this we're arguing? Your love for Constantine?

I'm telling you, there are no rebounds for Constantine if he loses in the fight. There are no "Get out of jail" cards. He is torn from all of his contacts and is placed somewhere where even the most powerful beings over Satan and God wouldn't know if he died or not. If his soul is unrecoverable, then Constantine loses this battle with no cheap tricks.

So, you've already admitted Constantine would lose this battle. The deal is settled.

By the way Constantine is written, he's smarter than God and Satan. You're telling me, these beings sat there and let him fool them? The beings that have seen every thing in the universe got conned out of a deal? What kind of....no. They should've just left it to cosmic powered beings nothing further. I can't, I won't take in the Hellblazer comics knowing that everyone is stupid including Batman.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
If you can not accept that Dante will be able to take up the experience or even has the intelligence to take down Constantine in a one on one fight with no Gods or Satans or whatever to "con" then what the Hell is this we're arguing? Your love for Constantine?

I'm telling you, there are no rebounds for Constantine if he loses in the fight. There are no "Get out of jail" cards. He is torn from all of his contacts and is placed somewhere where even the most powerful beings over Satan and God wouldn't know if he died or not. If his soul is unrecoverable, then Constantine loses this battle with no cheap tricks.

I didn't start the thread, I'm taking all possibilities into question.

You realize the second John is close to death, they'll know. They'll literally rip through their planes to get him. All it takes is for John to be close to, or die once. Then he'd either go to hell and be torn to shreds (which I doubt since he's been to hell once or twice and just walked on out) or he'd try to take over hell. Then he'd do research about Dante, and come back with a plan. Constantine will always have contacts. That's how he's survived for so long. John's deals are risky but also very persuasive and binding. If one breaks a deal, not only will they have nothing to gain, but they could even die at the risk of breaking such a deal or betraying John.

There are rebounds. John dies, the deal comes in, comes back to life, or John dies, tries to rule hell, does knowledge on Dante, comes back with a proper plan. Dante is a lot of things, but cunning and underhanded isn't one of them. That's Vergil's thing. Dante's more action and style through reflex. Constantine is about using his knowledge of demons and array of mage abilities. John could more then easily persuade Dante to his side whether it be a chance to bring back Vergil and his family or a chance to save a friend in need.

John would still have a chance to best Dante one way or another. Not in the means of battle, but in the means of intelligence and knowledge mixed with persuasion. If Trish can persuade Dante, then anyone can persuade Dante, including John.

By the way Constantine is written, he's smarter than God and Satan. You're telling me, these beings sat there and let him fool them? The beings that have seen every thing in the universe got conned out of a deal? What kind of....no. They should've just left it to cosmic powered beings nothing further. I can't, I won't take in the Hellblazer comics knowing that everyone is stupid including Batman.

If you read the comics, you'll know why John's soul is so special and why heaven and hell want it so badly. It's one of those souls that no one else will ever have or even come close to having. John's soul is the giant trophy that anyone would get their hands on. Would you really risk such a prize to your most hated enemy?

Yeah, this bugs the crap out of me. Why would he get to be king of hell?
John's made so many deals with all kinds of beings that he's kind of got a soul of immunity on him. Some where if he dies, the other powerful demons will have his soul, to which Satan doesn't want because HE wants his soul, and God needs him alive so that he doesn't gain Lucifer's power and rule Hell.

All in all, John's a giant asshole.

The Final Offer

I didn't start the thread, I'm taking all possibilities into question.

You realize the second John is close to death, they'll know. They'll literally rip through their planes to get him. All it takes is for John to be close to, or die once. Then he'd either go to hell and be torn to shreds (which I doubt since he's been to hell once or twice and just walked on out) or he'd try to take over hell. Then he'd do research about Dante, and come back with a plan. Constantine will always have contacts. That's how he's survived for so long. John's deals are risky but also very persuasive and binding. If one breaks a deal, not only will they have nothing to gain, but they could even die at the risk of breaking such a deal or betraying John.

There are rebounds. John dies, the deal comes in, comes back to life, or John dies, tries to rule hell, does knowledge on Dante, comes back with a proper plan. Dante is a lot of things, but cunning and underhanded isn't one of them. That's Vergil's thing. Dante's more action and style through reflex. Constantine is about using his knowledge of demons and array of mage abilities. John could more then easily persuade Dante to his side whether it be a chance to bring back Vergil and his family or a chance to save a friend in need.

John would still have a chance to best Dante one way or another. Not in the means of battle, but in the means of intelligence and knowledge mixed with persuasion. If Trish can persuade Dante, then anyone can persuade Dante, including John.

If you read the comics, you'll know why John's soul is so special and why heaven and hell want it so badly. It's one of those souls that no one else will ever have or even come close to having. John's soul is the giant trophy that anyone would get their hands on. Would you really risk such a prize to your most hated enemy?

John's made so many deals with all kinds of beings that he's kind of got a soul of immunity on him. Some where if he dies, the other powerful demons will have his soul, to which Satan doesn't want because HE wants his soul, and God needs him alive so that he doesn't gain Lucifer's power and rule Hell.

All in all, John's a giant asshole.

Oh sweet, so Spawn could just hold onto said soul and beat the **** outta whomever dares cross into his universe. Or he could just destroy it.

Dante's so not going to listen to Constantine if he has prep time and Constantine is going to know this and not have anything to do with this fight.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Oh sweet, so Spawn could just hold onto said soul and beat the **** outta whomever dares cross into his universe. Or he could just destroy it.
Remember when this thread was about DANTE vs CONSTANTINE? I do. Let's actually get back to that like the thread was intended.

Dante's so not going to listen to Constantine if he has prep time and Constantine is going to know this and not have anything to do with this fight.

If Dante was gonna listen to Trish upon their very first meeting and not at all question why she looks like his mom, I think it's safe to assume Dante would fall for whatever bullcrap Constantine was telling him. I agree with Bazil up there; Dante is strong, but is lacking on the intelligence side. Now someone like Vergil would be a bit more difficult to fool, but really, all you'd need to do is promise him power and he'll do whatever anyone says.

Dante may be strong, but he's more talk sh*t first, shoot later; the kind of sucker Constantine would gain something from whether taking a friend hostage, bringing back his mom from the dead unless he does what he says, or even not bothering to fight him simply because he just doesn't feel like wasting the effort on him.

Bazilican

Love how you bring in Spawn every time I make a point of how John could win. Like a protective blanket.

All in all, John could beat Dante with the right schemes, the right words, and proper curses seeing as how Dante isn't immune to cruses or other magical affects.

Bazilican

Also John could create illusions. If anything, he could create an illusion of Dante's mother and make her chant that he was the reason she's dead or bring up an illusion of Vergil and make him say how weak he is.

Anyone know if Dante's still got mother issues?

berto

I Saw the Devil
If Dante was gonna listen to Trish upon their very first meeting and not at all question why she looks like his mom, I think it's safe to assume Dante would fall for whatever bullcrap Constantine was telling him.
Why? Does Constantine look like his father or someone he would trust? Dante is not stupid, I don't know where you got that from. He's goofy, silly, and even childish, but not stupid. You don't fight demons successfully by been stupid, specially since demons have a superior intellect to humans in DMC.

Dante banters to get a rise out of demons, the same way you would mock some one on the other team to put them off balance and he acts the way he does because if he showed how he really felt the demons would be able to manipulate him. That behavior is half act half shield.

bringing back his mom from the dead unless he does what he says,
Using his mother? Fool me once. After the Trish thing I doubt it would work again. At this point I think he'd provably start wrapping things up and moving on since offers to bring back his mother are provably more abundant than that, and threat or offer, he'd provably react the same way.

DragonMaster2010

How to combat someone like Constantine. Didn't I already go over this a few pages back?

Yeah, and I already brought up ways John can negate all that. hell, he could just go back in time to when Dante was a baby and end it all there.

Why? Does Constantine look like his father or someone he would trust? Dante is not stupid, I don't know where you got that from. He's goofy, silly, and even childish, but not stupid. You don't fight demons successfully by been stupid, specially since demons have a superior intellect to humans in DMC.
superior intelect...yeeeah, if anything it's more moderate intelect mixed with hundreds of years of living.

I'm not saying Dante's stupid, but I also wouldn't say he's as quick thinking as Constantine when it comes to some situations. Most of it seems to be reflex then actual planning on the fly.

Playing DMC, I've always notice that Dante seems like the type to get fooled easily if the right words are spoken. Maybe that all comes from DMC3 and DMC4's version of him, but I just found Dante in those two games as a bit gullible if the right words are spoken. Constantine has his strange ways of getting people to his side and it always back fires on the poor guy he rings in. Dante just seems like one of those types of guys who plays by the rules of demon hunting.

So if anything, I can see Constantine playing Dante like a fiddle and then screwing him over in the end.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, and I already brought up ways John can negate all that. hell, he could just go back in time to when Dante was a baby and end it all there.
2000 years ago. The forces of evil led by Mundus,
Emperor of the Underworld, began their invasion of
the world of men. Their intelligence surpassing that
of humans, men were powerless against this evil force.
Then one man appeared. Though evil, he was a lone
swordsman who saw the light of justice. His name was
Sparda. After a fierce life-and-death fight, he left
the evil forces.

So if anything, I can see Constantine playing Dante like a fiddle and then screwing him over in the end.
Not I. I've been reading the book and so far I haven't read anything so outstanding that tell me he could beat Dante on any fight. Constantine managed to win a lot of his fights by playing on what those demons want and manipulating more powerful creatures to help him get by. What can he offer Dante, the power to kill demons? If demons haven't been able to dangle what Dante wants in front of him who know him better than any living being what will he bring to the table. Constantine's fights seem to involve more than one interaction in order to set his pieces, Dante tend to end things the first time around.

The Final Offer

superior intelect...yeeeah, if anything it's more moderate intelect mixed with hundreds of years of living.

I'm not saying Dante's stupid, but I also wouldn't say he's as quick thinking as Constantine when it comes to some situations. Most of it seems to be reflex then actual planning on the fly.

Playing DMC, I've always notice that Dante seems like the type to get fooled easily if the right words are spoken. Maybe that all comes from DMC3 and DMC4's version of him, but I just found Dante in those two games as a bit gullible if the right words are spoken. Constantine has his strange ways of getting people to his side and it always back fires on the poor guy he rings in. Dante just seems like one of those types of guys who plays by the rules of demon hunting.

Come on. It's quite plain to see that arcane knowledge doesn't mean jack****.
Expert conning doesn't mean jack****.
Mind control doesn't mean jack****.
Evocation doesn't mean jack****.
That demonic blood inside of him does mean something.

Dante's doppleganger definitely means something.
Dante's prep time definitely means something.
Dante's devil trigger definitely means something.
Dante's time manipulation definitely means something.
Dante being Dante definitely means something.
Dante's inhuman abilities definitely mean something.
Dante's experience definitely means something.
Dante's capability with any weapon he picks up definitely means something.

14 words.

The. Damn. Guy. Can. Master. Any. Weapon. He. Picks. Up. Right. On. The. Spot.

Dante's intellect > Constantine's intellect.

Go back in time to kill baby Dante!? Good luck getting past Sparda.

There, I'm done nerding.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

2000 years ago. The forces of evil led by Mundus,
Emperor of the Underworld, began their invasion of
the world of men. Their intelligence surpassing that
of humans, men were powerless against this evil force.
Then one man appeared. Though evil, he was a lone
swordsman who saw the light of justice. His name was
Sparda. After a fierce life-and-death fight, he left
the evil forces.
They sure as hell don't show their intelligence that surpasses humans since Dante can easily kill them off without much of a plan, and Constantine uses demons as pawns. Most of the demons Dante fights are either lackeys who attack like drones or hell bent with rage against Dante.

Not I. I've been reading the book and so far I haven't read anything so outstanding that tell me he could beat Dante on any fight. Constantine managed to win a lot of his fights by playing on what those demons want and manipulating more powerful creatures to help him get by. What can he offer Dante, the power to kill demons? If demons haven't been able to dangle what Dante wants in front of him who know him better than any living being what will he bring to the table. Constantine's fights seem to involve more than one interaction in order to set his pieces, Dante tend to end things the first time around.

In later stories is when John really get's stuff started when he's really faced with issues beyond him. He doesn't use full power with his magic or go on to fighting unless he really has no other choice but to rely on them.

No demon has ever dangled the chance to bring back his dead family, and considering the story, its obvious Dante does care about his family.

And again, he can go back in time, stop Dante from being born, and end it all there.

Dante won't finish Constantine first time around, because Dante, to me, is a talker. He'll talk first, shoot afterwards because he's gotta get a one liner in somewhere, such is his cocky nature. John get's one liners in too, but if something dangerous enough to do harm to him is at the brink of dying, he'll skip the one liners and just kill him there.

Come on. It's quite plain to see that arcane knowledge doesn't mean jack****.
Expert conning doesn't mean jack****.
Mind control doesn't mean jack****.
Evocation doesn't mean jack****.
That demonic blood inside of him does mean something.

So your saying Dante's susceptible to mind control? If I remember correctly in the anime at the poker game, he confessed he truly was mind controlled by the demon, so if Dante had no plan of his own, then John COULD control him.

Invocations do matter. All He'd have to do was delve into Dante's mind, and from there summon clones every demon Dante's faced in the past and make them all charge at him at the same time. Yeah Dante would win, but he'd also get tired at some point. Meanwhile Constantine's looking from a far to see how he progresses and take note on his moves to pick out the right weapons he'd need in order to fight Dante.

You're right, the demon blood doesn't mean something, but it would if Constantine where to steal something from Dante and use it for his own purpose after purifying it of any curses Dante may have put on it.

Dante's doppleganger definitely means something.
It copies everything Dante does to a T. Not that intimidating.

Dante's prep time definitely means something.
Constantine doesn't just show off all his skills so easily so there's not much he'll get on John.

Dante's devil trigger definitely means something.
So Dante get's faster and stronger...basically the equivalent of Lucifer. And though that would pose a threat, I'm sure John'll find a way.

Dante's time manipulation definitely means something.
I think it states John's got something like that too. Plus Lucifer could just bust him out of that time laps.

Dante being Dante definitely means something.
Not really. A name is just a name.

Dante's inhuman abilities definitely mean something.
Yeah, cause John hasn't faced inhuman enemies before, right?

Dante's experience definitely means something.
Dude, John's had way longer. DMC1-4 covers Dante's life from about his early 20s to his 40s. John's got from literally seven or eight to his 60's of experience, and most of all that was on luck.

Dante's capability with any weapon he picks up definitely means something.

14 words.

The. Damn. Guy. Can. Master. Any. Weapon. He. Picks. Up. Right. On. The. Spot.
So he twirls a stick good upon first picking it up. John can rip a demons head off after using Shazam's powers for the very first time in the DC comic.

Dante's intellect > Constantine's intellect.
Unless Dante can set up a plan within a plan that's set up from another plan and can activate a final plan in the mist of the second plan to release his fourth plan, then...
tumblr_inline_n06oci4KTi1s5goqe.gif

Go back in time to kill baby Dante!? Good luck getting past Sparda.
Sparda wasn't around by that time.

There, I'm done nerding.

At least you tried.

The Final Offer

They sure as hell don't show their intelligence that surpasses humans since Dante can easily kill them off without much of a plan, and Constantine uses demons as pawns. Most of the demons Dante fights are either lackeys who attack like drones or hell bent with rage against Dante.

In later stories is when John really get's stuff started when he's really faced with issues beyond him. He doesn't use full power with his magic or go on to fighting unless he really has no other choice but to rely on them.

No demon has ever dangled the chance to bring back his dead family, and considering the story, its obvious Dante does care about his family.

And again, he can go back in time, stop Dante from being born, and end it all there.

Dante won't finish Constantine first time around, because Dante, to me, is a talker. He'll talk first, shoot afterwards because he's gotta get a one liner in somewhere, such is his cocky nature. John get's one liners in too, but if something dangerous enough to do harm to him is at the brink of dying, he'll skip the one liners and just kill him there.

So your saying Dante's susceptible to mind control? If I remember correctly in the anime at the poker game, he confessed he truly was mind controlled by the demon, so if Dante had no plan of his own, then John COULD control him.

Invocations do matter. All He'd have to do was delve into Dante's mind, and from there summon clones every demon Dante's faced in the past and make them all charge at him at the same time. Yeah Dante would win, but he'd also get tired at some point. Meanwhile Constantine's looking from a far to see how he progresses and take note on his moves to pick out the right weapons he'd need in order to fight Dante.

You're right, the demon blood doesn't mean something, but it would if Constantine where to steal something from Dante and use it for his own purpose after purifying it of any curses Dante may have put on it.

At least you tried.

1. You didn't answer the question about Constantine vs Sparda. Nobody knows what Sparda is capable of and thus, Constantine would die attempting to take Dante's life.

2. Dante has experience with being mind controlled and thus must have some barriers around him.

3.Dante has way too many powerful weapons to be slighted by a summoning of a demon army. He'd murder Constantine before he could even think about it.

4.Dante would enter the battle in such a way it'd surprise Constantine and foil any plan he has. That's just how he is and no one would know this because Dante kills those who've seen it. The element of surprise is definitely on Dante's side.

5. Dante knows who has demon blood inside of them. Trish would inform him of Constantine use her arcane powers to enchant Dante's entirety and boom, bye bye anything Constantine can do.

6. Pandora's box.

Thus, there is NO way for Constantine to win if Dante has prep time or if he doesn't.

The main question is, why can't you see that?

DragonMaster2010

1. You didn't answer the question about Constantine vs Sparda. Nobody knows what Sparda is capable of and thus, Constantine would die attempting to take Dante's life.
First of all, I said Sparda died shortly after Dante and Vergil were born. John could've traveled back to after Sparda died and ended Dante as a baby there.

Secondly, we don't know what Sparda was capable of, therefore the fight would be undetermined.

2. Dante has experience with being mind controlled and thus must have some barriers around him.
Name one.

3.Dante has way too many powerful weapons to be slighted by a summoning of a demon army. He'd murder Constantine before he could even think about it.
You mean all those weapons from DMC3 to DMC1 that he apparently sold off years ago? Yeah, apparently he sold those powerful weapons. Y'know who could've got them? John.

4.Dante would enter the battle in such a way it'd surprise Constantine and foil any plan he has. That's just how he is and no one would know this because Dante kills those who've seen it. The element of surprise is definitely on Dante's side.
When has Dante ever been the element of surprise? He pretty much breaks in through the areas he goes to and talks his mouth off. John's not gonna just stand there and wait for him. He's obviously gonna have traps set up that could affect Dante's well being. And like I said, Constantine's got weapons that could affect Dante. Despite him being the son of Sparda, it's evident that Dante if affected to much of the things regular demons can be affected by.

5. Dante knows who has demon blood inside of them. Trish would inform him of Constantine use her arcane powers to enchant Dante's entirety and boom, bye bye anything Constantine can do.
John could just sense Trish out, let her think he's a certain way and tell Dante about it, only for Constantine to come with something completely unpredictable and, boom Dante's screwed.

6. Pandora's box.
You mean that thing that takes like a good three seconds to prepare? Well it is one second, but John could easily dodge it with a simple shield of magic. problem solved.

Thus, there is NO way for Constantine to win if Dante has prep time or if he doesn't.

The main question is, why can't you see that?

I can't see that, because you haven't shown anything that could prove to me that John wouldn't beat Dante. All you've shown is Dante's brute force and his ton of weapons, but you haven't shown whether or not Dante could think up a strategy or second plan of attack in case he loses, meanwhile John's thought three steps ahead of Dante the second they meet. And if he had prep time, it'd be five steps ahead.

Brain can beat brawn.

The Final Offer

First of all, I said Sparda died shortly after Dante and Vergil were born. John could've traveled back to after Sparda died and ended Dante as a baby there.

Secondly, we don't know what Sparda was capable of, therefore the fight would be undetermined.

Name one.

That's right, you DON'T know. Noone knows and thus Constantine wouldn't even know when to attempt taking the life of Dante. Time travel is out of the question.

You mean all those weapons from DMC3 to DMC1 that he apparently sold off years ago? Yeah, apparently he sold those powerful weapons. Y'know who could've got them? John.

What are those weapons going to do against Dante? What is John going to do? Give them to the demons Dante already defeated so they can try again?

When has Dante ever been the element of surprise? He pretty much breaks in through the areas he goes to and talks his mouth off. John's not gonna just stand there and wait for him. He's obviously gonna have traps set up that could affect Dante's well being. And like I said, Constantine's got weapons that could affect Dante. Despite him being the son of Sparda, it's evident that Dante if affected to much of the things regular demons can be affected by.

DMC4 -First stage - Says nothing- Blasts demon.
DMC2- Breaks glass during intro- blasts unsuspecting demons.

Traps? Lolz. Traps against Dante who's partner is skilled in the same arts as Constantine. No. Don't think so.

John could just sense Trish out, let her think he's a certain way and tell Dante about it, only for Constantine to come with something completely unpredictable and, boom Dante's screwed.

Nope. Doesn't work that way when you're speaking with someone's partner who knows of you. She's not the type to believe some bs, but Constantine wouldn't know that because he only has information on Dante. She'd kill Constantine right there on the spot.

You mean that thing that takes like a good three seconds to prepare? Well it is one second, but John could easily dodge it with a simple shield of magic. problem solved.

How would he know a shield of magic can help him dodge what's in the PANDORA'S box? He wouldn't know what's in it or how Dante uses what's in it. This is another reason he wouldn't show up to the fight.

I can't see that, because you haven't shown anything that could prove to me that John wouldn't beat Dante. All you've shown is Dante's brute force and his ton of weapons, but you haven't shown whether or not Dante could think up a strategy or second plan of attack in case he loses, meanwhile John's thought three steps ahead of Dante the second they meet. And if he had prep time, it'd be five steps ahead.

Brain can beat brawn.

You're making it seem like Dante isn't experienced with fighting a magician. He took full blasts from Trish like it was nothing. Sat on the fiery tail of Berial. You know the rest.

It would suck though, if their battleground was a rose garden. Everybody knows that Dante can step traps. Dante can and will set traps if need be. You can even do these things in game. The guy's intelligence in battle is off the charts. He'd ricochet a bullet from his shop off several comic book stores into Constantine's head right as Constantine thinks he's clear to summon whatever.

On top of that, Dante's teleport is just too much for Constantine to handle.

berto

I Saw the Devil
In the latter games, yeah, demons turned to punching bags but in 1 they are far more interesting and aggressive. You can't tell me that you just start swinging and shooting without strategy and that's how you win, that'd get you killed and fast.

This is also why I don't see this as Constantine's win. Every time he faces a demon that he is afraid of there is always a 'who dares' or 'the only reason you're not dead' conversations with this guy to allow time to strategize and maneuver. I keep thinking of those extra aggressive enemies in DMC1 like the Shadows and the death scythes who don't talk and just barrage at the enemy. The only way I can see Constantine winning against those are if he has preparation time and they don't exactly call ahead of time to make reservations. If I can't see him winning against things Dante kills I don't see him winning against Dante.

I'll have to take your word for it. I am in dome of later chapters and I haven't seen anything like that yet.

If the magic is available why would John be immune to the same tactic?

Do you-- Do you use the taunt button for every fight in the games more than most? Is that why you think Dante would spend half an hour conversing with some random guy so he just met and is getting aggressive, he wouldn't do that for random demons or gangsters, why would he for a stranger he just met?

Brain can beat brawn.
I'd agree but every time that subject comes up my friends bring up Hulk who never looses to any of the super geniuses he fights with and has the IQ of a canine. Enough brawn can get you just about anything sometimes.

You know, I think this is going to lead nowhere. You are not convincing me that Constantine will win nor am I going to try to tell you otherwise anymore. This isn't something so crucial that I feel I must get as a win for the argument nor to drive my point across and convince you otherwise. Usually when my responses get this long I know it's time to call it quits, anyway.

I'll give you my opinion of John thus far, though.

Constantine is like Felix Castor, only more famous and more comic book, he's not a scumbag by design but by necessity and the writers make it so he has to be. He doesn't have to go and find the one priest who wouldn't help him to get an artifact or item despite the cause and how righteous it is because he is the only one there is in town, it's the writers who make it so he has to go to that one guy, treat him like crap, get his way and then feeling like slime for it otherwise there'd be no display of the depts he'd go to to do what's right. I don't know why he and Dante would ever lock horns except for John having to by force, and then he would probably utilize Dante, the man who made the devil cry, to his advantage rather than a sacrifice to further his needs.

It's weird how similar to Felix Castor he is, down to the British part. The big difference been the hard luck themes that go to Felix and the title of 'exorcist.'

Edit: Well that was certainly dumb of me. The reason Felix and John are so similar is because the author wrote a few of the Hellblazer stories. I knew that, too. Now I feel silly.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

You know, I think this is going to lead nowhere. You are not convincing me that Constantine will win nor am I going to try to tell you otherwise anymore. This isn't something so crucial that I feel I must get as a win for the argument nor to drive my point across and convince you otherwise. Usually when my responses get this long I know it's time to call it quits, anyway.

I'll give you my opinion of John thus far, though.

Constantine is like Felix Castor, only more famous and more comic book, he's not a scumbag by design but by necessity and the writers make it so he has to be. He doesn't have to go and find the one priest who wouldn't help him to get an artifact or item despite the cause and how righteous it is because he is the only one there is in town, it's the writers who make it so he has to go to that one guy, treat him like crap, get his way and then feeling like slime for it otherwise there'd be no display of the depts he'd go to to do what's right. I don't know why he and Dante would ever lock horns except for John having to by force, and then he would probably utilize Dante, the man who made the devil cry, to his advantage rather than a sacrifice to further his needs.

It's weird how similar to Felix Castor he is, down to the British part. The big difference been the hard luck themes that go to Felix and the title of 'exorcist.'

Edit: Well that was certainly dumb of me. The reason Felix and John are so similar is because the author wrote a few of the Hellblazer stories. I knew that, too. Now I feel silly.

Yeah, you're right. I guess this is the impasse to reach then.

And yeah, Feliex and John were similar because the author wrote a few of the stories for Hellblazer. :D

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
Brain can beat brawn.
Sure it can. And vice versa. Dante isn't exactly a mindless brute, he's cocky and carefree in fights because he knows 99% of enemies are no match for him.

Slightly off topic; having not read the comics, is Constantine just a supernatural version of Batman? AKA "prep time = victory regardless of circumstance, because prep time"

Bazilican

Slightly off topic; having not read the comics, is Constantine just a supernatural version of Batman? AKA "prep time = victory regardless of circumstance, because prep time"

I can answer that.

John doesn't per say win. He sets up a plan in the mist of pressure along with making agreements and deals with demons to make sure he doesn't get killed. He also isn't as honorable as Batman. John isn't above using cheap shots and underhanded moves to win. He even sacrificed half of all his friends just so he could live.

But John is pretty OP. He's just too lazy or uninterested to use the abilities.

Top Bottom