• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Comic Fans and Racism: Destroying Your Ignorant Arguments

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Ok, this has been bugging me for quite a bit right now because I can't even believe how much of an issue this has become among comic fans. And that's the fact Michael B. Jordan has been cast as Johnny Storm in the new Fantastic Four movie.

Now, I don't think this film looks good. It looks nothing like the Fantastic Four really, and one of my favorite comic book villains is an anti social blogger who looks like the Skeletor from the Masters of the Universe movie wrapped in duct tape. But for frick sake, if a black guy cast as Johnny Storm is your biggest issue, you deserve a slap in the face, and are straight up being racist and you probably don't even realize.

-"But it's not about race!, It's about sticking to the source material!"

Now putting aside the fact this argument is usually followed by talking strictly about race, the source material was created in the like 50s and 60s where a black superhero was unheard of, and even a female superhero would struggle for acceptance. Yea, that was the time these comic books were created. Diversity and representation wasn't a thing. It's 2015. Now we live in a time where this IS a thing.

And you know what? For comic fans, what's the one thing comic books, as well as any other entertainment medium does? Move on with the times.

You need to grow up and realize the world we live in. You haven't outgrown comic books, BUT COMIC BOOKS HAVE OUTGROWN YOU.

-"But Sue and Johhny are siblings!"

If you can't think of any of the many, many, many, MANY, reasons a biracial family exist, I feel sorry for you.

-"Well let's just make a movie about Abraham Lincoln and cast him as a black guy"

Fine line between fictional characters and real people dumbass.

-"Then let's make Black Panther a white guy and so on"

You do know, unlike Johnny Storm, Black Panther's ethnicity is a crucial part of his character, right? Johnny Storm however is not defined by his ethnicity. He's cocky, charismatic, and a bit hot headed. A role Michael B. Jordan is perfectly capable of doing. Does this mean they can do the same for characters like Batman and Superman, yes. And they also already have.

I think I've pretty much covered all of the arguments stemming from such a decision these racist geeks have. If not, I can still destroy more. Yes, this thing indeed makes me angry, really, it makes me sick. To see how far we've come only to still have to deal with such assbackwards way of thinking will always get me ****ed. And I will always speak out against it. I think we should because this is not something to conserve, it needs to change.

Angry rant over.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
i wouldn't really know about this since i'm not much of a comic guy
i'm not doubting you but are they really that racist

i'm not saying those are the best complaints but they'd have some merit if you were a big Fantastic 4 fan

also i'm more of a just make more good diverse characters instead of just turning old ones a different race kind of guy

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
i wouldn't really know about this since i'm not much of a comic guy
i'm not doubting you but are they really that racist

i'm not saying those are the best complaints but they'd have some merit if you were a big Fantastic 4 fan

also i'm more of a just make more good diverse characters instead of just turning old ones a different race kind of guy
They have no merit friend. Johnny Storm is not defined by his ethnicity.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Same, and I don't even care about Fantastic Four. This also applies to changing existing characters' genders as well.
Exactly, there are plenty of great, non-white comic book characters, like, how much has FOX neglected to reach Storm's full potential. and Bishop JUST made his movie debut last year. When they change a character's race for diversity's sake, it feels... token. Like, "LOOK GUYS WE'RE DIVERSE! WE'RE PROGRESSIVE AND POLITICS POLITICS POLITICS"
I'm fine with race changes, so long as you're doing it for something other than just changing the race.
Like, Will Smith is playing Deadshot, he's not playing Deadshot because it would change the race, he's playing Deadshot because he fits the role.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
And people don't think Michael B. Jordan was cast in the role just because he auditioned and they thought he would be great in it?

Hell, just look at Chronicle, he was practically Johnny Storm there.

This movie looks awful, but not because Michael is Johnny.

I am also a person sick and tired of gay and minority characters getting treated like token or gimmick, but this is not one of those cases. This is just a simple casting being made, and it bringing out the ignorant fans I don't welcome in my fandom.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrrandomlulz

I am also a person sick and tired of gay and minority characters getting treated like token or gimmick, but this is not one of those cases. This is just a simple casting being made, and it bringing out the ignorant fans I don't welcome in my fandom.
Honestly, there are a lot more problems with the upcoming fantastic 4 that are keeping me from seeing it, namely the part where it's supposed to be more realistic.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Changing a character's ethnicity instead of creating a new character for the sake of diversity?

Isn't that like making Blade and Spawn white? I feel like I've talked about this before...
Well, like I said, I'm also not on board with nonsensical pandering, but this isn't the case. And it ****es me off because it just makes me hate people more.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Meh, I suppose Chancey's right. As long as his personality's the same, and his portrayal is true to his depiction in the comics, the random ethnicity change doesn't really affect things.

mrrandomlulz

Well, like I said, I'm also not on board with nonsensical pandering, but this isn't the case. And it ****es me off because it just makes me hate people more.
Honestly, the most token diversity I've seen has to be that black Jimmy Olsen in the new Supergirl
I mean really, are you gonna lead me to think that the TALL, MUSCULAR GUY WHO HAS THE ABILITY TO ASSERT HIMSELF AND LOOKS GOOD was your ideal choice for Jimmy Olsen, I mean, come on! That actor was everything Jimmy Olsen wasn't! Like, forget race, you literally casted the polar opposite of Jimmy Olsen!

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I'm cool with who they cast as Johnny. I just don't have any hope for the F4 as a film series *Shrugs*. Though to be fair, I had no hope for Days of Future Past either and it was one of my top 5 of 2014, maybe this'll surprise me too

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I don't like it when established characters are changed in race and gender, not only because I want my male and white protags to stay that way, but because I want the same thing for my other favorite characters of other races and gender.

I don't want a black guy to be cast as James Bond and I don't want a white guy to be cast as Blade or Joker to be turned into a female like FemThor or the worst case scenario, my Harley Quinn becomes a dude.
I'm all for more diverse characters being made, but if that means my favorite characters are being changed in gender and race then I'm sure as hell going to fight against it. But I'm not much of a comic book fan so it doesn't really bother me so much with F4, I doubt I'll even watch the movie.

Now if someone wants to make an awesome original spy franchise similar to the Bond movies or Mission Impossible movies with Idris Elba as the lead I'll be first in line to see it.

I heard that a black Spiderman was going to happen but that he wasn't going to be Peter Parker instead he'd be a different version of Spiderman from the comics who was already black and I'm ok with that, it's a different character who can stand on his own so there's no reason to rage.

Top Bottom