• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom Halves Forcast: Blames "Excessive Outsourcing"

Terrutas

Am I the only one who thinks that Ninja Theoy's arrogance is a marketing strategy?

I mean, just look at what they've done.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Am I the only one who thinks that Ninja Theoy's arrogance is a marketing strategy?

I mean, just look at what they've done.
I don't think it is. Or if it is, this is a bad strategy to use. I think I know what they were trying to say, but it came out all wrong and ended up just upsetting even more people than were already upset in the first place.
I decided just to ignore what they said and bought DmC because I liked the look of it. Got to say though, I was really made when I saw the 2010 trailer. I was thinking 'wtd is this?!' followed by 'they killed Dante!' But since the flying through the trailer naked with pizza junk video, I began to like it. ^_^

Terrutas

I don't think it is. Or if it is, this is a bad strategy to use. I think I know what they were trying to say, but it came out all wrong and ended up just upsetting even more people than were already upset in the first place.
I decided just to ignore what they said and bought DmC because I liked the look of it. Got to say though, I was really made when I saw the 2010 trailer. I was thinking 'wtd is this?!' followed by 'they killed Dante!' But since the flying through the trailer naked with pizza junk video, I began to like it. ^_^
The Trailer didn't faze me at all. I just thought it's like a prequel, I was 13 at the time so I didn't really care.

But the moment I heard that idiot say Dante isn't cool anymore, I thought "Who the **** do you think you are? you just said that this is a reboot and now you're thrashing my series? Go **** yourself".

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
The Trailer didn't faze me at all. I just thought it's like a prequel, I was 13 at the time so I didn't really care.

But the moment I heard that idiot say Dante isn't cool anymore, I thought "Who the **** do you think you are? you just said that this is a reboot and now you're thrashing my series? Go **** yourself".
I didn't see that at the time. It was while I was on this forum that I heard of that. Got to admit, that was a low blow to the original Dante. Whatever point NT were trying to make, it came out totally the wrong way.

Terrutas

I didn't see that at the time. It was while I was on this forum that I heard of that. Got to admit, that was a low blow to the original Dante. Whatever point NT were trying to make, it came out totally the wrong way.
Here's the best way I can explain this.

Imagine you're a kid.
Imagine you get a super awesome pizza. It tastes so freaking good. You just don't want to stop eating it.
Then this grown up dude comes. He takes away your pizza and hands you a new one that doesn't taste as good.
He says "That pizza isn't mainstream. Everyone likes this one, you should too."
But then you look around, and you notice that there are actually a bunch of people eating the same kind of pizza that he just took away.
So you flip him off and take back the pizza.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Here's the best way I can explain this.

Imagine you're a kid.
Imagine you get a super awesome cake. It tastes so freaking good. You just don't want to stop eating it.
Then this grown up dude comes. He takes away your cake and hands you a new one that doesn't taste as good.
He says "That cake isn't mainstream. Everyone likes this one, you should too."
But then you look around, and you notice that there are actually a bunch of people eating the same kind of cake that he just took away.
So you flip him off and take back the cake.
Yep, that's a pretty good analogy of the feelings about Dante for the fans. Like someone took your cake and tried to give you another cake.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control

Isn't this forum 18+?

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Yeah, that was a terrible strategy, if a strategy at all. NT was trying to propose a radical change of something the fans were really attached to, they could at least have tried to be... kind about it. :ermm:
It's not that by being so hard on someone who criticizes you you convince that person you're right. Just like with flamewars.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
on the internet no one cares about age restriction...NO ONE @.@
Secretly, I'm 10 years old:lol:

Yeah, that was a terrible strategy, if a strategy at all. NT was trying to propose a radical change of something the fans were really attached to, they could at least have tried to be... kind about it. :ermm:
It's not that by being so hard on someone who criticizes you you convince that person you're right. Just like with flamewars.
Exactly. How hard is it to get your viewpoint across to others while being tactful and respectful of how fans feel for old Dante.

It's like they thought fans are like a brick wall. You talk to it enough and eventually they will like what you say.

Cabbage Detective

Cabbages <3
Secretly, I'm 10 years old:lol:
pedobear.jpg

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
If they alienate the people they've drawn from their recent games, I don't see it as a bad thing.

They actually drew in new people with their recent games?

Okay maybe games like Monster Hunter and Sengoku Basara as well as Dead Rising and Dragon's Dogma drew in a new audience for them but those games are fine and don't suffer from issues that RE, DMC, and MegaMan has so I wouldn't alienate fans drew in by new IPs (Okami, VJ, God Hand) and the same applies to their old IPs (Power Stone, Star Gladiator, Strider Hiryu, and Rival Schools).

Their fighting games are fine especially when it comes to drawing in more consumers espcially the Marvel VS Capcom games (just having Marvel characters alone is enough to draw in plenty of Marvel fanboys and even including a Simple mode for people who only play MvC games for fanservice was a smart idea but do you want to know what Capcom should do to draw in an even bigger audience for the MvC series......include a quite interesting story mode...not these arcade mode comic strip endings...no a quite lengthy and decent story mode with a story that doesn't have to be good like Injustice but if anything panders more to fanservice...I mean hearing Thor vs Vergil's exchange/intro made my fanboy juices overflow with ecstasy...and be like how the promotional trailers for MvC3 were).

Now its DMC/DmC, RE, and MegaMan where the fanbase problem lies.

For RE, fans like it for the survival horror days (RE 1-3), some like it for RE4 due to it having a lot of content and tons of exploration as well as high quality (for example Yahtzee practically dislike any RE game except RE4 and slightly likes Revelations), some like RE5/6 for its fun and action, and some like it for the characters and story (I know right). So those are the 4 types of fans of RE (well now it is). Well a majority of RE fans who can deal with change wouldn't mind buying a RE game like RE4/Revelations (they may prefer RE2 more) but wouldn't mind it as long as it feels like RE game. Actually a RE game like RE4 but more scarier or more like RE2 in that regards will be perfect for a majority of the fanbase. Then what to do with fans who like RE for the story and characters....well a good amount of them will buy a RE game regardless...but story wise...after RE6 I don't see the RE story and characters going anywhere other than random adventures (Revelations). Umbrella is done for, Wesker is done, the T,G, and C (?) virus seem to be gone. The world already went to hell in RE6 no point milking the story anymore. Either a new RE series...something like MegaMan X was to MegaMan where its far down the story line with new characters (maybe), a new plot with a new epidemic, or somehing...or better yet a reboot. RE fans will buy it if its like RE before and still scary and stuff while you can keep fans who liked the story and characters by keeping characters and don't change them up......too much...and if anything do a better job with the story and try new things with the story this time. Start over....practically. Now for those who like RE for RE5/6 fun and action....I don't know use your gameplay experience from RE5/6 to make separate IP for those want an action packed shooter or better yet apply that knowledge to Dino Crisis or something. RE6 wasn't well received because it tried to be a survival horror game and an action packed shooter at the same time and they both dragged each other down since the 2 genres are the polar opposite.

Now MegaMan. Its problem is that Capcom made way too many freaking sub-series and not just divided the fanbase but split them into multiple parts. I mean when it was just MegaMan and MegaMan X, it was fine since the 2 were drastically the same as X felt more like a fast paced and darker/mature version of MegaMan, and even classic MegaMan fans who may like the classic series know it and so it didn't affect neither sales that much. Then Legends came in to draw in a new audience and even a majority of the MM fanbase liked it not because it felt like a MM game (it really wasn't) it was just a very fun and high quality title (deserving of the MegaMan title). Then problems started to arise with BN and Zero, though BN attracted a huge fanbase and a new audience, a good portion of old MM fans weren't fans of it and some of the new people drawn in by BN didn't gain attached to the classic/X series either. Zero did drew in some BN fans who became fans of the MegaMan brand and even X fans...not so much classic fans but though Zero was pretty good in not only quality and even sales as well not every MM fan will like it and it really didn't draw in a very large new audience compared to BN. ZX and SF came in and those games suffered lower sales than their predecessors (not every BN fan liked SF and not every Zero fan liked ZX). At this point the only people who mainly bought MM games were just fans of the brand/name...like me. Realizing the newer games were failing...hard...and Capcom weren't sure if they can bring MM and MMX to next gen like Nintendo did Mario and Zelda or Sega did Soni....wait forget that I think Capcom is probably afraid bringing a more modern next gen MegaMan game to consoles will end up like how Sonic was.....for like 10 years. So they're only safe bet was a Legends 3 but I think they were playing it too safe putting it on the 3DS. I think another problem that lead to the decline of MM games sales was putting too much emphasis on the handhelds....literally reaching a smaller audience...I guess Capcom only tried to please the younger audience rather than reach everyone like Mario/Sonic did....or thought they could reach Pokemon sales or attract that kind of audience with BN/SF. I even think they were afraid that a MegaMan series not starring MegaMan..or anyone that didn't look him (Zero/ZX) wouldn't sell very well so they put it on the handhelds and at the time left console games to X and even had an outside time work on it with a smaller budget than their other MegaMan games. Since BN was a success for what it tried to do they thought bringing it to the next gen as Star Force...with stronger emphasis on 3D would work out but nope....sadly...I really liked Star Force. I even view Legends as Capcom being too afraid to bring MM to 3D (like Mario and Sonic) so they had to make a separate series for that so if it failed they would just go back to the 2D series or ensure fans that unlike Sonic/Mario, Legends is only there to be something new and that the old series (even X) would still be there for you t enjoy..or the same thin Itsuno said about DMC/DmC.

I'll talk about DMC later.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I still don't fully understand why people actually care that much about what the developers said. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it wasn't kinda disrespectful how NT got their opinions across, but, well, firstly it's only their opinion, and scondly it only matters what the game is like in the end.
It's just because it's more to b!tch about regarding DmC. How many people do you see dissing Kamiya even though he can be an asshole and has been doing it even longer? Besides, if NT responded to some angry comments with a comeback then I don't blame them. They're still people just doing their job. Yet fans act like they killed their dog or something and there's no denying the ridiculous side of the fanbase that does exist and also overreacted to a reboot to a very ridiculous extent.

Yea, the Devil May Cry fanbase is now pretty much up with the Sonic fans. At least Sonic fans never decided to send a petition to the White House. Way to one up in the fandumb. I'm sure that held up quite well for the initial perception of the fanbase.

Sunaka Marién

*chuckles* Yeah, THAT petition... :p
You're probably right, they were only searching for more things to complain about. I mean, I understand that they're angry about loosing a loved character to a reboot, but c'mon! Hating on the developers like that is just wrong :/
It's funny how I've spent quite some time in the Sonic fanbase without ever noticing the differences it has... until StH4EP1 was announced :blink: People are just so...so.. unbelievable at times (-_-);

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Yea, the Devil May Cry fanbase is now pretty much up with the Sonic fans. At least Sonic fans never decided to send a petition to the White House. Way to one up in the fandumb. I'm sure that held up quite well for the initial perception of the fanbase.
What have the Sonic fans done? I was only into those games during the Sega gamegear and Saturn generations, so I wouldn't know.

Sunaka Marién

What have the Sonic fans done? I was only into those games during the Sega gamegear and Saturn generations, so I wouldn't know.
Well, there are the retro fans that are incredebly, um, displeased with Sonic's re-design he got in Adventure, and seemingly make quite a fuss about it. They also don't like that it changed form 2D to 3D and how there are so many characters. They want Sonic to be only about Sonic and maybe Tails, I think :/

Top Bottom