• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Can DMC and DmC coexist? Defending both sides.

DMCGamer1989

In my opinion, yes, they can. Because they both have a large following and the developers can still learn from each other. I finished DmC on DMD and enjoyed myself, it was a fun game with many challenges and some brilliant storytelling, but in my opinion, it felt like Devil May Cry lite, as if the game was toned down heavily for casual gamers and that the combat system held your hand through most of it, but the secret mission, lost soul and checkpoint system was a major improvement over the original series. Sadly, as good as the storytelling was, I didn't enjoy the story as much as I thought I would, it's far too close to real life for my tastes, the charm of the original series, for me was it's devotion to surrealism, it served as an escape that you could lose yourself inside, especially now when there is so much to be stressed about. Now to compare the two Dantes, DmC Dante is realistic, he's a character you could imagine in the real world because of his design and attitude, his rough life and somewhat more grounded behavior reflects out current youth much better than the classic Dante, but DMC Dante is an almost completely surreal character that takes advantage of the fantasy environment in which he lives, he seemed lazy, cocky and irreverent in DMC4 because he had no real challenge anymore, he saw the whole job as a game, whereas DMC3 showed his rivalry with Vergil and DMC1 showed his will to avenge his family and the image of his mother still having a profound effect on him, motivations he lacked during DMC4.

Now people complain about the plot of the classic series, but in my opinion, it told an interesting story that should have been explained further and developed better, it always showed the strength of humanity. Dante's humanity played a big role in his character in DMC1, Dante got Trish to wake up to humanity, In DMC3, Dante tried to stay human to the very end and he was at odds with Vergil because of his differing views on strength and he saw that Vergil, despite valuing his demonic side, had honor and that Arkham, despite being born human, was evil, and then there was Lady, who helped Dante come to terms with his demonic side. Nero and Dante also highlighted the value of humanity in DMC4, Dante made it a point to tell Agnus that the human will allows them to surpass demons and Nero told Sanctus that having Sparda's powers meant nothing since he didn't have the heart that Sparda had. DmC told a good story, but other than Kat's interactions with Dante, the value of humanity was not as prominent as it was in the classic series.

As a fanbase, I feel that we've made it a point to demonize the classic DMC's story and criticize it without trying to enjoy it for what it is. DmC's plot has better storytelling and little room for plot holes, as well as well developed characters, but all that is to waste if the plot itself isn't as amazing as it's advertised. In my opinion, Classic Dante was appealing as a character because he wasn't realistic or relatable, he was a fun character meant to be enjoyed, not mentally dissected by the fans. DmC Dante is relatable, well developed and realistic, but lacks the fun factor Classic Dante had but is a great character in his own right.

I've noticed that people have been bashing Classic Dante allot lately and I don't think it's a good way to justify New Dante's character, they're both Dante, told in different perspectives, we should stop pitting fans against one another.

So I think we'll be getting both a DMC5 and a DmC2, but the question is, what are we getting first?

Well, Mega Man Battle Network is set in an alternate universe so I can't see why not. It will certainly make people on both sides happy. It would be nice if people and things could co-exist and get along.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Also agreeing. I would be happy to see fandom returning into normal and allowing fans of both games living in coexsistence rather flame wars and shards what not like to talk to each other one.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
That's a very nicely put post DMCGamer, even if I don't agree with everything about it. Good one.

The main problem with Classic DMC continuing are Capcom's claims that nobody originally involved in the series wants to continue it anymore (Mainly because they systematically drove away most of the series's creators), and Itsuno claims (publically at least) that he doesn't want to work on the Classic universe.

Unless a new team is constructed to continue the original series, it doesn't seem terribly likely. If Itsuno was made to help with that project then he'd have to pull double-duty on DmC as well, seeing as NT apparently can't be expected to make a combat system themselves.

I reckon if Itsuno pulled his thumb out and made DmC's gameplay more challenging with greater depth in future people wouldn't be quite as hostile to it, but it would still leave me to deal with Antonaides's writing, which I find intolerable.

TLDR; Classic DMC probably can't come back, DmC2 needs deeper gameplay and Neil Gaimen writing it.

vakarian23

Continuing both series might be unlikely but if they did, it would probably make a lot of people happy, including me.
I reckon if Itsuno pulled his thumb out and made DmC's gameplay more challenging with greater depth in future people wouldn't be quite as hostile to it, but it would still leave me to deal with Antonaides's writing, which I find intolerable.
I won't comment on your remark about DmC's writing since that is highly dependant on one's personal taste but you are absolutely right about the gameplay.

The gameplay is criticised by many and I have to agree, while it is certainly fun, it is nowhere near DMC3/4 - I mean, just watch a high-end combo video of one of those games, it's simply awe-inspiring.
In case they really plan on doing a sequel, I'm quite sure it would do so much better in terms of sales if they brought back the glory of the previous games' combat systems.

RhythmDemon

Half Demon
Great post :) I would love if they continued both series so the people who love new DmC can still enjoy it and people like me can just play the original series. Or maybe even both haha. Although I think this will never happen haha

Terrutas

I wonder,could it also be good from a profit point of view? I mean the fanbase is large enough,if they keep both series' going they could still make a profit,wouldn't they? (Capcom)

I wouldn't mind if they co-exist,although DmC is not a good game in my opinion,and i'll probably be playing the original series instead,It could still keep the series alive.

Also,they should've done that form the beginning. just like Megaman Battle Network.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I say: why not?

DMC5 can be developed by Platinum Games (creators of DMC1) if they want to develop it. DmC2 can just be made as a sequel to DmC by Ninja Theory. Seems fine to me. More money for Capcom and Ninja Theory, and more pleased fans of the Devil May Cry series. I don't see the downside, aside from needing funds and other resources to create DMC5. Resources that can be split between Capcom and Platinum Games.

Terrutas

I say: why not?

DMC5 can be developed by Platinum Games (creators of DMC1) if they want to develop it. DmC2 can just be made as a sequel to DmC by Ninja Theory. Seems fine to me. More money for Capcom and Ninja Theory, and more pleased fans of the Devil May Cry series. I don't see the downside, aside from needing funds and other resources to create DMC5. Resources that can be split between Capcom and Platinum Games.
I don't think Capcom will hire the company that split away from them and took most of their best talent.
Remember,Pride above all. :)

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I don't think Capcom will hire the company that split away from them and took most of their best talent.
Remember,Pride above all. :)

True, sadly. I would say use SCE Santa Monica Studio, creators of God of War, but they only work on Playstation titles :(
They could also ask Vigil Games, creators of Darksiders I and II, but they're no longer in business.

vakarian23

Well, I doubt Capcom could get SCE Santa Monica Studio to work on a future DMC but that would be awesome. Wouldn't mind an exclusive title.

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
I think the idea of a split franchise where both fanbases can coexist nicely with their own series sounds really nice, but also realistically improbable. I think that if a DMC5 came out, it'd only give more reason for many fans of the classic series to turn hostile against fans of DmC, showing off how their game is superior and only worthy of true hardcore players and all that jazz. If a DmC 2 came out simultaneously it'd also give fans of DmC fodder against the classic fans by showing off their game in their own way, overplaying all the things it improved that the original series stubbornly left unchanged. Overall, a split franchise would spell more trouble than solution, and would incite more war than ever. It's a whole different scenario than with Megaman with all its different incarnations, after all. Unlike Megaman's spin-off series, DmC was meant to take over the original and succeed it. That intention alone is the real reason why it sprung so much hatre (and support) and split up the whole fanbase for the worse.

Then there's also the issue with money. We all know Capcom only listens to money and money alone. If DmC was any indicator, DmC 2, if it ever exists, wouldn't be a very successful product either. But I think neither a DMC5 would be. DMC4 did very well, sure, but then take a look at the sale numbers that Bayonetta left behind just a year later, or better yet, Anarchy Reigns, which just came last month. It tells me one thing: hardcore action games are a very niche genre and are simply very profitable anymore. And for Capcom, who values revenue over anything, that only turns the genre into a no-go zone. Specially if they'd have to fund the development of not one but both games. Twice the expense, but without half the gain.

All this paints a very bad panorama for the franchise. It makes me think that Devil May Cry was never destined to have a great future at all. With a good first game that aged poorly, a mediocre and disappointing second game, a highly acclaimed third game, a mixedly-recieved fourth game and a fifth reboot game that provoked one of the biggest controversies in gaming, one can only see that DMC was never really up there with the big name franchises. It thrived, but with inestability. At this point, I don't know what to expect in the future, but if Capcom decides to make one more entry, whether DMC or DmC, it might very well be the last.

AlchemistFromEden

if capcom had unlimited money to make two high budget entries of the same series(seriously do you people know how much this stuff cost) then yes but since capcom does not have unlimited revenue they have to make a choice

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
if capcom had unlimited money to make two high budget entries of the same series(seriously do you people know how much this stuff cost) then yes but since capcom does not have unlimited revenue they have to make a choice

No one here is ignoring the money issue, Alchemist. Of course we know a high-profile video game costs a fortune. We're taking it into account, but also simply hypothetically theorizing what would happen if both games could be made.

scionicspectre

Yeah, I think people underestimate just how much friction there is against continuing the original series from a multitude of perspectives that have nothing to do with the fans or what people will buy. If you analyze the situation without bias and compare it to other series that face similar difficulties, and keep in mind the fact that the demands of modern games when it comes to story and continuity are much higher, I think you'll find it's not very likely the original series will continue in any meaningful way.

Just because there were things supposedly left to be resolved in the story doesn't mean they should make a crappy game just to give you closure. To me, the ending of DMC 4 was closure enough.

berto

I Saw the Devil
It is a noble thought but the reality is that unlike the Megaman frachise that had 3 to 4 different versons at any one time DMC is a multi million project, sustaining both at the same time would be a grea expence that might too high a risk for Capcom to undertake. The best we can hope for would be getting one from one then one from the other years later. It'd take years to get a sequel to ether one and by then they'll provably have another reboot or take and then we'd have even longer to wait...

Really now, the ball is on Capcom's side, it'll bup to the to see this through and decide how this will proceed. It might be the end of one, the other or both. We should keep in mind the possibility that this might not have a happy ending.

Were there the possibility of both I'd welcome it but that might not be an option.

Dominus

It is a noble thought but the reality is that unlike the Megaman frachise that had 3 to 4 different versons at any one time DMC is a multi million project, sustaining both at the same time would be a grea expence that might too high a risk for Capcom to undertake. The best we can hope for would be getting one from one then one from the other years later. It'd take years to get a sequel to ether one and by then they'll provably have another reboot or take and then we'd have even longer to wait...

Really now, the ball is on Capcom's side, it'll bup to the to see this through and decide how this will proceed. It might be the end of one, the other or both. We should keep in mind the possibility that this might not have a happy ending.

Were there the possibility of both I'd welcome it but that might not be an option.
Yup this right here. People fail to realize all those MM games that came out were when development costs weren't through the roof (let alone on hand held consoles as well). The only way this could be accomplished if DMC games sold COD numbers but they don't...

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium

So I'm guessing Capcom has no where near the same amount of money as company's like Squire Enix and Konami right?

Top Bottom