• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Can DMC and DmC coexist? Defending both sides.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Hahaha thats hilarious. where is this taking place? They sound like they're from L.A.

That's what I thought, as well. However, I first saw this years ago, on some other site. Ebaumsworld, I think it was (this was a good two years before youtube, lol... wow, has it been that long??).

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Awwww.... but it's so much fun doing the opposite. :troll:
I think I'm the same online and real life (I mean this is my own opinion of me buuut...):p I don't go out of my way to **** people off (well, I hope I don't)>_< And I like a good debate whenever, but never to the point of angering someone.

Umm, anyway. DMC and DmC coexisting? Have we said everything about that? Anyone want to add more?

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
i curse somewhat frequently, yet i take AP level creative writing and writing analysis classes, anyone who has ever read on writing well knows that swearing is not at all a factor in the quality of a novel, game, or movies writing, ESPECIALLY if you are gonna pretend like you know how to critique something, which i do on a daily basis in my classes

Hey, Alchemist, as a fellow animation and digital arts college student who also takes classes on narrative and all related to animation, cinema and video game development, cut it out. All that so called knowledge you claim to posses is worth naught if your argumentation skills are dreadfully poor like this. It's like if I was a medicine student and someone asked why I think taking x medicine is bad my only response was "because I'm a medicine student and I know more than you", without giving any sort of elaboration. If you really have any knowledge, you have failed badly to prove it, because so far all your arguements are based on personal bias and your irrationally passional point of view.

That kind of attitude of yours is what makes people like M. Night Shyamalan (and maybe Tameem himself) be the arrogant, self-absorbed and "I know better than them, they don't understand anything" so called artists that end in infamy in the entertainment industry and become unhirable. So get some common sense already and stop giving us animation students a bad image. One does not need an imaginary credential to criticize anything in particular, or else no one but politicians would be allowed to criticize government in any way. Video games are aimed at an audience who pay for it, so the audience has all the right to criticize the product all they want. Sometimes they'll be irrational and dumb, but you'd be surprised to find out sometimes a single well-thought opinion from a consumer is worth a lot more than a hundred biased opinions of so called "critics".

Get accostumed to this, because if one day you end up heading the development of a hight-profile game, your product will be criticized one way or another and you'll have to learn how to take it. The way you behave like now makes me think you'd not do a good job at it at all.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I liked the kitsch until it got to 4, by then some of it was too much for me. I'll take bad natured over the 'hell gate sex' description any day. >_< Awkward....

i really liked 4's irreverent side, but mostly because it's attempts at legitimate drama were dreadful, though it's true they didn't provide an adequate contrast. 3 managed to pull of a young woman gunning her father to death and weeping uncontrollably as a scene with legitimate gravitas, while in the next gameplay section you can thrash a gigantic satanic tumour to death with a lightning-bat-guitar solo. Interplay between drama and bathos is one of the oldest forms of story telling dating back to the amphitheatres, but 4 was horrifically lopsided in it's delivery of that concept.

At least it delivered Shakespearean acting.

That's the idea. The guy has no verbal control switch at the start. He got dumped in an unstable envieronment where that kind of language was the norm. It's rubbed off on him. Okay, this is speculation, but it would make sense. It has been proven in the story that he has been to prison, plus demon child care homes and youth detention. Thos places are full of cussing.

Yeah, and I'd have loved to actually play a sequence which explores that element of his backstory, because it would be genuinely interesting, full of artistic potential and would make him a great deal more sympathetic. Just stating that a character has had bad life and that it justifies him acting in an abrasive, shallow way isn't enough unless you either show, don't tell (Heh, learnt that one in community college), or have him demonstrate enough positive character traits that we can look beyond his flaws to his better nature.

Ironically a character that demonstrates this characterization really well is Deadpool.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/pho...t-appearance-ever-random-27943468-469-713.jpg

When Deadpool was first introduced he was much like most Rob Liefeld characters: Overly grim, his attempts at wit were pathetic, and his character design was little more than a shameless amalgamation of two well established comic book characters (Deathstroke and Wolverine). He was a product of the Dark Age of Comics, when everyone thought you had to be obnoxiously Dark and Edgy to be cool and popular instead of the light hearted escapism classic comics offered. Deadpool's past was a harsher and darker one than those of the character he was ripped off from, and every word out of his mouth was either exposition or spiteful insults. People quickly tired of him along with the shallow ugliness of the Dark Age, and he was thrown to the wayside.

Years later, new authors seized on him for reinvention. They took an ugly, vapid character and made him an irreverant livewire with a fast mouth, swinging from one mad adventure to the next. We got a greater insight into time he was abused by the government, but in such a way that amplified his light-hearted moments by contrast. He retained his sadistic side, but gained a wider cornucopia of emotions to explore. Though dramatic and terrible events often threatened his light hearted nature, and the darkness of his past threatened to swallow him, he'd cut free with manic glee and fought through to the other side, all the while making silly jokes. Put simply, they made him into what Spiderman used to be, because people like silly heroes going on silly adventures.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xf1KPssmdcE/TPFv1dG356I/AAAAAAAADpM/WxFk3J4dvpA/s1600/deadpool+t+ray.jpg

...so to put it another way, Dante and Deadpool's histories are like distorted reflections of eachother. I can't tell you how gleeful I was when they squared off in MvC3. :)

.I'm a female, and even though Dante's male, and some would say females would be unable to relate to him- I do. Okay, this is personal opinion, but you get the idea. ^_^ Not every player is insulted, some are amused by him, some indifferent. There's a whole spectrum of reactions players can have to this new Dante.

I don't deny that, and I don't believe in the idea of a gender-barrier prohibiting people from relating with characters of the opposite gender. Hell, my missus adores Solid Snake, and he's about as Alpha as you can possibly be while living in a single-gender common law relationship with an adopted child.

Yet leaving how we each react to the character in a particular way, you have to admit that elements New Dante's characterization undermines him. He's meant to be a bum at the bottom rung of society, scraping to get by, yet we see no evidence that he is gainfully employed or has an income of his own, so we as mature players are disconnected from him seeing as we lack that common ground. He's supposed to be living in poverty, but we see him hitting up the most exclusive nightclub in town, hammering drinks and then sleeping with three women at a time. That's not how I envision a desperate upstart kicked to the ground by society and hatefully looking up at the opulence of the wealthy; he is living the same lifestyle as they are, without care for money and concerned only with self-gratification. He isn't humanised or made to be like us in any meaningful tragic way; and that's a massive problem for a character who isn't even human yet we are supposed to identify with him.

Classic Dante was obnoxious and willful, but at least he was admirable. The guy was self-employed at the age of nineteen for God's sake. He's an aspirational hero; we wish we could give as little of a crap as he does. We wish we could do the impossible just as he does. We wish we could bravely fight on behalf of those we don't know. To him the impossible is something he does as a lifestyle choice, but to him it's just so much fun.

To New Dante the impossible is a mild frustration to be put up with. He isn't wowed by the incredible things he does, so by proxy neither are we. Our avatar doesn't give a crap about anything but revenge and that one girl he knows maybe. Why should we?

Careful, that could be taken as a statement of intent

Ridiculous, Raifu is a nonsense word I just made up, and has nothing to do with the paramilitary contingencies I have taken in the event that XIII-IV gets announced.

Alright, I'm going to try to escape my keyboard. Here's something for those willing to read my garbage.

SolidSnakeKitten_zps0b124f8f.gif

AlchemistFromEden

I think I'm the same online and real life (I mean this is my own opinion of me buuut...):p I don't go out of my way to **** people off (well, I hope I don't)>_< And I like a good debate whenever, but never to the point of angering someone.

Umm, anyway. DMC and DmC coexisting? Have we said everything about that? Anyone want to add more?
nope, its just two pseudo intellectuals talking to themselves at this point, now where is that **** this i'm out gif

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It's hilarious how people bring up Bayonetta's and DMC4's over the top scenes (Bayonetta acting sexy and Dante being the Shakespearean actor) and take those scenes so seriously.

Those scenes are supposed to be terrible and ridiculous. Why the heck would Dante actually be serious in his acting and such? The whole game is facetious in most cutscenes, yet that one is supposed to be serious? Come on, you can't be that ignorant. It'd be a lot weirder to me if Bayonetta actually tried to be sexy just for the sake of it.

It's supposed to be that hilariously bad. Probably a form of humor the Japanese use more than us.

Terrutas

It's hilarious how people bring up Bayonetta's and DMC4's over the top scenes (Bayonetta acting sexy and Dante being the Shakespearean actor) and take those scenes so seriously.

Those scenes are supposed to be terrible and ridiculous. Why the heck would Dante actually be serious in his acting and such? The whole game is facetious in most cutscenes, yet that one is supposed to be serious? Come on, you can't be that ignorant. It'd be a lot weirder to me if Bayonetta actually tried to be sexy just for the sake of it.

It's supposed to be that hilariously bad. Probably a form of humor the Japanese use more than us.
She'd go around grabbing people's crotches and such. and dante would speak in middle-age english.

DMCGamer1989

I think that if they were to release a DMC, it would make allot of money, kinda like the new Coke strategy, but it might antagonize part of the fanbase.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I'm sure a lot more antagonizing is done beside DMC. We can't just discount the idea of them creating both DmC and Devil May Cry because ''Oh nooooo, it'll cause animosity!'' We should be able to handle that. Otherwise, just let people spew their hate online. Nobody cares anyway, unless it becomes a problem in real life, with protests on the street, fights and all that. Nobody goes ''Oh s*** we have to stop this'' if some people go online and talk **** on Facebook, here or wherever. Besides, I think there'd be a lot less of a problem if both DMCs existed. Sure, there might be some rivalry, but that should be fine.

No need to get so overprotective.

Top Bottom