• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Another review: 7,5/10, from insight-factor...

Frantix

But it's not the same, the stances system would still be there, L1 was not block in previous games, but I do feel that lock-on and block would benefit this game a lot more than auto-lock and the current parry system.

And actually they could keep the parry system, the way it works against bosses is pretty cool.

And I always thought the point was more of a narrative standpoint, I honestly don't think that Capcom went to Ninja Theory because of their previous work regarding gameplay. I mean, come on.

Yes, yes they did look at their previous games and thought they were capable of making a DMC game, and it looks like they have. Of course, this was about bringing a fresh take on the series, but also making a solid action game.

The control scheme you posted is a remixed version of the previous that make it more familiar, as opposed to innovation.

Gbraga

Yes, yes they did look at their previous games and thought they were capable of making a DMC game, and it looks like they have. Of course, this was about bringing a fresh take on the series, but also making a solid action game.

The control scheme you posted is a remixed version of the previous that make it more familiar, as opposed to innovation.
Getting rid of the style system and incorporating it into stances system is already very innovative, and innovation that works! The auto lock doesn't and makes the gameplay worse, it's not just different, it's worse.

The evade going back to how it was is just so we can have RG back, if they don't want to have block in the game at all they can keep their evade button, it's ok.

An actually useful Devil Trigger would also be nice.

AND PLEASE A TRACKING TELEPORT!! They can even remove the snatch thing if they want, the teleport is just so much cooler.

Dante Deve Morire

Trapped in Limbo
I read yesterday that review in an Italian forum ... I haven't posted here because it's so useless, my dog could do better...

58754211212.gif

ChaserTech

Getting rid of the style system and incorporating it into stances system is already very innovative, and innovation that works! The auto lock doesn't and makes the gameplay worse, it's not just different, it's worse.

Speaking of auto lock, I hate how the camera needs to see the enemy/target so the lock on system works properly.
It's kinda stupid. Tedious and stupid.

The evade going back to how it was is just so we can have RG back, if they don't want to have block in the game at all they can keep their evade button, it's ok.

The fact that Nero had Table Hopper with Lock On proves that RG could work with the dodge system.
Although, it's too much to have since you'll have three different evades as well as a block/release system.

An actually useful Devil Trigger would also be nice.

D.T. is more useful than you think.

In fact, it's pretty OP imo. Enemies become immobilized in the air, giving you a free chance to kill them. As well as this, you also have damage boosts, and I think speed boosts as well (not sure honestly).
And it gains health just like the previous games.

GF9000000Returns

Good review, however there was just one problem I had with what the reviewer said about the plot when he said it had "too much sex reference". Are you SERIOUS? DMC4 had immense sexual references too and nobody complained about that.

Whatever..overall it was good review.

ChaserTech

Good review, however there was just one problem I had with what the reviewer said about the plot when he said it had "too much sex reference". Are you SERIOUS? DMC4 had immense sexual references too and nobody complained about that..

Considering the fact that the reviewer played DmC (pretty sure the actual game) he/she probably experienced more of the story than what we've seen so far. Including experiencing a lot more sexual cut-scenes.

Also, I can only recall 5 incidences where DMC4 is deemed "sexual".

1) The fight scene with Gloria (Trish) when she meets Nero.
2) Dante reciting the progression of sex while using Lucifer to destroy Berial's Hellgate
3) Nero meeting Bael Succubus' lures.
4) Dante meeting Dagon Succubus' lures.
5) The scene where Dante, Trish, and Lady are talking, showing some cleavage shots (although pretty tame).

Seeing how the game doesn't constantly actually revolve around sexual references, I believe you are kinda taking it too far.
DmC raises the bar already since it's considerably more "adult rated" than the previous games. And we haven't even seen everything yet.

ninjaa93

regardless of reviews i think DmC will still be very over looked considering 2013 line up that people(the media) actually give a crap about.by the end of the year when vga's come around GOW Ascension wins best hack and slash even tho nobody is even ranking that game MGR or DmC level i feel like GOW has had one foot ahead by working on online because online can be pimped forever.

The reason its important to have a technical combat system despite people saying things like "it doesn't matter as long as its fun." Thats what devil may cry has always had that keep it ahead, you can play casual for years then go back and be pro which opens up all new discovers. no matter how fun it is if its to simple or doesnt have any extra mode its back in the store in the used section within a couple months or less.

I don't really get bothered by worrying or "nitpicking" because the little things make a big different think about the fighting game community the demands patches for broken moves, frames whatever.It would so after all this time waiting to get a not so impressive game.

think gta4 good game good review but arguably not better then the predecessor even dmc4 for that matter.

Gbraga

Speaking of auto lock, I hate how the camera needs to see the enemy/target so the lock on system works properly.
It's kinda stupid. Tedious and stupid.

The fact that Nero had Table Hopper with Lock On proves that RG could work with the dodge system.
Although, it's too much to have since you'll have three different evades as well as a block/release system.

D.T. is more useful than you think.

In fact, it's pretty OP imo. Enemies become immobilized in the air, giving you a free chance to kill them. As well as this, you also have damage boosts, and I think speed boosts as well (not sure honestly).
And it gains health just like the previous games.
Useful was the wrong word, I should've used fun really. The only good thing about this Devil Trigger when it comes to stylish play is removing the color-coded bullshit.

And I agree about the camera, it's pretty stupid that you're not able to lift yourself to the glowing target even though you know exactly where it is just because your camera isn't facing it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
And I agree about the camera, it's pretty stupid that you're not able to lift yourself to the glowing target even though you know exactly where it is just because your camera isn't facing it.

O_____________________o I've done that...I do that all the time...that's really weird...

ChaserTech

O_____________________o I've done that...I do that all the time...that's really weird...

Yeah I never managed to grab any targets unless my camera sees it as well. That's seriously main problem of auto lock on. I've had enemies below me while executing Demon Pull/Angel Lift and I was not able to grab them simply because the camera doesn't see them.

I even had enemies that were right in front of me while comboing in the air, yet Dante didn't grab them with Ophion Whip at all.

Even with hard lock-on, no matter where the enemy was in relation to the camera you could ALWAYS lock on to them. You only wouldn't be able to lock onto them at a certain distance.

Gbraga

Really? Could you record a video? Because if that's some sort of glitch they need to patch it RIGHT NOW, because there are TONS of people with this problem.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah I never managed to grab any targets unless my camera sees it as well. That's seriously main problem of auto lock on. I've had enemies below me while executing Demon Pull/Angel Lift and I was not able to grab them simply because the camera doesn't see them.

I even had enemies that were right in front of me while comboing in the air, yet Dante didn't grab them with Ophion Whip at all.

Even with hard lock-on, no matter where the enemy was in relation to the camera you could ALWAYS lock on to them. You only wouldn't be able to lock onto them at a certain distance.

That is so weird!

Really? Could you record a video? Because if that's some sort of glitch they need to patch it RIGHT NOW, because there are TONS of people with this problem.

I have no way of recording it. I don't have capture equipment, nor the money for it. The only thing I have is a webcam but I couldn't get any visible footage the one time I tried to record something >_<

LeoXCV

Single life for life
But the animators that made it all would be heart broken if you did all this without looking.

TyIquan_DmC

That is so weird!

I have no way of recording it. I don't have capture equipment, nor the money for it. The only thing I have is a webcam but I couldn't get any visible footage the one time I tried to record something >_<

I agree. I also grab ledges and enemies I don't actually see at all.

Though to be fair, sometimes I find that I do have to actually target with the camera. I think it's if you're trying to grab onto a ledge or camera while there are still enemies around, you'll probably have to remove them from the vicinity since they become Dante's focus if they're too close.

TyIquan_DmC

It could happen with hard lock-on, but you would be able to tell what you're targeting and correct it, you only find out after you use the lift in DmC, screwing your momentum. Sometimes it's a chore to beat the Shielded Pathos before you fight the Ravager, it's not rare to lift yourself towards the Ravager even though you were absolutely sure you were targeting the Pathos.

But you could just as easily shoot and change targets, just as you'd lock on and change targets.

I realize this is late, but I missed it earlier.

Paexie

Yeah, that's really strange because just like with TwoxAcross, I've pulled/lift from objects out of sight too. As long as Dante is facing it, that is.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, for me it's always been as long as I was overriding the subtle-lock with the left stick to point Dante at what I knew was there...

Maybe it's a bug in the demo...but then, who's got the bug...? The people who are able to do it, or the people who can't?! DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN~

majeh116

From what I gathered the plot is boring but the interaction between Dante and Vergil is well done and Dante gets good character development. I also gathered that Vergil's character doesn't fit due to being the only one with class. XD

Top Bottom