• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Another review: 7,5/10, from insight-factor...

LeoXCV

Single life for life
The guy seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to hack n' slash games and DMC in general. Makes for a very fair review compared to others.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I'd say that's about right.

An honest review is always good to hear. God forbid we get a 9/10 or people would say "Capcom paid you to give it that review."

Anyway, a nice review either way.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well getting off the "paid off" topic, I think it's a really fair review. I don't like a sh*t ton of 10/10 reviews because I know DmC is not a perfect game (Hell DMC3 wasn't a perfect game either) so I know it has to be around 7/10 or 8/10 sections.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
That was a decent review (hard to read, but decent >.<), but the guy seems to ding DmC on its graphics, which...is sorta silly. I know that DMC4 was really pretty and all, but these are still some decent current-gen graphics. It's not like you're looking at a PSX game :/ That's about the only really opinionated thing the guy said in the review, which I disagree with.

But what was it? A 7.5? That's pretty good, above average-and-a-half :p

Shodan

It is known that the "early" reviews not always reflect the final product.
I think, however, that the DMC will manage and fans will love him as much as the previous series.
If they only can do something else than hate. You have not played? Do not judge. Simple. :)

Gbraga

That was a decent review (hard to read, but decent >_<), but the guy seems to ding DmC on its graphics, which...is sorta silly. I know that DMC4 was really pretty and all, but these are still some decent current-gen graphics. It's not like you're looking at a PSX game :/ That's about the only really opinionated thing the guy said in the review, which I disagree with.

But what was it? A 7.5? That's pretty good, above average-and-a-half :p
I believe his angle is something like "if you're cutting the series' framerate by half, you better have graphics that put DMC4 to shame", which would make sense actually.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It is known that the "early" reviews not always reflect the final product.
I think, however, that the DMC will manage and fans will love him as much as the previous series.
If they only can do something else than hate. You have not played? Do not judge. Simple. :)

Press embargoes like that are a thing of the past. Companies doing that nowadays get into some serious sh*t when they try it, because no self-respecting journalist would adhere to a bullshit request like "unless your score is good, you need to hold off on your review." It's dangerous for companies to do that, because journalists immediately call them out on it - they might lost early review copies of that companies next game, but the company itself is now marred.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I believe his angle is something like "if you're cutting the series' framerate by half, you better have graphics that put DMC4 to shame", which would make sense actually.

Regardless, he didn't seem to acknowledge the reasons why it's locked at 30fps. Something had to give in order to create the effect NT wanted to in the game, and graphical quality in this game is still perfectly fine for this generation. The graphics aren't DMC4 quality, but in return I got a really cool, living, breathing, world trying to kill me. I'll gladly take something like that over pretty, static backgrounds.

Not to mention, I've had some pretty bad framerate dips in the 60fps DMC4 :/

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
So there is not mention of unlockables or really anything besides 1 walkthrough on probably the normal difficulty. I happen to think the enviornment looks a lot better than DMC4's graphics. It felt like walking through a painting without being able to turn ur head to look at anything (most of the time) And DmC doesn't just look good, it feels good, and it sounds good. I'd rather have an engrossing enviornment than a pretty picture.

Gbraga

Regardless, he didn't seem to acknowledge the reasons why it's locked at 30fps. Something had to give in order to create the effect NT wanted to in the game, and graphical quality in this game is still perfectly fine for this generation. The graphics aren't DMC4 quality, but in return I got a really cool, living, breathing, world trying to kill me. I'll gladly take something like that over pretty, static backgrounds.

Not to mention, I've had some pretty bad framerate dips in the 60fps DMC4 :/
What's living and breathing about scripted events and stages that take very long to harm you and you have a checkpoint a second before? The effect is cool, sure, but it's not as dynamic as people seem to believe.

The way I see it, it's not about moving backgrounds vs static backgrounds, but 30fps for a pretty background vs 60fps for a dull background. Gameplay should come first, specially in this genre.

But yeah, the graphics are pretty good and I see no reason to complain (besides the ashes in the Under Watch part and the general exagerated contrast), I believe it'll look specially amazing on the PC version since you can have Image Quality as good as you can run, which makes a ton of difference in games like this with a lot of stuff going on. Image Quality is the only thing that DmC loses to DMC4 when it comes to graphics, and seeing how some people think DMC4 looks better, it shows how important it is.

TyIquan_DmC

What's living and breathing about scripted events and stages that take very long to harm you and you have a checkpoint a second before? The effect is cool, sure, but it's not as dynamic as people seem to believe.

Hm...just wanted to comment on this. It doesn't actually take that long. It seems like it because the whole area is on a timer. I actually tried walking through these areas and pretty much got no where. Then I tried walking through part of the way and then picking up the pace, and I still ended up crushed.

I only tried because people were saying that you could take your time and get through unharmed. It gives you enough time to run through with a few missteps, but that's it.

I also believe that the game running at 30 makes it possible to have everything actually done in game, like cutscenes and such, which wasn't actually the case before...

Gbraga

Hm...just wanted to comment on this. It doesn't actually take that long. It seems like it because the whole area is on a timer. I actually tried walking through these areas and pretty much got no where. Then I tried walking through part of the way and then picking up the pace, and I still ended up crushed.

I only tried because people were saying that you could take your time and get through unharmed. It gives you enough time to run through with a few missteps, but that's it.

I also believe that the game running at 30 makes it possible to have everything actually done in game, like cutscenes and such, which wasn't actually the case before...
I should have said that when I mean "very long" it's very long compared to the impression the game tries to make, like you're running for your life, which is actually not the case. The escaping sequences are much more fun when you're running for your life with everything you have, even though you don't need to.

I also think that by being scripted they lose their charm for consecutive playthroughs.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

I don't remember talking about how dynamic it was, because it's not. Of course it's scripted, but it's still damn cool. And it really doesn't take very long before you get crushed or drop down a pit, and the time you're given to get through those areas goes down the higher the difficulty. Like Tylquan_DmC said, you cannot walk through those events and come out unscathed - you just won't make it.

Image Quality is the only thing that DmC loses to DMC4 when it comes to graphics, and seeing how some people think DMC4 looks better, it shows how important it is.

All that shows is there are a lot of graphics whores, really...the gaming community as a whole is full of them :/

Top Bottom