• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Another review: 7,5/10, from insight-factor...

Frazz

General gamer
So there is not mention of unlockables or really anything besides 1 walkthrough on probably the normal difficulty. I happen to think the enviornment looks a lot better than DMC4's graphics. It felt like walking through a painting without being able to turn ur head to look at anything (most of the time) And DmC doesn't just look good, it feels good, and it sounds good. I'd rather have an engrossing enviornment than a pretty picture.
This is exactly my thinking! DMC4 had good graphics but to be honest I never felt like I was in a jungle or a frozen wasteland whereas in DmC I feel like I am in this hostile environment.
What's living and breathing about scripted events and stages that take very long to harm you and you have a checkpoint a second before? The effect is cool, sure, but it's not as dynamic as people seem to believe.

The way I see it, it's not about moving backgrounds vs static backgrounds, but 30fps for a pretty background vs 60fps for a dull background. Gameplay should come first, specially in this genre.
The environment moving is not restricted to bits where the ground collapses when you play Underwatch the walls pulsate at certain bits and the black blood scales up the walls. Also the old duller backgrounds where beginning to wear thin as 4 games on and the environments have nothing particularly interesting to offer so the living world makes sense and it is to do with the story and explains the blocked exits. It was a necessary move to make.

Gbraga

How in the hell would you even make Limbo and Malice work if it wasn't scripted...?
I don't really know, but as I said, gameplay should come first. If they can't figure out a way to make it work without harming replays, they shouldn't put it in the game. I have the same opinion about the scripted events during the Poison boss fight, it shouldn't be there. I'm sure it'll be pretty cool to see the moving environments in my first playthrough, but when I'm playing it for the 3rd time I'll be already dragging myself through the platforming sequences.

The environment moving is not restricted to bits where the ground collapses when you play Underwatch the walls pulsate at certain bits and the black blood scales up the walls. Also the old duller backgrounds where beginning to wear thin as 4 games on and the environments have nothing particularly interesting to offer so the living world makes sense and it is to do with the story and explains the blocked exits. It was a necessary move to make.
They actually created that during the development of the game, it was not an early and core part of the story.

Frazz

General gamer
I don't really know, but as I said, gameplay should come first. If they can't figure out a way to make it work without harming replays, they shouldn't put it in the game. I have the same opinion about the scripted events during the Poison boss fight, it shouldn't be there. I'm sure it'll be pretty cool to see the moving environments in my first playthrough, but when I'm playing it for the 3rd time I'll be already dragging myself through the platforming sequences.
The gameplay isn't s**t! I know you did not say that but you are acting like there is no replay value in the game and that the combat is terrible which it isn't!! It doesn't matter if it is not quite as difficult as you remember as long as you have fun!

Frazz

General gamer
Also the platforming is not taking away from the experience or anything so there is no reason to believe that it will become cumbersome!

Gbraga

You mean like people drag themselves through the static environments in the classics? :p
The platforming was not as important as it is here, but yes, I HATE the platforming sequences in DMC3, and it wasn't as linear or as frequent..

The gameplay isn't s**t! I know you did not say that but you are acting like there is no replay value in the game and that the combat is terrible which it isn't!! It doesn't matter if it is not quite as difficult as you remember as long as you have fun!
But I know it isn't, I like it a lot actually, but it could be a lot better if not for some questionable decisions not even related to Ninja Theory's talent. They didn't need to be more talented to avoid the huge mistake it was to make those color-coded enemies, for example. Some things are just asking too much from them since it was their first gameplay focused title (they were always about the narrative before), and they actually got a LOT better since Enslaved and deserve to be recognized for that, but some decisions make no sense.

Gbraga

Also, **** YEAH to "no backtracking", seriously, they need to stop that. Backtracking is cool when you go back in an open environment to get collectibles or access previously unnaccessible areas, not PLAYING THROUGH THE WHOLE GAME AGAIN.

If DMC5 becomes a reality, please learn that Capcom.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I'm getting sick and tired of people saying ''the game's gameplay, story and so on suck, but if it's fun, who cares?!'' Most games are fun - that's like the first thing a game needs to do right. But if it's fun and nothing else, it's not a great video game.

'Fun' does not equal 'good'.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I'm getting sick and tired of people saying ''the game's gameplay, story and so on suck, but if it's fun, who cares?!'' Most games are fun - that's like the first thing a game needs to do right. But if it's fun and nothing else, it's not a great video game.

'Fun' does not equal 'good'.
Most games are fun? You must be delusional. No one has fun playing bad games and people have fun playing good games.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Most games are fun? You must be delusional. No one has fun playing bad games and people have fun playing good games.

Ehemm... Call of Duty? Fable III? Whatever that Minecraft s/h/i/t/ is?

Sadly, there are a lot of terrible games out there that people do think are fun. That's the problem with a lot of people these days; as long as the gameplay is decent, the game is considered 'fun'.

Gbraga

Like the Dahaka in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within?
It's been so long since I played that game that I honestly do not remember. I did just bought it again during the winter sale, so I'll soon know what you're talking about :)

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Oh, so only your opinion matters right now? Who are you to determine whether a game is fun or not for other people?

I didn't say which games are fun and which aren't. I've seen that mentality in other people, not myself.
If you are one of the exceptions to the rule, then good for you.

The fact is, Fable III, Call of Duty etc are pretty bad games, and yet they're considered fun by millions of people, which invalidates your comment. Or was nobody playing MW3 in your world? Sorry, that sounded a bit hostile. But you know what I mean.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I didn't say which games are fun and which aren't. I've seen that mentality in other people, not myself.
If you are one of the exceptions to the rule, then good for you.
Generally speaking, people don't have fun playing bad games. You saying that bad games are fun games is wrong on so many levels.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Generally speaking, people don't have fun playing bad games. You saying that bad games are fun games is wrong on so many levels.

I'm not saying bad games are fun games, I'm saying there are many bad games that people do actually love playing. You said there wouldn't be people who enjoyed playing bad games. Call of Duty, Fable III, Minecraft, Soul Calibur V, Resident Evil 6.

Top Bottom