• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Another review: 7,5/10, from insight-factor...

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Guess that really depends on the person playing. Or on their definition of "fun" :p

'Fun' is usually considered by many gamers to mean 'good, fun gameplay', which is why games like COD MW3 still do pretty well. Sometimes, people don't even see how shallow a game is. Fable III was inferior to Fable II in every respect, except for graphics, I suppose. And yet, people have fun playing the game. According to CheeseKao, it's not possible for people to like Fable III and other disappointing games, simply because they're bad games.

Gbraga

You know what would be great for DmC2? If they got rid of the dodge buttons and instead used L1 for block, R1 for lock-on and lock-on + side + A = evade. If that's considered off topic, I'm sorry!

Sunaka Marién

'Fun' is usually considered by many gamers to mean 'good, fun gameplay', which is why games like COD MW3 still do pretty well. Sometimes, people don't even see how shallow a game is. Fable III was inferior to Fable II in every respect, except for graphics, I suppose. And yet, people have fun playing the game. According to CheeseKao, people liking Fable III is not possible, simply because it's a bad game.
Hm, I can't say anything about Fable, since I never played any of those games (>.>);
I guess there are many things that factor into what someone sees as a "fun" game. Sure, most of the times it's gameplay, simply because that's what a game is essentially about. But that also depends on the gamer's experience, like, if they don't know any better, they might even consider a game's gameplay to be the best thing ever, even though it would be considered terrible by other people's standarts.
Maybe that's the case with many Fable III players? Maybe a lot of the people who enjoy it didn't play the second one, or are simply happy to get back into the world of Fable, and do not care so much for its gameplay or story or whatever else it is that makes it a bad game.
But yeah, I agree with you that good gameply doesn't nessesaryliy equal a good game. In a way. It really depends I guess (._.)

Frantix

You know what would be great for DmC2? If they got rid of the dodge buttons and instead used L1 for block, R1 for lock-on and lock-on + side + A = evade. If that's considered off topic, I'm sorry!

I'd rather them try to figure out ways to improve the current system in place, rather than give in and just copy the previous game's control scheme. If they did that, then what the hell is the point of trying something different in the first place.

Gbraga

I'd rather them try to figure out ways to improve the current system in place, rather than give in and just copy the previous game's control scheme. If they did that, then what the hell is the point of trying something different in the first place.
But it's not the same, the stances system would still be there, L1 was not block in previous games, but I do feel that lock-on and block would benefit this game a lot more than auto-lock and the current parry system.

And actually they could keep the parry system, the way it works against bosses is pretty cool.

And I always thought the point was more of a narrative standpoint, I honestly don't think that Capcom went to Ninja Theory because of their previous work regarding gameplay. I mean, come on.

Sunaka Marién

I really don't understand why most people seem to have a problem with the soft lock-on (>.>); idk, but it works better for me then the hard lock ever did, it just feels more natural (._.)

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I really don't understand why most people seem to have a problem with the soft lock-on (>.>); idk, but it works better for me then the hard lock ever did, it just feels more natural (._.)

I think my problem with it was that as soon as an enemy got close to me, Dante would automatically switch to attacking that one instead of the one I was attacking or looking at.

Gbraga

The targeting system is fine by itself, but my problem is more about what it brings with it than the targeting itself. Soft lock-on means fewer moves, means a dedicated launch button (limiting moves yet again), means crowd control focused gameplay instead of tight one on one action, it means HUGE hitboxes for basically every single move (reinforcing the crowd control aspect) to make sure you don't miss your swings because of the targeting system, it means you can't grab those damn pull points even when you know where they are if you don't have your camera towards it >_<

The targeting itself works, it's flawed, but not in a major way, you can control where you hit.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Just letting you guys know that DmC got an 89 from Game Master according to CVG. Boss fights were the only complaint.

I see. Well, Gamesmaster or Game Master, whatever it's called, seems to be related to Edge Magazine, which is actually pretty good (they have nice reviews). So now I'm intrigued what's so good about DmC. Do they say anything about that? :p

Sunaka Marién

I think my problem with it was that as soon as an enemy got close to me, Dante would automatically switch to attacking that one instead of the one I was attacking or looking at.
Hmm, I guess it depends on your gameplay style then, since if an enemy jumped right infront of me, I'd usually rather attack that one then the one I attacked before :p Though, I don't remember what you discrbed happening to me, I never had a problem attacking the enemy I wanted to attack... but then again it's been a while since I last played the demo (._.)

The targeting system is fine by itself, but my problem is more about what it brings with it than the targeting itself. Soft lock-on means fewer moves, means a dedicated launch button (limiting moves yet again), means crowd control focused gameplay instead of tight one on one action, it means HUGE hitboxes for basically every single move (reinforcing the crowd control aspect) to make sure you don't miss your swings because of the targeting system, it means you can't grab those damn pull points even when you know where they are if you don't have your camera towards it >_<

The targeting itself works, it's flawed, but not in a major way, you can control where you hit.
I guess I've been playing DMC the wrong way all those years then, since I always tried to hit as many enemies at the same time as possible, and would have been grateful for some more crowd control based weapons xD
I don't really know what those hitboxes are everyone's talking about though, is that, like, the spots where you can hit an enemy?
And yeah, the pull points grabbing really is a little annoying >.<

ChaserTech

Hmm, I guess it depends on your gameplay style then, since if an enemy jumped right infront of me, I'd usually rather attack that one then the one I attacked before :p Though, I don't remember what you discrbed happening to me, I never had a problem attacking the enemy I wanted to attack... but then again it's been a while since I last played the demo (._.)

I've had problems with the soft lock on constantly.

For example, if I'm fighting a group of enemies and I want to single out one (like the chainsaw guy for example) I would end up grabbing one of the lesser demons just because it was in the same general area with Demon Pull.
Even with Charged Shots (a really bad move imo) I tend to target an enemy I don't want to hit at all.

Soft Lock-On wasn't implemented that well. It is decent, but not nearly as good in hard Lock-Ons. If you want to single out a specific enemy, then most likely you'll need to wait until that particular demon manages to splits away from the group, (which is wasting time) or hope and pray you grab the right enemy.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot

I guess I've been playing DMC the wrong way all those years then, since I always tried to hit as many enemies at the same time as possible, and would have been grateful for some more crowd control based weapons xD
The point in DMC was always to perform combos as extensive and cool (stylish) as possible. That's a bit harder to do when you're forced to attack crowds of enemies, unless you use crowd control attacks all the time.

Sunaka Marién

I've had problems with the soft lock on constantly.

For example, if I'm fighting a group of enemies and I want to single out one (like the chainsaw guy for example) I would end up grabbing one of the lesser demons just because it was in the same general area with Demon Pull.
Even with Charged Shots (a really bad move imo) I tend to target an enemy I don't want to hit at all.

Soft Lock-On wasn't implemented that well. It is decent, but not nearly as good in hard Lock-Ons. If you want to single out a specific enemy, then most likely you'll need to wait until that particular demon manages to splits away from the group, (which is wasting time) or hope and pray you grab the right enemy.
Weird, I never experienced any problems with that... it did require working with the camera stick quite a bit, if I remember correctly, and I kinda see how this might destroy the flow af the combat a bit, which is probably much more important to you then it is to me, since you're a much more advanced player (._.)
Gotta aggree on the chraged shots though, they're pretty much impossible to aim properly :/

Gbraga

I don't really know what those hitboxes are everyone's talking about though, is that, like, the spots where you can hit an enemy?
And yeah, the pull points grabbing really is a little annoying >_<
Hitboxes are a quite literal concept, they're invisible boxes that surround each move that determine how far the move reaches. It reaches WAY farther than it should when you look at the motion and the weapon. Sometimes you can use high time and launch an enemy even when your sword doesn't even touch them. It's that big.

TyIquan_DmC

Weird. As long as I point the stick in the direction of the enemy I want to hit, I'll hit it. The ONLY time I have a problem with the lock on is when I get to the second combat area on SoS mode, and I try to angel lift to the cherub and bypass the ravagers. Sometimes I'll target them, but that could full well happen with a hard lock too.

Gbraga

Weird. As long as I point the stick in the direction of the enemy I want to hit, I'll hit it. The ONLY time I have a problem with the lock on is when I get to the second combat area on SoS mode, and I try to angel lift to the cherub and bypass the ravagers. Sometimes I'll target them, but that could full well happen with a hard lock too.
It could happen with hard lock-on, but you would be able to tell what you're targeting and correct it, you only find out after you use the lift in DmC, screwing your momentum. Sometimes it's a chore to beat the Shielded Pathos before you fight the Ravager, it's not rare to lift yourself towards the Ravager even though you were absolutely sure you were targeting the Pathos.

Sunaka Marién

Hitboxes are a quite literal concept, they're invisible boxes that surround each move that determine how far the move reaches. It reaches WAY farther than it should when you look at the motion and the weapon. Sometimes you can use high time and launch an enemy even when your sword doesn't even touch them. It's that big.
Ah, I think I saw that in a video once, using that one Osiris attack... Yeah, they sould deffinitely make those hitboxes smaller, guess it'd also make the game a bit harder, which would really do it some good.

@Lionheart: True. Didn't think of that, sorry >.< Guess we'll just have to see it as a new "challange" :/

Top Bottom