• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A tweet from itsuno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It does make sense if they know the majority of the fans want it, and the sales of DmC were not what they expected (it didn't take a genius to realize that it wasn't gonna sell how you expected, Capcom...).
It is very likely at this point that they release DmC DE as a last stand for DmC and return to the old saga.
Now, for the old saga there are 2 possibilities: Capcom is gonna do like Ubisoft did with Prince of Persia (making another title of the old saga after abandoning the reboot, and then we'll never hear of Devil May Cry again), or they are gonna continue the classic series while it can produce money.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Making sense or not doesn't matter to Capcom, Capcom has no common sense, Capcom goes where the money is at and DmC is clearly not where the money is.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It does make sense if they know the majority of the fans want it, and the sales of DmC were not what they expected (it didn't take a genius to realize that it wasn't gonna sell how you expected, Capcom...).
It is very likely at this point that they release DmC DE as a last stand for DmC and return to the old saga.
Now, for the old saga there are 2 possibilities: Capcom is gonna do like Ubisoft did with Prince of Persia (making another title of the old saga after abandoning the reboot, and then we'll never hear of Devil May Cry again), or they are gonna continue the classic series while it can produce money.

Or they REALLY go Ubisoft and milk Devil May Cry to the bone.

Do I hear over-hyped rap song by Drake for the next Devil May Cry game commercial?

Viper

Premium
Or they REALLY go Ubisoft and milk Devil May Cry to the bone.

Do I hear over-hyped rap song by Drake for the next Devil May Cry game commercial?
*gasp* I'd like more installments, but if this is the price I'll open up a Hellgate in their office if they so much as dare doing that to poor DMC series. :eek:

pepodmc

It's a different situation:

1-
Assasins Creed is Ubisoft's "new" Prince of Persia.

Why would they make more Prince of Persia games if they have Assasins Creed selling a lot? Even with disasters like Assasins Creed Unity , AC franchise sell a lot. (and DmC sold less than DMC4--- 1.6m VS 2.9m)

2-
Capcom doesn't have another Franchise like Devil May Cry. (Sengoku Basara doesn't count, it's a musou type, and Onimusha is dead)

3-
How much did the last Prince of Persia sell? (DMC4 doesn't sell bad -- 2.9m)

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The Sands of Time trilogy concluded, and it was fantastic.

That was back when Ubisoft was actually a good company with potential and a bright future. Now Ubisoft used the bathroom after EA and caught something nasty from the seat.

F#CK. UBISOFT.

They are my most hated company. They are worst than EA.

It's a different situation:

1-
Assasins Creed is Ubisoft's "new" Prince of Persia.

Why would they make more Prince of Persia games if they have Assasins Creed selling a lot? Even with disasters like Assasins Creed Unity , AC franchise sell a lot. (and DmC sold less than DMC4--- 1.6m VS 2.9m)

2-
Capcom doesn't have another Franchise like Devil May Cry. (Sengoku Basara doesn't count, it's a musou type, and Onimusha is dead)

3-
How much did the last Prince of Persia sell? (DMC4 doesn't sell bad -- 2.9m)
This whole post is very arbitrary.

AssCreed isn't Prince of Persia. Nor does it take its place. Apples and Oranges.

Last edited by a moderator:

pepodmc

This whole post is very arbitrary.

AssCreed isn't Prince of Persia. Nor does it take its place. Apples and Oranges.

The gameplay its like an evolution of Prince of Persia if you think a little about it.

Yeah, it take its place (similar gameplay and it sells more) , but well, everyone has their own opinions I think.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The gameplay its like an evolution of Prince of Persia if you think a little about it.

Yeah, it take its place (it sells more) , but well, everyone has their own opinions I think.
It originally started as a PoP title, but besides an emphasis on some parkour, the similarities end there. The PoP games were known for being in depth action adventure games with a fast and furious combat system. Some of my favorite combat mechanics next to Devil May Cry.

Apples and oranges.

You might as well say Resident Evil takes Devil May Cry's place if sales numbers are your backing logic here.

pepodmc

It originally started as a PoP title, but besides an emphasis on some parkour, the similarities end there. The PoP games were known for being in depth action adventure games with a fast and furious combat system. Some of my favorite combat mechanics next to Devil May Cry.

Apples and oranges.

You might as well say Resident Evil takes Devil May Cry's place if sales numbers are your backing logic here.

Combat system of Prince of Persia games were really awful, a lot more if you make a comparison with devil may cry. (well, assasins Creed has a awful combat system too)

and Like I said, everyone has a different opinion about certain things.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Combat system of Prince of Persia games were really awful, a lot more if you make a comparison with devil may cry. (well, assasins Creed has a awful combat system too)

and Like I said, everyone has a different opinions about certain things.
Did you play PoP? The combat is fun as hell and well refined. Fast paced, slashing around multiple enemies, doing backflips off a wall and chopping them in half etc.

AssCreed is awful. That's just waiting for someone to attack and hitting the counter button. It's just a waiting game.

pepodmc

Did you play PoP? The combat is fun as hell and well refined. Fast paced, slashing around multiple enemies, doing backflips off a wall and chopping them in half etc.

AssCreed is awful. That's just waiting for someone to attack and hitting the counter button. It's just a waiting game.

I finish Prince of persia The Two thrones (in 2008 if im not mistaken) and after playing dmc3 in 2007, prince of persia was a big letdown in that aspect.

I see Assasins Creed like a prince of persia in another context and with some changes (Open world and more parkour)

both game has bad combat systems (at least for me) so that aspect doesnt make any difference really. And besides the ability to slow down time, the other thing that defines Prince of persia and make different from other games was the parkour. (at that time)

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I finish Prince of persia The Two thrones (in 2008 if im not mistaken) and after playing dmc3 in 2007, prince of persia was a big letdown in that aspect.

I see Assasins Creed like a prince of persia in another context and with some changes (Open world and more parkour)
You can't expect Prince of Persia to play like Devil May Cry. Again, these are two different games. I never said they were alike. For what Prince of Persia does though, it does well and was still fun.

If only Ubisoft would just stop being utter garbage we could possibly get another great PoP game.

pepodmc

You can't expect Prince of Persia to play like Devil May Cry. Again, these are two different games. I never said they were alike. For what Prince of Persia does though, it does well and was still fun.

If only Ubisoft would just stop being utter garbage we could possibly get another great PoP game.

Thats true :D. I never said they were alike, i was comparing the depth of their combat system only.

Did you play the last Pop? was it good?

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I'm quite amused how many DmC-haters are throwing up their hats in celebratory glee at Capcom's newfound "2 million-or-nothing" policy. If that policy is indeed in effect, do you realize what that means? EVERY series or one-shot attempt that isn't Resident Evil or Street Fighter is dead.

Sengoku Basara never sold 2 million. Dragon's Dogma never sold 2 million. Asura's Wrath never sold 2 million...and judging by how both the DMC: HD Collection and DmC sold, I'm fairly certain that the remastered editions aren't exactly going to fly off the shelves either.

People---REGARDLESS of where you stand on this DmC vs. DMC argument, DO NOT celebrate this pretentious, money-minded fallacy Capcom is deluding themselves into thinking is financial security. This benefits absolutely NO ONE.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
I'm quite amused how many DmC-haters are throwing up their hats in celebratory glee at Capcom's newfound "2 million-or-nothing" policy. If that policy is indeed in effect, do you realize what that means? EVERY series or one-shot attempt that isn't Resident Evil or Street Fighter is dead.

Sengoku Basara never sold 2 million. Dragon's Dogma never sold 2 million. Asura's Wrath never sold 2 million...and judging by how both the DMC: HD Collection and DmC sold, I'm fairly certain that the remastered editions aren't exactly going to fly off the shelves either.

People---REGARDLESS of where you stand on this DmC vs. DMC argument, DO NOT celebrate this pretentious, money-minded fallacy Capcom is deluding themselves into thinking is financial security. This benefits absolutely NO ONE.
capcom is a publisher first. If a game fails to make back the money invested into creating it, how is that evil or money grubbing of them to make it a policy not to fund another game from that studio?

The average salary for the typical AAA dev is a minimum of 100k. That's a minimum. Now take a studio of a few hundred developers (artists, designers, programmers, producers, the works) working for around 2 years, and you are paying them this entire time on the promise that after they're done, you won't be totally in the red because you funded them. Are you going to be pretty goddamn anal about how your money is being spent? Imagine your rage when that game makes less than half of what you spent to have it made, what would you do to that studio?

Capcom setting a strict "2 million or we stop doing business with you" policy is getting a lot of attention, but only because of the huge hate orgy surrounding DmC, and everyone latched onto this announcement as proof that DmC was so terrible it forced capcom into "drastic measures". But the truth is that usually when a publisher gets burned, they don't set a sales limit; they either give that studio less money for the same amount of work the next time around, or they demand the same quality, but in half the amount of time (which also works out to them giving the studio less money). This leads to underfunded and rushed pieces of **** games.

What capcom did here is actually a whole lot less terrible than what normally happens, but you guys are jumping up their assholes about it because you don't know what normally happens. Well now you've got a rough idea

TL;DR mandating a studio sell at least 2 million units is actually a whole lot better than forcing that same studio to do the same level of work for half the money or half the time. Have you ever seen a game series where one game of the series was pretty lame, and then suddenly the series went to yearly releases, every year becoming a little bit worse? Capcom could very easily hand DMC back to ninja theory and have the whole series converted into an assassin's creed tier yearly release. Instead they're taking away that studio's toys and maybe someone else can have a turn. But probably not them. Honestly it could be worse

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Capcom setting a strict "2 million or we stop doing business with you" policy is getting a lot of attention, but only because of the huge hate orgy surrounding DmC, and everyone latched onto this announcement as proof that DmC was so terrible it forced capcom into "drastic measures".
So, I voice my disappointment in the new policy because it cancels out just about any chances of a sequel/revival of just about ANY Capcom franchise I care about outside of DMC---Sengoku Basara, Asura's Wrath, etc, and you think the only reason I care is because of DmC?

Very observant, Stephen Hawking. Try doing us all a favor by reading the actual comment next time.

Besides, literally NO OTHER DEVELOPER creates games under such a strict and dogmatic policy. Look at Konami, who's kept pushing its Castlevania franchise even after the financial plummet of the Metroidvania games, and the colossal dives into post-first-entry oblivion that were Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2. And then, there's Nintendo, who secured the rights to make a sequel to Bayonetta, even after it had suffered the Curse of Platinum Games' Financial Disappointment. These are also the same people who assured fans that they would only cancel a franchise as niche and underground as Fire Emblem if its latest entry, Awakening, didn't sell at least 700,000 copies.

See, the difference between other companies and Capcom is that they have rational sales expectancy. Capcom has publicly admitted to seeking Halo-like sales numbers for Lost Planet, Call of Duty-like sales numbers for Resident Evil 6, and DmC, an honest-to-God REBOOT, to outsell EVERY PAST ENTRY in the series.

And it's not like Capcom doesn't have incentive to worry about making up costs in sales....because honestly, that's a problem they wouldn't encounter if they didn't completely overspend on their games. Just take a look at Resident Evil 6: the game took over $100 million dollars, and six hundred Capcom employees to make.

Capcom has all the financial rationality of a hyper-schizophrenic bank clerk consumed by his own corporate insanity and financial delusions...that's why they've found themselves in such dire financial woe as of late, hanging by their teeth to the outlandish of the Monster Hunter franchise in Japan, the baseless hype for Street Fighter V, and whatever loose smidgens of cash they can garner from remakes and releases like the upcoming Devil May Cry remasters.

Kam

Besides, literally NO OTHER DEVELOPER creates games under such a strict and dogmatic policy
aren't literally 2 pages of this very thread you and chancey having a circlejerk about how terrible ubisoft is for how it's handling assassin's creed? Pretty sure the yearly release treatment is worse, unless you're of the mind "even a ****ty game is better than no game", which I would disagree with. But that's just my opinion

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
So, I voice my disappointment in the new policy because it cancels out just about any chances of a sequel/revival of just about ANY Capcom franchise I care about outside of DMC---Sengoku Basara, Asura's Wrath, etc, and you think the only reason I care is because of DmC?
Except Asura's Wrath was one of a time thing, and Sengkou Basara gets new game this year, along with Dragon's Dogma. So it lefts DmC.

Reactions: Kam

Kam

Except Asura's Wrath was one of a time thing, and Sengkou Basara gets new game this year, along with Dragon's Dogma. So it lefts DmC.
also this. Everyone's whining about how this new policy is going to kill off literally every capcom game ever! except only two games actually fell under the 2million mark (DD and DmC) and even then, DmC (and DMC) are suddenly getting special editions.

Even if their stated policy was as draconian as advertised, it doesn't even look like they're that serious about holding to it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom