• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A kind word on how DMC5 does right what DMC4 did wrong

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
I'm really excited to see Dante in 5 because in 4 he seemed to lack any real investment or any emotion or character other than him being an unbeatable Chad. What I feel made Dante so great in 3 isn't the fact that he was unbeatable. It was that he FELT unbeatable. That way when you saw him lose against Vergil or tire against Beowulf or Arkham it had a real impact. 4 misses this point and gives us a Dante who's been essentially turned into a gag character. I do understand that Dante is not the focus in 4 but even with Nero we have no reason to feel invested in him. his goals before "save Kyrie" are vague at best. We don't know why he goes where he goes and although they tell us he's after Dante none of his actions appropriately reflect this. Since we have no investment in Nero and didn't even ask for a new character it's not hard to tell why he left a sour taste in people's mouths. In 5 however, they seem to be rectifying both these issues. They stripped the series down to its base elements and expanded upon while tying up loose ends left by other entries in the series. 5 is to me what 4 could have been. It's utilizing and evolving characters, passing the torch, and is giving us a reason to feel invested in Dante and Nero again.

Last edited:

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
I wholeheartedly agree. My issue with Dante in 4 is that he was never in any real danger (The anime suffered a similar problem). Everything was a breeze for him. I love stories that involve him actually having to try, with high stakes involved (Hence why 1 and 3 are my favorites). And it seems like we're finally getting that again in 5. Whoever this Urizen character is, he really is giving Dante a run for his money.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I wholeheartedly agree. My issue with Dante in 4 is that he was never in any real danger (The anime suffered a similar problem). Everything was a breeze for him. I love stories that involve him actually having to try, with high stakes involved (Hence why 1 and 3 are my favorites). And it seems like we're finally getting that again in 5. Whoever this Urizen character is, he really is giving Dante a run for his money.

Considering Urizen destroyed Rebellion, which has been a series mainstay since 2, I'd say it's pretty freaking important and I LOVE that Dante is actually in danger.

Is it bad that I get kind of a weird sort of catharsis from that? Seeing as I HATED him in 4...

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Wasn't that kinda the point though? Nero was the main character in 4, not Dante. And the difference in power was meant to show the difference between a rookie and a veteran. Nero could defeat Sanctus, Dante would have slaughtered him.
Now though, it looks like Dante might not be enough, and Nero's gonna have to seriously step up to fill-in his uncle's boots. (Least that's the direction I think the story's going)

Sean Gow

I keep seeing people post little things involving spoilers, I just saw something about Urizen and one of Dante’s weapons. This is from the leaks. Please can we post them behind a spoiler tag if you’re mentioning something that’s NOT from any of the officially released material?

Not being a nag, i just wanna experience this game as fully as possible without any of the story not being ruined.

Sorry guys :(

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Nero's origins are probably gonna be explored.

A demonic villain as the big bad.

Dante has an actual challenge versus the anime/4.

He might be doing some mentoring to V like what he did with Nero/Lucia. Granted how much or what kind is up in the air.

Vergil is in it somehow.

Lady and Trish have slighty more screentime. Trish seems to have a conversation with V so there's that.

Nico seems closer to Kat than Kyrie.

A more contemporary aesthetic.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I keep seeing people post little things involving spoilers, I just saw something about Urizen and one of Dante’s weapons. This is from the leaks. Please can we post them behind a spoiler tag if you’re mentioning something that’s NOT from any of the officially released material?

Not being a nag, i just wanna experience this game as fully as possible without any of the story not being ruined.

Sorry guys :(

It's not a leak, it was shown in the latest trailer.

Sean Gow

No
It's not a leak, it was shown in the latest trailer.
No way seriously??
I’ll have to watch it on a big screen, I’ve been away since the trailer and demo have been released! Never in my life have I wanted to come home from a holiday more wanted to cry when I saw that the demo was released and I couldn’t play it !!

Massive apologies on my behalf there Dreadnaught!
Fully agree though.

I like how the tried to humanise Dante in DmC but some people didn’t like it. I personally loved it, and I’m glad that DMC 5 is heading in the same direction.

Seeing the guy we’ve all grew up wanting to be, getting his ass handed to him instead of just being this god who never has to worry, it puts more pressure on the player and makes us care more about actually pulling off sick combos because there’s more weight behind it.

Have you played the demo?? What’s it like?? I’m dying to get home!!!!!

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
No

No way seriously??
I’ll have to watch it on a big screen, I’ve been away since the trailer and demo have been released! Never in my life have I wanted to come home from a holiday more wanted to cry when I saw that the demo was released and I couldn’t play it !!

Massive apologies on my behalf there Dreadnaught!
Fully agree though.

I like how the tried to humanise Dante in DmC but some people didn’t like it. I personally loved it, and I’m glad that DMC 5 is heading in the same direction.

Seeing the guy we’ve all grew up wanting to be, getting his ass handed to him instead of just being this god who never has to worry, it puts more pressure on the player and makes us care more about actually pulling off sick combos because there’s more weight behind it.

Have you played the demo?? What’s it like?? I’m dying to get home!!!!!

I have played the demo, and while it doesn't give you a lot to work with, it's a nice taste. There's a different dodge now, where if you dodge when an enemy attacks, Nero will sidestep instead of rolling and he can attack sooner.

There don't seem to be red orb statues, instead we have an enemy called a Red Empusa which is covered in Red Orbs and runs away, dropping orbs every time you hit them.

Nero can still use Wire Snatch even without any arms. You can both set your arm as a bomb, or use the Break Age attack to cycle between them.

Goliath is really hard, although that's mostly because his attacks don't seem to have big tells.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It's kind of how I've been feeling about this game. It feels like it's rectifying the story missteps of DMC4 and the gameplay screwups of DmC in one swoop.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
It definitely seems like they're putting more effort into exploring the world building of DMC - Goliath mentioning that he can't eat Nero because he needs his blood as a sacrifice to become the King of the Underworld was a mere throwaway line but it arose so much interest in me that the past four DMC narratives rarely did.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
what i appreciate most is the fact they brought back cerberus.. there's a feel of continuity there finally, and it comes from my fave installment of the original.

berto

I Saw the Devil
1545360261076.jpg

Du6CgkIU8AAC-eg.jpg

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Listen I know its fun to consistently **** on DMC4's story. It genuinely deserves but one should understand that the development for this game was a nightmare even on the writing department. The scenario writer Bingo Morihashi stated that the writing room was a mess as most of the writers weren't collaborating with each other and he even said it was hard to reach or contact some the writers. A lot of ideas and concepts were made but ultimately dropped due to it which ultimately caused Bingo to leave Capcom (only to return for DMC5). This mess could be the result of DMC4's slashed budget and rushed development as well. So under a lot of stress and pressure due to a disorganized work space you too would churn out a shoddy product. I mean Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, who wrote the script for Infinity War and Winter Soldier, 2 of Marvel's best movies also wrote Thor the Dark World and we all know that movie was also a developmental nightmare as well (losing like 2 directors during it).

Not justifying it but it seems here people seem to get a kick out of taking a dump on DMC4 and at time view it as reflective as the dev team's own incompetence).

what i appreciate most is the fact they brought back cerberus.. there's a feel of continuity there finally, and it comes from my fave installment of the original.

I feel this is a rather unfair and even erroneous statement to make. I mean DMC3's ending leads into DMC1 and explains how Dante becomes the man he is in DMC1. DMC4 had the Angelos who were made from the fragments of Nelo Angelo's armor. Also the fact in DMC1 it states that Sparda ruled over the human world for a bit until retiring which was explored how he did so in DMC4 as he was the feudal lord of Fortuna and even further developed Yamato's description in DMC1 as a weapon that can separate the human world and demon world even further in DMC4. As well as bring back returning enemies from DMC1 in DMC4 alluding to the fact Fortuna may have some connection to Mallet Island. Or the fact Blitz are supposed to be elite soldiers under Mundus...or Berial and oh that Berial is the son of Mundus or the fact Lucifer has the same symbols of Mundus.

But hey a weapon from an old game is back so I guess this is the first time the DMC series actually has continuity (sarcasm). However, I would say DMC5 is going even further into the continuity than before.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
I feel this is a rather unfair and even erroneous statement to make. I mean DMC3's ending leads into DMC1 and explains how Dante becomes the man he is in DMC1. DMC4 had the Angelos who were made from the fragments of Nelo Angelo's armor. Also the fact in DMC1 it states that Sparda ruled over the human world for a bit until retiring which was explored how he did so in DMC4 as he was the feudal lord of Fortuna and even further developed Yamato's description in DMC1 as a weapon that can separate the human world and demon world even further in DMC4. As well as bring back returning enemies from DMC1 in DMC4 alluding to the fact Fortuna may have some connection to Mallet Island. Or the fact Blitz are supposed to be elite soldiers under Mundus...or Berial and oh that Berial is the son of Mundus or the fact Lucifer has the same symbols of Mundus.

But hey a weapon from an old game is back so I guess this is the first time the DMC series actually has continuity (sarcasm). However, I would say DMC5 is going even further into the continuity than before.

hey i'll admit i'm not paying attention to those things you mentioned, even after knowing them, cerberus still feels more as a continuity to me.. they linger more , the DMC3 and the DMC3 weapons

Top Bottom