• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A kind word on how DMC5 does right what DMC4 did wrong

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
hey i'll admit i'm not paying attention to those things you mentioned, even after knowing them, cerberus still feels more as a continuity to me.. they linger more , the DMC3 and the DMC3 weapons

Yes a weapon that has no bearing or effect on the actual story is the most continuity driven thing this series had done.

At that point that is selective continuity.

You're not wrong since DMC4 has rebellion from 2 and the enemies 1 but barely anything from 3 outside of Lady.

Well DMC4 is a sequel to DMC1 so its bound to borrow more from that one and due to story reason enemies and bosses from DMC3 cant really carry over to DMC4's setting due to the fact most of those enemies are tied to Temen-Ni-Gru and thus wont be found so easily outside of it. Also I didn't know we were basing continuity on how well a sequel can recycle old ideas from previous installments.

Also DMC5 is the end of Itsuno's run and DMC as we know it so much likely they are going to go all out and reference almost everything from the franchise so far. Like DMC5 is referencing DMC1 and even DMC4 far more than it is DMC3.

Last edited:

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Yes a weapon that has no bearing or effect on the actual story is the most continuity driven thing this series had done.

I think what he means is alot of continuity stuff in DMC isn't outright stated in cutscenes or referenced outright. So it's cool to see a weapon and boss return with presumably a full cutscene into its battle unlike phantom who was thrown in DMC2 without acknowledgement and being mute. It's cool for something to be actively referenced and acknowledged in the game story

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I think what he means is alot of continuity stuff in DMC isn't outright stated in cutscenes or referenced outright. So it's cool to see a weapon and boss return with presumably a full cutscene into its battle unlike phantom who was thrown in DMC2 without acknowledgement and being mute. It's cool for something to be actively referenced and acknowledged in the game story

You mean like Yamato and Sparda being crucial key elements in DMC4's plot or the plot of DMC3 revolving around obtaining the Force Edge?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yea but that was the first time they were really talked about in the story of the game. This is a previous story element acknowledged in game that's doing so again

The original quote goes something like this: "what i appreciate most is the fact they brought back cerberus.. there's a feel of continuity there finally, and it comes from my fave installment of the original."

If continuity being apart of the core story is what you want then DMC5 isn't the first time DMC has ever done that. So what you want the game's plot to stop every time whenever a continuity nod appears on screen so the characters can go "Hey isn't that from {insert this game here}"

What should be asking for is for more integration of continuity into the game's plot (like say have Nero reference the Bianco and Alto Angelos when he runs into Angelo enemy types in this game and have Dante remark on V's familiars since he fought them before). DMC is filled with continuity nods. Its over indulgent in it.

DMC5 seems to be doing that and honestly Cerberus is the least continuity driven thing DMC5 is doing. The fact Agnus and his research is being utilized into the plot and are what are the basis for Nero's Devil Breakers (utilizing demonic resources with technology to engineer anti-demon tech for the conflict) is far more significant than Cerberus making a comeback because one has longer implications for the story and even the world while the other will be cutscene, a boss fight, another cutscene and a new weapon then we move on.....although I wonder if Cerberus or my bad King Cerberus is also competing for the fruit and the throne.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
No lazy backtracking, and the level design looks to be a compromise between past DMC games and DmC.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
No lazy backtracking, and the level design looks to be a compromise between past DMC games and DmC.

Actually the Cameo system seems to be adding a new element since we can play certain levels with more than 1 character but in they don't follow the same path but goes their own way only to cross over at times. Meaning there are different routes tied to each character for certain missions. Meaning Mission 7 with Nero is a pretty different experience with Mission 7 with V.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted

Well DMC4 is a sequel to DMC1 so its bound to borrow more from that one and due to story reason enemies and bosses from DMC3 cant really carry over to DMC4's setting due to the fact most of those enemies are tied to Temen-Ni-Gru and thus wont be found so easily outside of it. Also I didn't know we were basing continuity on how well a sequel can recycle old ideas from previous installments.

Also DMC5 is the end of Itsuno's run and DMC as we know it so much likely they are going to go all out and reference almost everything from the franchise so far. Like DMC5 is referencing DMC1 and even DMC4 far more than it is DMC3.

wha-- well yeah, that is selective continuity, my selective continuity.. i select what i'm interested in.

oh-- a pokemon..

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Stylish Nero
I read your posts and the facts you lay down on the table and I can't help but feel like it's a lost cause. You know how it is. DMC has this stigma of being a series with disconnected narrative, has had it for years, and no matter how many proofs you present to the contrary and how much logic you apply, it's not gonna change the minds of the people who already made it up.

Only DMC2 actually feels like it's disconnected from the rest. Which, apparently, is something 5 is up to fix.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think this thread is a bit premature because DMCV isn't out yet. So for all we know it could be a hot mess ( just being devil's advocate). I'm optimistic its not gonna be even if I'm going in with low expectations.

Like KH3 I'm just gonna enjoy the ride and let it be whatever its gonna end up being.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
I think this thread is a bit premature because DMCV isn't out yet. So for all we know it could be a hot mess ( just being devil's advocate). I'm optimistic its not gonna be even if I'm going in with low expectations.

Like KH3 I'm just gonna enjoy the ride and let it be whatever its gonna end up being.
If Capcom don't do anything to kill anyone's hype the game could prob do good sales just from that.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
As much as we do give DMC4's story grief, its not that bad.

In fact if you were to rank the stories, It be #3 to me. In fact I'll recommend it over the anime and manga.

I'm curious to see what DMCV improves on storywise.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
As much as we do give DMC4's story grief, its not that bad.

In fact if you were to rank the stories, It be #3 to me. In fact I'll recommend it over the anime and manga.

I'm curious to see what DMCV improves on storywise.

EDIT:

I think the reason so many had a problem with 4's story, because it was Dante's first HD outing and he was not the main character, and the game felt more like a gaiden/side story instead of a full fledged sequel. At the time it did not bother me (still doesn't), but I understood where they were coming from.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I think the reason so many had a problem with 4's story, because it was Dante's first HD outing and he was not the main character, and game felt more like a gaiden/side story instead of a full fledged sequel. At the time I did not, but I understood where they were coming from.

Its not like the dev team had their dev time cut short and thus had to rush out a product which resulted in them dropping a lot of their more ambitious ideas they initially had (some ideas that they seem to be reusing for DMC5). Nope somehow the fact this is the first HD DMC game (although I can see how that could become a problem with development costs and all) and Dante not being the main character is somehow the root of DMC4's problems.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think the reason so many had a problem with 4's story, because it was Dante's first HD outing and he was not the main character, and the game felt more like a gaiden/side story instead of a full-fledged sequel. At the time I did not, but I understood where they were coming from.
That's part of it but another part is how people felt about Nero. To a lot of people, he wasn't what the series needed or what fans wanted at the time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
That's part of it but another part is how people felt about Nero. To a lot of people, he wasn't what the series needed or what fans wanted at the time.

Nero too. I was there when the backlash happened. There is also the whole DMC4 & RE5 are no longer PS3 exclusives fiasco. I remember many a rages on video game sites and forums. Funny enough, it's was what convinced me to get a X360.

Its not like the dev team had their dev time cut short and thus had to rush out a product which resulted in them dropping a lot of their more ambitious ideas they initially had (some ideas that they seem to be reusing for DMC5). Nope somehow the fact this is the first HD DMC game (although I can see how that could become a problem with development costs and all) and Dante not being the main character is somehow the root of DMC4's problems.

When I look at the what was kept on the cutting room floor, I do sigh a little. Had Capcom gave Itsuno and his team more time, the levels and story could have been better fleshed out.

Also, I would have preferred Nero's prototype design as a Sherlock Holmes style character. I actually remember a friend in high school who found leaked sketches of Nero and he would do practice drawings of the prototype design.

I like Nero, but when you think about it, he's Gene (from God Hand) combined with Ichigo Kurasaki, and essences of Dante and Vergil.

Last edited:

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Ehh I'd say his approval has improved but not really 100%.

Outside some people who would prefer Dante as the main (for selfish fanboy reasoning SOLE) protagonist the general audience have all warmed up to see Nero. You can't please everyone. You would be naive to think you can make Dante purists (worshipers for some of these people have bizarre obsessions with a fictional character) like anyone else filling the lead role that isn't their white haired, red trench-coat lord and savior.

Hey imagine if the DmC announcement trailer in 2010 had that Dante say "My name is Nero". You know how much less flack they would've gotten (maybe a ton of confusement and some general discomfort but nothing to the levels they actually had).

Top Bottom