• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A child of many names...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
I don't know if I've already said this:

Yes, DMC3 Dante was cheesy. But that's because it's what he was going for: A cheesy nonchalant teenager.

But what if the end result of both Dantes are the same? By that I mean what if "Dino" grows up to be a very controlled, cool-headed, over-the-top ass-kicker?
Then NTDante would have to be accepted as Dante in some sense, right?

If fans keep an open mind about things, they're not going to look at him and dismiss him instantly because he's not an anime character in this iteration. It's childish.

ZeroLove

I like Devil May Cry 3 because of its cheesiness. It is over-the-top and extreme, not very realistic or well-written, but epic upon epicness. It's fun! It's not supposed to be taken too seriously, because it is supposed to be fun. If you don't find it fun, then alright, it's not your sense of humour. People have different senses of humour, that's just the way it is, but don't critisize eachother just because some find it fun and some don't. Some like pizza, others don't, but that's no reason to make it a problem.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
^I don't mean to say I don't like DMC3's Dante, but many fans refuse to acknowledge that there's actually supposed to be a difference between the two.

ZeroLove

^I don't mean to say I don't like DMC3's Dante, but many fans refuse to acknowledge that there's actually supposed to be a difference between the two.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I tried to make an explanation on how I see new Dante and original Dante as characters, as I see them as two different characters, yet the same on so many levels... Here's my post:

Original Dante and new Dante are meant to be basically the same character, but from two different worlds and are therefore not directly related. However, the person that is Dante remains in both of them, being one with otherworldly powers, demon hunters, gunslingers, swordsmen, coat-wearing, snide and laid back personalities and so on. As individuals, they are two persons, not the same person, but what makes them both Dante is the way they are as characters. New Dante have some features about him that makes him unique from the original Dante, to show that he is indeed not original Dante, that they are two seperate characters, yet they are still so alike due to the fact that they are both carved out from the same wood, but with different carpenters (just throw that analogy in there. :p ), Hideki Kamiya (was that spelled right?) made the original Dante, Ninja Theory made the new Dante.

The new Dante is the original Dante from another world, from an alternate plane that runs parallel with the original plane, carved from the same wood but formed differently from one another to befit the target group of gamers.

They aren't the same character, yet they are. It really is a contradiction in itself which I guess is what confuses so many people. I see them as two different individuals though. Original Dante and new Dante. Like Megaman and Megaman.EXE, two different characters, but still the same on so many levels. (I know, I love using Megaman as an example, but I just think it fits so perfectly with the issue at hand.)

You might disagree with all of this, but that's how I see it anyways and Capcom hasn't given me reason to think otherwise.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
If surfing on a rocket and not being able to be serious is awesome to you, then I feel sorry. I can't understand what exactly is awesome about being a childish jackass, but opinions are flying deep in this forums.
plus is loved of pizza is nostalgic for me but i will never say why
f6db6799bead01b8c0d05952760a5aa4.jpg

never said nothing about pictures XD
besides if smoking and acting like a brutal punk is cool to you , than i feel sorry, besides we already have kratos for brutalness
more brutes is just annoying XD

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
i'm ok with brutes as long as they have character...kratos has character....Dante doesn't seem to have the SAME character...he doesn't seem to be out for vengeance, he's legitly trying to protect himself in a world against him

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
same guy, doesn't really matter...no matter how many parallel universes there are, Peter Parker is still Peter Parker, and Dante is Dante...it's the same fricken guy...claiming anything else is just ignorance to fact.
Comics are a different media. And just because you and other comic readers have accepted many different Peter Parkers as the exact same Peter Parker it does not apply to games or people's perceptions.

Let me break down your argument:
Mario throughout the years is Mario. Even if the story is different, the character that is Mario has been preserved. If you look at 1985 Mario and 2006 Mario you will say "Hey, it's the same guy". Sure Mario was a carpenter in beginning, but profession change is a natural thing. Mario can be both carpenter and plummer. There is no law saying "Mario you can only work as one profession only!". Think about it - is it that unlogical for Mario to be able to have two professions? No.

Bottomline: He stayed the same Mario from 1985 to 2006. And Dante from DMC 2, 3 and 4 are all accepted as Dante by fans because of one simple reason: They stayed true to Dante's character.

The things that is very important by Dante's character is:
1) His hair is white because he was born with it.
2) He is half human and half demon
3) He jokes around and isn't the kind of guy who takes situation with a grim face.

Red jacket that Dante has is not a important thing by his character. Because it's just a cloth, it's not something that makes Dante who he is.

Ninja theory's Dante :
1) is half angel and half demon
2) Has white hair supposedly because of demon powers /or no white hair at all.

In a reboot sense a character can stay the same for people to be able to call them the same. Take Parasite Eve reboot (Third Birthday) or Tombraider reboot:
Both of those characters are very much the same as the original characters.

Aya Brea (Parasite Eve)
Original
Aya_Brea_1.jpg

REBOOT
GP_the-3rd-birthday-parasite-eve-aya-brea-sexy-screenshot-586x332.jpg

TOMB RAIDER:

Original:
tombunderworld.jpg

REBOOT:
tomb-raider-reboot-lara-croft.jpg

Reboot characters that preserve original characters' character deserved to be called the same as the original. Because they are pretty much the same.

But this NT' Dante is just a new character that uses Dante's character for ideas, and DmC is called a "parallel universe" to calm down people, and as a excuse to make a new character.

If NT' Dante is in a parallel universe, and because he is in a parallel universe he is the same character As DMC Dante, then who are these characters (These are in two other parallel universes)?:
1:43

People who accept many characters as the same can't let go of something they like. You should have respect for a character and let go when it's time is over.
And then in DmC controversy there are people who like NT's Dante and bash DMC Dante and promote DmC Dante.

I could make my own Dante. Fan fiction is what it's called, but when it's put forward as offical it's no longer fan fiction. Making my own Dante is the greatest way for me (a Dante fan) to disrespect Dante. I don't need to do that , Dante is cool and i don't need to see him be anyone else than who he is.

Sure Dante needs development but he doesn't need stupid changes. Stupid changes are made by people who want a character to be in their liking. If you don't like a character then leave.

I guess i am ignorant because i don't see NT's Dante and DMC Dante as the same, even in a reboot sense they are not.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
but it is the same...same characteristics and behavior, though SLIGHTLY changed, same attitude, same general style of clothing....you can tell it's Dante

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
but it is the same...same characteristics and behavior, though SLIGHTLY changed, same attitude, same general style of clothing....you can tell it's Dante
In real world there are often slightly things that makes someone X and someone else Y.

Venom and Spiderman - slight changes but two different characters.

It's not the same character, it's just the same character because you want it to be. If 100 people wrote a fan fiction of a New Spiderman, and 1 of them got picked to be the new Spiderman comic or movie - does that mean it's no longer fan fiction?

Galileo told everyone that the sun does not go in circle around the earth but the opposite. Because the majorities perception of it was that the sun went in circle around earth, Galileo were killed for it. Even though the majorites perception was wrong.

It's very pathetic that people like to see the same old thing recycled.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
no but see, the company has even said it's the SAME Dante in a parallel universe....guess what..comics may be a different form of media, but the rules of parallel, alternate, whateverthefuckyouwanttocallit universes still apply the same exact way. Saying it's a "different" person like there's 82 million different bobs or steves or whoever in the world is ignorant, because it is the same person -in an alternate universe. Same character, different history.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
no but see, the company has even said it's the SAME Dante in a parallel universe....guess what..comics may be a different form of media, but the rules of parallel, alternate, whateverthefuckyouwanttocallit universes still apply the same exact way. Saying it's a "different" person like there's 82 million different bobs or steves or whoever in the world is ignorant, because it is the same person -in an alternate universe. Same character, different history.
Your not a parallel universe researcher. Capcom ain't either. Capcom is a business.
They have said it's "the same Dante", but they also said they want 5M sales.

But let me tell you something:
If 100 Dante's were made. And they all were different in a way or other but they were pretty much the "same" character:

Then would you in your head picture teh 100 Dante's? Or Will only a few Dante come up in your head?

Really people can't let go of a character, and business know how to capitalize on that for money.

I am through replying to you. By your logic Venom and Spiderman are the same.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
if capcom made 100 dantes, there's more issues than the fact that only a few can come to my head...since there's only two universes here, and it's the same character, that analogy doesn't work

and by the way, that spiderman-venom analogy makes no sense either...they appear in the SAME universe and fight eachother...so unless spiderman has dissociative identity disorder (he doesn't) or dante from DMC magically appears in this game and fights the new version of himself (highly doubtful), you are just blowing smoke out your @ss

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Just because comics have parallel universes and such doesn't mean they can't do the same in videogames.
You guys speak of parallel universe as if it's a logical thing. How about you open your eyes and see that Capcom ain't parallel universe researchers:

It's a business thing.

But the parallel universe is convenient for people who like NT's Dante.

ZeroLove

You guys speak of parallel universe as if it's a logical thing. How about you open your eyes and see that Capcom ain't parallel universe researchers:

It's a business thing.

But the parallel universe is convenient for people who like NT's Dante.

Yeah, I'm still not going to entertain your arguements. You'll just misunderstand on purpose. So I'm ending this arguement before it starts.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
^ mature bro, real mature. It is a business ploy, but parallel universes are actually very simple concepts. If you can't accept it, then you can't accept it, but don't go around saying how everything is wrong and aweful and "a totally different person, another man named Dante" when it's actually the same guy. It's been explained. If you can't like it, then just accept the fact, otherwise you choose to remain ignorant.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
^ mature bro, real mature. It is a business ploy, but parallel universes are actually very simple concepts. If you can't accept it, then you can't accept it, but don't go around saying how everything is wrong and aweful and "a totally different person, another man named Dante" when it's actually the same guy. It's been explained. If you can't like it, then just accept the fact, otherwise you choose to remain ignorant.
Ah wrong thread :)

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Just because comics have parallel universes and such doesn't mean they can't do the same in videogames.

WHO NEEDS ??? games don't get published everyday like comics ! Reboot means keeping the important qualities intact ! TR reboot has done that and NT has

done it like bomberman actzero
images

He used to be handsome always smiling&healthy both mentally&physically !!! New danteX is the opposite of the points I've listed !!
images
he isn't handsome anymore seems like he didn't have a shower in years he is skinny and also seems to lack that "happy good smile" instead he has that "I will fuking kill you smile" what kind of ****edup reboot is this ? there's no excuse NT&Crapcom doesn't care about the fans if they really did this would have been an Spin-off but no ! they want to murder one of the most iconic heroes ever made in gaming history he isn't a "child of many names" he's an hoodlum of many names

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
^Woah.
Judging a book by its cover much?

I wanted to stay away from Bayonetta at first. To this day, he character design and over-sexualization of EVERYTHING Bayonetta does in her game still annoys me. I even changed her costume the first chance I got because I didn't care at all for the fanservice portion of the game.
But she is an extreme badass in an AMAZING video game. There are times where she pulls off calm, cool, and controlled better than Dante could. That's what matters more than what I think of her looks.

Yes, the change is weird, but seriously. Snap judgements like that will get us nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom