• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil's True Mission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Headcanon is not being passed on as fact. It is just an opinion alot of us agree with when it comes to Vergil.

It sure as hell sounds like it, when half the stuff that was being brought up was never put forth in the games >.> I got into a circular logic argument because Innsmouth was denying one element and trying to extrapolate reasoning for things that didn't exist.

The guy chose an honorable defeat, but got a dishonorable loss only to re-retrieve his honorable death. If that isn't some respectable **** then I don't know what is.

Ha. So even if Vergil was giving out honorable deaths (like he is), he still isn't honorable?

What actually constitutes an "honorable death" that can be given to someone?

And, I mean, Vergil is certainly about clean fights with no shenanigans, but that's less about any sort of respect and more about wanting to fight someone with their own potential. Like, that's why he thinks a gun is uncivilized, it makes killing easy, and doesn't require much of the wielder's potential to be shown.

And c'mon FO, don't be like that.

You have your opinion of what's honorable in a villain and I have my own.

Don't any of you forget that ****.

See, now that's gonna bug me, because it totally doesn't matter what your definition of a word is - the one that actually matters is the actual definition >.>

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
WHAT IS HONORABLE THEN?

'Cause I don't think Vergil would actually handicap himself to fight me... -_-
You have your opinion of what's honorable in a villain and I have my own.

Don't any of you forget that ****.
ALRIGHT. FINE.

Last edited:

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I like Vergil. My most favorite character in Devil may cry series probably. The way he utilizes his sword was just brilliant, graceful and deadly at the same time. As a once practitioner of bladed weapons(Eskrima) i definitely admired it even though it's practically impossible to do in real life.. To be honest, i also like the way he acts because it just oozes "cool".

But he is no complex character. I mean he could have if Capcom wasn't too lazy to make his own story in Special Edition.

So, I'm just going to say that he wanted to conquer the world "for its own protection."

You know, the classic, "becoming-evil-for-the-greater-good" motive crap or whatever.

Him being a Machiavellian would only work if his motivations are truly about gaining power for the greater good. Raising a demonic tower knowing there would be innocents to die could just be an acceptable damage in his mind.

Vergil was talking about Dante and his desire to protect people, and how without power, he wouldn't be able to do it.

I don't think the quote "Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything" can just be interpreted in one way. There is a reason why 99.5%(totally random) of the fanbase somehow believes that his main motivation was because of the death of his mother and that quote i believe, started this whole shebang of people believing that his mother is his main motivation. But again, he was written so vague and inconsistent and what you said, some of his best qualities or "complexity" can only be seen in theories which is pretty sad.

Also Final Offer didn't know that you kinda liked Vergil. That's great :thumbsup:

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I don't think the quote "Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything" can just be interpreted in one way. There is a reason why 99.5%(totally random) of the fanbase somehow believes that his main motivation was because of the death of his mother and that quote i believe, started this whole shebang of people believing that his mother is his main motivation. But again, he was written so vague and inconsistent and what you said, some of his best qualities or "complexity" can only be seen in theories which is pretty sad.

Yeah, and that's the rub - so much was left up in the air or unexplained (par for the course in a DMC game, amirite) that people have to come to their own conclusions. As simple as it might seem to believe that he's doing it all because of Eva's death, it's still never explained. We have just as much reason to believe a bunch of other, different things as we do that he's doing it because of Eva's death. The game only paints him as a guy with his "f#ck everyone, get power" motivation :/

I think it's similar to how there are certain fans of FFVII who, because of their intense love and admiration of Sephiroth, have headcanon based around how he wasn't really a bad buy, just misunderstood, and being controlled by Jenova. It's like...the character isn't allowed to just be the villain that he is, excuses have to be made >.<

Also Final Offer didn't know that you kinda liked Vergil. That's great :thumbsup:

I had thought I made that abundantly clear :'( Oh well, I like Vergil for what he is, but I have no disillusions about exactly how poorly he was written. He's a one-note villain, but at least with that one-note, he's still pretty damn cool, and had really fun chemistry with Dante. I loved how he played along with all of Dante's party talk, but just seemed so sick of his sh!t. Such a sarcastic b!tch haha

Side Note: I really don't think that Vergil is like Light Yagami. LY has a lot more depth to his character, in my honest opinion.

How determinedly he eats chips, it's just positively riveting!

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
And petty trolling started again. As usual topic got derailed and now can gonna dissolve into nothingness. Good work I guess:p

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Side Note: I really don't think that Vergil is like Light Yagami. LY has a lot . more depth to his character, in my honest opinion.

Now this is very much true. But Light is the very definition of the archetype Anti-Villain and he is pretty much two dimensional. Still a better character than Vergil overall.

Johnny Young Bosch at his best, right there.

His voice actor is actually Brad Swaile :D

The Final Offer

You guys, if I didn't already watch DN, I would be so **** ****ed you spoiled it for me.

If you guys would so kindly place spoilers over actual spoilers, that'd be great.

Whether you like Vergil or not, I'm not agreeing with the single dimension you believe he is. Nothing wrong with that and on everything any of you have posted, it doesn't seem to counter anything I've said to make it less true.

The Final Offer

That doesn't mean he isn't.

OMG R WE ENEMIES NOW?
tumblr_lzmm5xvvNU1r5qiggo1_500.gif

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Oh, Dear God. :nailbiting:

Anyway, let me explain as to why I don't like him as much as I like a certain other sword-wielding, older-brother badass:

Melfice.

Personally, I think Vergil is a watered-down version of this "Trailblazer of Chaos".

Yeah. I went there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look, the guy is an older brother, has a badass sword, leaves death and destruction in his wake, and, in my very humble, very honest opinion, has ten times more character than Vergil.

So much so, that the Grandia wiki and the instruction manual call him the "Bringer of Ruination".

That... is the Highest Honor of Villainy, right there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure if you played the game, you would at least partially agree. Listen, the only reason I even liked playing as Vergil because I was imagining that I was really playing as Melfice all along.
Oh, and he's also a half-demon as well.

He's possessed by Horns of Valmar, the Grandia version of the devil.

That's like, having the Eye of Mundus at your control, y'know?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean, listen to that voice. That laugh.

His lines are way better than Vergil's imo.

I mean, I still can't believe this guy didn't get more exposure. He was created before Vergil was, and I still think that Vergil's creation was inspired directly by Melfice himself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom