• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil's True Mission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Final Offer

This is definitely something I've been wanting to talk about and haven't thought about in a while. There are several questions coming up. If any of you have any evidence of anything, please post it.

Does anyone else believe that Vergil was going easy on Dante? I mean, check this out.

When Vergil was Nero Angelo, did his skills not seem better than Dante's? If not for the amulet saving Dante's life, we wouldn't have a protagonist.

Also, when Vergil used Yamato, he was at his finest and defeated Dante no problem. When he uses Beowulf and Force Edge that suddenly makes the battles all the more difficult for him.

Was Vergil purposefully giving Dante handicaps?

Vergil didn't seem to care about his father's power in the end. He just wanted to be better than him. Could it be.....once Vergil felt weakened enough, he'd go up against Mundus in the same/worse condition his father had? Was Vergil's mission to gain power just a ruse to get Dante mad enough to fight him and weaken him? Maybe Vergil wanted Dante to follow him as backup in case of Mundus defeating him or wanted Dante to see what his real intentions were.

Did Vergil believe that he had enough power to take on Mundus and thus, felt powerful enough to destroy Mundus once and for all?

Vergil's motives in DMC 3 have always brought me to questions/theories like these. I think it's about time I shared them and got some input from others.

Zero

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I always thought his goal was to kill Mundus to get revenge for Eva's death. From what I understood Mundus "sent" the demons that killed her, Sparda was already dead by that point and wasn't there to protect her, Vergil considered it a failure on his part.

...don't remember if that was ever stated in the games or not, could just be filling in the blanks with my own head-canon.

So I guess his mission was something like
1. Open Hellgate in Temen-ni-gru, to do this he needed help
2. Get Force Edge, and therefore MOAR POWA
3. Kill Mundus with Sparda's power

Of course we all know how that turned out....XD Kind of makes me wonder if it would've been different if he had taken on Mundus with Force Edge.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
So. F**king. Vague.

You know what? In the "DMC Story" thing from DMC4, it says he went on the path to evil. So, I'm just going to say that he wanted to conquer the world "for its own protection."

You know, the classic, "becoming-evil-for-the-greater-good" motive crap or whatever.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Vergil's true mission?

"Dad was powerful, I should be powerful too. I'm gonna get powerful, and screw everyone else who gets in the way of that."

No poignant "Get strong because I wasn't strong enough to protect my mother", just..."I can be really powerful, I should do that".

Vergil is a highly romanticized one-dimensional character. Granted, that one dimension just oozes so-cool-it's-absolute-zero, but still...

You know what? In the "DMC Story" thing from DMC4, it says he went on the path to evil.

Which is rather funny considering Vergil was just embracing the hell out of his demonic side to gain power, and DMC constantly bonks the players over the head with the idea that "demons aren't inherently evil". Yet, Vergil somehow chose the path to evil by embracing his demonic lineage :p

I guess it's the "actions are what determine evilness", but not giving a sh!t about others while you achieve your goals doesn't make you evil, it just makes you a c0ck.

Personally, I think Vergil's motivation for gaining more power was as follows. After witnessing Eva's death, Vergil decided that he would gain more power so he could prevent anything he cared about from being harmed again. I also think that Dante was the last thing he cared about, despite him acting like the stereotypical douche of an older brother. Which leads to their first fight. Vergil, I believe, may have known all along how to awaken Dante's power. Wanting Dante to be able to protect himself, should something happen to Vergil, he impaled Dante to provide him with the power to protect himself. By the second battle, Dante may have began irritating Vergil as only a younger sibling can with his constant interference, but Vergil may have held back because he wanted him alive. In their final fight, since Dante was still trying to prevent his gaining of the power he thought he needed, Vergil became enraged and made mistakes in his fighting which led to Dante defeating him. When falling into hell, he warned Dante in a very siblingish way to get out and not worry about him. His fighting Mundus could bee seen as the last futile attempt to protect the last thing he ever cared about, his brother Dante, from having to face the greatest known evil ever. Just my 2 cents on this subject

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Styrofoam%252520Head.jpg
20070201214005_Cannon%20(Small).jpg

It continues :p

However, this is not to say that it's bad. Some of Vergil's best qualities come from pure theory.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
It continues :p

However, this is not to say that it's bad. Some of Vergil's best qualities come from pure theory.
I wouldn't call it pure theory. Remember how Vergil mentioned to Dante that without power he can't protect anything without power? He didn't said "you can't beat me without power". So it all actually was a tip that Vergil's quest for power comes from his inability to do anything when EVA died. Additionally his wish to confront Mundus at the end of DMC3 serves the same purpose. So while both aren't confirmed directly, it's provides more than enough basis to imagine his true motivations.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I wouldn't call it pure theory. Remember how Vergil mentioned to Dante that without power he can't protect anything without power? He didn't said "you can't beat me without power". So it all actually was a tip that Vergil's quest for power comes from his inability to do anything when EVA died.

Vergil told Dante "You (Dante) can't protect anything without power". It's a suggestion to Dante based on how the hero devoted his life to protecting others. Vergil and his motives don't factor into anything there. Vergil also says "Might controls everything", so from that all we can assume (which we should never do) is that Vergil just wants power to control things - to what ends, and for what reasons, are a mystery because they were never explained. Any conclusions are purely theoretical, there's no canon motivation beyond "F#ck people, get power". I bet he's got that tattooed on his chest.

Additionally his wish to confront Mundus at the end of DMC3 serves the same purpose. So while both aren't confirmed directly, it's provides more than enough basis to imagine his true motivations.

Remember what he said before running headlong into battle against Mundus? "It'll be fun fighting the Prince of Darkness. If my father did it, I should be able to do it too". Nothing in there that could give any implication of Vergil doing things for his mom.

Hell, what little Vergil says of himself shows that he's inspired way more by Sparda's exploits than he is Eva's death.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Vergil told Dante "You (Dante) can't protect anything without power". It's a suggestion to Dante based on how the hero devoted his life to protecting others. Vergil and his motives don't factor into anything there. Vergil also says "Might controls everything", so from that all we can assume (which we should never do) is that Vergil just wants power to control things - to what ends, and for what reasons, are a mystery because they were never explained. Any conclusions are purely theoretical, there's no canon motivation beyond "F#ck people, get power". I bet he's got that tattooed on his chest.
His whole quote is "Foolishness, Dante, foolishness. Might controls everything. And without strength, you can't protect anything. Let alone yourself." It's pretty obvious he talks about Eva, since sentence just don't makes any sense in any other content. "devoted his life to protecting others." isn't really applies, since it was BEFORE Dante started his business. As such there was no other person they were unable to protect.
Remember what he said before running headlong into battle against Mundus? "It'll be fun fighting the Prince of Darkness. If my father did it, I should be able to do it too". Nothing in there that could give any implication of Vergil doing things for his mom.
It's pretty obvious Vergil wants to take his father mantle....as it's obvious he hates Mundus, since he basically acted like Dante, instead of his cold self. He recklessly rushes in battle, despite understanding he's most likely going to loose.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
His whole quote is "Foolishness, Dante, foolishness. Might controls everything. And without strength, you can't protect anything. Let alone yourself." It's pretty obvious he talks about Eva, since sentence just don't makes any sense in any other content.

It is completely unclear he's talking about Eva! They hadn't talked about Eva the entire time up to that point, and Vergil is addressing Dante and Dante's desire to protect people, because...

"devoted his life to protecting others." isn't really applies, since it was BEFORE Dante started his business. As such there was no other person they were unable to protect.

Nope nope nope - Dante already had his business set up, he just didn't have a name for it. The phone rings in the very first cutscene and Dante says "Sorry, not open for business just yet", implying that the business was certainly started, just not ready. By the beginning of DMC3, Dante had already previously decided upon being a mercenary that hunts demons to protect humanity, since they can't do it themselves. The shop and the business existed, it just existed sans a name, and wasn't technically "open" until he came up with a name.

Even if by some stretch of imagination Vergil was referring to Eva, it would be Dante's desire to protect inspired by Eva's death. Vergil has shown time and again throughout DMC3 to care about absolutely one person: himself. The only thing he cares about other than himself is getting Sparda's power - to what ends is never explained.

It's pretty obvious Vergil wants to take his father mantle....as it's obvious he hates Mundus, since he basically acted like Dante, instead of his cold self. He recklessly rushes in battle, despite understanding he's most likely going to loose.

Yop, and none of that has to do with any mention of Eva.

Vergil does nothing in DMC3 but talk about power and embracing their demonic side. Barely any mention of Eva, and when Vergil does mention their parents, it's like 99.9% Sparda, and in the context of "Dad was stronk, I wanna be stronk like Dad".

-------------------------------------------------------

You say it's obvious because that's what you believe, but what you believe and what is actually presented by the game are two different things - namely, one is imaginary, and the other, the truth.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
It is completely unclear he's talking about Eva! They hadn't talked about Eva the entire time up to that point, and Vergil is addressing Dante and Dante's desire to protect people, because...
There just literally not a single other person he can't talk about.

Nope nope nope - Dante already had his business set up, he just didn't have a name for it. The phone rings in the very first cutscene and Dante says "Sorry, not open for business just yet", implying that the business was certainly started, just not ready. By the beginning of DMC3, Dante had already previously decided upon being a mercenary that hunts demons to protect humanity, since they can't do it themselves. The shop and the business existed, it just existed sans a name, and wasn't technically "open" until he came up with a name..
You probably forgot ;) "sorry, not opened for business yet" literally first thing Dante says in game. Nope. It's not open. So his business have yet to start. As such it's completely impossible to say about any heroic deeds and desire to protect as part of his business.

Even if by some stretch of imagination Vergil was referring to Eva, it would be Dante's desire to protect inspired by Eva's death. Vergil has shown time and again throughout DMC3 to care about absolutely one person: himself. The only thing he cares about other than himself is getting Sparda's power - to what ends is never explained.
It's pretty obvious. He wouldn't even start talking about defending anyone. He would be just another "You can't me with that puny power" or something. IT's not something that was put in there randomly. There is not a single reason to believe otherwise.

You say it's obvious because that's what you believe, but what you believe and what is actually presented by the game are two different things - namely, one is imaginary, and the other, the truth.
I say so, because everything I said supported by the game itself, while your speculations rely on your own desire to prove how flat and ****ty Vergil in game.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
There just literally not a single other person he can't talk about.

Except for...y'know...the whole of humanity that Dante decided he was gonna protect because demons are a gigantic threat.

You probably forgot ;) "sorry, not opened for business yet" literally first thing Dante says in game.

That's exactly what I said. L2read.

Nope. It's not open. So his business have yet to start. As such it's completely impossible to say about any heroic deeds and desire to protect as part of his business.

You clearly have no idea how a business starts. Before you can have a business doing something, you must first have a desire to do that something. Dante had a desire to kill demons and protect people, so he made a business for it. Just because it wasn't open yet, doesn't mean the desire also doesn't exist.

It's pretty obvious. He wouldn't even start talking about defending anyone. He would be just another "You can't me with that puny power" or something. IT's not something that was put in there randomly. There is not a single reason to believe otherwise.

It doesn't just come out of nowhere if they aren't talking about Eva! Vergil's one-track mind of "Get more powerf" and "Dad was awesome" are his reasons for talking to Dante about power, and how without power Dante could never beat Vergil, nor protect anyone as Dante intended to do.

I say so, because everything I said supported by the game itself, while your speculations rely on your own desire to prove how flat and ****ty Vergil in game.

Pure bullsh!t. Nothing you say is supported by the game itself, because everything you're f#cking saying is wrong or misinterpreted. You believe that Dante had no business, no desire, and had no one to protect, so therefore they must be talking about Eva. Yet, you're completely wrong about that one thing, which weakens your entire position.

You're using circular logic to attempt to prove your point. That's not how things work though.

You're trying to say something about a character, and then trying to make elements confirm what you believe, with wholly incorrect ideas and misinterpretations .

Vergil did little else in the game besides being super cool and talking only about power, his desire for it, how awesome it is, and screwing anyone who got in his way. Because of these things, he is a one-dimensional character.

And I didn't say Vergil was sh!tty, he's a cool character. He just has no real intriguing motivation, which makes him very one-dimensional. He's CoolGuy McMoarPowerPants.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Except for...y'know...the whole of humanity that Dante decided he was gonna protect because demons are a gigantic threat.
Except you know he didn't start to do it yet...sooooo...

That's exactly what I said. L2read.
"We're not opened for business = open for business....ok, I get it...and I assume you have any prove? Because without it it's only non-existing speculation.

You clearly have no idea how a business starts. Before you can have a business doing something, you must first have a desire to do that something. Dante had a desire to kill demons and protect people, so he made a business for it. Just because it wasn't open yet, doesn't mean the desire also doesn't exist.
Sooo, and Vergil who he NEVER met since childhood somehow know EXACTLY what Dante think ...because you know...there isn't a definitive proof to what you said.

It doesn't just come out of nowhere if they aren't talking about Eva! Vergil's one-track mind of "Get more powerf" and "Dad was awesome" are his reasons for talking to Dante about power, and how without power Dante could never beat Vergil, nor protect anyone as Dante intended to do..
I still repeat myself. There wasn't reason for him even talk about protecting someone. He talked about it, because it was past that they both experienced. (hell he even may have been ****ed Mundus killed Sparda, if you so bent out on taking Eva from the scales) Your refusal to believe it, doesn't really change anything.

Pure bullsh!t. Nothing you say is supported by the game itself, because everything you're f#cking saying is wrong or misinterpreted. You believe that Dante had no business, no desire, and had no one to protect, so therefore they must be talking about Eva. Yet, you're completely wrong about that one thing, which weakens your entire position.

You're using circular logic to attempt to prove your point. That's not how things work though.

You're trying to say something about a character, and then trying to make elements confirm what you believe, with wholly incorrect ideas and misinterpretations .

Vergil did little else in the game besides being super cool and talking only about power, his desire for it, how awesome it is, and screwing anyone who got in his way. Because of these things, he is a one-dimensional character.

And I didn't say Vergil was sh!tty, he's a cool character. He just has no real intriguing motivation, which makes him very one-dimensional. He's CoolGuy McMoarPowerPants.
Well you may want to believe it. But there is about dozen people who think otherwise. It based on your speculation, because if you agree with it, it pretty much breaks mythos that all characters in DMC flat. There is much more things Vergil COULD have done, yet he didn't . He could have finished Dante instead of just taking his medalion. He could have killed Lady in one blow. He could have recover before fighting Mundus head-on. Yet you refuse to see all those facts pretending they are just some mistakes in game. You know, not all fiction present only what you've shown. There is sometimes no need to explain any action in words.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
"We're not opened for business = open for business....ok, I get it...and I assume you have any prove? Because without it it's only non-existing speculation.

You dense mother f#cker. A business not being open has literally nothing to do with Dante's desire to protect people and kill demons. He started the business because he wanted to protect people, his business not being open doesn't remove the function of the business itself.

Learn. To. F#cking. Read.

Sooo, and Vergil who he NEVER met since childhood somehow know EXACTLY what Dante think ...because you know...there isn't a definitive proof to what you said.

"It's been over a year since we last met." Dante says that twice (going up to Temen-ni-Gru, and just before their first fight in the game). Dante says they faced off a year prior to DMC3's start, so these tussles over their ideals isn't the first.

I still repeat myself. There wasn't reason for him even talk about protecting someone. He talked about it, because it was past that they both experienced. (hell he even may have been ****ed Mundus killed Sparda, if you so bent out on taking Eva from the scales) Your refusal to believe it, doesn't really change anything.

You're the one ignoring sh!t in the game dude. For f#ck's sake, this entire discussion and your platform in this very debate is entirely based on you ignoring the fact that Dante wants to protect people, with bullsh!t like "oh, an unopened business is tantamount to not wanting to protect people".

You're ignoring facts in the game, I'm ignoring the bullsh!t you keep trying to say is in the game and you can't back up with anything that's actually in the game.

Well you may want to believe it. But there is about dozen people who think otherwise.

Yeah, it's all popular theory. People also love to pair up fictional characters, but it's not fact. However, I was never talking about anything beyond what is said in the game, and if there are other people who believe what you do, they're believing headcanon as well.

It based on your speculation, because if you agree with it, it pretty much breaks mythos that all characters in DMC flat.

It's not speculation at all, you can see everything that I mentioned right in the game. Plus...yeah...most characters are one-dimensional in the Devil May Cry franchise, other than Dante, because he's had the virtue of appearing in four games and an anime that adds dimension to him. Vergil was an antagonist in one game, said little more that "power power Sparda power power", and then was a silent hunk of armor in another with no personality.

There is much more things Vergil COULD have done, yet he didn't . He could have finished Dante instead of just taking his medalion. He could have killed Lady in one blow. He could have recover before fighting Mundus head-on.

And yet that sh!t does virtually nothing for his character that we don't already know! He doesn't kill Lady, because f#ck other people, why bother with a human? Especially considering he walked past her on his way to do something way more important. That scene of Lady hearing someone (Vergil) walk past her served only to hint to the player that Vergil was alive, it could have totally been taken out and nothing would have changed, because the two characters did not interact - we didn't see Vergil.

Vergil doesn't recover before fighting Mundus because Vergil's an arrogant, selfish prick who thinks he can't be beat. Then of course there's the more important fact that Mundus was right f#cking there - there was no time for Vergil to recover. Maybe Vergil could have run away, but that's not Vergil's style, and Mundus probably would have just laser speared him in the back.

About the only thing that is expanded on slightly is that he'll give Dante a chance to walk away, but he still has no qualms with damn-near murdering him to still get what he wants. If Vergil wasn't hungry for power (his one-and-only motivation), then he wouldn't even be fighting Dante.

Yet you refuse to see all those facts pretending they are just some mistakes in game.

I don't see them as mistakes in the game, you're just making small, incidental details into pseudo-significant malarkey.

Vergil has absolutely no other motive in DMC3 than "f#ck everyone, get power". Seriously, just accept it and let your logical fallacy die.

You know, not all fiction present only what you've shown. There is sometimes no need to explain any action in words.

Of course not all fiction has to spell out everything for the reader, but even more importantly you can't make sh!t up and throw that against the facts that do exist in the piece of fiction.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Oh, and rewatching the cutscenes to DMC3, Vergil totally tried to cut Lady in two when she interrupted his and Dante's second fight. So, your point of not killing Lady is slightly off to begin with - he was willing to kill her when she was in his way. When she wasn't in his way, he didn't care.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
You dense mother f#cker. A business not being open has literally nothing to do with Dante's desire to protect people and kill demons. He started the business because he wanted to protect people, his business not being open doesn't remove the function of the business itself.

Learn. To. F#cking. Read.
So now you basically back down on your own words. You just said his business already existed, now you just make 180° and start telling it doesn't matter...ok :p

"It's been over a year since we last met." Dante says that twice (going up to Temen-ni-Gru, and just before their first fight in the game). Dante says they faced off a year prior to DMC3's start, so these tussles over their ideals isn't the first.
There is not a single source that can confirm what happened prior an year. And there should have been some point where their opinion divided. Because you know, otherwise there weren't even ideals to part them.

You're the one ignoring sh!t in the game dude. For f#ck's sake, this entire discussion and your platform in this very debate is entirely based on you ignoring the fact that Dante wants to protect people, with bullsh!t like "oh, an unopened business is tantamount to not wanting to protect people".

You're ignoring facts in the game, I'm ignoring the bullsh!t you keep trying to say is in the game and you can't back up with anything that's actually in the game.
Actually it's you who didn't based your facts on anything from the game. In the end we know Dante started his quest for revenge. So he and Vergil are basically have same initial goal. Problem is Dante is on the human sides, so he is closer to his mother, while Vergil decided to take demon's pass, so he closer to his father. Whole plot is about duality. Just like Arkham is polar oposite of Sparda.

Yeah, it's all popular theory. People also love to pair up fictional characters, but it's not fact. However, I was never talking about anything beyond what is said in the game, and if there are other people who believe what you do, they're believing headcanon as well.
Well you know, Itsuno done nothing to disprove it, and he definitely knows what he made. So I assume this pretty much confirms that this beyond simple theory it's possibility.

It's not speculation at all, you can see everything that I mentioned right in the game. Plus...yeah...most characters are one-dimensional in the Devil May Cry franchise, other than Dante, because he's had the virtue of appearing in four games and an anime that adds dimension to him. Vergil was an antagonist in one game, said little more that "power power Sparda power power", and then was a silent hunk of armor in another with no personality.
We know Vergil and Dante were getting alone in childhood. You basically dismiss it and tries to make out is if Vergil only tries to quire power and he didn't has any other traits. Well it's just not possible because otherwise there weren't getting alone with Dante at all.

And yet that sh!t does virtually nothing for his character that we don't already know! He doesn't kill Lady, because f#ck other people, why bother with a human? Especially considering he walked past her on his way to do something way more important. That scene of Lady hearing someone (Vergil) walk past her served only to hint to the player that Vergil was alive, it could have totally been taken out and nothing would have changed, because the two characters did not interact - we didn't see Vergil..
So he does bother killing Arkham but not Lady, yet both humans...kinda contradicting xD Also I'm talking about their fight scene, where Vergil warns Lady before attacking her. He could have killed her just as easy as Arkham.

Vergil doesn't recover before fighting Mundus because Vergil's an arrogant, selfish prick who thinks he can't be beat. Then of course there's the more important fact that Mundus was right f#cking there - there was no time for Vergil to recover. Maybe Vergil could have run away, but that's not Vergil's style, and Mundus probably would have just laser speared him in the back..
How high probability that he basically fallen on Mundus' head? That's pretty impossible, unless hell is just one big room.

About the only thing that is expanded on slightly is that he'll give Dante a chance to walk away, but he still has no qualms with damn-near murdering him to still get what he wants. If Vergil wasn't hungry for power (his one-and-only motivation), then he wouldn't even be fighting Dante.
Dante was obstacle. Yet he kept him alive nonetheless.

I don't see them as mistakes in the game, you're just making small, incidental details into pseudo-significant malarkey.

Vergil has absolutely no other motive in DMC3 than "f#ck everyone, get power". Seriously, just accept it and let your logical fallacy die..
Well, you can of course make even more stuff up. Unless creator flat out says it's not true, there is not a single solid proof evidence you can provide to prove that revenge and childhood's loss wasn't reason why he desired power.

Of course not all fiction has to spell out everything for the reader, but even more importantly you can't make sh!t up and throw that against the facts that do exist in the piece of fiction.
That is for which purpose such small tips exist in fiction. To give you impression of something. You just try to reduce their importance, but they still there. You just prefer to ignore them.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
So now you basically back down on your own words. You just said his business already existed, now you just make 180° and start telling it doesn't matter...ok :p

That is not at all what I said. I told you from the very beginning that Dante wanting to protect people by killing demons (which is his business) was his intention long before he started the business. In DMC3, the business was pretty much set up, and only needed a name and to actually "open for business". Even without the business being open, his intentions still existed.

In all reality, the business is completely besides the point to Dante's willingness to protect. Vergil was talking about Dante and his desire to protect people, and how without power, he wouldn't be able to do it. Absolutely no Eva was mentioned her.

Actually, looking back on it, his business may very well have been open at the time. He refers to Arkham as a "customer" when he shows up in his office, and as we've seen from DMC1, Dante refuses jobs that don't have demons in them, requiring a password to take a job. When he declines a job in the beginning of DMC1, he says "Sorry, we closed at X" (can't remember the time exactly off the top of my head), but then laments that they didn't have the password. In DMC3, Dante's "Sorry, not open for business just yet" could very well be him declining someone who doesn't have his password.

Either his business was open, or it wasn't. Either way though, Dante's desire to protect people existed long before the business' inception. The business is just a front anyway, so even without the Devil May Cry office he'd still be killing demons and saving people, the business just makes it way easier.

There is not a single source that can confirm what happened prior an year. And there should have been some point where their opinion divided. Because you know, otherwise there weren't even ideals to part them.

Of course there's nothing to tell us what happened then, but by DMC3, Dante has a desire to help people, has a business ready to open up, and one seems to be advertised if he's already getting calls asking for his help. Vergil even told Arkham to get see Dante at his office - chances are extremely likely that they've heard or seen Dante's advertisements.

Actually it's you who didn't based your facts on anything from the game. In the end we know Dante started his quest for revenge. So he and Vergil are basically have same initial goal. Problem is Dante is on the human sides, so he is closer to his mother, while Vergil decided to take demon's pass, so he closer to his father. Whole plot is about duality. Just like Arkham is polar oposite of Sparda.

Except we know for certain what Dante's purpose might be, there's nothing but a vague assumption to say that Vergil felt the same, he literally does nothing to denote that he's motivated to get power because of Eva's death - all we know is that he's motivated to get power, and what mentions are made of their family is always about Sparda. Eva never seems to be a factor for Vergil in the game, because there is never any evidence to make us think as such - Dante never even talks about Eva, either.

Well you know, Itsuno done nothing to disprove it, and he definitely knows what he made. So I assume this pretty much confirms that this beyond simple theory it's possibility.

Seriously...? Because Itsuno doesn't run around on the internet disproving people of every theory, that means it's true? That does absolutely nothing for your side of the argument. Like, at all...

We know Vergil and Dante were getting alone in childhood.

In childhood suuuure, but something certainly happened to change the way they interact with each other. However, we have no clue exactly what that is - the only thing they were both a part of was Eva's (and seemingly Vergil's) death, but that's only mentioned in passing, and Dante is the only one we can be sure of who was motivated by that fact.

You basically dismiss it and tries to make out is if Vergil only tries to quire power and he didn't has any other traits. Well it's just not possible because otherwise there weren't getting alone with Dante at all.

Dismissing how they were as children is not something I did. Vergil's current actions are what paint the kind of character he is in DMC3, and a one-note "they got along as kids" does nearly nothing to change that.

So he does bother killing Arkham but not Lady, yet both humans...kinda contradicting xD

Except Arkham was very clearly no longer a normal human being. Vergil watched his face f#cking pulsate with evil or some sh!t when they met. He was more than human, even controlling lesser demons. Lady was just a chick with a rocket launcher.

Also I'm talking about their fight scene, where Vergil warns Lady before attacking her. He could have killed her just as easy as Arkham.

When the hell is this? The only time Vergil and Lady ever interact is when she tries to fight them while they're fighting, and Dante is the one who tells her "Sorry, this is no place for a little girl, so beat it", Vergil calls her foolish for thinking he tricked Arkham into helping, just before Dante jumps back in to the fight. That's the only time they exchanged words or fought, right after Dante and Vergil's second fight.

How high probability that he basically fallen on Mundus' head? That's pretty impossible, unless hell is just one big room.

Those three red orbs where Mundus' presence, and in DMC1 he murdered Griffon with lightning bolts using them. Not that it really matters, Vergil lost either way.

Dante was obstacle. Yet he kept him alive nonetheless.

Yeah, he has a very small soft spot for his brother, that got harder and harder every time they fought. He was willing to leave him maimed first, then drain his blood away second, and then outright murder him for his amulet third. They're one-note relationship broke down.

Well, you can of course make even more stuff up. Unless creator flat out says it's not true, there is not a single solid proof evidence you can provide to prove that revenge and childhood's loss wasn't reason why he desired power.

So you're falling back on needing the word of God to prove you wrong? Hope you can breathe with your head so deep in the sand.

Also - I never once said that it wasn't possible that Vergil could have greater motivation, I only said that the game never presents anything greater that "f#ck everyone, get power". However, that's exactly how it is when the character is so one-dimensional - there's so many possibilities simply because so little was done.

Most of what everyone believes is headcanon, even if some of that has some decent theory based on elements present in the franchise, it's still headcanon - really, you need word of God to prove you right, more than anything. At least I'm going off of everything that's in the game and not explaining headcanon as irrefutable fact.

That is for which purpose such small tips exist in fiction. To give you impression of something. You just try to reduce their importance, but they still there. You just prefer to ignore them.

Dude, don't talk to me like that. You're the one making up sh!t to support your argument, I was throwing stuff at you that was in the game line for line.

You're the one with the logical fallacies, not me.

Zero

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
It's not that any character in Devil May Cry lacks depth. However, due to sloppy writing and/or story presentation, it makes them all appear to have less depth than they actually do. What I mean is, the way its presented is sloppy because Vergil has 3 games and a manga (not counting non-canon novel with Gilver) where you get to see a glimpses of his past and motivations. That and, you only see Vergil through Dante's POV.

If you're looking at ONLY DMC3, yeah, I can see where he appears to "lack depth", but you have to look at the bigger picture. Look at ALL the information given to you through DMC3, DMC1, and DMC4 plus the manga. Even Lady and Lucia have a back story and their own motivations, obviously so does Vergil. Whether or not he appears "flat" to someone is just a matter of opinion. Look at the character and ask yourself "Why do they act like that?"

There is much more to Vergil than meets the eye, same goes for any character in DMC. Don't ignore all that information just because you don't like the character. Use educated guesses to fill in the blanks, because the games have never been story focused and they are never going to explain it all for you.

~~~

I think since he was the "older" brother and the stronger of the two, he considered daddy's power (Force Edge) to be his birthright. When Dante defeats him (3rd fight) he concedes that power to Dante and decides to go through with his original mission to kill Mundus using only his OWN power, which unfortunately for him, wasn't enough.

Of course like I said before, it's not like that was ever stated in the games, just an educated guess, speculation, my own head-canon, whatever you want to call it.

"If my father did it, I should be able to do it too" - I took that as meaning fight Mundus using only his own strength. Just because he doesn't mention Eva doesn't mean he wasn't doing it for revenge. The quote was more about himself than anything to do with his parents.

~~~~

Vergil, I believe, may have known all along how to awaken Dante's power. Wanting Dante to be able to protect himself, should something happen to Vergil, he impaled Dante to provide him with the power to protect himself.

I agree with this, I also thought he awakened Dante's DT on purpose. He already had his so he had to have known how to do it.
However, I don't think it was because he particularly cared about Dante. I think it was as a "Plan B" in case he failed to destroy Mundus, Dante would do it in his stead.

Last edited:

The Final Offer

Let me just post some solid things the DMC crowd has known for years.

Perfect Amulet- Given to Dante and Vergil from their mother Eva.
"No one can have this Dante."-Vergil

Vergil's motivation for power was his mother's death. He had a logical reason to go evil. He watched his mother get killed by an army of demons.

In DMC 3 ,Vergil is evil and craves nothing more than enough power to control everything. This personality trait is implemented in DmC's Vergil.

Saying that Vergil is one dimension is simply an opinion or a hint at one's lack of knowledge of the character.

-Vergil wanted power by any means, but he lived through a code.
- Though evil, Vergil has shown mercy on the innocent or the weak.
-As Nelo Angelo Vergil would not attack someone from behind. Which means, his code of honor is embedded into his DNA voiding any alterations that were too weak to hold them at bay.
-Vergil reads to gain knowledge and uses this knowledge to help him in his quest for power.
-Vergil doesn't show fear towards anything.
-He sees guns as weapons suited for the weak, not for a warrior.
-Vergil has no tolerance for failure nor insubordination.
-Vergil is capable of listening to reason during heated moments.
-Vergil dislikes alcoholic beverages, but still accepts a challenge from Dante, loses and swears off of it. Dat rivalry complex.

This entire thread is based off of what we all know about Vergil from each and every story he's been in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom