• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil's True Mission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Vergil has 3 games and a manga (not counting non-canon novel with Gilver) where you get to see a glimpses of his past and motivations.

Vergil was only present as himself in one game though, DMC3 - Nelo Angelo was a poor husk of a man in enslavement, he wasn't in DMC2, and DMC4 only mentions Vergil as a brother and it's way more about the Yamato than Vergil. DMC3 was the one chance they had to expand his character so far.

The manga is also of dubious canonicity because it contradicts many things in DMC3, plus it's unfinished, throwing so much up in the air :(

The only things that can truly be considered canon are the games themselves, and even then the narrative gets slightly jacked :/

Don't ignore all that information just because you don't like the character. Use educated guesses to fill in the blanks, because the games have never been story focused and they are never going to explain it all for you.

I'm not ignoring anything. It's just that most of what is ever proposed is literally just theory and assumption that can't be put solidly. Educated guesses to fill in the blanks doesn't truly fill in the blanks, because it's our guesswork that's filling in actual blanks.

You can't excuse a one-dimensional character simply because you can assume a lot about them - the fact that you have a lot to room to assume about the character is actually a bad thing. Great for discussion and theorycrafting, but bad for the character itself.

The quote was more about himself than anything to do with his parents.

That's something I've been saying this whole, all of Vergil's motivations come off as wholly selfish. There's nothing in the game that provides incite that he does what he does for something else, or some greater cause :p

-Vergil wanted power by any means, but he lived through a code.
- Though evil, Vergil has shown mercy on the innocent or the weak.
-As Nelo Angelo Vergil would not attack someone from behind. Which means, his code of honor is embedded into his DNA voiding any alterations that were too weak to hold them at bay.
-Vergil reads to gain knowledge and uses this knowledge to help him in his quest for power.
-Vergil doesn't show fear towards anything.
-He sees guns as weapons suited for the weak, not for a warrior.
-Vergil has no tolerance for failure nor insubordination.
-Vergil is capable of listening to reason during heated moments.
-Vergil dislikes alcoholic beverages, but still accepts a challenge from Dante, loses and swears off of it. Dat rivalry complex.

This entire thread is based off of what we all know about Vergil from each and every story he's been in.

To be quite frank, Vergil didn't have as much honor as everyone likes to think he does. People seem to associate his Samurai-like demeanor with some sort of code of ethics, but Vergil has killed for such petty and dishonorable reasons - he kills an unarmed Arkham because he's just done with him. Hell, he gave zero sh!ts for all the people in the city that he put at risk by raising Temen-ni-gru, too. He's not an honorable man.

Having a code of conduct when it comes to battle, however, like not wanting to use guns, is just something he feels strongly about - proving your worth through your own power. Hey look at that, we're back to power again >.<

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Actually, looking back on it, his business may very well have been open at the time. He refers to Arkham as a "customer" when he shows up in his office, and as we've seen from DMC1, Dante refuses jobs that don't have demons in them, requiring a password to take a job. When he declines a job in the beginning of DMC1, he says "Sorry, we closed at X" (can't remember the time exactly off the top of my head), but then laments that they didn't have the password. In DMC3, Dante's "Sorry, not open for business just yet" could very well be him declining someone who doesn't have his password.
Well considering DMC3 is prequel it's pretty logic that it was his first day in buro. Besides it was pretty clear he was still closed, since he officially opens in the end of the game. And remember he didn't heard what's being said on telefon he shots him off from the beginning with "we're closed yet."

Except we know for certain what Dante's purpose might be, there's nothing but a vague assumption to say that Vergil felt the same, he literally does nothing to denote that he's motivated to get power because of Eva's death - all we know is that he's motivated to get power, and what mentions are made of their family is always about Sparda. Eva never seems to be a factor for Vergil in the game, because there is never any evidence to make us think as such - Dante never even talks about Eva, either.
We know for certain that Dante and Vergil fought alongside in the past. I doubt it would be remotely possible if Vergil was straight evil as Arkham.

Seriously...? Because Itsuno doesn't run around on the internet disproving people of every theory, that means it's true? That does absolutely nothing for your side of the argument. Like, at all...
That doesn't proves you're right either. And honestly it's pretty stupid to write backstory for ALL characters except Vergil. Because even Sanctus had more motivation than Vergil by your logic.

In childhood suuuure, but something certainly happened to change the way they interact with each other. However, we have no clue exactly what that is - the only thing they were both a part of was Eva's (and seemingly Vergil's) death, but that's only mentioned in passing, and Dante is the only one we can be sure of who was motivated by that fact..
We also know they have battle experience in fighting alongside, something that happened later than in childhood.

Except Arkham was very clearly no longer a normal human being. Vergil watched his face f#cking pulsate with evil or some sh!t when they met. He was more than human, even controlling lesser demons. Lady was just a chick with a rocket launcher.
Arkham was sorcerer but still human. Something Vergil mocked him about.

When the hell is this? The only time Vergil and Lady ever interact is when she tries to fight them while they're fighting, and Dante is the one who tells her "Sorry, this is no place for a little girl, so beat it", Vergil calls her foolish for thinking he tricked Arkham into helping, just before Dante jumps back in to the fight. That's the only time they exchanged words or fought, right after Dante and Vergil's second fight..
ok, maybe I forgot this part.

Yeah, he has a very small soft spot for his brother, that got harder and harder every time they fought. He was willing to leave him maimed first, then drain his blood away second, and then outright murder him for his amulet third. They're one-note relationship broke down.
Well no sense giving redeeming qualities even in the beginning if he was only about power.

Also - I never once said that it wasn't possible that Vergil could have greater motivation, I only said that the game never presents anything greater that "f#ck everyone, get power". However, that's exactly how it is when the character is so one-dimensional - there's so many possibilities simply because so little was done.

Most of what everyone believes is headcanon, even if some of that has some decent theory based on elements present in the franchise, it's still headcanon - really, you need word of God to prove you right, more than anything. At least I'm going off of everything that's in the game and not explaining headcanon as irrefutable fact.
I still remind you of all those little tips you get along the game that you prefer to ignore.

Dude, don't talk to me like that. You're the one making up sh!t to support your argument, I was throwing stuff at you that was in the game line for line.

You're the one with the logical fallacies, not me.
So far the only thing I mentioned and wasn't in game was part with a Lady, since I forgot what exactly he said to her. It's you who is headstrong tries to prove that he was just flat villain who only cared about power without any backstory or motivation.

The Final Offer

To be quite frank, Vergil didn't have as much honor as everyone likes to think he does. People seem to associate his Samurai-like demeanor with some sort of code of ethics, but Vergil has killed for such petty and dishonorable reasons - he kills an unarmed Arkham because he's just done with him. Hell, he gave zero sh!ts for all the people in the city that he put at risk by raising Temen-ni-gru, too. He's not an honorable man.

Having a code of conduct when it comes to battle, however, like not wanting to use guns, is just something he feels strongly about - proving your worth through your own power. Hey look at that, we're back to power again >.<

"Never show that face before me again." -Vergil to Trish (UMVC3) reason:
"How repulsive..." -Vergil to Trish (UMC3)

If Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 didn't do anything to seal away that "One dimensional" character ordeal of yours. Then why are you even in here?

UMVC3 is exactly how everyone envisions Vergil. Alot of his text quotes in the game are also honorable. I might dig them up, but then again let me ask Vergil.

What do you think he'd say?

Last edited:

Zero

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Vergil was only present as himself in one game though, DMC3 - Nelo Angelo was a poor husk of a man in enslavement, he wasn't in DMC2, and DMC4 only mentions Vergil as a brother and it's way more about the Yamato than Vergil. DMC3 was the one chance they had to expand his character so far.

The manga is also of dubious canonicity because it contradicts many things in DMC3, plus it's unfinished, throwing so much up in the air :(

The only things that can truly be considered canon are the games themselves, and even then the narrative gets slightly jacked :/

I know. Pity about the manga, I really liked it.

This is true, but there are a lot of things in the series that are a common belief, but never stated in the games themselves. For example, "They received the amulets at the age of 8, DMC is 20 years later therefore Dante is 28"

Maybe I'm missing something but I never saw the 8 years old thing anywhere other than the wiki. But I suppose that's a discussion for another thread.

I'm not ignoring anything. It's just that most of what is ever proposed is literally just theory and assumption that can't be put solidly. Educated guesses to fill in the blanks doesn't truly fill in the blanks, because it's our guesswork that's filling in actual blanks.

You can't excuse a one-dimensional character simply because you can assume a lot about them - the fact that you have a lot to room to assume about the character is actually a bad thing. Great for discussion and theorycrafting, but bad for the character itself.

Apologies, my statement wasn't directed at you. There were just a lot of posts just saying "he's flat blah blah" without giving any reason for or leaving room for civil discussion. You did give your reasons.

Nothing wrong with discussing theories! =) At this point, headcanon is really all we have to go on.

That's something I've been saying this whole, all of Vergil's motivations come off as wholly selfish. There's nothing in the game that provides incite that he does what he does for something else, or some greater cause :p

Maybe that's why some of us like him, he's selfish and cold. Dante's whole "selfless hero saving the innocent" thing gets kind of old.
...I'm clearly biased towards bad guys. XD

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
Dante's whole "selfless hero saving the innocent" thing gets kind of old.

you know from what i'v seen Dante doesn't really save the innocent all that much
in the last 2 anime episodes and DMC4 he lets allot of people die when he could have saved the day/them much sooner
now i'm not saying Dante doesn't want to save people but he's not all that good at it

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well considering DMC3 is prequel it's pretty logic that it was his first day in buro. Besides it was pretty clear he was still closed, since he officially opens in the end of the game. And remember he didn't heard what's being said on telefon he shots him off from the beginning with "we're closed yet."

It was a thought. Either way, Dante's desire to protect people still remains something that inspired his business in the first place. It's not like Dante is unwilling to protect people when he's "off the clock".

We know for certain that Dante and Vergil fought alongside in the past.

How do we know that they ever fought together? Literally nothing throughout the entirety of the franchise alludes to such a thing.

I doubt it would be remotely possible if Vergil was straight evil as Arkham.

And therein lies the problem, there's nothing to tell us otherwise, or tell us more. Granted, Vergil isn't "evil", he's just a power-hungry jerk. Certainly an antagonist, but he's not strictly evil for evil's sake, we just don't know.

That doesn't proves you're right either. And honestly it's pretty stupid to write backstory for ALL characters except Vergil. Because even Sanctus had more motivation than Vergil by your logic.

Except everything I said was facts laid out by the game, everything you've said is conjecture an theory, stuff that you assume.

Sanctus was pretty meh as a villain too. That is part of why Devil May Cry as a franchise has a subpar narrative - characters have just enough motivation to be something, but the only ones that ever have a chance to get more dimensions are the ones that have multiple appearances that are able to be expanded on, and the only one that's had that was Dante, and Nero, because half a game was all about him - and even then they didn't go into the things we really wanted to know about him.

We also know they have battle experience in fighting alongside, something that happened later than in childhood.

They have fighting experience, but there's still nothing to say they have fought alongside before. Dante intimately knows how to use any weapon he just received, and the brothers adapt well. They may have goofed off together as kids (like what was shown in DmC), but there's still nothing that says they fought together.

Arkham was sorcerer but still human. Something Vergil mocked him about.

Still a threat that he felt needed to be dealt with. Plus, when he passed up Lady, it was after he realized how totally not worth it it was to bother engaging her. He trounced her in one swing, why bother with someone that weak when there are more pressing matters at hand, y'know?

Well no sense giving redeeming qualities even in the beginning if he was only about power.

"F#ck everyone, get power" is Vergil's motivation. His one-note relationship with Dante isn't the same.

I still remind you of all those little tips you get along the game that you prefer to ignore.

I just talked about "all those little tips" that didn't do anything to expand his character. You literally just replied to them.

So far the only thing I mentioned and wasn't in game was part with a Lady, since I forgot what exactly he said to her. It's you who is headstrong tries to prove that he was just flat villain who only cared about power without any backstory or motivation.

No, you keep telling me your interpretations of things in the game. Vergil is an antagonist with very one-dimensional motives, and the game doesn't present us with anything else that explains his motivations or inspirations for anything he does. You cannot point to anything within the game that doesn't require some sort of assumption or guesswork to explain.

"Never show that face before me again." -Vergil to Trish (UMVC3) reason:
"How repulsive..." -Vergil to Trish (UMC3)

If Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 didn't do anything to seal away that "One dimensional" character ordeal of yours. Then why are you even in here?

UMVC3 is exactly how everyone envisions Vergil. Alot of his text quotes in the game are also honorable. I might dig them up, but then again let me ask Vergil.

What do you think he'd say?

Those aren't even part of DMC, though, and all they do is point to Vergil not liking that some demon has his mother's face. It does nothing to show explain some sense of greater motivation beyond what he showed in DMC3.

Even all of his quotes in UMvC3 are simply in line with his personality as shown in DMC3 - arrogance, vilifying weakness, singing praise of power and strength, and embracing power that is otherwise suppressed. That and whining about guns. Being honorable denotes a great deal of respect and Vergil shows very little respect of pretty much anyone - even those who could beat him he regards with smugness and arrogance. He's not an honorable fellow.

Cool, confident, and arrogant, but not honorable.

This is true, but there are a lot of things in the series that are a common belief, but never stated in the games themselves. For example, "They received the amulets at the age of 8, DMC is 20 years later therefore Dante is 28"

Maybe I'm missing something but I never saw the 8 years old thing anywhere other than the wiki. But I suppose that's a discussion for another thread.

Yeah, in DMC1 there's that audio flashback where Eva says "Dante, Vergil, happy birthday" in a very blatant exposition-y kinda way >.< Then we know it's been at least twenty years because of what Eva says at the beginning of DMC1. I don't remember anything about them being eight, either.

Apologies, my statement wasn't directed at you. There were just a lot of posts just saying "he's flat blah blah" without giving any reason for or leaving room for civil discussion. You did give your reasons.

Nothing wrong with discussing theories! =) At this point, headcanon is really all we have to go on.

Oh, sorreh >.<

Maybe that's why some of us like him, he's selfish and cold. Dante's whole "selfless hero saving the innocent" thing gets kind of old.
...I'm clearly biased towards bad guys. XD

Hey, more often than not the bad guys tend to be a bit more interesting. The dark hero and anti-hero got really popular in the face of all the boy scout heroes that were so huge for so long.

And don't get me wrong, people. I like Vergil as a character, much in the same way I like Dante as a character. They do cool **** and Vergil has a very cool demeanor that I like as a counter to the ninja turtle that is Dante. I just have no problem admitting his motivations are flat and he doesn't have much else going on.

The Final Offer

This whole thread is being derailed because one person wants to try and say that Vergil is one dimensional. When we've been discussing everything that makes him more than that. These are the facts. Vergil has an unshakeable belief in power being able to control everything.

Now since it was stated that Vergil was just saying that to Dante, it wasn't. UMVC3 uses it as a basis for who Vergil is and what he believes in. In Vergil's eyes, everyone is in his way, and he's going to run them over. He doesn't have to do this and he shows mercy to them by telling them "stay out of my way."

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
This whole thread is being derailed because one person wants to try and say that Vergil is one dimensional. When we've been discussing everything that makes him more than that. These are the facts.

Some of them facts, most of it bloated conjecture that makes Vergil something more than what he really is.

And c'mon man, you asked what people thought of his mission and motivations, and I gave my answer. It created more discussion which was the point. It's not my fault there's disagreement on that.

Vergil has an unshakeable belief in power being able to control everything.

Now since it was stated that Vergil was just saying that to Dante, it wasn't. UMVC3 uses it as a basis for who Vergil is and what he believes in. In Vergil's eyes, everyone is in his way, and he's going to run them over. He doesn't have to do this and he shows mercy to them by telling them "stay out of my way."

Yeah, and that's all there is to him. Everything else is theory and headcanon. He wanted power, and...that's it. Everything else is extrapolation based off of assumptions and possibilities, not actual definitive content from the game.

---------------------------------------

And here's the thing, I'm not saying that's intrinsically bad. It's certainly bad if things were being held up to lofty standard as super-great writing, but no, that's not Devil May Cry. Devil May Cry's cast of characters aren't made to be deep and enthralling, they're just cool people that do cool sh!t (sans Kyrie, she got fridged real quick), the entire series is built around a power fantasy - making you feel cool. Much like in action movies, the story isn't really supposed to do much other that get the audience from one explosion to the next. Dante is the deepest character in Devil May Cry and he's still not overly deep, but that's okay.

Headcanon is perfectly fine, it's just silly when it gets passed off as fact.

Last edited:

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Not being able to admit to character flaws is one thing that irritates me about the fanbase.

The only time Dante & Vergil ever fought together on the same team for an extended amount of time was in the novel which was deleted.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Not being able to admit to character flaws is one thing that irritates me about the fanbase.

The only time Dante & Vergil ever fought together on the same team for an extended amount of time was in the novel which was deleted.

Uwwaaaaah? Which novel? I dun remember this.

The Final Offer

Zero, no. You don't make it out to seem like the fanbase is full of people who believe there's no flaws in the character.

Listen, Vergil has a fanbase because people like his personality and his inability to accept defeat. If anything he's just like Light Yagami.

The Final Offer

Headcanon is not being passed on as fact. It is just an opinion alot of us agree with when it comes to Vergil. The guy chose an honorable defeat, but got a dishonorable loss only to re-retrieve his honorable death.

He chose to die with honor and even after he was turned into a "mindless" puppet, he still managed to get it!

If that isn't some respectable **** then I don't know what is.

Ha. So even if Vergil was giving out honorable deaths (like he is), he still isn't honorable?

If Vergil doesn't use dirty tactics in combat and would die before fighting dirty, that doesn't make him honorable?

If Vergil is showing you respect by not sucker punching you, is that not honorable?

No matter how noble Vergil actually is, he will never be honorable in any way shape or form because he killed people? I'll admit, that's not the honorable thing to do...from the perspective of human beings. Though, Vergil is selfish when it comes to his mission, he goes about those who stand in his way in the most honorable fashion.

If you ever run into Vergil and he's out to kill you, expect to be respected by Vergil. Hell, he may even handicap himself to place you two on even ground. Oh wait...there I go...assuming Vergil will give me an honorable death based on the facts of his personality.

Oh and if Vergil knows you have some reputation (because he reads up on this s***) then he will talk down on you if you aren't giving him what he thinks is a challenging fight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom