• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 3 Style Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowNinja X7

Re: Style Help

Yea, Gunslinger is the only style I havn't gotten to lvl. 3 as well. I just don't use guns much period, which is a habit I'm in the process of breaking right now. I'm working on a triple point blank Shotgun blast Quicksilver combo for my next vid, hopefully practicing it will help me break my anti-gun habit.

Noxotic

lol, I'm working on a big combo too, but I don't have any recording equipment>_< ......
I'm just not used to guns as the circle buttons so thats why I hardly use it.

maverick7

I think that Trickster is the best style out of every one. Once you get to level 3, you can do all these cool moves.

ShadowNinja X7

Trickster-

Overview:Trickster is a versatile style which mainly consists of evasion moves, including dashing, wall running and teleporting. All of Tricksters moves have invinibility frames of some sort, and all can be used for just evasion, which is one of the most useful moves in Devil May Cry 3. But more about that later.

Lvl.1-Dash, Wall Run
Lvl.2-Double Dash, Sky Star
Lvl.3-Triple Dash, Air Trick

Dash/Double Dash/Triple Dash-

Dash is the ground evasion move of Trickster (Initiated by a press of O), and is simply a quick dash which at Lvl.3, can be done up to 3 times in a row. Only the first dash has invinibility frames though, so beware of that. Dashing at just the right time can result in a Just Evasion manuever, which is very helpful. Most Pros don't find this move helpful, but I still often use it. Its also very helpful for getting around enemys quickly. Overall its only a meh move, but the first dash still saves my butt a lot.

Sky Star-

Ah, the beloved Air Version of Dash (O in the air). It has more invincibility frames, but can only be used once at a time. Many pros prefer to use a low jump and Sky Star to dodge attacks, as this combined move has many more invincibility frames then a normal ground dash. This is also a helpful move in just getting around, as when combined with Air Trick creates some cool doding and manueverability only capable by Trickster. I like this move and often use the low jump->Sky Star to dodge attacks. This will be one of your most usefull moves once you get good at using Trickster.

Air Trick-

Used by pressing R1+Forward+O, this is a teleport that puts Dante in the air next to the enemy. Usefull in Guerilla tacitcs, Jump Cancel, Sky Star away to dodge any attacks then Air Trick back and attack. This is a very effective tactic. Sky Star is good for setting up Aerial Attacks on grounded enemys, like Aerial Cross. I mostly use this to get to enemys as fast as possible, but by teleporting at the right time you can also dodge attacks by dissapearing. Its fun to use on Hell Vanguards.

Wall Run-

This move is awsome for gaining absurd amounts of style fast. Press O when near a wall to make Dante either run straight up the wall or tilt the Control Stick left or right to make him run across the wall Matrix style. You can also hold O during a Single Dash or Sky Star to start a wall run, adding lots of invincibility frames (This is usually how I initiate it.) This move is extremely usfull for escaping enemys when your trapped, getting behind enemys, getting a little break from the action and for getting to enemys. This is also great for fighting Spiders. I spend 85% of my time running as walls when I fight them, it makes them really easy when combined with Air Trick and Sky Star. I find running sideways on walls from the ground difficult, but from Sky Star->Wall Run its pretty easy. You can also cancel out of Wall Run at any time by jumping, which is reat for getting behind enemys. Wall run sideways, then jump off, do a stylish flid and land right behind the enemy. Or you can Sky Star before you hit the ground, rebound a couple of attacks and do it all over again, I was really using this move wrong, and I'm going to practice with it MUCH more now, so I'll continually update this guide as I find more uses for it. Many Pros find this move very usefull, and its not hard to see why.

Edit-

Pokey86 has just informed me that there really is no such thing as Just Evasinon. All you have to do is Dash/Sky Star/Wall Run near an enemy that's attacking to gain style.

Double Edit: I finally managed to watch some videos at Thehandvseye at school and all I can say is wow, I am totally wrong about Wall Run. Its really usfull for lots of things, and I'm changing my FAQ now.

One more thing, when you jump cancel, you get another Sky Star, Air hike, Air Trick and Wallrun, which means that you can stay in the air infinitly if under the right circumstances.

Anways, here's my last style guide, now go have fun with Quicksilver, Trickster and Dark Slayer.

Noxotic

Awesome :D . Virgil confirmed that he is going to do Swordmaster or possibly let me do it so were almost done. Just doppelganger from Pokey86 and gunslinger.....
You were a great help. :D

Pokey86

DOPPELGANGER

The 6th Style - Though not the most useful style it does have its own benefits, using after image doubles EVERYTHING Dante does, DT'd enemies stun near instantly when DT'd, basic gunshots become excptionally powerful & you still keep your DT specific abilities & strengths (Though you still lose the ability to fly with Nevan & Glide with Rebellion)
Doppelganger shines in the form of combos, though VERY hard to perform you are rewarded with combos that genuinely look unique, there are of course several tachniques in Doppelgangers arsenal to further define the combos that can be performed.

After Image
Command - R1 + O
"After Image" (AKA "AI") IS Doppelganger, this creates a duplicate of Dante, he keeps the same weapons that he was activated with & is unable to switch them, he follows the same commands as the original dante:

Rebllion + shotgun
ex: R1 + O - /\ /\ /\ - []

This is a very simple combo, the AI (After Image) is activated & is mimicking the Rebellion basic combo, then a shotgun blast, meanwhile the normal Dante is doing the exact same thing at the exact same time. Here is another Example:

Rebellion/Beowulf
ex: R1 + O - R2 - /\ /\ /\ - R1 back /\ (Hold) - /\

This is a slightly more advanced combo, Dante has activated then switched weapon, causing the AI to KEEP Rebellion equipped, they both then proceed to do Beo combo 1 & Rebellion Combo 1, Then while the AI does a rising high-time then a Helm splitter Dante is charging a Beast uppercut & will finish with a rising Dragon.

The After image itself gains adds nothing to the Style meter, this was most likely a ****ermeasure to Doppelganger being spammed to SS DMD using Super Dante. That is the VERY basics of the Doppelganger style, i will now go in to detail of advanced abilities that can be used in Doppelganger.

ADVANCED ABILITIES

2 Player
Command - Start (On second control pad)
This is farely obvious, once activated a second player can utilize the After Image, this has benefits & Drabacks, the camera will wtill only Center around Dante, on the upside combos can be fuly defined, there are no limitations, it also allows Dante to stand back whilst the AI is able to walk in to a large crowd of enemies without fear.

Delay
Command 1 - L1(x 2)
Delay is a commonly known advanced ability of Doppelgangers which delays the actions of the AI, pushing L1 once will delay the AI fo 1/2 a second, pushing it twice will delay it for a full 1 sec. An Example would be:

Rebellion
ex: R1 + O - L2 - L2 - /\ /\ - R1 Back /\ (Hold) - [] [] [] [] []... - Relese /\

This is a simple delay combowhat you are seeing is 2 hits of the basic Reb combo, then a hightime, then several gunshots before landing in to a "Drive." Meanwhile the AI has started the same combo 1 second later & is now juggling the enemy mid air whilst you are preparing drive, as he lands & prepares you have hit the enemy in the air, in which he will land in to the AI's delayed Drive.

Delaysing can only be used once per activation & CAN NOT be turned back, once he is delayed will always be that way until he is de-activated.

Gun Cancelling
As you probably know by now, Artemis, Shotgun have a small lag time whilst K ann & Spiral have a large lagtime, this all can be used for Gun Cancelling. this is the practice of cancelling an AI's attack with a gunshot, it can be used to synch attacks:

Agni & Rudra/Rebellion - Ebony & Ivory/Shotgun
ex: R1 + O - R2 + L2 - [] /\ - /\ - /\ ( Mash /\)

This combo is a prime example of Gun cancelling, the shoguns recovery time has prevented Rebellions first attack to come out whilst E & I's 0 recovery time has allowed Agni & Rudras fist attack to connect, this leads to a synched Million Slash + Million Stab.

Mid-Combo Activation

this is of course activating DG i the middle of a combo, it once aagin adds more variety to the combos that can be performed in DG:

Beowulf
ex: /\ - /\ - ... - /\ - R1 + O - R1 Back + /\ (Hold) - /\ + Release + Hold) - /\ (Release)

this is an advanced combo that also utilizes "Silent Inputs" Dante is activating the AI & Preparing a Rising Dragon ALL during the multi-kick part of Beo combo 2. After the Kick has finished he has immediatel strarted off the Rising dragon while also preparing the final hit of Beo Combo 2, it end with the enemy falling in to the Downward Heel Kick. & yes, it looks sweet.

De-activation Attack

this is a rarely used move (Due to its limited creation capabilities) it mainly revolves around Beowulf but can be used with a few other attacks. It is Deactiviting the AI mid-charge, this cause the AI to finish his move instantly (whether pre-delayed or not) this can make some combo finishers look extra cool:

Beowulf
ex: R1 + O - /\ /\ /\ - R1 + Back /\ (Hold) - R1 + O - /\ (Release + Hold)

What you are seeing here is a very simple De-activation combo, Both the AI & Dante are doing basic combo 1, then during the Chrageing of Beast Uppercut the AI is de-activated which cause it to finish the attack, while the enemy has beemn raised Dante has released his Rising Dragon & cought it in mid air. Looks cool no?

Silent Input

these are inputs MID comboniation, these are VERY hard to catch out & are a big part of DG combos. They are inputs of one move while another weapon is performing another move/charging. These can vary combos greatly but are very hard to actually utilize propperly:

Beowulf/Rebellion + E & I
ex: R1 + O - R2 - R1 Back /\ (Hold) - [] [] [] X [] [] [] X [] [] [] - /\ (Release + Hold)

this is a very simple example of Silent inputs, while the Doppelganger is charging the Rising dragon, Dante has Rising hightimed & is now Juggling the enemy while rebound cancelling, the AI will not attack untill you release, once released he has performed a rising Dragon whilst Dante has performed a Helm Splitter.

Auto-Attack
command - L1 double-Tap

One of the largest parts of Doppelgangers Arsenal of hidden abilities, this Forces the AI to do the next attack in the string you are performing. This Varies combos GREATLY & can make it look like more than one person is playing, these are easy to do in basic form but VERY hard when you add them to combos. They can only be done once per activation & Forces the AI to be in the 1 second Delay after being used.

Agni & Rudra/Cerberus
ex: R1 + O - /\ - ... - /\ - L1 L1 R2 - R1 + Forward + /\

This is fo course slightly more advanced, what is happening is Both Dante & AI are performing the first 2 hits of A & R Combo 2, after the second hit Dante has FORCED the AI to finish the combo (The small flurry of slashes ending with a kick) meanwhile he has switched weapons & started a Revolver with Cerberus

---

Once you have become well acquainted with all the abilities you can start performing combos, mixing & matching the abilities to suit. An example of an "Advanced" Dopelganger combo is here (Try & keep up :p )

Rebellion/Beowulf
ex: R1 + O - /\ - ... - /\ - R2 - R1 Back /\(Hold) - L1 L1 /\ (Release + Hold) - (Release /\) - /\ - /\ - ... - /\ - . - R1 + Back + /\ - /\ (Hold) - R1 + Forward /\ (Hold) - (Release /\)

That is an exceptionally advance comboi'll now explain exactly what s happening. Dante & AI are both performing Rebellion combo 2, after the second hit Dante has switched weapon & is preparing a Rising Dragon while the AI is now doing a Rising Hightime. He has also started an auto attack (double Tap L1) this cause the Helm splitter to come later than usual, which will MAKE the rising dragon have the finishing strike instead of the H-Splitter (the enemy will rise instead of Knockback) during the rising dragon Dante is holding /\, FORCING the AI to charge Drive, once the enemy has fallen Dante has released /\ (Causing the AI to prepare Drive) while that is happening he has started off combo 2, but MID Multi-Kick he has done a "Hightime" "Silent Input" (Keep in mind the AI is now delayed) he prepares the Hell Kick as the Drive hits, smashes the enemy down IN TO the AI's Delayed Hightime, as for a Finale he is NOW charging Dash straight, he relases at the EXACT time as the AI's Stinger

I hope you followed that suficiently:\ it is a tad confusing

Pokey86

Shadowninja, i forgot, but i think it is worth a mention that when using Single Dash holding O will cause you to "Auto" run up the wall, the advatage is that the Invincibility frames 100% seem together, creating a larger opening of iframes that can be done mid attack without worry, it is up to you if you want to add that

ShadowNinja X7

Yea, I kinda forgot about that because it just seems second nature for me to start wall-running that way. I'm adding it now.

Alana

I am currently experimenting with the Gunslinger mode. Hopefully in due time, I shall provide a detailed Faqs with video

devil_may_care

**spoilers**

I wonder what's the fun in Royalguard. Don't you agree that it is the least intereting style? And least useful too. If at least you didn't receive so much damge when blocking...

Or maybe I'm not playing properly in this style?

Noxotic

You only need to practice. Once you get good with it, you can block every attack and do the most damage out of all the styles. It is very hard to master and took me a year, now I can block Spiral Swords 50%+ of the time although it gets my fingers tired when I try to do it for long, lol

Noxotic

Virgil has allowed me to do this faq. :D

Sword Master

Description- Swordmaster allows Dante to accel in Melee arms and gives a bigger variety of attacks for each weapon.

Rebellion
lvl.1-
Aerial Rave-
Dante hits the opponent in mid-air and attacks once for each time the O button is pressed. It can be hit for a maximum of 4 times, but can be JC'd for a while. It's a good follow up to High time or other moves that launch the opponent into the air.
Prop Shredder- Dante spins the Sword in his hand upward and hits the enemy. The O button can be pressed again to make him do it downwards. The enemy can be suspended in mid-air for a while. This is a good move to buffer drive during the meantime. Press O once for upwards spin, and again to do the downwards spin.
RebellionLV1.jpg

lvl.2-
Sword Pierce- Dante throws Rebellion into the enemy and it damages them during the meantime. Press R1+Foward+O to perform. Since you do not have your sword, you have to use 1 of 2 moves. The first is a round-house kick that is done by pressing Triangle. The second is killer bee, a move that beowoulf uses, but no power added to it. Good if you need to get away from the enemy.
RebellionLV2.jpg

lvl.3-
Dance Macabre- Dante goes into a big string of attacks using rebellion and easily raises the Style meter. Press R1+Back+O multiple times for each slash. Easily one of the best moves Rebellion has.
Crazy Dance- When in the million stab animation of Dance Macabre, repeatedly press circle. Dante will plant his sword into the ground and start pole spinning on it. The more you press O, the longer the Spin. After the spin, Dante plants his feet into the ground, grabs Rebellion, and does a powerful Slash around himself. Good for crowd control.
RebellionLV3.jpg

Noxotic

Cerberus:
lvl.1-
Flicker- Press O. Can be used to attack in air or on ground. Good to quickly counter an enemy attack. Also can be used to help JC a move like Sky Dance and stay in the air longer.
CerebusLv1.jpg

lvl.2-
Crystal- A very useful attack that can launch the enemy into the air. Use R1+Foward+O to perform this move. Dante sends Cerberus into the ground, and makes Ice come out in Spikes in front of Dante. A very useful move for combos.
Million Carats- Repeatedly press O during Crystal. Makes a small shield of Ice Spikes surround Dante. Really strong move, when used with combos and Crystal. It is usually good as a finisher and helps stop all enemys around you.
CerebusLv2.jpg

lvl.3-
Ice Age- Dante summons an ivincible Ice Shield to protect himself while damaging the enemy. Excellent when used with launchers like high time(short),twister, or even crystal. Dante is completley invincible when using this.
CerebusLv3.jpg

Noxotic

Agni & Rudra:
lvl.1-
Crossed Swords-Dante swings Agni & Rudra in a cross position. Pretty strong, but also kind of useless and useful depending on which situation your in. Press O while Standing Still.
Sky Dance- One of the most useful moves that Agni & Rudra have. This move can be performed so well with JC'ing, that you can stay in the air infinitley (or at least until the enemy dies.) . Very good move. Press O multiple times in the air.
AngiRudraLv1.jpg

lvl.2-
Crawler- Dante sticks A&R into the ground and send a wave of fire and wind into the enemy. Not useful, but counts as a projectile attack so are good for certain enemys. Press R1+Foward+O to perform.
AngiRudraLv2.jpg

lvl.3-
Twister- One of the top 5 most useful swordmaster abilities that can be used on my list anyways. An excellent launcher that does alot of damage. Really great for combo's and attacks. When used in conjunction with Tempest, becomes the powerhouse of Agni & Rudra.
Tempest-Also one of the top 5 most useful moves in swordmaster abilities for me. Repeatedly press O during Twister. Deals Major damage, and has a wide attack range.
AngiRudraLv3.jpg

Noxotic

Nevan:
lvl.1-
Scythe Slash- Slash in the ground or air wit Nevan. Simply Press O. Its pretty cool to use and a good match for Vanguards:)D ).
NevanLv1.jpg

lvl.2-
Feedback- Dante uses the scythe part of Nevan and spins around in a swift motion. Strong and pretty useful move. Press R1+Foward+O.
Crazy Roll- Repeatedly press O during feedback. Adds a stronger attack and more spins. Great for knocking back enemys and dealing fair damage at the same time.
NevanLv2.jpg

lvl.3-
Distortion- Press R1+Back+O(Hold or press for a second). Dante backs up and charges Nevan full of electricity. The longer O is held, the stronger the attack (you can see by how much electricity is surrounding Dante). Great for damaging an enemy in one big blow. Also can hurt multiple enemys for good damage if aimed right. Only trhing is that you stand still while charging to full strength so you can easily be hit.
NevanLv3.jpg

Noxotic

Beowoulf:
lvl.1-
Zodiac- Similar to Ifrits Meteor from DMC1, it sends a blast of energy from the gauntlet into the enemy knocking them back from a distance.. Difference is, that it is alot weaker. Hold O and release to perform.
Hammer- Knocks the enemy from the air to the ground. Press O in mid-air while next to an enemy to perform.
BeowulfLv1.jpg

lvl.2-
Volcano- Dante smashes his fist into the ground causing a light wave to spread. Similar to Inferno from DMC1 except weaker and doesn't use Devil Trigger. Press R1+Foward+O
BeowulfLv2.jpg

lvl.3-
Real Impact- Dante lowers his fist and uppercuts on the enemy with incredible damage. The most damaging melee attack Dante has. Press R1+Back+O to perform. The lag while charging the uppercut makes it easy for the enemy to damage you.
Tornado- Repeatedly press O during Real Impact. Dante spins in the air kicking the enemy multiple times. Does alot of damage and can be used with hammer, air hike, then volcano for big damage.
BeowulfLv3.jpg

Noxotic

Swordmaster Combos's:
Reb+Cerb.(Start with Cerb)
Triangle, Triangle, Pause, Triangle, Triangle, R2, R1+Back+Triangle, R2, Triangle, JC, Triangle, JC, Triangle, JC, Triangle, JC, R2, Triangle, R1+Foward+Triangle(repeatedly for million stab), Hold Triangle, Release, when Million Stab is over, R2, R1+Foward+O, O Repeatedly.
Reb.+A&R (Start with A&R)
Triangle, Pause, Triangle, Pause, Triangle(Repeatedly for million slash), cancel last slash by buffering R1+Back+O, R2, R1+Back+O(Repeatedly till million stab), R2, R1+Foward+Triangle(tap), R1+Back+O repeatedly, quickly R2, hold Triangle, Release when flames let down.

If anyone has any Swordmaster combos they want to post, feel free.

P.S.- Multiple posts because only 4 pics allowed per post. More combos will come soon.

ShadowNinja X7

devil_may_care said:
I wonder what's the fun in Royalguard. Don't you agree that it is the least intereting style? And least useful too. If at least you didn't receive so much damge when blocking...

Or maybe I'm not playing properly in this style?

I bet that you're just holding the O button to Guard attacks. What you should be doing is Just Guarding, which is pressing O right before an attack hits you. You won't take any damage at all, and parry the enemys attack,.

You can also Just Release, which is using Release right before an attack hits you, causing you to rip through enemys like stinger, and cause massive damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom