• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 3 Style Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noxotic

Ok, I decided to make a thread that helped people use styles for DMC3 . I will only cover one and MIGHT end up doing the Sword Master Faq if Virgil doesn't finish or want to do it. The one I will be covering is Royal Guard.

Description: Royal Guard is a defensive style as well as the most damaging Offensive Styles when used properly. This style is so good, it will allow you to block and charge every single attack that damages you on contact. The only things that you can't block
1-Leviathans Stomach Acid since it doesn't hurt you on contact, but instead burns you after you stood on it for a second.
2-Nevan's Kiss of death, because it doesn't hurt you on contact, it goes into a new animation that drains your health and doesn't do it on contact.
Other than that you can block everything. (Note:You can get out of it by turning Devil Trigger since DT Dante and Vergil have no lips to kiss so no more energy drained)

Moves: Royal Guard's moves are as follows.
Level 1
Block & Charge- This works by holding circle, or tapping it as they enemy attack hits you. If you tap O as the attack hits you, it is known as a Just Guard. There are two versions of it.
Ver.1- Silver Guard- You get a decent style increase, Devil Trigger Increase, and Rage meter increase. You also might take some damage during the process. Faint blue flash shown.
Ver.2- Gold Guard- you get a big Style increase, Devil Trigger increase, and Rage Meter increase. You have to tap O with exact timing in order to perform this. The flash is brighter than silver.
Release- Release is an attack in Royal Guard that reaches its full potential at level 3. When you block or Just Guard it charges up a rage meter (three little balls on the upper left) and charges for a release. As is with Blocking, there are two versions of this.
Ver.1- Silver Release- You need to make a Release just as the enemy attack hits and you do a fair amount of damage, style increase, and Devil Trigger increase.
Ver.2- Gold Release- You need to make a Release just as the enemy attack hits and you , except, the timing needs to be exact. It deals major damage (especially at level three with fully charged rage meter+DTE), Big style increase, and big DT increase.
RoyalguardLv1.jpg

Level 2
Air Block- Same as Blocking, except easier because of invincible frames at the beginning of the jump animation.
Air Release- Same as Releasing, except easier due to invincible frames at beginning of the jump animation.
RoyalguardLv2.jpg

Level Two Rage Meter- Bigger space for Rage attacks and allows more damage for a release.
Level 3
Ultimate- Ultimate isn't really as good as its counter parts on previous levels, but it IS useful for projectile attacks. Example is beowulfs feather attacks that come out and home in on you. (NONE OF VERGIL'S ATTACKS EXCLUDING SPIRAL SWORDS CAN NOT BE STOPPED BY ULTIMATE. YOU CAN BLOCK AND RELEASE ON THEM BUT DO NOT USE ULTIMATE ON THEM!)
RoyalguardLv3.jpg

Level Three Rage meter- Allows for a more powerful release attack. Extremely useful with a Gold Release with a full Rage Meter with fully charged Devil Trigger Explosion(Hold L1 till all symbols besides the first three turn red.). Can even kill Agni AND Rudra on Easy mode in one hit.

Tips and Techniques-
1- Jump Just Guard and Jump Just Release is extremely easy to peform with no damage. Try to use it alot and rolling also gives you invincible frames to easily block it.
2-Practice one move at a time. I was able to block every move until I reached Super Judgement Cut. I could even block Normal Judgement Cut but it was too hard. I practiced for a while and eventualy was able to block it. Now I'm on Spiral Swords :D
3- Don't get stressed easily, keep practicing and you'll get it.
4- I-Guard, try to use I-guard, I-Guard is a technique developed by Gemasis/Vosor, it is holding the O button and take your finger off slightly, then re-press it so you can block the attack perfectly, and even if you don't get the attack timing right, the damage is reduced because you were also normal guarding or you will get a silver guard. Also, this is extremely useful for multiple attacks like multiple sloths attacking, or Super Judgement Cut and Spiral Swords. This is how I learned how to block Spiral Swords. I'm not entirley sure if I explained how I-Guard works correctly, but its close :)

Videos to help you out are below.
Royal Guard Requiem
True Blitz
Royal Guard Symphony

Have Fun :D

P.S.- Updates will come as time comes by and I just can't write everything right now so later. And Alot of this was taken from Dahbomb and Pokey's Battle Mechanics FAQ so thank them if you ever see them anywhere. Also I got the pics and some info from the IGN Boards that had a topic similar to this. RG Requiem is Pokey 86s

Tyles

Re: Style Help

Royalguard has become my favourite style now, ever since I found out I can literally block any attack without taking damage when pressed at the precise moment. The only thing I can't block is Beowulf's Light Volcano. I still need to find the perfect timing for that, I think.

Noxotic

can you block spiral swords? It's DMD Vergil 3 and its giving me a really hard time. Its like button mashing, lol. Its hard.

Tyles

Yeah I remember blocking those, but not all of them of course. I do remember blocking Beowulf's pouncing attack at the right moment and it stunned him for a while. But for DMD on Mission 20, I just played it safe and stuck with Trickster. I found it too risky to use Royalguard at that point.

Noxotic

Oh, and for blocking volcano, jump and press O, or roll and press O. It works all the time for the volcano, Nevan electrifiying ground (rolling), and kings explosion. I can block Spiral Swords about 40% of the time. It just gets me so much. lol.

Virgil

royal guard was never really good to me i prefer trickster and swordmaster as long as u have the reflexes to dodge on your own you don't need the fancy stuff. i learned how to dodge on dmc1 changed the control scheme so it almost exactly matches it and it became much easier.

Tyles

Man, I faced Beowulf again and defeated him in like half a minute using Royalguard. I was able to block his light volcano too, then he just fell backwards going "AAAUGHHH!1" That was sweet.

Noxotic

lol, have fun :D
Oh, and if you want to make the faq for a style, don't only get videos, pre-write some of it first, it helps.

Noxotic

Oh, and here is the list so far.
Trickster-None
Sword Master-Virgil
Gunslinger-None
Royal Guard-Dante
Quicksilver-Shadow Ninja X7
Doppel Ganger-None
Dark Slayer- None

If more people have info that wasan't covered in the original faq, they could post it in their own little faq and say what Style its for, or tell the original faq writer and he should put it their, then give you credit at the end of their faq. I'll still be trying to update mine, and hope to be seeing your soon too. :D

ShadowNinja X7

I'd also like to do Trickster and Dark Slayer, although I'll probaly have to wait until tomarrow to do those. I didn't find the vid I was looking for, so I'll just give you one of mine to watch now and post it later.

I'll cover Quicksilver.

Moves:Quicksilver only has one move, Time Lag. As the name suggests it allows you to slow down time, adding a totaly new set of enemy physics to the game. Time lag consumes your DT however, at the price of 1 DT Rune for 1 Second of Slow Time, so the most you can have without Super Dante is 10 seconds.

Quick Cancelling:Quiksilver is my favorite style, because it allows you to attack while defending, due to a special little move called Quick Cancelling, named by the great Pokey86. To quick cancel you just activate Time Lag right before an enemys attack hits you. You get about half a second of invincibility frames, which is quite a lot in this game. You can activate Time Lag at any time as well. Caught in a Crazy Combo that you don't want to stop? Quick Cancel an attack thats about to hit you. Attacks will go right through you, which looks awsome as well as providing you with the ultimate defense.

Combos:Quicksilver adds a new set of phsyics to DMC3, allowing to do combos that weren't possible before, like hitting enemys with multiple Aerial Cross's without the use of a wall to stop the enemy, or being able to do rebounds with the enemy as a stationary platform in the air. You can also hit more with attacks that normally knock enemys away, like Satellite. Here is my very first video. Its not very good and the quality sucks, but when I use QS its ok. I do some decent Quick Cancelling and you can kinda get a feel for the difference in Physics from normal play. Later I'll post Pokey86's True Style vid, which is great QS play. In a couple weeks I'll be coming out with 2 more Quicksilver videos which put this one to shame, so look for those later on for some much better play. Well, here's my first video. Watch, enjoy, and go kill some demons with Quicksilver!

http://files.filefront.com/DMC3_S_Quiksilverwmv/;4876715;;/fileinfo.html

Noxotic

Good Job, I might try doppelanger but not sure. Wait like a day and see if anyone wants it since you got one. If not, go ahead. I'll do the same with Doppelganger.

Noxotic

Trickster-Shadow Ninja X7(not written yet)
Sword Master-Virgil(not written yet)
Gunslinger-None
Royal Guard-Dante
Quicksilver-Shadow Ninja X7
Doppel Ganger-Dante(not written yet)
Dark Slayer- Shadow Ninja X7(not written yet)

ShadowNinja X7

Doppelganger is perhaps the deepest style there is, with the delays and tons of other stuff. Look at Dahbomb/Pokey86's combat FAQ to see just how much there is to it.

Noxotic

I know, i read it and i'm getting really good with it. Not near a master yet but getting good with delays. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom