• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your thoughts on this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Alright, recently I heard something from a let's player on youtube that struck a chord with me. I want to see all of your thoughts on this.

"You're probably going to buy the game anyway, let's face that fact right now. Of course you probably won't ADMIT you bought the game, but you probably are going to in the future just out of curiosity and say it was wasted potential. Which is where I ask WHY you bought the game in the first place? I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but if you kept buying the games after DMC2 you OBVIOUSLY still have faith in the series, so play the game, STFU, and judge the game based on your experiences instead of what you SEE!"

Saosin

King of Games
I can truthfully say, that I have an unrivaled love for all of the games in the Devil May Cry series, since I am a firm Capcom supporter! I think the game will be good... I mean it has to be if they're calling it "DmC" that'd be like labeling a bucket of crap as cupcakes, it just doesn't happen. If it meets the standards that die-hard fans have for the series then woohoo! Though if not, then I guess we'll have another thing for fan-boys to flame and troll youtube about. At least It'll give Justin Bieber a break :3

Asmodaius

I can't say if I will buy the game yet. I remember being rather optimistic about Final Fantasy 14 and wanted to buy it for PS3 when it is released for the console in March next year, however, after having seen the content live on the PC version, I have lost interest. I am probably gonna buy it anyways, as MMORPG's tend to evolve to the better if the creators put some effort into it, and knowing Square Enix, they probably will. I can only hope. ^^

My point is that I don't know enough about the game to say if I will buy it or not. I have all four previous games of the main series, and I find this new Dante rather interesting so far (not to say rather hot as well ;P), so I am optimistic about it. However, it could become a complete failure and then... I would probably still buy it and play it through just to see the content at first hand. XD

I wouldn't be ashamed of it though. I'd rather admit it was a waste of money after having experienced the game first hand than to judge it without having played it.

moseslmpg

Oversimplifying and baiting. DMC2 is not comparable to DINO, DMC3 was a valuable reward for sticking with the series, etc.

I think he's right about gamers not sticking to their principles though. A lot of the people who are totally against it will end up buying it. It is too early for anyone to decide outright that they will definitely buy it, but as of now, it is on the rental list.

Chrysander

As a long time splatterhouse fan, I'm not buying the splatterhouse reboot, because it looks shoddy as hell. There is no point buying a rubbish game just because it's a prequel or whatever to a series you liked before. There isn't even gameplay of DmC yet, but if it looks equally as bad, why would I buy it? If it looks decent I might buy it, but it'd have to be something pretty special.

Dominus

He sounds like Capcom's PR department... but anyway, I think people will buy the game because they need their DMC fix (I'm almost sick of DMC3 and 4). It will also depend on what action games will be released the same year.. I'm pretty sure Capcom will be smart with the release date and make sure its not around the same time as another major action game... kind of like how EA released Dante's Inferno (GOW clone) a good 3-4 months before GOW 3.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
For so long I got comments on youtube from DMC3 fans acting so cocksure. They KNEW Vergil would be back in 5, they KNEW Dante was never going to change now. They were certain Capcom would obey their every whim and so did I TBH.
But this is just history repeating itself, I very nearly didn't bother playing DMC3 on release, thats how much of a negative impression 2 left on me (whether it was DMC or not it was a bad game compared to the first and put me off it bigtime) but people are acting like DMC has never let us down. It's hard to not see these people as anything other than either people who played 3 first and only acknowledged 1 and 2 as vague spinoffs that don't really count. (they weren't there to experience the massive let down which softens the blow, they can just ignore it) Or people who are giving the series way more trust than it deserves.

I think deep down thats why I am kind of happy about DmC. I know it's cold and selfish but it brought the late starters off their pedestools and put them in their place. Made them realise that DMC can't be trusted.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
With everything that is going on with Capcom, with all the people that orginally worked on DMC gone and new ones coming in, I think they're in the process of rebuilding a new DMC team. I'm not exactly happy about it either like anyone else, but I'm giving it a chance.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
DarkKnight1000;291555 said:
i think he's right except he could've been less ofencive

i agree with this. he was a bit harsh, but i'll bet most everyone here is going to buy it even if they are whining now about how the main character smokes or they think he's emo.

he's scene. there's a difference.

Dominus

Faust;291599 said:
With everything that is going on with Capcom, with all the people that orginally worked on DMC gone and new ones coming in, I think they're in the process of rebuilding a new DMC team. I'm not exactly happy about it either like anyone else, but I'm giving it a chance.

Yah but its Ninja Theory internally that will be constructing the core of the game, not capcom, so I see not need to give it a chance. Like it has been said Capcom has screwed up on several games, and recently their track record isn't so good. So given recent bad track record, DMC2, and the fair amount of decent action games out now if DmC ends up being bad people can just play a different game.

Hell.. I recall when DMC2 came out there wasn't many other action games, and I still didn't buy it until it was on sale 3 years later. And in DMC2, Dante looked better than Dino does now, but the game didn't feel like right or play right.

Meg

I can't say if I'm gonna buy it or not. As of now I'm saying, "We'll see." I'll probably play the demo at least, just to see.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Only way I'll say this is a buy/rent is if I only have to use Donte for like between 1-8 maybe 10 hours of 50+ hours worth of gameplay.

moseslmpg

Darth Angelo;291591 said:
I think deep down thats why I am kind of happy about DmC. I know it's cold and selfish but it brought the late starters off their pedestools and put them in their place. Made them realise that DMC can't be trusted.
Except the late starters aren't the people who were saying those things, and they have no real investment in the series. A lot of people who just got into the series with DMC3 probably couldn't care less about DINO. True, they don't know what it was like to experience DMC1 and then DMC2, but I fail to see how a cynical approach to the series would help Capcom or the fans. What's the point?

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
moseslmpg;291682 said:
Except the late starters aren't the people who were saying those things, and they have no real investment in the series. A lot of people who just got into the series with DMC3 probably couldn't care less about DINO. True, they don't know what it was like to experience DMC1 and then DMC2, but I fail to see how a cynical approach to the series would help Capcom or the fans. What's the point?
No offense, but I think people over exaggerate DMC2 awfulness to a stupid degree. It wasn't even a bad game at all, especially in comparison to many other games out at the time imo. I started with DMC1 and then played DMC2 and I wasn't understanding the extreme hate then, and barely now either. Only thing I didn't like about DMC2 was Dante's new personality.

However...DmC is hurting me big time right now...more than FFXII (not a typo, I did not like 12).

moseslmpg

DMC2 isn't compositionally that bad of a game, but the contrast between DMC1 and DMC2 for the vets was so shocking an repugnant that the hate still persists. The story had no connection to the first one, the style was totally different, it was way too easy (which is something you like, if I'm not mistaken), most design sucked, music sucked, gameplay and weapons sucked, etc. It was kind of like brushing your teeth, then drinking some orange juice, and having that nasty taste in your mouth. DMC2 isn't a bad game, but it is definitely a bad DMC game.

But I agree that the hate is somewhat misplaced nowadays. DMC4 deserves more because it had no excuse for being so crappy, while DMC2 did since it was developed totally separate from DMC1 without Kamiya's approval.

I have less hate for DINO than I do for DMC4, and far less than I used to have for DMC2. It could be the apathy, or maybe it's just because DINO isn't deceptively awesome looking like DMC2 was.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I could argue that DMC2's gameplay and music aren't that bad, and the monster design was good, but that only comes down to opinion.

Meg

Storm Silves;291845 said:
I could argue that DMC2's gameplay and music aren't that bad, and the monster design was good, but that only comes down to opinion.

That's just it. They aren't bad,but that doesn't make it good. I thought everything about DMC2 was just ok. I also played it knowing what everyone says about it, so I wasn't shocked by its (lack of) quality.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
DMC2 was my first DMC game, and I can see it's shortcomings, but I guess I have some kind of subconscious love for the game for getting me into the series. It's difficulty (or lack thereof) DOES make it a nice starting point.

Meg

That's true, and since it was you're first I can understand why you'd like it more that most DMC fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom