• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your likes and dislikes about DmC - The Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmodaius

First I would like to say, this is NOT a ranting thread and it is NOT supposed to discuss Dante as a character, his looks, his role in the game, his heritage or anything like that. This thread is purely about what YOU like and dislikes about the GAMEPLAY, and the GAMEPLAY only!

Please respect that. Thank you.

Now that is said...
Like stated in the title, I would like to discuss what people think about the gameplay we have seen so far. We know a few things about it and we definately haven't seen everything yet, so please keep that in mind. This is just about the gameplay we have seen footage of.

Here's my opinions:

-Like: The Scythe.
That we are able to switch weapons on the fly is rather cool. I imagine we are able to pick a weapon for each shoulder-button or something alike and then switch to either of them to juggle up some massive combos. I found it fun and useful in Heavenly Sword which had the same feature.

28901blade.jpg

The weapon I am most excited about is the Scythe! Well, I have always associated the scythe as a more demonic weapon, the Grim Reaper harvesting souls with his scythe and so on, so the fact that it is an angelic weapon is something I'm not sure how I feel about. But hey, it's a scythe none the less, and the scythe is one of my favourite weapons of all time! Back in DMC3 I was hoping Dante would get the scythe from the Hell Vanguard boss (the reaper demon), but that was not the case and I was somewhat disappointed. But now we get to use one! YAY!

28900blade.jpg

Another game that did the scythe well is Dante's Inferno, so I can imagine it might work a bit like that - swinging the scythe around in various slashes and such. And since it is an angelic weapon, it might get some cool powers as well that we can put to use. I have noticed in the trailers that Dante uses it in a very fast manner, so I think it will be a speedy weapon to balance off the demonic axe. I for one is rather excited about it and it would most likely end up as one of my main weapons of choice in the game.

-Dislike: The Devil Trigger.
I admit, I was REALLY disappointed when I saw that the Devil Trigger in DmC is Dante turning into the colours of DMC Dante with white hair and a red coat while going all Quicksilver mode, being sped up while the rest of the world around him is going in slowmotion. And while it is active, you have to stay airborne and do aerial combos, and as soon you land, the trigger ends.

Thumb08.jpg

It does sound like a cool feature, and NT did say they would like to have more aerial combat into the gameplay, but to replace the Devil Trigger with this is not something that falls into my favour. I was really hoping to see Dante turn into a demon/angel mix form, and since there are other features in DmC that looks quite alike many things in DMC2, I was also hoping that it could be customized to gain several special powers, like it did with the Amulet and the Devil Hearts. Instead we get... this...

Dante_DMC_reboot_white_hair.png
He looks cool and all, and I like how it is a hint to the original Dante's looks... but not as a Devil Trigger!​
What are your likes and dislikes of the DmC gameplay?​

Tiran

The great pretender.
I too dislike the devil trigger. I also dislike the slo-mo finishers. They break up the flow of combat and take the rhythm and momentum of chaining combos away. I do like the chain sword. I do like the transforming rebellion concept. It actually explains how Dante is able to carry so many different weapons on him at once. New powers may be absorbed into his sword which is a manifestation of his existing power. I like the transforming world concept and it, itself being an enemy and ever-present threat. EVERYTHING is trying to kill this Dante in this game! Sweet! The fact that the transforming world makes for interesting fighting scenarios is cool. Manipulating the environment and having the walls react negatively to that. (Tammem says the walls also bleed when you rip out a part of the environment.) Different ammunition types for Ebony/ ivory (ricochet trick shoots) Help spice up the projectile arms combat. I feel, however, there is sooo much more that is yet to be hinted at about the weapons and combat in this game however...

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Awesome thread by the way.

Likes about the game-play we've seen so far as follows.

I like the graphics in the game-play we have seen so far. I like the finishing moves to an extent, could look cooler (As CoolDemon mentioned). I like the larger range of weapons they have going on, and being able to switch weapons on the fly. I like the aerial combat idea.

Dislikes about the game-play we have seen so far.

Overuse of the 'chain' weapon. Seems too repetitive. Not enjoying the Devil Trigger either as much, it seems a little dull. The fighting doesn't seem as quick as I had hoped, but still looks okay. Enemies don't look all that challenging.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
I too dislike the devil trigger. I also dislike the slo-mo finishers. They break up the flow of combat and take the rhythm and momentum of chaining combos away. I do like the chain sword. I do like the transforming rebellion concept. It actually explains how Dante is able to carry so many different weapons on him at once. New powers may be absorbed into his sword which is a manifestation of his existing power. I like the transforming world concept and it, itself being an enemy and ever-present threat. EVERYTHING is trying to kill this Dante in this game! Sweet! The fact that the transforming world makes for interesting fighting scenarios is cool. Manipulating the environment and having the walls react negatively to that. (Tammem says the walls also bleed when you rip out a part of the environment.) Different ammunition types for Ebony/ ivory (ricochet trick shoots) Help spice up the projectile arms combat. I feel, however, there is sooo much more that is yet to be hinted at about the weapons and combat in this game however...
I was gonna say i dislike the drawing of enemies to you with chain - but i must play DmC to judge that to be honest.

As for the Cutscene finishers it's not bad why? It's slow motion so if you are a hardcore Gameplayer then you get a small break. But the cut scene finishers must be great to look at. Right now it's not great.

As for Dante carrying many weapons - in games some things can't be based on logic. For example if you want a connection as to why you can bring 5 weapons with the avatar Dante then it's hard. Plus imagine making a connection as to why the avatar you play as has tons of items in inventory and tons of weapons on him. How would you then explain that? Hard to. So somethings are meant to be logical.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Doesn't look that bad to me. It will make it easier to string longer and better looking combos IMO.
Indeed. The roll that i brought up is similar to the chain drawing. Imagine Ninja theory making the game so that when you click the roll button you automatically roll to a nearby monster? Rolling is faster than walking isn't it?

Totally. This DT concept angered me. Only it changes His colour of hair and nothing more. Really NT, Im dissapointed.

Part of the fasicnation of DMC is the demons. And the characters demon form. Example of Scenario:

DmC:
Dante is stabbed and falls down. Demon power awakens in him - boom he goes white hair and red jacket . Not so "Wow!"

DMC:
Vergil stabs Dante while he is lying. After short while demon form awakens and Dante goes demon. And you get the kinda thought *This **** is going down!*

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I think Ninja Theory should go back to the drawing board with the DT thing. Make him look demonic, but make him look demonic as THEY think he should look demonic. Something dark and something fresh.

So far the enemies look mechanical and dull. The only ones that seem demonic are the bosses.

This isn't set before Devil May Cry 3. The whole idea that this was meant to be an origin story to DMC Dante is wrong. This is Dante in a parallel universe. A separate Dante. DMC 3 Dante does not exist in this universe.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Oh, this is rather easy to tell.
What I like 'bout DmC Gameplay - Everything. Seriously. From the use of axe to scythe to his finishers. It defines COOL. And guess what, I didn't see anything like Enemy Step/Jump Cancel. He can pretty much levitate in the air. Guess who considers himself lucky? :D

I don't know about other guys, but his DT looks cool to use. I mean, the way it was shown in TGS trailer( that one in which texts appear on walls, 'Do not accept the world as it is' and all) looked supercool to me. I think I'm gonna abuse it badly.

But yes, one dislike - Gameplay looks kinda slow.

Tiran

The great pretender.
I was gonna say i dislike the drawing of enemies to you with chain - but i must play DmC to judge that to be honest.

As for the Cutscene finishers it's not bad why? It's slow motion so if you are a hardcore Gameplayer then you get a small break. But the cut scene finishers must be great to look at. Right now it's not great.

As for Dante carrying many weapons - in games some things can't be based on logic. For example if you want a connection as to why you can bring 5 weapons with the avatar Dante then it's hard. Plus imagine making a connection as to why the avatar you play as has tons of items in inventory and tons of weapons on him. How would you then explain that? Hard to. So somethings are meant to be logical.

I know that logic is the last thing you consider, I'm just saying this game could come up with it's own way of showing how this could be done, if they wanted to. I don't care either way, really. Just thought it was interesting.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
I know that logic is the last thing you consider, I'm just saying this game could come up with it's own way of showing how this could be done, if they wanted to. I don't care either way, really. Just thought it was interesting.
Hey making things logical is good. So your way of thinking is more insightful than mine.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I have issues with the DT as well. Not the appearance, that rocks - though I never quite understood why their clothes transform along with themXD.

But man, being able to use it only while you're airborne? I can understand trying to make us love staying in the air a lot more, as it's exciting and we have already overused battling on the ground in many games besides DMC, but I'm just one of these guys that never became really good at Jump Canceling and stuff, and really loved the small ways you could control battle while being on solid ground.

The new Devil Bringer-like move seems nice enough. Especially since it combines DB with Darkslayer style, and you can either move close/away from them or BRING them to you. I like the guns. Somehow they give me some sort of DMC4 feeling.
To explain:
DMC1 E&I: They were shooting as fast as you pushed the button/the fastest, the more power, and with DT and Charge shot, they were awesome. At just the right power-level for me.

DMC2 E&I: Being upgraded many times, could make them end up pretty powerful. And being shot with machinegun-like speed while in DT, was ultra powerful.

DMC3 E&I: The weakest probably. Personally I mainly used them to stay airborne/keep enemies airborne or with enemies where the sword wouldn't work at all. Blood Goyles etc.

DMC4 E&I: Stronger than DMC3, weaker than DMC2/1, still with the DMC1 system, but most of the times I just felt, that no matter how fast I pushed the shooting button, few things changed, unlike with DMC1.

The evading moves are my favorites so far. I wonder if it'll have styles, though probably not.

Asmodaius

Oh, by the way, speaking of angelic scythes, I found this pictue:

Stlucia.png
Lucia from Dante's Inferno wielding a scythe. How could I forget about that? I LOVED using Lucia in Dante's Inferno, and she uses an angelic scythe! So maybe I won't be iffy about the scythe being angelic in DmC after all. :p

Tiran

The great pretender.
I prefer not to cycle through so many styles. If they can make the same moves available to us with less fuss, all the better. What was once style based is now form based.

Tiran

The great pretender.
Oh, by the way, speaking of angelic scythes, I found this pictue:

Stlucia.png
Lucia from Dante's Inferno wielding a scythe. How could I forget about that? I LOVED using Lucia in Dante's Inferno, and she uses an angelic scythe! So maybe I won't be iffy about the scythe being angelic in DmC after all. :p
I don't see the fuss about the scythe being angelic. Remember, the grim reaper is an angel. (angel of death)

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. And the Grim Reaper ain't even a bad guy.

Nope, Mr.Grim's just doing his job.

But the scythe was meant to be the 'angelic' weapon in DmC. The axe, the demonic weapon. I don't know where that leaves the sword then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom