• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Y'know what? I can't accept this.

DMCGamer1989

No one should be trying to act like anything said here about Dante is a fact. Anyones thoughts and feelings about Dante are going to be completely opinion based.
I know that, sorry if my post sounded a little angry, I'm a little ticked at a friend of mine who's Devil May Cry Fan as well, so I'm a little on edge. Sorry, that was wrong of me to do.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
dmc4_dante_by_fubuki_arts-d5tfyi1.png

He is wearing leather assless chaps, a belt buckle as big as his head, and red cowboy boot covers. This isn't cool. It's freaking laughable and stupid lol.

Seriously, how is that cool? Come on. It looks completely ridiculous and this is a series that's supposed to be obsessed with style.

Dante has a very bad sense of style because this is just horrible. Like anyone in their right mind would think this is stylish. You must be a riot if you do. :laugh:

I would have preferred this at least.
DMC4-Old-Trailer.jpg

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
To be really honest, I find DMC4 Dante to be better and cool rather than 'acting cool'. It also confuses me how you state and classify those scenarios of Dante you mentioned as 'acting cool' and overlook NTDante's scenes of middle fingers and f.uck yous.

If you have time, feed my curiosity and tell whatcha think about these;
*Dante shown being with sluts.
*Hey Bob, put a spin on this.
*club entry scene when he writes f.uck you and smacks that guy's face.
*infamous succubus f.uck u-f.uck u time.

Just reiterating - Not beating up a dead horse here; just curious to know.

Sorry if this is well out of being discussed by now, but the main point is that so many people think that the things Dante does in DmC he's doing "to act cool." He's not. At all. The way he carries himself a lot of the time in the story is not to exude some aura of cool, it's him being angry and nonchalant because he cares so little for others most of the time, especially not the demons or demon collaborators he's fighting.

Don't think DmC Dante is all about "cool" like the classic was, it's more about him growing as a character and having more dimensions than the classic, who is mostly already well established, and is just being consistent (sorta).

And hey! Don't call those angels sluts! You have no idea if they're promiscuous or not. Dante could have a well-balanced and health relationship with...uh...both...of them. Yeah...there's people like that >.>

Not to start a fight, but I found this to be a very odd statement, since DmC Dante is the definition of 'acting cool rather than being cool'. The quote ''you can call me Dante the demon killer'' illustrates that clearly. He obviously finds himself to be very cool - which I think is very vain.

Y'know...this is bothering me, because that's not just some dumb line he cooked up "to sound cool," it's a counter to the demons' title for him where they essentially call him worthless (son of the traitor and the whore), and a threat to her about how he's going to be the one to kill her, he's just being cocky about it how he say it.

It goes right along with what I mentioned about about how he's not doing things expressly to "be cool."

-----------------------

And yes yes, "F#ck you" could be Dante's tag line in this, but he actually uses it all of...uh...twice? Once when confronting Poison, and once when he writes it on a clipboard. Oh, and he flips Barbas the bird once. Those are such small instances, can we stop emphasizing them as if they are all he did? It'd be like me saying all DMC3 Dante does is holler and eat pizza - it's just not true :/

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I understand where Dragonmaster is coming from and I respect his opinion as a Devil May Cry fan. But this thread has really gone to hell. Like, past the point of simply criticizing a disliked character and nearing complete hate. Guys, seriously, not cool. And no, I've heard it all before, so before anyone says anything of the sort, bashing DmC Dante is just as bad. Let people enjoy their respective Dantes and only give contructive criticisim, I think we've had enough people passing off their perspectives, however "educated" they are as facts. Some people like the relatively well developed DmC Dante and some like the fun and ambiguous DMC Dante.

And for the record... Tumblr is a horrible place to discuss Devil May Cry based on the posts I've read. We have the worst of both sides of the fanbase there, I'm not generalizing, just reiterating what I've seen. We have people giving horrifyingly pretentious pseudo reviews and people thinking they're literrary geniuses for understanding a plot that basically tells you everything on the get-go and trolls that just **** you off for a quick giggle. Though I've seen some good discussions there.

I agree, but I'm no saying DMC4 Dante sucks as fact, it's just an opinion on a rant.

dmc4_dante_by_fubuki_arts-d5tfyi1.png

He is wearing leather assless chaps, a belt buckle as big as his head, and red cowboy boot covers. This isn't cool. It's freaking laughable and stupid lol.

Seriously, how is that cool? Come on. It looks completely ridiculous and this is a series that's supposed to be obsessed with style.

Dante has a very bad sense of style because this is just horrible. Like anyone in their right mind would think this is stylish. You must be a riot if you do. :laugh:

I would have preferred this at least.
DMC4-Old-Trailer.jpg

It's all in the matter of preference. I mean look at new Dante. I mean REALLY look at him and tell me; does he really look like a dude you take seriously as a powerful demon hunter? No, of course not. But Y'know what, that's what makes him awesome. You never know what he's got up his sleeves.

Sorry if this is well out of being discussed by now, but the main point is that so many people think that the things Dante does in DmC he's doing "to act cool." He's not. At all. The way he carries himself a lot of the time in the story is not to exude some aura of cool, it's him being angry and nonchalant because he cares so little for others most of the time, especially not the demons or demon collaborators he's fighting.

Don't think DmC Dante is all about "cool" like the classic was, it's more about him growing as a character and having more dimensions than the classic, who is mostly already well established, and is just being consistent (sorta).

this is how I've always seen it. He's not flipping tables to look cool, and he's not showing off with his devil arms to try and look cool. He's just getting sh*t done and moving on because he's got work to do. He certainly doesn't dress like he's cool because I don't even think he cares if he's cool or not. All he cares about is killing these demons and being able to live life without them for a bit.

And yes yes, "F#ck you" could be Dante's tag line in this, but he actually uses it all of...uh...twice? Once when confronting Poison, and once when he writes it on a clipboard. Oh, and he flips Barbas the bird once. Those are such small instances, can we stop emphasizing them as if they are all he did? It'd be like me saying all DMC3 Dante does is holler and eat pizza - it's just not true :/

It'll never stop because he's new Dante. He must be hated automatically because of that.:grumpy:

DMCGamer1989

I agree, but I'm no saying DMC4 Dante sucks as fact, it's just an opinion on a rant.

It's all in the matter of preference. I mean look at new Dante. I mean REALLY look at him and tell me; does he really look like a dude you take seriously as a powerful demon hunter? No, of course not. But Y'know what, that's what makes him awesome. You never know what he's got up his sleeves.

It'll never stop because he's new Dante. He must be hated automatically because of that.:grumpy:

I know, you're not the type to rant.

Yeah, New Dante does have that awesome rising star theme about him and his unpredictability makes him quite dangerous, like he's begging for a fight and he WILL deliver and kick any demon ass.

Yeah, it's sad, to me he's cool because he's cool. His own Dante.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
And he talks smack to demons while spouting some cheesy one liners. That's Dante.

In all honesty I seriously think still it's just mostly a lot of that weeaboo crowd just p!ssed because Dante just doesn't look like your typical anime character anymore. A pretty big portion of DMC fans are your typical anime fans. Hell, I'm a huge anime fan myself. I'm just not that anime fan that ONLY watches anime and acts like it's the best goddamn thing on the planet.

berto

I Saw the Devil
In all honesty I seriously think still it's just mostly a lot of that weeaboo crowd just p!ssed because Dante just doesn't look like your typical anime character anymore. A pretty big portion of DMC fans are your typical anime fans.
Are you still talking about DmC here?

DragonMaster2010

Dante in DmC is just basically a normal dude. He's not wearing some flamboyant or weird outfit. He's got jeans, a t-shirt, and a long coat with a hood. And just a normal haircut. Big deal. *shrugs*

But you know what, that's also what I like about new Dante.

He doesn't try to look cool nor does he try to make himself out as the best thing to happen to the world since sliced bread. He's the way he is because he knows he won't live for long so...Yolo. (GOD A F*CKING HATE SAYING THAT UUUUGGGHHH!) But it's still true. But he realizes that living that life isn't all there is. And so, he bucks up a bit, takes that fight to the demons, and ends up being the under-hero to save the humans.

And that just gets my attention more then the normal flashy dresser with style who you know will win in the end and tries to look cool with every move he makes.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
And man DMC fans can be some assholes. Off topic but story time.

At Mechacon this year, a girl decided to dress up as Dante from DmC and she was practically shunned by people and DMC fans gave her sh!t. WTF? Are you kidding me? I had to seriously step in and tell them to leave her alone. Some people man. On the plus side she was really cute and I got to hang out with her for quite a while. Met up with her again at the house party that night and got to dance with her as well as her cute friends. Was a good day.

DMCGamer1989

But you know what, that's also what I like about new Dante.

He doesn't try to look cool nor does he try to make himself out as the best thing to happen to the world since sliced bread. He's the way he is because he knows he won't live for long so...Yolo. (GOD A F*CKING HATE SAYING THAT UUUUGGGHHH!) But it's still true. But he realizes that living that life isn't all there is. And so, he bucks up a bit, takes that fight to the demons, and ends up being the under-hero to save the humans.

And that just gets my attention more then the normal flashy dresser with style who you know will win in the end and tries to look cool with every move he makes.

I just wish they could have played up the protector of humanity aspect a little more, maybe giving Kat some extra scenes or a a visit to a slum area where we see the true strength of humans and their will to survive. Maybe introduce a badass order member that's just a regular guy who acts like a mentor for Dante then dies heroically to prove that humanity will always stand up and fight no matter what, engraving a bigger sense of justice in Dante.

I applaud NT for not making Kat the obvious love interest, nowadays there always has to be a love interest and it gets tiring.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Y'know...this is bothering me, because that's not just some dumb line he cooked up "to sound cool," it's a counter to the demons' title for him where they essentially call him worthless (son of the traitor and the whore), and a threat to her about how he's going to be the one to kill her, he's just being cocky about it how he say it.

It goes right along with what I mentioned about about how he's not doing things expressly to "be cool."

-----------------------

Whether it's a counter or not doesn't matter to me. Obviously, he isn't going to say it out of the blue. Anyway, he still sounded like a douche who tried too hard to be cool. His entire way of moving and speaking annoys me - he thinks he's got swag, when in fact he's just an ass.

And I think he 'f*ck you' once when confronting Poison (who says it twice), once he writes it on a guest list, once he flips Barbas off, once an erotic dancer says it to him, you know... it doesn't even matter if it's only Dante who says it, it's how many times in general, and it's just poor writing. It's not even funny, either; wasn't funny the first time, and didn't get any funnier the fourth or fifth time around.

I think it's very insulting that some of you call *every single DMC fan* a weaboo (what a crap word). I liked old Dante because, well, he looked cool. He didn't look like a drughead who went to the wrong barber and shat all over his clothes. Just my opinion, though. I really dislike characters who have to verbalize and act like neanderthals about how tough they are instead of showing it through their actions, as well as actually saying clever things like old Dante sometimes did.

DMCGamer1989

Whether it's a counter or not doesn't matter to me. Obviously, he isn't going to say it out of the blue. Anyway, he still sounded like a douche who tried too hard to be cool. His entire way of moving and speaking annoys me - he thinks he's got swag, when in fact he's just an ass.

And I think he 'f*ck you' once when confronting Poison (who says it twice), once he writes it on a guest list, once he flips Barbas off, once an erotic dancer says it to him, you know... it doesn't even matter if it's only Dante who says it, it's how many times in general, and it's just poor writing. It's not even funny, either; wasn't funny the first time, and didn't get any funnier the fourth or fifth time around.

I think it's very insulting that some of you call *every single DMC fan* a weaboo (what a crap word). I liked old Dante because, well, he looked cool. He didn't look like a drughead who went to the wrong barber and shat all over his clothes. Just my opinion, though. I really dislike characters who have to verbalize and act like neanderthals about how tough they are instead of showing it through their actions, as well as actually saying clever things like old Dante sometimes did.

The weaboo thing really gets me too. So classic Dante's a japanese version of cool, so what? It's still badass. Not everyone has to be a grungy brawler tough guy with a staring you at the face backstory. No mystery other than Sparda's face, to me, that was DmC's biggest writing flaw. Everything is too obvious and the character development and world building is to blatant that there's nothing to really think about, it's all there. But that's just my take on it. I've seen dudes who say they're smarter for liking DmC's plot when it really doesn'tt ake much to understand a plot that tells you everything and holds your hand through it the entire time. But I'm not saying it's a bad story mind you.

DragonMaster2010

This coming from the guy who plays MGR, GTA 5, and if I'm not mistaken No More Heroes.

I think it's very insulting that some of you call *every single DMC fan* a weaboo (what a crap word).

Where did I say weaboo though?

I liked old Dante because, well, he looked cool.

Good on you, mate.

He didn't look like a drughead who went to the wrong barber and shat all over his clothes.

Now you're being a sandlot kid

Just my opinion, though. I really dislike characters who have to verbalize and act like neanderthals about how tough they are instead of showing it through their actions, as well as actually saying clever things like old Dante sometimes did.

Then you must hate this guy
TravisTouchdown.png

This guy
mugen.jpg

This girl
Revy__Black_Lagoon_by_nairarun15.jpg

And any other character who doesn't live up to your "standards".

DragonMaster2010

The weaboo thing really gets me too. So classic Dante's a japanese version of cool, so what? It's still badass. Not everyone has to be a grungy brawler tough guy with a staring you at the face backstory. No mystery other than Sparda's face, to me, that was DmC's biggest writing flaw. Everything is too obvious and the character development and world building is to blatant that there's nothing to really think about, it's all there. But that's just my take on it. I've seen dudes who say they're smarter for liking DmC's plot when it really doesn'tt ake much to understand a plot that tells you everything and holds your hand through it the entire time. But I'm not saying it's a bad story mind you.

But that's the thing. It's obvious because this isn't anything too new. This literally everything we've seen in DMC3 through DMC1.

DMCGamer1989

Not really if you look between the lines that are there.
Dante's growing compassion for humanity is there in the form of his friendship with Kat and it's also apparent when he breaks into the prison and calls the human prisoners "poor bastards" and his idea of getting to know the only family he has left and having it taken away from him in the form of betrayal is pretty good, but I don't know, I guess it just doesn't click with me in comparison to the old series. But that's just my opinion, I understand why I'd be wrong to so many people. By the way, killer fanfics you got going on, your reboot of the negima story, pure gold!

Top Bottom