• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Worst moment in Devil May Cry

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
The ONLY thing I disliked about this game was the corny line "Filll your soul with LIIIIIGHT".

Frazz

General gamer
The only thing that I wasn't fond of was the fixed camera angles but I suppose that is more a product of the year in which it was made. Asides from that I like everything else about it and it is my favourite of the series.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
This scene...almost gave me diabetes. I'm thoroughly-amazed, to this day, that I didn't end up coughing up a cheese-wheel from watching this on the first go.

The voice-delivery, the music, the dialogue, just....ugh. God. WHY.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The voice-delivery, the music, the dialogue, just....ugh. God. WHY.
You mean the melodramatic Lethal Weapon-ish music combined with the forced anger Dante is "supposed" to be feeling? Yeah.

Anyway -- back then, I actually liked the part when Dante told her off -- chalk it up to my own personal issues with that one.

But now when I watch it, I'm just like, "Ok, we need a reboot."

Which thankfully, is what we got. :D

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I can enjoy it as far as B-movie camp goes. It's like Evil Dead 2 and such, you just can't take it too seriously; it wasn't meant to be, and if yah try to hold it up as a pinnacle of the field, you'll look silly. There's a difference between "bad" and "owning that badness". DMC1 definitely owns its badness - it knows what it is, and plays with it.

WolfOD64

But now when I watch it, I'm just like, "Ok, we need a reboot."

Which thankfully, is what we got. :D
Actually, no. We didn't need a reboot...what we really needed to remedy the issue was better writing.

I've said this on one other occasion, but I really didn't approve of Capcom's decision to reboot the series. What the franchise needed from DMC3 onwards was better writing. Starting with that game, the series strayed away from its RE-style voice-acting and minimalist story to games with over one hour of cutscenes per game, and a much larger emphasis on story. But because the writers executed each plot with the narrative competence of a Deviantart Fanfic-writer, managing to make the lore more convoluted and inconsistent with every game, and reducing Dante and all secondary characters into tripe, one-note caricatures of bad anime cliches.

By the time we got the lukewarm plot of DMC4 and the absolutely atrocious attempt at an animated series, it was painfully apparent that the series was in need of better writing. But by now, the series was already wrapped up in a thick cocoon of muddy lore and half-established character traits, so Capcom just took the lazy way out. Instead of sitting down and remedying the narrative maladies of the series itself, patching the decaying plot-holes and stale characters with the polish they desperately needed, they just hired another 3rd-party studio to do it for them.

I love DmC, and all the narrative elements Ninja Theory established, but it still stands as almost a physical embodiment of Capcom's own acknowledment to how badly they f*cked up the the story of every past game,, and worse, serving as an admittance that the series couldn't be saved from its most hideous and persistently-occuring flaw: the cringe-inducing quality of its writing.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Actually, no. We didn't need a reboot...what we really needed to remedy the issue was better writing.

This guy gets it.:thumbsup:

Been saying that from the start, Capcom really just needed someone who gave enough of a d@mn about the series to make a coherent and good story that doesn't conflict with the established mythos.

Pressing the "reboot button" was just more convenient and easy rather than fixing their mistakes.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
To be fair, a reboot allows them to reevaluate elements and discover what is most important under certain circumstances. I'll always say, people poo-poo'd the reboot for its changes, but would people have been fine with those changes if they applied them to the classic series instead? Probably not, given how the differences in DMC2 made it the target of much fan ire :c

WolfOD64

To be fair, a reboot allows them to reevaluate elements and discover what is most important under certain circumstances. I'll always say, people poo-poo'd the reboot for its changes, but would people have been fine with those changes if they applied them to the classic series instead? Probably not, given how the differences in DMC2 made it the target of much fan ire :c
It didn't allow Capcom to reevaluate elements and discover anything of importance...Ninja Theory did that. They saw bad writing where Capcom saw good writing, and acted upon it. And then they got sh!t for it.

I would've loved to see DmC's changes applied to the original series, and the original Dante. That's why the reboot makes me a little sad...but is also why I like the New Dante and characters infinitely better; they got the merciful attention and competence that the OG characters never got.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
but would people have been fine with those changes if they applied them to the classic series instead? Probably not, given how the differences in DMC2 made it the target of much fan ire :c
This guy gets it. :sneaky:

... Sorry.
I would've loved to see DmC's changes applied to the original series, and the original Dante.
You can't say that around here! :jawdrop:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Better writing in DMC? I'm up for it (even though I found DMC3's narrative actually decent, although cliche. Now bash me on that one...). But at the same time...

I would've loved to see DmC's changes applied to the original series, and the original Dante.

God save me from that.

XD jokes aside, personally I can't stand nDante, how they made his personality, and the sole idea to see oDante's one anything like that... brrrr. Makes me shudder.

No. Better writing and character development, sure. But not THAT way, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

Better writing in DMC? I'm up for it (even though I found DMC3's narrative actually decent, although cliche. Now bash me on that one...). But at the same time...
Hey, if I shrieked in rage at every fan of the series that enjoyed DMC3's story, my throat would rupture like a deflated balloon in under a minute...since I'd be shouting at practically the entire fanbase. You'll get no hatred from me...after all, we can't help but like what we like.

And it's really fine if we don't agree. A lot of fans complained about New Dante not being enough like Old Dante, and I warmed up to him precisely because he was nothing like the Old Dante...so I can see why me wanting some of the new stuff to mix with the old stuff would create an unsavory cocktail for some people.

A lot of people treat Dante (for whatever ungodly reason) as part of the series' identity, which is fine, I guess...good thing there are plenty of Dantes to choose from; they sure as hell are different from each other, even in the confines of the original series, so there's one for everyone...

Or in my case, two...

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
And it's really fine if we don't agree.

handshake1.jpg

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I choose Nocturne Dante. He has the best facial features, power levels (imho), attitude, and costume.

DMC2 Dante, for some reason, doesn't look quite like his box art the way Nocturne Dante does.

Nocturne Dante FTFreakinW

WolfOD64

I choose Nocturne Dante. He has the best facial features, power levels (imho), attitude, and costume.
DmC Dante is my favorite. DMC1 Dante is my favorite in the original series from a personality perspective.

But because I could never relate to the original Dante, he was never my favorite character from the original series. Personally, Nero was always my favorite. He had the boredom, the defiance, the rage and the relatability of a fleshed-out character...essentially, everything Dante had been lacking since DMC1.

Gray Knight

The swimming section really annoyed me during my run. The sudden first person shooting gameplay made me feel very disoriented.
For some reason I still liked the Mundus fight despite the gameplay shift.

Top Bottom