• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why judge this game on it's own merits? : An editorial by Mrrandomlulz

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
tumblr_m5cyvnkbZJ1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

Fine. If no one wants to accept the Bleach and DMC4 look alike, then I guess there's no helping it. I'm done here.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
tumblr_m5cyvnkbZJ1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

Fine. If no one wants to accept the Bleach and DMC4 look alike, then I guess there's no helping it. I'm done here.

There is nothing to accept you're (and many other) just ignorantly throwing around "OHH THEY LOOK ALIKE OR SEEM SO ONE MUST'VE COPIED THE OTHER"

Granted there is similarities but Bleach and DMC has a lot of similarities between a lot of other stuff.

If anything Kyrie and Nero and their relationship serve more of a nod to Dante's Alighieri poem La Vita Nouva (that was the name of the last mission in DMC4 where Nero fought Sanctus and saved Kyrie).

They most likely added the minor Bleach reference (namely the voice actors) for the sake of sh*ts and giggles.

DMC4s main influence were Dante Alighieri's works as well as Christianity/Catholicism and the themes of corruption in the church (even a form of satire as you can say DMC4 was taking jabs at the Catholic Church) and Nero's character and actions was more influenced by Roman Emperor Nero than Ichigo.

Plus I provided my evidence.

pope-600.jpg

Sanctus_DMC4.gif

Plus their names Sanctus, Credo, Agnus, Kyrie, and even Gloria are in fact terms or songs used in Catholicism.

They may seem similar but DMC4's main inspiration was never Bleach it was more or less religion.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
And you do realize that you're making yourself look like the very animal you posted when you accuse others of "making baseless assumptions".

Not to mention the fact that the other side provided evidence as well. You just chose to disregard it.

That was an I.D. you pulled right there.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I wouldn't rightly think that voice actors being the same across two different things is a point of reference for "rip offs." Not even a joke for sh!ts and giggles either, y'know?

I mean, c'mon. It's work, and back during DMC4, Johnny Young Bosch and Stephanie Sheh were pretty popular voice actors. It's like Troy Baker today, or Nolan North before him :p

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I remember the first time I heard Troy Baker. Kanji Tatsumi. And this was way before I realized he made a pitch-perfect Mark Hamill impression with Arkham Origins.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
First I heard of Troy was as Snow Villiers in FFXIII, and goddamn did he do a great job. He's a really good singer, too.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
He was Snow?? Ack, I hated Snow, but whatever. We all gotta start somewhere.

I didn't even have a good reason for hating him. It was 'cause of the hat. I never actually bothered to listen to him or play the game.

See? I can be 'DMC-petty' too, ya know.

I would agree that he is a good singer, however. My favorite Baker role is Vincent from Catherine.

tumblr_m04or4XCl31r46t6mo1_500.png

And on that random note, my favorite Vincent Price role is Ratigan.

professor_ratigan_by_verona7881-d30q6ww.jpg

The original Troll Face.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
And you do realize that you're making yourself look like the very animal you posted when you accuse others of "making baseless assumptions".

Not to mention the fact that the other side provided evidence as well. You just chose to disregard it.

That was an I.D. you pulled right there.

What evidence?

DragonMaster even stated "I just call it like I see it."

He was clearly going based on his self indulged opinion or take on the matter. Going based on sight and assuming it is as such without doing further research to double check his claim is making a baseless assumption for there is no base to support his assumption. He only saw how certain elements were similar to Bleach rather than dive down to see other examples for which DMC4 could've gotten its inspiration but not to long ago tries to do the same trick with the whole DmC took inspiration from They Live. I addressed the argument using large evidence and claims you can even pin point to as counter argument.

You know you make yourself look bad by half heartily joining a conversation for the sake of attacking one proprietor in the discussion. If you want to join the conversation then by all means but joining with insults ready to fire you will be set to corner to reflect on your intrusive and derogatory behavior.

So what now? Get down or get put down?
images

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You know you make yourself look bad by half heartily joining a conversation for the sake of attacking one proprietor in the discussion.
Wow, so just use the same accusation that I'm using and hope for the best. Bravo.
Now you want to complain? Now that you've started this fight with DM and then say that he just "calls it as he sees it"?

Apparently, you didn't even bother to look into the reference he posted. I don't know why DM even went through the trouble of debating you in the first place.

Throw down and be disruptive in someone else's forum, buddy. There's no place for people like you here.

Edit:
Not bad but I have no reason to enter a debate with a guy whose head is so far up his bum he thinks he is seeing Jesus and Jesus tells him how special and intelligent he is.
And this. You've got a lot of nerve to write a derogatory post like this and then say that I'm the one who's being insulting.

What was it that you said about a situation like this?

"Hypocrisy at its finest"?

Yeah, that sounds about right. You're a hypocrite, pure and simple.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

All you did was get really specific to try to debunk the Bleach comparison and just saying "It's not exactly like Bleach."

We all know it's not exactly like Bleach. But is basically is the same framework and in the end nothing but trite tropes and cliches anyway.

DMC couldn't get anymore generic if it tried and if this series wasn't the genre defining hack n slash it was in inception then it would just fade away and not come as far as it did because everything else about this series does not really stick out of the pack at all. Devil May Cry would just be "that game."

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
All you did was get really specific to try to debunk the Bleach comparison and just saying "It's not exactly like Bleach."
This. This was all he ever did. No "evidence" involved, just defending his precious game and insulting others.

And I've looked into the comparisons objectively as well -- I agree, DMC4 is a Bleach knockoff.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
There is nothing to accept you're (and many other) just ignorantly throwing around "OHH THEY LOOK ALIKE OR SEEM SO ONE MUST'VE COPIED THE OTHER"

Granted there is similarities but Bleach and DMC has a lot of similarities between a lot of other stuff.

If anything Kyrie and Nero and their relationship serve more of a nod to Dante's Alighieri poem La Vita Nouva (that was the name of the last mission in DMC4 where Nero fought Sanctus and saved Kyrie).

They most likely added the minor Bleach reference (namely the voice actors) for the sake of sh*ts and giggles.

DMC4s main influence were Dante Alighieri's works as well as Christianity/Catholicism and the themes of corruption in the church (even a form of satire as you can say DMC4 was taking jabs at the Catholic Church) and Nero's character and actions was more influenced by Roman Emperor Nero than Ichigo.

Plus I provided my evidence.

pope-600.jpg

Sanctus_DMC4.gif

Plus their names Sanctus, Credo, Agnus, Kyrie, and even Gloria are in fact terms or songs used in Catholicism.

They may seem similar but DMC4's main inspiration was never Bleach it was more or less religion.

Like I said, if you can't see it, there's no helping you.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
The Pope there is one creepy muthafucka
They're all creepy. I heard from "Angels & Demons" (DmC must have ripped off of that too) that the Pope has (or had back in the 16th century or w/e) a secret room to be able to get his freak on. Ew.

But hey, guy's gotta ****, right?

Edit:
We Didn't Start the Hair War
"Black hair!
****ing gay!
Blue jacket!
Go away..."

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

For starters the discussion was between me and DM and we having a decent one.

I have no idea what you were talking about.

My statement about Chancey was prior to the current conversation at hand and was a response to someone of if I have interest in joining a previous discussion. You came in a discussion that was settled prior to your entry to attack someone.

Sir I can see your riled up. Why not get away from the computer and relax. A soothing ice sundae will soothed any anger issues you may be exhibiting and feel the need to display on others.

This wasn't a fight nor did I start it. I entered this discussion using my own take on the matter but backed up with evidence and supporting details. DM replied and so did I.

What reference??? One movie when the topic was clearly shifting to DMC4 and Bleach. I changed the topic to Bleach rather than They Live for someone who was on other party even stated that DmC was clearly influenced by They Live, a point I was trying to make all this time, so I felt no need to drag on an discussion that reached its climax.

DM made bold statements such as Credo is just like Byakuya (which is he not) and that Kyrie and Orihime both had brown hair or brunettes (Orihime is a carrot top). Those are obvious examples of making frivolous claims without doing research on the subject.....hence BASELESS ACCUSATIONS.

I didn't say "He calls it at he sees it" Dragon Master himself said that exact quote and I recited it to show it to you but you were so dead set and rampant on proving me wrong you didn't seem to pay attention to each piece of both arguments or overlooked certain parts of both party's case.

One mustn't rush into things or they'll miss the valuable aspects of things.

A forum is a place where people of various different backgrounds, agendas, and purposes come to chat and engage in various activities and discussions and share their opinions, takes, and whatnot on topics of interest in many forms whether it be an open discussion, a debate, and even an argument or even express their likes and dislikes over the internet and not take it as seriously.

I highly respect that you take time to chill off and come back more cool headed to talk to me like as a respected member for your sake.

Meanwhile I'm watching RWBY.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
endless rant
A decent conversation? No, DM was trying to have decent conversation. You were just attacking him because he (gasp) had the audacity to say that DMC4 was less than perfect.

That monster. :mad:

Besides, even he thinks you're beyond all hope.
I'm not the one who needs to relax. I could care less. Have fun senselessly bashing your keyboard. Goodbye.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
Because everything must be judged in it's own merits, PERIOD.

You can make comparisons, sure. but you don't judge a person based on his brothers actions, you judge him on HIS actions, what he does right and what he does wrong

I think the same needs to be applied to everything, including gaming. The entire "The game is amazing, but since it's called X-3 and is pretty different from X-2 it sucks, they should´ve changed the name" is the most idiotic comment I've ever seen on the internet.

Just take a look at Final Fantasy:
-VII sucked because it had 3D graphics and it was made in a CDROM, so it ws bigger, at the time, everyone complained that Final Fantasy was dead because it was totally different from the others. The game was good, but as a final fantasy, it sucked (Look for posts from 1998 if you don't believe me)

-Now, a game that is not Final Fantasy VII does not deserve to be called Final Fantasy, and they would've been good games if they had other names...

The entire argument is just fanboyism

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Gotta love the arguments here. "DMC3/4 is just ripoff from anime and manga!" "DmC? No no, it doesn't take anything from anywhere at all!"

Gotta love you biased people~
Not all of us pros are biased here. Don't think our common logic is all that.

For the first one you said, I think the following threads below prove that argument because there are DMC1 fans who actually dislike DMC3/4 (they do like their gameplay though) and have made their valid reasons why they do:
As for the second one, we don't think that, and it's definitely not the first time something was ripped off from something else. However, both They Live and DmC are different. In They Live, you need glasses to see what others cannot; in DmC, you get dragged into Limbo, a twisted dimension which is a parody of Limbo City.
Nothing nowadays is original. Something new would bound to be influenced/inspired by something else!

For starters the discussion was between me and DM and we having a decent one.

I have no idea what you were talking about.

My statement about Chancey was prior to the current conversation at hand and was a response to someone of if I have interest in joining a previous discussion. You came in a discussion that was settled prior to your entry to attack someone.

Sir I can see your riled up. Why not get away from the computer and relax. A soothing ice sundae will soothed any anger issues you may be exhibiting and feel the need to display on others.

This wasn't a fight nor did I start it. I entered this discussion using my own take on the matter but backed up with evidence and supporting details. DM replied and so did I.

What reference??? One movie when the topic was clearly shifting to DMC4 and Bleach. I changed the topic to Bleach rather than They Live for someone who was on other party even stated that DmC was clearly influenced by They Live, a point I was trying to make all this time, so I felt no need to drag on an discussion that reached its climax.

DM made bold statements such as Credo is just like Byakuya (which is he not) and that Kyrie and Orihime both had brown hair or brunettes (Orihime is a carrot top). Those are obvious examples of making frivolous claims without doing research on the subject.....hence BASELESS ACCUSATIONS.

I didn't say "He calls it at he sees it" Dragon Master himself said that exact quote and I recited it to show it to you but you were so dead set and rampant on proving me wrong you didn't seem to pay attention to each piece of both arguments or overlooked certain parts of both party's case.

One mustn't rush into things or they'll miss the valuable aspects of things.

A forum is a place where people of various different backgrounds, agendas, and purposes come to chat and engage in various activities and discussions and share their opinions, takes, and whatnot on topics of interest in many forms whether it be an open discussion, a debate, and even an argument or even express their likes and dislikes over the internet and not take it as seriously.

I highly respect that you take time to chill off and come back more cool headed to talk to me like as a respected member for your sake.

Meanwhile I'm watching RWBY.

Take your time discussing with both DM and Unknown here.

Oh, you watch RWBY? Cool! It's an awesome Web Anime! Looks like both Ruby and Weiss had a bad start! >_<
There's an RWBY thread here (under the General Discussion category). I started it (but it's just for the first ep though). We can discuss it there if you like. :)

EDIT:
A decent conversation? No, DM was trying to have decent conversation. You were just attacking him because he (gasp) had the audacity to say that DMC4 was less than perfect.

That monster. :mad:

Besides, even he thinks you're beyond all hope.

I'm not the one who needs to relax. I could care less. Have fun senselessly bashing your keyboard. Goodbye.

Chill, man. Just chill...

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

Kid the fact all you do is say "If you can't see it, there's no helping you" is enough for me to submit this discussion for if you want to stick to your guts and original agenda then fine but if you don't have further evidence (or any evidence) to support your campaign then you've lost me.

Life is how we perceive things and if the way you perceive life is "I judge it based on how I see it" rather than diving deep into the context to see the actual meat and butter behind things and their origins then good luck.

PS I can see the references to Bleach but it doesn't mean DMC4 would've only gotten them from Bleach. The fact that DMC4 uses ideas and elements some of us wouldn't have pieced together on our own (such as the Lucifer and Berial reference) meaning it could've find its elements for the story ANYWHERE. We just target Bleach because its so popular and similar (when there are plenty of mediums video games, books, anime, movies, western, or eastern very similar and iconic to Bleach).

I mean there is no doubt that Bleach may have influenced Capcom when casting Johnny and Stephanie considering they did an amazing job portraying their roles as Ichigo and Orihime but when someone looks for a voice actor or any actor for a specific part they want to see an actor who performed a role or roles that is very identical or even a perfect parallel to the part they wanted to the actor to convey. Johnny was mostly chosen as Nero due to being the BLACK Power Ranger and the fact the Daniel and Reuben and even Mary and Jester/Arkham's mo-cap actors had roles in Power Ranger and can convey Nero pretty well since Nero gets violent and loud and is pretty animate in his actions. Plus they were both extremely popular and even close to each other. For all we know Johnny may have revered Stephanie for the role of Kyrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom