• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why judge this game on it's own merits? : An editorial by Mrrandomlulz

Status
Not open for further replies.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Because everything must be judged in it's own merits, PERIOD.

You can make comparisons, sure. but you don't judge a person based on his brothers actions, you judge him on HIS actions, what he does right and what he does wrong

I think the same needs to be applied to everything, including gaming. The entire "The game is amazing, but since it's called X-3 and is pretty different from X-2 it sucks, they should´ve changed the name" is the most idiotic comment I've ever seen on the internet.

Just take a look at Final Fantasy:
-VII sucked because it had 3D graphics and it was made in a CDROM, so it ws bigger, at the time, everyone complained that Final Fantasy was dead because it was totally different from the others. The game was good, but as a final fantasy, it sucked (Look for posts from 1998 if you don't believe me)

-Now, a game that is not Final Fantasy VII does not deserve to be called Final Fantasy, and they would've been good games if they had other names...

The entire argument is just fanboyism
On FF, I don't care on the changes. As long as the staples remain (like centered on crystals, iconic/symbolic creatures like chocobos, moogles, cactuars, etc, mysticism, summons, bad guy trying to bring the world usually to an end), it's still FF... It won't matter to me either way. Those are just opinions, fanboy or not...

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Because everything must be judged in it's own merits, PERIOD.
This right here. Wow, I can't -- feelings...

Just... this whole thread, right here.

Agree with this 100%.

Just take a look at Final Fantasy:
-VII sucked because it had 3D graphics and it was made in a CDROM, so it ws bigger, at the time, everyone complained that Final Fantasy was dead because it was totally different from the others. The game was good, but as a final fantasy, it sucked (Look for posts from 1998 if you don't believe me)
ZUUURRRR MAHHHH GUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR YUZ DARE SAY DAT FF7 IZ T3H WEAKSAUCE. PREPARE 2 DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Seriously though, I liked the cyberpunk aesthetic in FF7... that was the only thing I liked, though.
-Now, a game that is not Final Fantasy VII does not deserve to be called Final Fantasy, and they would've been good games if they had other names...
Yes it does. It says so right on the box.

NEXT FINAL FANTASY

SELL YOUR SHOES 2 BUY DIS GAME

U SUCK IF YOU DON'T PLAY.
This. I mean, both the opening and the ending of your argument encapsulates the entire counter-argument for this thread.

"Everything deserves to be judged by its own merits."

And --

"The entire initial argument is biased solely due to the fact that you're not willing to look at all aspects objectively."

For example:

I do not like the gameplay in DmC as much as DMC3. But I like it a hell of a lot better than DMC1. Not even lock-on could redeem DMC1's combat in my eyes.

There. You see? That's me judging the merits of each game fairly.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
A decent conversation? No, DM was trying to have decent conversation. You were just attacking him because he (gasp) had the audacity to say that DMC4 was less than perfect.

That monster. :mad:

Besides, even he thinks you're beyond all hope.

I'm not the one who needs to relax. I could care less. Have fun senselessly bashing your keyboard. Goodbye.

Who says I was attacking him? Did I ever say "DM your idiot for trying to argue with me"?

I guess attacking in your dictionary means disagreeing and giving reasons to back up such claims.

We were not arguing about DMC4's quality we were discussing where DMC4 may have gotten its prime influence from. He states it was Bleach. I concur and backed up my claim with evidence and its only when he threw the first stone
"Fine. If no one wants to accept the Bleach and DMC4 look alike, then I guess there's no helping it. I'm done here."

Do I look like I care? If anything you and him getting upset because I'm defending a game (a very trivial and stagnant issue) shows who needs to have their priorities straightened out.

Pffft..I'm as chilled as ice cubes eating dinner while watching some awesome RWBY.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Who says I was attacking him? Did I ever say "DM your idiot for trying to argue with me"?
You might as well have said that, for all the aggression in your posts. And don't think for a minute that you can convince me that you're "chilled as ice cubes".

Enjoy your animu.

Fran0823

DmC and DMC why can't we have both?
As I said before DMC4 is, in my eyes, the most mediocre of all the games. (Excluding DMC2 of course)

And here's my favorite review of it,Yahtzee's one, notice how he NEVER once talks about the past games, he just focus on the game itself. And while he does praise the combat, he exposes the numerous flaws of the game in a funny way.

for comparison, here's his DmC Review

aoshi

I think a sequel/reboot is not a 100% original to be judged solely on its "own merit". It also uses reputation and does not need to build one from ground up since everyone knows it from its predecessors.I am not saying its plagiarism but to judge a sequel/reboot on its own merit(even though it is using the brand-name/brand value of its predecessors), I am skeptical.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
You might as well have said that, for all the aggression in your posts. And don't think for a minute that you can convince me that you're "chilled as ice cubes".

Enjoy your animu.

See now your ASSUMING I had aggression in my posts when in fact it was mild indifference and being more direct and indiscreet about the subject. Plus no one can in fact sense the a person's intent in only text so easily. Plus if it was aggression it wasn't aggression towards him (DM) but more less dedication and competitiveness on my part being reflected in the mood of my posts.

Have you heard of it and watched it before? I'm mainly watching it because the guy who Red VS Blue and Dead Fantasy and I wanted to see how his next project is like (well its mainly for the action and the weapons for the story is really corny and generic....literally its Souls Eater without humans turning into weapons).

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
See now your ASSUMING I had aggression in my posts when in fact it was mild indifference and being more direct and indiscreet about the subject.
Yes, it's all an assumption. Quite right, Nero.

I concur and backed up my claim with evidence and its only when he threw the first stone
"Fine. If no one wants to accept the Bleach and DMC4 look alike, then I guess there's no helping it. I'm done here."
So, now you want to say that DM started the initial argument?

Yes, you're completely innocent in all of this, and it's all DM's fault. How could I have not have seen it sooner?? Thank you SN, for making me see the light.
Kid the fact all you do is say "If you can't see it, there's no helping you" is enough for me to submit this discussion for if you want to stick to your guts and original agenda then fine but if you don't have further evidence (or any evidence) to support your campaign then you've lost me.
See, the fact that you had the gall to call him "kid" reveals the intent of your post all by itself. It was derogatory. But you'll just try to deny it anyway -- like you always do.
Plus no one can in fact sense the a person's intent in only text so easily.
Could you sense the intent in my post? Let me know if you want me to walk you through it.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
You mind if I try and put a little input on this? I apologize if its already been noted and overlooked it. It's been a long day.

Pretty much what I got from this debate: neither game didn't ripoff anything. They were both inspired by ideas that were already established beforehand. Ideas that will continue to be reused over and over and over again just like every other freakin plot used in today's entertainment.

It's always been like that, and it will always be like that.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
It's always been like that, and it will always be like that.
Thank you. Geez, is it really that much of a problem that DmC is inspired by "They Live" and "The Matrix"? I'm just saying, it's like DMC was almost (I said almost) a direct carbon copy (as opposed to inspired only like in DmC) of Blade and Symphony of the Night, all while trying to hide that "inconvenient" fact.

Yes Dante, you're cooler than Alucard, can you please move on now?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
As I said before DMC4 is, in my eyes, the most mediocre of all the games. (Excluding DMC2 of course)

And here's my favorite review of it,Yahtzee's one, notice how he NEVER once talks about the past games, he just focus on the game itself. And while he does praise the combat, he exposes the numerous flaws of the game in a funny way.

for comparison, here's his DmC Review

Well Yahtzee is a critic he mainly highlights the bad aspects in video games with DMC4 and DmC his review seems very obtuse especially if didn't catch the joke for DmC at the end. Before he said that DmC had some problems (its easy, lackluster story but the combat and art design was able to make his row boat sea worthy but at the end of the review he sarcastically said he was though he would make his boat sea worthy. He is basically implying if you didn't get it that DmC wasn't sea worthy.

Plus Yahtzee didn't review the same aspects of each game. I mean he mentions the boss fights in DmC because they were bad while in DMC4 he didn't for he had no troubles. He only highlights the problems in games and makes fun of them while briefly mentioning the good aspects. Plus some of his issues with DMC4 could be labeled as petty such as having action packed cutscenes or not liking its style.

Plus Yahtzee never liked DMC since the beginning.

Plus Yahtzee makes excellent points but Yahtzee is the last person you want to go to for a fair review as he is mostly comedic relief and a critic.

I mean if you agree fine but I've seen all of his reviews and he is the last person whose opinion on a game I take to grain. Plus Yahtzee doesn't go in deep with the games he reviews he most mostly spends. Yathzee is mainly entertaining not accurate.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Well Yahtzee is a critic he mainly highlights the bad aspects in video games with DMC4 and DmC his review seems very obtuse especially if didn't catch the joke for DmC at the end.
Oh, so now you're a better critic than Yahtzee right?

Stop the presses. We have our next internet gaming icon.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yes, it's all an assumption. Quite right, Nero.

So, now you want to say that DM started the initial argument?

Yes, you're completely innocent in all of this, and it's all DM's fault. How could I have not have seen it sooner?? Thank you SN, for making me see the light.

See, the fact that you had the gall to call him "kid" reveals the intent of your post all by itself. It was derogatory. But you'll just try to deny it anyway -- like you always do.

Could you sense the intent in my post? Let me know if you want me to walk you through it.

Proving my point one step at a time. Koopo.

Who ever said it was DM's fault. I never said he started a fight and that comment came way after the initial argument even started.

No me calling him kid for he is acting like one for only kids go "I'm right, your wrong until you see it".

I have no interest in your intent for it serves no purpose of further continuing the growth of the discussion just causing more commotion.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
No it's not. Why am I not allowed to compare what DmC did better or worse in contrast to the previous games? Is it some holy rule so that DmC doesn't look as bad in the combat department when put next to DMC3/4? It's just an easy way to remove legit argument from the opposite side.

The circlejerking is strong in this post.

And on the topic about Yahtzee, taking is reviews 100% serious is quite stupid.

Me makes valid points when pointing out good and bad stuff in games but he turns everything on to 11 and exaggerates alot.

I remember his Monster Hunter 3 review. He barely got out of the tutorial part of the game and made a review based on that part alone. Very unjust review.

I suggest taking everything he says with a pinch of salt (or handful).

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Who ever said it was DM's fault.
You did.
I never said he started a fight and that comment came way after the initial argument even started.
I concur and backed up my claim with evidence and its only when he threw the first stone
So, now you're saying the argument happened before that comment? Didn't sound that way to me.

Plus Yahtzee never liked DMC since the beginning.
So, he's "unfit" to review DMC? No, please, explain it to me, before I misinterpret the meaning of your post. Being a fan of the game should have nothing to do with the actual review.

If anything, not being a fan would make Yahtzee perfectly unbiased towards the game, thus letting him give it fair judgement and not what he thinks it should be.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Oh, so now you're a better critic than Yahtzee right?

Stop the presses. We have our next internet gaming icon.

I never said I was a better critic than Yahtzee. I said since Yahtzee is a more of a comedic critic he doesn't review games as seriously as other people (granted he was way better than the mainstream reviewers such as IGN and Gamespot) and addresses each video or review differently.

And please get over yourself.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
And on the topic about Yahtzee, taking is reviews 100% serious is quite stupid.
Looks like we have another critic that's better than Yahtzee. Hooray.

I'm pretty sure Yahtzee takes his own reviews seriously, despite the comedic intent in his videos.

Besides, you would never have the courage to say that to his face.
And please get over yourself.
I'm not the one who needs to "get over myself". You're the one who's always "unflappable", not letting anything, "get past that cool exterior".

You're the one who's full of yourself, not me. Stop trying to act like you don't care. If you didn't then you wouldn't be regurgitating the same points over and over again and actually come up with a valid and fair argument.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
Looks like we have another critic that's better than Yahtzee. Hooray. I'm pretty sure Yahtzee takes his own reviews seriously, despite his comedic intent.

Besides, you would never have the courage to say that to his face.
Dear lord, did you even read the rest of my post? I never claimed to be better than Yahtzee.

You can stop with your ad hominem.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
You did.

So, now you're saying the argument happened before that comment? Didn't sound that way to me.

So, he's "unfit" to review DMC? No, please, explain it to me, before I misinterpret the meaning of your post. Being a fan of the game should have nothing to do with the actual review.

If anything, not being a fan would make Yahtzee perfectly unbiased towards the game, thus letting him give it fair judgement and not what he thinks it should be.

Yeah I missed post when I mentioned him not liking DMC since day 1 it was meant to be something else. I apologies. See I can admit when I'm wrong.

As for the following above. Its a sad shame when you cut out valuable information to prove your point for the parts that you cut out actually referred to how the argument or DMC4 and Bleach started before DM made the comment.

If anything I never said it was DM's fault for there is no one to blame here. Me and DM were having a discussion in which both parties disagreed with each other and I stated that I didn't like how DM was just going based on assumptions you came in throwing insults and assumptions at one of said party.

If anything I didn't want to say it but its namely your fault for making things escalate this far.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
DYou can stop with your ad hominem.
"Ad hominem"

Oh, did you get that off of your "Word of the Day" Calendar? I'm sure those English classes are paying off splendidly.

Ah, the old, "Did you even read my post" argument. It gives you a semblance of credibility while simultaneously trying to destroy mine. Nice try.

People here can easily see through that ruse. If you're trying to impress your audience, it isn't working.

Shouldn't you be worried about other things like... oh say, the economic crisis? You know, instead of being here and trying to prove that DMC4 hasn't "been inspired" by Bleach.

If anything I didn't want to say it but its namely your fault for making things escalate this far.

That's the worst kind of apology. The kind where you use it as a shield while still trying to derail the thread.

Yep, it's all my fault.All of it. And you had nothing to do with it.

And no, you can't admit to being wrong, as you've just proven in your latest post.

Here's a tip: If you're going to apologize, don't do it before implying that "someone else is to blame". It makes you look petty.

"I'm sorry, but this is still your fault."

No, I don't accept that "apology" and as long as you continue to talk to others that way, I never will.

And when you say that a situation is "sad" it still has an overall insulting tone. I could just as easily say that your blind devotion to DMC4 is equally sad, but I won't.

If anything I never said it was DM's fault
I pointed it out right here when you said it was.
for there is no one to blame here.
Is that why you're blaming me? Now your posts have gone beyond the realm of comprehension and into total insanity... actually, they already have a good while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom