• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why judge this game on it's own merits? : An editorial by Mrrandomlulz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
i'll be honest. i've never seen "they live" in it's entirety. i've seen bits and pieces but from what i've seen the only thing similar between the two is the "beings that secretly control humanity" idea
"I like to kick a$$ and chew bubblegum but, I'm all outta gum."

Holy sh!t dude. Duke Nukem ripped that off and is a plagiarizing b@satard!

Reactions: Jak

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
The whole battling with one-self thing has been done long before Bleach and anyway that's the only thing DmC has we can pull to compare while Dante and Vergil in DMC 3 are Inuyasha and his brother in more ways than one. DMC has always taken a lot of inspiration from Japanese cartoons. Dante himself is a hybrid of Cobra and Alucard.

You people are doing nothing but nitpicking.

DmC is not completely like They Live. Watch the goddamn movie. How can you literally try to talk about sh!t you don't even know about? It's a strawman argument. I can see a lot more stuff in DmC than just They Live. (1984 anyone?)

John Carpenter's films are quite influential. He made Halloween and look what Micheal Myers inspired for the horror genre.

They Live is a social satire and definitely not the first things to take shots at capitalism and corporate America. Not even the first one to use the whole alien angle. Fiction tends to feed on fiction. It's inevitable. You try making up a story and we'll be able to find something that done it before. Nothing is truly original anymore. And there's a fine line between inspiration and copy.

Also we cannot forget the inspiration of underground culture and movements which the DMC franchise like totally lost along the way as sequels rolled around. The allegory Devil May Cry can and was at one point. When I was younger I watched anime when I didn't even know what the word was and also a lot of stuff from before my time thanks to my parents so DMC 1 was like that thing that blended a lot of cool (yet cheesy) sh!t I liked. It's why I never really also warmed up to the jerk off that appeared in DMC 3.

Whatever though. I mean we're all just talking in circles anyway.

The whole battling with oneself has been done before but the Hollow Vergil and Hollow Ichigo has WAY too many similarities to just be a coincidence.

• They both look the same design wise (pale white skin, black sclera, and yellow eyes)
  • Both appear inside a world inside the users head in which both (Vergil/Ichigo) where unconscious (during the whole ordeal)
  • Both strip the user of their powers
  • Both are revered to as Hollow "insert user name"
  • Both goes through trials where they meet familiar people from their past (Ichigo his sworn enemies and Vergil those who've he felt betrayed him)
  • Defeating their "Hollow" side granted them more (well Vergil apparently)
As for DMC3 and the Inuyasha comparison thread there have been plenty stories of deep sibling rivalries and the 2 brothers in Inuyasha aren't very much alike to Dante and Vergil.

Outside their color scheme and cocky personality (traits Dante had since the first game) there is nothing alike about them and all similarities between Dante and Inuyasha can be traced back to DMC1 (being the son of a powerful demon and being granted his legendary sword).

• Dante and Vergil are both twins while Inuyasha and Sess are not.
  • Dante and Vergil are both half breeds while only Inuyasha is a half breed and Sess is a full demon.
  • Vergil has never shown to care about anyone (excluding his own brother) while Sess has shown to care for his loyal servant despite him being an hindrance at times and even a little human girl.
The only similarities between Vergil and Sess is that they both want their father's power (like that plot has never been used before). If anything the similarities between DMC and Inuyasha lessened with DMC3/4 where in DMC1 Dante was given Force Edge and Vergil Yamato but in DMC2/3 he was given Rebellion instead and in fact out of the 3 swords Dante was given the shorter stick has Yamato holds more use and importance whereas Inuyasha's father gave Inuyasha the better sword while he gave Sess the lesser one because he feels Sess shouldn't inherit his legacy. Sparda gave Vergil the better sword polar opposite of what Inuyasha's father did.

Obviously you should go back to pre-K and start school over to learn what satire is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uJR9Q6uVZo

DmC is filled with it. Even co-producer Alex Jones admitted and said out loud that DmC uses a lot of satire and satirical elements.

P.S. I've seen "They Live"....fun movie and I know Duke Nukem took a quote from that movie as well as plenty of other 80s and 90s action movies at the time. Duke Nukem embodies the charisma and soul of generic 80s ad 90s action movies such as Rambo and Army of Darkness.

However, there is no doubt They Live isn't the first to do this world governmental conspiracy plot before and DmC doesn't lose points to following the same thread either but its no doubt that DmC followed the same plot or idea doing so in the same or similar fashion of They Live.

DmC took a lot of influence and ideas from a lot of medium such as movies, shows, games, etc (some may be unintentional and by pure coincidence) its just seems They Live was big primary influence out of the rest maybe for the world and story for Dante sure as hell wasn't based off of Robby.

Besides I don't care if DmC took from They Live or any other show/movie/game. I'm only here to prove to those who argue against it. Granted the plot wasn't taken Limbo, neither are the characters, and even Limbo and its unlike what some thinks its not a complete rip off of They Live they only used one major plot element as well the whole hidden subliminal messages ideas very similar to They Live.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I almost started just seeing red there for a second. You gotta be kidding me.......

I freaking know what satire is and DmC can be considered something called a "social satire."

Oh no Hollow Vergil looks like something from that sh!tty f#cking Bleach show. And I didn't view as Vergil getting more powerful but the entire Vergil's Downfall campaign not literally happening at all. In his mind severing all ties of emotion to realize the potential he wants to reach.

And DMC 3 is totally freaking Inuyasha and has more comparisons to a Japanese cartoon than DmC ever has.
-They're both brothers with demonic heritage and even have similar color schemes
-Their father is responsible for their special swords
-One embraces a more human side and shows compassion for them while the other says hey demons > humans (Sesshomaru didn't show much compassion to humans until he met that f#cking little girl like 300 episodes in)
-One is pretty brash while the other is rather collected

You just totally inflated your comparisons when you were talking about DmC but when you started talking about DMC you just started getting really damn specific to narrow it down. Yea, we all know DMC 3 isn't an exact copy in every little detail (because we'd probably see lawsuits) but is it basically a lot like Inuyasha? Pretty much.

I'm tired of this stupid sh!t. Are you people for real?

Sorry if I'm getting too vicious but this is some BS man. :/

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
*le sigh* We're never gonna get any where yet I keep letting myself get dragged in to this silly crap. Man, just don't mind me. I've been just feeling terrible lately.

Let's all just chill here.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think the real question is: Why not judge the game on its own merits? Story-wise DmC is a lot different, but the gameplay, the really important part, still feels like DMC. So what's the big deal? Design changes I can live with. The story I don't care about. But the gameplay is still that top-notch awesome stylish combat we all love.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
I think the real question is: Why not judge the game on its own merits? Story-wise DmC is a lot different, but the gameplay, the really important part, still feels like DMC. So what's the big deal? Design changes I can live with. The story I don't care about. But the gameplay is still that top-notch awesome stylish combat we all love.

i guess people are comparing it to DMC3 and DMC4, who's gameplay was very in depth. so fare to the point where the story kinda sucked (but then again you don't care for story). in terms of gameplay it felt like a more modern DMC1 or DMC2. to me that is

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
i guess people are comparing it to DMC3 and DMC4, who's gameplay was very in depth. so fare to the point where the story kinda sucked (but then again you don't care for story). in terms of gameplay it felt like a more modern DMC1 or DMC2. to me that is

I guess people don't like it because it's ever so slightly slower, but I liked it that way. You could really feel the oomph behind every swing of your weapons.

And I never play games for story. I'll never understand "story-oriented" games, either. The main meat of a game is the gameplay itself, and if that's fun, everything else can be ignored.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I almost started just seeing red there for a second. You gotta be f#cking kidding me.......

I f#cking know what satire is and DmC can be considered something called a "social satire."

Oh no Hollow Vergil looks like something from that sh!tty f#cking Bleach show. And I didn't view as Vergil getting more powerful but the entire Vergil's Downfall campaign not literally happening at all. In his mind severing all ties of emotion to realize the potential he wants to reach.

And DMC 3 is totally freaking Inuyasha and has more comparisons to a Japanese cartoon than DmC ever has.
-They're both brothers with demonic heritage and even have similar color schemes (the color schemes been that way since DMC1 as red is the national color of a hero in Japan, which is why the main Power Ranger or Super Sentai in Japan is red, and white hair signifies demonic possession or affiliation in Japanese mythology and lore. Also Sesshomaru doesn't wear blue and blue has been a key color to Vergil/Nelo Angelo since DMC1)
-Their father is responsible for their special swords (been that way since DMC1 as well Sparda created both Yamato and Force Edge)
-One embraces a more human side and shows compassion for them while the other says hey demons > humans (Sesshomaru didn't show much compassion to humans until he met that f#cking little girl like 300 episodes in) (for starters Inuyasha only has 167 episodes, 193 episodes if you count Final Act, and Sesshomaru met Rin in episode 35. Learn your facts before you start spouting nonsense. Also Sesshomaru is a full demon he doesn't need to feel compassion for humans for he is not but has shown to be compassionate and understand the values of loyalty and friendship one versus Vergil he shows compassion to no one human or demon and shows no value for friendship or loyalty but himself. Vergil has no personal preference he disregards his human side, for unlike Sesshomaru he has one, to embrace his demon side for the sake of power for he feels his human side is holding him back whereas Sesshomaru feels nothing his holding back because he has no human side to hold him back)
-One is pretty brash while the other is rather collected (yes cause I name hundreds of brother duos in various form of fictions with this same quality. A hot headed brother and a calm collected one (Red Oni, Blue Oni) is a very common trope)

You just totally inflated your comparisons when you were talking about DmC but when you started talking about DMC you just f#cking started getting really damn specific to narrow it down. Yea, we all know DMC 3 isn't an exact copy in every little f#cking detail (because we'd probably see lawsuits) but is it basically a lot like Inuyasha? Pretty much.

I'm tired of this stupid sh!t. Are you people for f#cking real?

Sorry if I'm getting too vicious but this is some BS man. :/

Its similar to Inuyasha for it explores similar concepts that Inuyasha used when writing its story but there are a lot of stories similar to Inuyasha (western, eastern, anime, or not) Inuyasha's themes of inheritance, sibling rivalry, reincarnation, redemption, son's desire to inherit his father's legacy, and etc aren't elements exclusive to it.

Also, a lot of the similar elements between Inuyasha and DMC(3) stems from plot elements carried over from DMC1 to DMC3. Vergil wears blue in DMC3 because blue was his main color in DMC1, Sparda's swords, and Dante's colors himself such as red and white and his cocky and brash attitude came from DMC1 although DMC3 just made him more cockier and brasher. Hell if Itsuno and co didn't change Dante's main sword to Rebellion it would've been more like Inuyasha. So by claiming that DMC3 is like Inuyasha your also insinuating that DMC1 is a lot like Inuyasha for it could've taken influence from it and considering Inuyasha came out in 1996 is a possibility.

Plus Dante and Inuyasha aren't alike that much sure they can both be cocky (as do a lot of heroes) and brash but Inuyasha is much more impulsive and wild while Dante is way more playful and campy.

As for the whole Hollow Vergil ordeal, do you have proof that was all just some crazy dream. I mean DmC has shown that the world inside Dante's is an actual place or realm inside Dante's head so by proclaiming those events in Downfall never transpired and that it was all some crazy dream sequence would assume that the times that Dante goes in his head were the same as well. I mean Dante unlocked his DT and his many other abilities there which boosted his fighting prowess and demonic power so its not far fetched that the same would happen to Vergil.

Plus Vergil not getting more powerful?

I guess Vergil always had the ability to control demons and can spike his hair and have glowing eyes with pulsating veins?

Just like whenever Dante goes inside his head to unlock some new power, the same or something similar happened to Vergil and he awakened with an ability he never had before to control demons (one must be of high power to achieve such a feat like Mundus) an army of them as well. Vergil's experience in Downfall gave him more power than he ever had and demons respect him.

IncarnatedDemon

TINGLING.

JESUS H.

Edit:

Considering how few allies you have to begin with, ******* off people who actually agree with your opinion isn't really the best idea.

Oh, and you suck, Chancey. :troll:
When your awesame, you realize something. You know what you realize?...alleys are not needed.

and im awesame.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Yeah me and IncarnatedDemon are not allies. We're just 2 different parties who tend to fight against/for the same thing.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Christ Chancey when will you finally grow up and evolve into a Blissey already?
There's now an evolution for Chancey? F#ck. Original 151 for life. I didn't keep up with Pokemon.

Also just saying I wasn't thinking of Pokemon when I made this name. It's for another reason.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
There's now an evolution for Chancey? F#ck. Original 151 for life. I didn't keep up with Pokemon.

Also just saying I wasn't thinking of Pokemon when I made this name. It's for another reason.

What reason?

Yeah we have like 600+ pokemon now with like 100+ more on the way.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
What reason?

Yeah we have like 600+ pokemon now with like 100+ more on the way.
My real name is Chance. I use to date this girl who'd call me Chancey and it just kind of caught on with everyone else I knew and stuck with people still occasionally calling me that.

I don't think I can do the Pokerap anymore now and that's depressing.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
hold up...HOW THE **** DID WE START TALKING ABOUT EVOLUTION!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom