• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why judge this game on it's own merits? : An editorial by Mrrandomlulz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
The way I see it either chancy's gonna go straight for the DMC4 sux kill, but Either you or Stylish Nero wil lretaliate with a wel lresearched counter that will no doubt inflame either me or TWOXACROSS and finally Alittleacorn will possibly change the discussion with something cute to which Loopy or LysseC or me will go along with.

That's my prodiction to this battle. But I don't want much spoilers.

*nums on popcorn*

Not bad but I have no reason to enter a debate with a guy whose head is so far up his bum he thinks he is seeing Jesus and Jesus tells him how special and intelligent he is.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
Ninja Theory claimed that the combat in DmC would be as good as DMC3/4 combat or even better.

Is it my fault then for comparing when they make such claims?

berto

I Saw the Devil
DMC3 did borrow a few elements from Inuyasha

Ok, I keep seeing this but I don't get it. What exactly did DMC get from InuYasha? There is nothing from DMC3 that originated from that, I agree that there are parallels but it has never been suggested that InuYasha was the source. The only place that anything of that nature has ever been mentioned was derived from fans and never from the horse's mouth, and that horse has never shied away from mentioning where it got inspiration so I don't put stock in the idea that there is anything InuYasha in DMC3.

Back to the point, if it never reached the standards of the original. Why should DMC fans judge it by it's own merits? That would be merely MASKING the disappointment at the fact that it didn't meet the original.

Because, if you allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment, it's not meant to be a DMC game. Sure it carries the name but the nature of the world, the target audience, the personalities, the themes, and even the influences are completely different from the original's. It want's to be a separate entetee, a totally different animal, and while it is, at it's most fundamental, a DMC game, its not really a DMC.

IncarnatedDemon

Ok, I keep seeing this but I don't get it. What exactly did DMC get from InuYasha? There is nothing from DMC3 that originated from that, I agree that there are parallels but it has never been suggested that InuYasha was the source. The only place that anything of that nature has ever been mentioned was derived from fans and never from the horse's mouth, and that horse has never shied away from mentioning where it got inspiration so I don't put stock in the idea that there is anything InuYasha in DMC3.

Because, if you allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment, it's not meant to be a DMC game. Sure it carries the name but the nature of the world, the target audience, the personalities, the themes, and even the influences are completely different from the original's. It want's to be a separate entetee, a totally different animal, and while it is, at it's most fundamental, a DMC game, its not really a DMC.
That does not make any sense...

From story to gameplay to character its taken DMC stuff.
That gameplay that you see in DmC, gameplay the core of videogames, the thing that defines videogames.
Its from DMC.
So what the hell is it trying to be if not a DMC game?

Because the core of DmC is compared to DMC not much different but a inferior version of it. And it failed to do so because of developers, not because it was intended to be inferior.

And i know how NT focused the project (story and dynamic enviroments>gameplay), but their goal alongside Capcom was to make the perfect DMC game.

Your doing a bad job at devils advocate.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
why do people keep going straight for "they live". the whole illuminati concept has been around for some time now...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
why do people keep going straight for "they live". the whole illuminati concept has been around for some time now...

Because a lot of complaints don't have a lot to back them up, so it's easy to fall back on "this ripped off that." Although, that in and of itself is usually wrong because there's a difference between plagiarism and inspiration :/

berto

I Saw the Devil
So what the hell is it trying to be if not a DMC game?

It's trying to be a more accessible version of DMC. It's trying to replace alot of what was DMC with elements and narrative that are more accessible to the standard pedestrian and even if it has the root elements (ea: Dante, Vergil, Demons, guns and swords, Mundus, Sparda, Eva, and so on) it has morphed them, alternated them so that there is very little of them left and replaced them with more western versions that are made to attract a large crowd of people who would otherwise not be interested in such a 'Japanesy' subject matter. Keeping names, motifs, and gameplay that it gathered from the previous titles does not a DMC game make. It seems more like a game based on DMC and much of it was treated like that, like a new IP.

The director said it himself. Even before that the implication is rather obvious.

IncarnatedDemon

I realize they tried to appeal to more people. But they have said that their goal was to gain new audience and at same time keep DMC fans. If DmC was meant to be a dumbed down DMC.
Then what was all that "Dont worry hardcore fans we got u covered! Try the game!".
And what was the statement from Capcom about over 90s score and perfect DMC game?

I know they were catering to westerns, but they at same time wanted to make a DMC game.
There was no doubt that they were going for a DMC game not a "DMC" or a new ip.

Seriously , havent u watched the interview where they constantly talk about DMC DNA? There as no doubt in my mind or anyone elses mind that they were going for a westernized version of DMC games. They werent trying to make a game BASED on DMC or a new ip.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I don't think anyone here knows what they meant by DMC DNA. Hell I don't even think they knew at the time.

Edit: I wish Tameen still kept his hair that style. It actually looked good on him.

Dusk Stalker

" Everybody gets a bullet!" -Axton
I realize they tried to appeal to more people. But they have said that their goal was to gain new audience and at same time keep DMC fans. If DmC was meant to be a dumbed down DMC.
Then what was all that "Dont worry hardcore fans we got u covered! Try the game!".
And what was the statement from Capcom about over 90s score and perfect DMC game?

DMC Fan : I don't like the game, it just doesn't have that soul DMC had.

Capcom: Okay, don't like it don't buy it.
DMC Fan: Okay we won't.

three months later

Capcom and Reviewers: WHY DIDN'T YOU SUPPORT THE GAME?!! IT GOT 90'S, ITS ULTIMATE AND PERFECT!!! YOU GUYS KILLED THE GAME BECAUSE IT DIDN'T APPEAL TO YOU AND YOU VOICED YOUR OPINIONS!!

Well mostly tantrums but then again I didn't see most of them, so I don't know :3

aoshi

people who turn up their noses to a sequel game *solely* because it doesn't meet or surpass the originals are annoying as bawls.

Thats exactly wat i meant when i said:
Discrediting a product SOLELY by comparing to its predecessors is not valid.

At the same time, I can't agree when anyone refuses a LOGICAL comparison to originals either. Actually, DmC did use a lot of elements from previous games(Devil bringer mechanics, basic <dodge, counter, combo-ing > , flashy air combos, multiple weapons, secret missions,a style guage, upgrades,devil trigger and demons). So if we take out core elements of DMC style gameplay, USP characters like dante, vergil(who are basically from the predecessors), DmC does not have anything original to be given credit on its "own merits".

Though, i do give credit for soundtrack,kat and plat-forming.

berto

I Saw the Devil

Yes, they did say that, doesn't mean I think it was true. Through out the campaign there were a lot of those slogans claiming that they were trying to appeal to the fans of the original but that means nothing if their actions were contradictory to those statements. It's called advertising, they weren't going to tell potential buyers that they weren't interested in what they had to say because they were chasing a bigger fish.

I don't remember that going so well, there were alot of glitches, many a criticism and some overzealous youtube videos.

As for Capcom's statements? I remember reading similar things about DMC4. It got great scores and it sold well, still not quite as good as it's immediate predecessor as they promised. I also remember Kobayashi saying that we just need to give Nero a chance and play as him before judging.

I know they were catering to westerns, but they at same time wanted to make a DMC game.

Who wouldn't? But in reallity the original concep for this game was even further from what a DMC game would precent, isn't it? Demons running mental institutions, a scrawny kid been tortured, smocking teenager who who fights demons. The themes of the final product aren't even that close to those in other DMC games nor are they trying to be. It's like fanfiction written by someone whose only played DMC3 once and wanted to write a comic book plot.

There was no doubt that they were going for a DMC game not a "DMC" or a new ip.

I disagree, I genuinely think they wanted to create an entirely new vision with the same names and relationships. Just looking at the concept art of the game I have no doubt that they had no intention of making anything remotely related to the original. In fact, that was the idea, wasn't it? Something so drastically different that it would shock the folks at Capcom. That's what they said to the people at NT, You need to shock us.

Seriously , havent u watched the interview where they constantly talk about DMC DNA? There as no doubt in my mind or anyone elses mind that they were going for a westernized version of DMC games. They werent trying to make a game BASED on DMC or a new ip.
Oh, well, if they said so it must be true.

I've seen just about all the interviews, videos, articles, and media related to the game. Like I said, just looking at the concept art for the game I can tell that they were going for something that wasn't that much like the original. That's not to say that they were making it so different that it was completely devoid of anything from the original, I shouldn't make it sound so final, but it is very different. The gameplay is not intact, the characters are unrecognizable, the themes are completely different, the nature of the characters has changed, even the demons. So, yeah, I'm sure they added some 'DMC DNA' for fan service but they also refused to compromise in a lot of areas that really puts this game in a different section of my game collection... if I still had a copy.

I also remember the really poor PR they displayed when they made the interviews, discussed how they viewed Japanese themes and concepts, a few insulted fans, and whole other mess.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
"DMC DNA" refers to the free-form combo system mixing different melee weapons and firearms together, increasing a Style meter based on aggression and varied flashy moves moves, while also making use of things like cancels.

A game's DNA could be considered what defines it at its core as a game, before characters, plot, setting, and even a title are considered. It's what other games emulate when they've "ripped off" or "clone" another. Dante's Inferno is a God of War "rip off/clone" because it's essentially using that "God of War DNA."

Likewise If DmC had no ties to the DMC franchise, there'd be a whole lot of "this is a clone of DMC" going around.

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Then sit there, eat this popcorn, and watch.
popcorn.jpg
Can I haz popcorn too? I like popcorn!

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

Because Tameem himself said he got inspiration from "They Live" when writing DmC and unlike many governmental conspiracy based stories They Live and DmC are the only ones to use hidden subliminal messages and the fact this non-human species (aliens/demons) controls people through exploiting their daily life and activities.

dmc-trailer-analysis-3.png
images

Besides DmC rips of....I mean take influence from many other mediums including anime.

hollow_vergil_by_alchemistfromeden-d5w5vvt.png
hollow_ichigo_smiles_by_mifang.jpg

I mean DMC, a Japanese made game, does it all of a sudden its label bishonen crap while DmC, a western centric game made to appeal to westerners, does it its okay?

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The whole battling with one-self thing has been done long before Bleach and anyway that's the only thing DmC has we can pull to compare while Dante and Vergil in DMC 3 are Inuyasha and his brother in more ways than one. DMC has always taken a lot of inspiration from Japanese cartoons. Dante himself is a hybrid of Cobra and Alucard.

You people are doing nothing but nitpicking.

DmC is not completely like They Live. Watch the goddamn movie. How can you literally try to talk about sh!t you don't even know about? It's a strawman argument. I can see a lot more stuff in DmC than just They Live. (1984 anyone?)

John Carpenter's films are quite influential. He made Halloween and look what Micheal Myers inspired for the horror genre.

They Live is a social satire and definitely not the first things to take shots at capitalism and corporate America. Not even the first one to use the whole alien angle. Fiction tends to feed on fiction. It's inevitable. You try making up a story and we'll be able to find something that done it before. Nothing is truly original anymore. And there's a fine line between inspiration and copy.

Also we cannot forget the inspiration of underground culture and movements which the DMC franchise like totally lost along the way as sequels rolled around. The allegory Devil May Cry can and was at one point. When I was younger I watched anime when I didn't even know what the word was and also a lot of stuff from before my time thanks to my parents so DMC 1 was like that thing that blended a lot of cool (yet cheesy) sh!t I liked. It's why I never really also warmed up to the jerk off that appeared in DMC 3.

Whatever though. I mean we're all just talking in circles anyway.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
I notice most people who make that comparison have never even seen the movie. I tested them.

i'll be honest. i've never seen "they live" in it's entirety. i've seen bits and pieces but from what i've seen the only thing similar between the two is the "beings that secretly control humanity" idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom