• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

WHY do you want a DMC5 for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IncarnatedDemon

I can be honest and say i don't like DmC Dante. Not because he is different or he is more relateable (i cant relate to him at all tbh). For one i dont find him particular appealing, for two he is emulating Dante.

In contrast to some people who will complain about DMC being to animeish when it was made and shaped by japanese who have anime in their culture.

People who liked the gameplay but used "it's to animeish" to ridicolue the character because it wasnt in their taste.

If you don't like a character, simple advice:
get away from that character and dont ask him to be changed.

Let me give you a list of characters i dont care for, dont translate this as "i dislike them":
Kratos
Nathan Drake
Mass effect characters
Cole from Infamous
Heller from Prototype 2
Raziel (i really like him but i am a Kain guy, but Raziel is cool character none the less)
Tomb Raider

Because i don't find these characters particular awesome (Raziel stands out, i like him alot but just not a fan) i dont go complaining about how they are the way they are.
I dont ask them to change. And CHANGE consists of natural and unatural change, in a real life perspective and a fictional perspective. A reboot is not a natural change (reboot is term pioonered by corporate greed).

If you don't like a character, go find a character you like.
NOTHING by DMC artstyle makes it bad. On the contrary DMC 1 was not animeish at all, and so what if it was? Like i said having a anime artstyle doesn't make a story or characters bad. It is the presentation and the depth of the story/characters.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Having a anime artstyle doesn't make a story or characters bad. It is the presentation and the depth of the story/characters.

2prse94.jpg

IncarnatedDemon

tumblr_mb6njlQX411qftwhy.jpg

I believe ethnocentrism plays a significant role in why japanese games dont sell as well as others.

Are japanese story or character portrayals shallow and "animelike"?

Let me tell you something about a Naruto character portrayal ok?
First i want to say that Naruto is like any other story not perfect, and in middle of the mud you will find a small diamond if you look carefully.
Point: It has GREAT things in it.

This is Gaara from Naruto
http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/7800000/Gaara-3-sabaku-no-gaara-7854228-580-427.jpg

Before Gaara was born his father put a demon inside him during pregnacy. Demons like this was put into humans to have them controll their power so that they could use it as military power.
Gaara's mother died before he could see her. When he was born he was so small and weak.

As Gaara grew up his childhood consisted of people keeping a distance from him because they knew he had the demon known as "Shukaku" (sand demon) inside of him. Shukaku was feared by people, and then people feared Gaara. And when they looked at Gaara they looked past the boy and saw a demon.
This was when Gaara was below age of 8.

Gaara had a support in his life though. His uncle. And Gaara even though he had pain in his heart (because of the coldness from people around him, including his father + no mother there for him), he managed to not change and fall to a bad path (filled with hate, and anger and destruction).
His uncle (brother of his mother) told Gaara that the mark on his head said "Love", and explained that his mother loved him alot.

One day his father wanted to test if Gaara could controll the power of the demon even if he was lied to. He ordered his uncle to lie to Gaara and tell him that his mother did not love him.
He did so. And Gaara was hurt so much. His uncle was even ordered to say things he did not mean (or so i think?). Such as his uncle said that he hated Gaara because his birth took the life of his sister (his uncle partially blamed Gaara for that but he wasnt all evil person).
And his uncle said that his mother gave birth to Gaara to remind the world of her hate for the world. That Gaara was a monster she gave birth to for sake of making people suffer.

Gaara's heart went into chaos. He found no peace in "love". Noone loved him. He becme very cold. He grew up again and became a murderer. He forgot what love was (as kid he had alot of love in his heart). He killed people who annoyed him or got in his way.

Fast forward: When Gaara faced his undead father, his father revealed that everything he knew was a lie.
You see Gaara had a protection mechanism related to the demon inside of him. Everytime someone tried to stab Gaara with a knife or something a sand would quickly guard him.
This was believed to be the demon protecting Gaara as Gaara was his host (container of the demon).
His father said that was false. That the protective mechanism was her mothers love for Gaara that influenced the demons sand powers to do that to protect Gaara from danger.
Because remember when demon was put into Gaara, his mother was pregnant with him. So her pregnacy seemed to have influenced the demons powers in a way.

MY POINT:
You people who say that anime is "animish" or "eeww" are idiots. You look at a book and think "Ewww that cover is ugly. Probably a bad book".

Naruto isn't a master piece. It has it's nice things, and it is really great.
But believe me friend, DmC story isn't in a league different or better than Narutos.

P.S I don't read or watch Naruto for the overall story (it sucks). I watch it for the side stories that are meaningful.

IncarnatedDemon

Here is a video that shows how Gaara lived a life of solittude. Naruto who is also main character, saved Gaara. Because he like Gaara was a jincuinriki (container/host of demon). Naruto understood Gaara's pain so well, because Naruto even though he got friends unlike Gaara, he did go through same hardship as Gaara.
People looked at Naruto in same way as Gaara. But the leader of the village Naruto was in made a rule that "Noone is to talk about the demon inside Naruto", to protect Naruto.

And here is a "animish" quote for all you anime haters. From One piece

"People don't die of ilness or disease. The day when people die is the day they are forgotten".
- Dr Hilik or something from One Piece

"For the fanbase"? Are you implying that every person that is part of the fanbase agree with that statement? "Fanbase" isn't one person.

"Anime-ish"? Is this a serious argument? I readed the whole thread and I still don't get it.

Anime-ish is the new "He's a fictional Character you shouldn't care about him" It doesn't make sense. But here it doesn't need too. Anything goes here.

Before the whole fictional character thing it was something else, the new "reason of the week why we hated old DMC" Is always great to look forward to.

Oooooh~ Weekend's coming up. Can't wait to hear the next reason on Monday.
Garfield hates Mondays but I freaking love them here.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Off-topic: Fact is Fairy Tail wasn't cancelled. It went on hiatus since it got close to the manga so they need more time. At least there is an OVA 5 release. Anyways, the current arc is good.

Wow, what a total whinefest this is.

For the fanbase, he was some sort of an 'icon', but for the ordinary gamer, he was just another video game character. Sorry, but thru DMC3 and DMC4, the franchise turned into a more anime-ish style. Aside from Fairy Tail, my favorite anime show is Black Lagoon. Heck, it wasn't even anime-ish to begin with and I can even compare it to DmC.

If any video game character that I can consider an 'icon', it'll be Solid Snake. Oh, and Big Boss.

I don't fully agree with Cherry's words because she's clearly annoyed with the DmC fans, but she has one point: Dante is indeed an iconic character, he's in peoples minds to hack'n'slash games just like Ryu, Iori and Scorpion are to fighters or Mario and Sonic are to plataformers/adventure. I think he and Kratos are the most iconic for the hack'n'slash genre, but hack'n'slash is a "new" genre of videogames, i see it as an evolution to early beat'n'up games to 3D environment and more sophisticated mechanics.

And i kinda agree with people saying it's hard to believe that people who doesn't care for Dante and the old series overall doesn't look like fans of the franchise as a whole. I'll try to put it in a more gentle way than the other "antis" like me put here: This new game just came nearly 3 months ago, the new characters just come to life now and people just doesn't have so much story with them as they had with the old cast. For me, Dante represents a cool character that i expended a lot of my time in my adolescence and the beginning of my adulthood (which is nowadays), for sure he's not a realistic character or have a deep story like Solid or Big Boss has, but still we care for him because he's cool and because he represents something to us, DMC games and the anime shows to us the importance of family, humanity (that humanity each human has inside, not the group that comprise all the people in the world), faith (believe that you can make it out in bad situations), friends and says to us that being a "devil" is not just a matter of how a person is defined but more about what they have in their hearts (Dante/Sparda being a kind devil represents this and Arkham being a devilish human as the opposite) as Lady says in the end of DMC3: "[...] But now I realize that there are humans as evil as any devil as well as kind and compassionate demons in this universe. At least I've found one so-called "devil" who is able to shed tears for those he cares about. That's enough for me to believe in him."
I mean, this is the kind of things i would try and teach to a son of mine. I really like the morals behind all the things that happens in DMC, and Dante presents all this beautiful things in a fun and entertaining way. One thing that DMC series had besides all the problems of storyline and plot, is that the characters are quite unique (mainly in DMC3) and has their very own ways of expressing things: Lady talks by his angryness, Vergil talks using his sword and Dante talks by his carefree attitudes and funny one-liners.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I One thing that DMC series had besides all the problems of storyline and plot, is that the characters are quite unique

Inb4 posting Inuyasha, Ragna the blood edge and Archer pics.

But seriously i agree with you on the part where Lady says that speech. It simplifies of what the series is all about and the deep complex values and the relationship of Humanity and Demons.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I and many others get called an anti just for liking the old Devil May Cry series. Here on a forum dedicated to Devil May Cry.

Just fighting fire with ice that's all. You can't win.
You can't win so you stoop to their level? That hardly sounds like the right thing to do. I don't mind you not liking DmC but it really irks me when you generalize an entire base because of the acts of several irrational people.
Why thank you. I am a master of comedy, after all.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
You can't win so you stoop to their level? That hardly sounds like the right thing to do. I don't mind you not liking DmC but it really irks me when you generalize an entire base because of the acts of several irrational people.

Why thank you. I am a master of comedy, after all.

Cheeser, i think their point is more about much of the DmC fans on this forum saying that they are indeed fans of the old series but still doesn't give so much importance for it being substituted by this new series, besides liking the new series it's kinda weird be a fan and want to see your loved series die even without a decent ending or a better explanation of what's going on at all (mainly for DMC4 events and characters, i would say).

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Cheeser, i think their point is more about much of the DmC fans on this forum saying that they are indeed fans of the old series but still doesn't give so much importance for it being substituted by this new series, besides liking the new series it's kinda weird be a fan and want to see your loved series die even without a decent ending or a better explanation of what's going on at all (mainly for DMC4 events and characters, i would say).
Not EVERYONE on this forum does that and I don't like being lumped into a group and be blamed for something I did not do. I criticize the old DMC games quite a lot but it's not because I hate them. I just want Capcom to do better and I know they can. I do not want either DMC or DmC to die as the devil may cry franchise is quite frankly number 1 on my "Favourite Game Franchises" list. IIRC, Capcom have said that they can continue DMC and DmC if they will it so I'm not too worried at the moment.

DmcJACKPOT

Let's rock!
personally, nobody wanted a DmC (back then at least) or need it,they didn't want a reboot, this game doesn't need a reboot
They were expecting it. It's true that things are changing but this game doens't exactly need it

Zey

I came here to laugh at you.
Not EVERYONE on this forum does that and I don't like being lumped into a group and be blamed for something I did not do. I criticize the old DMC games quite a lot but it's not because I hate them. I just want Capcom to do better and I know they can. I do not want either DMC or DmC to die as the devil may cry franchise is quite frankly number 1 on my "Favourite Game Franchises" list. IIRC, Capcom have said that they can continue DMC and DmC if they will it so I'm not too worried at the moment.
No one said "all DmC supporters are like this". Still, almost every supporter here is always generalizing about those that don't like the game, too much hypocricy here.
Anime-ish is the new "He's a fictional Character you shouldn't care about him" It doesn't make sense. But here it doesn't need too. Anything goes here.

Before the whole fictional character thing it was something else, the new "reason of the week why we hated old DMC" Is always great to look forward to.

Oooooh~ Weekend's coming up. Can't wait to hear the next reason on Monday.
Garfield hates Mondays but I freaking love them here.
I like how they need to bash the original series for support the new one with these "arguments". Let's complaint about the cowboy thing again.
Inb4 posting Inuyasha, Ragna the blood edge and Archer pics.
BlazBlue is the new DMC.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3

I agree with you, Capcom can make a much better game story-wise and etecetera, but it can pay its price too if they take the wrong direction: look, games are designed based on their purposes to exist and give the experience the devs wanted the players to have. I highly doubt that you can make a game as imersive as Metal Gear Solid and relying too much on depth and well balanced mechanics and combat-design, i mean, a game like MGS needs some cutscenes, some interaction with the story and the feelings of the protagonist himself, and some "cinema" experience for the player to fully experience the feelings the developers wanted them to feel, like in MGS4 when you go back to Shadow Moses, man, that was an freaking awesome experience, seriously but i would be just silly to do it in a Devil May Cry game, imagine a MGS game but in the world of Devil May Cry, they're intended to give different experiences. But the thing that comes a bit contradictory from people who criticize the old DMC experience is that they want that kind of MGS-ish experience that i described in a hack'n'slash game, i mean: it's nearly impossible to do that, games who tries to be all in the same package end up being average in all its purposes because it had no focus on some areas, in order to make some things you have to sacrifice others. I'm not stating that's me who defines what you need or not to play, but people who seeks that kind of experience in DMC are just "doing it wrong", they tastes converge to different genres and not the hack'n'slashs.

One game that give me an exepcional experience in most of his purposes is Dark Souls, but his storytelling is kinda weird as you have to pay attetion at environment, item descriptions and NPC dialogues, the game doesn't tell his story if you don't seek it. So it's a game that can be an awesome experience in most areas, as it's gameplay is not complex but has some variety and a bit of depth (but, it's still an RPG, ang logically it has less depth than DmC for example).

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
No one said "all DmC supporters are like this". Still, almost every supporter here is always generalizing about those that don't like the game, too much hypocricy here.
Well I don't do it or at least I try my best to avoid doing so.

I'm not expecting the best story ever. I just want a story with a plot that isn't too obvious. I mean, scriptwriting is usually done by a small group of people and having good writers doesn't really interfere with the development of game-play in any significant way.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
"For the fanbase"? Are you implying that every person that is part of the fanbase agree with that statement? "Fanbase" isn't one person.

"Anime-ish"? Is this a serious argument? I readed the whole thread and I still don't get it.

Well it's like how people complain that DmC's too western-ish so yeah, this is the argument. A stupid hypocritical argument, but an argument none the less.

IncarnatedDemon

Well it's like how people complain that DmC's too western-ish so yeah, this is the argument. A stupid hypocritical argument, but an argument none the less.
Of all DMC related stuff i've read i BARELY have seen people talk about DmC being to "westernish". All they expressed was "drug addict", "emo" and other garbage.

i.e nothing to do with fact the game has a western artstyle.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Of all DMC related stuff i've read i BARELY have seen people talk about DmC being to "westernish". All they expressed was "drug addict", "emo" and other garbage.

i.e nothing to do with fact the game has a western artstyle.

Well apparently there are people who think DmC is too westernized. I think that's really odd considering Dante wore a cowboy-like outfit in DMC4.:/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom