• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why do people hate DmC Dante so much?

Why do you like DmC Dante?

• Total voters

Serial Killer Dante

Wielder of Dante's Soul
You seem to think you're pretty well versed on who the new Dante is and the kind of game DmC will be. I don't know you, but I'll take your word for it since you seem to know what you're talking about.

However, what I'm getting from you is that if only the skeptics/haters/whatever knew all the things about new Dante/DmC that you did then they would like him. Don't you think that's just a tad unfair? I do.

Although, if I'm dead wrong and you mean something else then please explain. But that's what I'm getting from you.

It sucks that I have to oversimplify things to such an extent. I feel like I need to drill this into everyone's head "We don't care if you don't care about new Dante." All I'm doing is helping one understand certain themes that they said they didn't like because it's "pointless". Without understanding themes you can't experience what's in front of you. I've given them the point of the theme and now I'm just jabbing them with it and they refuse to say "Ow". At least let me know that what I've said is effecting you on a "Oh I get it now." level. The level that alot of people here are lacking or are struggling to get to.​
We don't know everything about Dante but the pieces to understand him better are there. I took those pieces and though incomplete; I believe I have better insight on the protagonist than anyone's counter argument in this thread. I'm not trying to persuade any of you to like the new Dante, just be educated enough to stand by it if someone asked you to dissect why you don't.​
Now I wanna go over the list that they previously posted about why they don't like the new Dante. I can literally rip it to shreds. But I'd be called something less than someone who's trying to help.​

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Dragonborn is right !

Now can we get back to the original topic: why do people hate Dante?
My answer is that people are comparing this new Dante to the original and when they see something that the original wouldn't do, to them it feels uncharacteristic and forced: "Dante wouldn't do this and that, and he would say it more like this..."

And let's not forget that there are still many people that think it's a prequel, they expect this

To become this

to become this

to become this

to become this

crush

Without understanding themes you can't experience what's in front of you.

I think everyone knows your frustration and attachment to the game you enjoyed.
And how that pointless" bit made you fry up. ( I did in fact)
But again you know almost everyone in this thread sustained two years of those kind of things.
You don't have to announce a full-frontal attack, and be aggresive. Everyone has their opinions and errors with them. relax.

Serial Killer Dante

Wielder of Dante's Soul
I think everyone knows your frustration and attachment to the game you enjoyed.
And how that pointless" bit made you fry up. ( I did in fact)
But again you know almost everyone in this thread sustained two years of those kind of things.
You don't have to announce a full-frontal attack, and be aggresive. Everyone has their opinions and errors with them. relax.

It's gotta be me; cause I can not see how I'm attacking anyone. If me feeding people knowledge is attacking then stay away from books!

Lol!

Meg

It sucks that I have to oversimplify things to such an extent. I feel like I need to drill this into everyone's head "We don't care if you don't care about new Dante." All I'm doing is helping one understand certain themes that they said they didn't like because it's "pointless". Without understanding themes you can't experience what's in front of you. I've given them the point of the theme and now I'm just jabbing them with it and they refuse to say "Ow". At least let me know that what I've said is effecting you on a "Oh I get it now." level. The level that alot of people here are lacking or are struggling to get to.​
We don't know everything about Dante but the pieces to understand him better are there. I took those pieces and though incomplete; I believe I have better insight on the protagonist than anyone's counter argument in this thread. I'm not trying to persuade any of you to like the new Dante, just be educated enough to stand by it if someone asked you to dissect why you don't.​
Now I wanna go over the list that they previously posted about why they don't like the new Dante. I can literally rip it to shreds. But I'd be called something less than someone who's trying to help.​
Whoa whoa whoa, no need to have attitude about it. All I did was state how you were coming off to me and asked for clarification. Chill.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
That wasn't what Meg meant, she was saying that you can't use that as an excuse to explain why someone's opinion is wrong when they are in the same circumstances as you.
I think you should re-read her post and apologize for jumping down her throat.

Seriously, why has this thread gotten so hostile all of a sudden? it's ridiculous. I thought most of the members were past attacking people because of a difference in opinion.

Remember Agility? no one wants to start acting like him do they?
Dear god Agility a.k.a Demon Killer Dante was a pain. Fact.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Dear god Agility a.k.a Demon Killer Dante was a pain. Fact.
OOOHHHHH! FACT! Yeah, I remember that twat.

He was that dude who was bashing Bayonetta, called it a failure, if I remember so I posted a long list of facts (reviews, world wide sale figueres) trying to argue with him on an adult level, but would always say something stupid and end it with 'fact' when he didn't have any. I just blocked him, it's the higher road, no point in arguing with a juvenile tool... Whatever happened to that a'hole?

Anyway, the point is we are better than that and we can resolve this by simply respecting the other person's point of view and accepting that we are not going to change their minds (this part I'm still having trouble with, myself).

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium

He was that dude who was bashing Bayonetta, called it a failure, if I remember so I posted a long list of facts (reviews, world wide sale figueres) trying to argue with him on an adult level, but would always say something stupid and end it with 'fact' when he didn't have any. I just blocked him, it's the higher road, no point in arguing with a juvenile tool... Whatever happened to that a'hole?

Anyway, the point is we are better than that and we can resolve this by simply respecting the other person's point of view and accepting that we are not going to change their minds (this part I'm still having trouble with, myself).
Yeah he was a complete tool, and you totally decimated him with that list. Lol

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

He got deleted.

Tiran

The great pretender.

He was that dude who was bashing Bayonetta, called it a failure, if I remember so I posted a long list of facts (reviews, world wide sale figueres) trying to argue with him on an adult level, but would always say something stupid and end it with 'fact' when he didn't have any.

Bayonetta was successful at exactly what it was attempting to be. And, among female game characters, she is unique. Even Tameem admitted that the game was great and did it's style of absurd very well.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Back to the point of interest, Dante A(original) and B(reBoot).

Now, it not a matter of hating B as much as having him be a point of refrence for A. He is not A, they worked hard to not make him A, so hard he was almost G but they had to tone it down to B which is much closer to A but isn't A by any extent (You'd never confuce A for B and we all know it).

As of late A was transforming into a Basara character, more [A]nime, less Resident Evil, and so to me even A was beggening to loose appeal. That didn't exactly mean I wanted them to take a plane, leave the country, and go on a search for another entirely different Dante to take the place of the original; I wanted Capcom to remember the roots of the series and what made it so memorable to me, to make it more like it was originaly, not to give up on it.

B is really not bad but it's just not A, it certainly isn't the A I signed up for. B tastes totaly different to A, like a burger and and a sandwich, sure they are booth two pieces of bread with food in between which include meat, cheeze, leaduce, tomato, onions, and condiments, but you'll never confuce one for the other and you know which one you paid for at your local Burger King/SubWay. That's a little of what that's like; it's like going into SubWay and been told that they're going to selling only woopers...

This is fun.

Serial Killer Dante

Wielder of Dante's Soul
I went and read through most of these replies about that guy that you guys are bashing and I swear to you this is what I was thinking.
Can we get back to that?​
I got a feeling this new Dante is going to too deep to become the anime styled one. I can't see him nor Vergil accepting the bright colors of the rainbow into their dark lives. It's like placing bat nipples back onto Batman's costume. Ugh.​
I do wanna know what that reviewer of Dante thinks about Raiden from MG. Now that's trying to hard to be cool. Jesus!​

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
I do wanna know what that reviewer of Dante thinks about Raiden from MG. Now that's trying to hard to be cool. Jesus!​

Why is that relevant? if you dislike Raiden why not start a different thread?
With regards to the video on the opening page I agree with it. I realize I may have a biased opinion as I share the same thoughts, but it doesn't seem to me that his review is influenced by his opinion of DMC, it seems more like a character study from a third party that only speaks highly of original Dante because that is what the general consensus is of him, well until DmC was announced.

I thought this thread was made so people could discuss why they think people dislike this game and where people could civilly express their opinions so we could get a better understanding of each other to get past all this BS. This thread wasn't made for that reason? Screw it, let's make it that reason.
The DMC/DmC community on a whole is a joke at the moment in the gaming world and we all know it is, but it's not us that's doing it or them, it's all of us. Whenever any of us go off the rail it looks bad on all of us and it won't stop until individuals do. Next time someone posts something you don't agree with, ask them why they feel that way, or explain your point of view (without patronizing theirs) and if you don't feel you can discuss it with that person or they're a d*** don't speak to them.

Serial Killer Dante

Wielder of Dante's Soul
Why is that relevant? if you dislike Raiden why not start a different thread?
With regards to the video on the opening page I agree with it. I realize I may have a biased opinion as I share the same thoughts, but it doesn't seem to me that his review is influenced by his opinion of DMC, it seems more like a character study from a third party that only speaks highly of original Dante because that is what the general consensus is of him, well until DmC was announced.

I thought this thread was made so people could discuss why they think people dislike this game and where people could civilly express their opinions so we could get a better understanding of each other to get past all this BS. This thread wasn't made for that reason? Screw it, let's make it that reason.
The DMC/DmC community on a whole is a joke at the moment in the gaming world and we all know it is, but it's not us that's doing it or them, it's all of us. Whenever any of us go off the rail it looks bad on all of us and it won't stop until individuals do. Next time someone posts something you don't agree with, ask them why they feel that way, or explain your point of view (without patronizing theirs) and if you don't feel you can discuss it with that person or they're a d*** don't speak to them.

You damn right it's a joke. All I did was read what others have agreed to and why they agreed to it and told them they've interpreted it wrong. I don't think they nor you notice when someone is being genuinely helpful. You guys are so defensive that it's hard to get things through even in oversimplified form.

SpawnShooter

You damn right it's a joke. All I did was read what others have agreed to and why they agreed to it and told them they've interpreted it wrong. I don't think they nor you notice when someone is being genuinely helpful. You guys are so defensive that it's hard to get things through even in oversimplified form.

Personally I'm not overly defensive about the subject anymore, I had a period of that about a year ago but I got over it quite quickly. I've had time to accept this game as people have had time to accept it isn't to everyone's tastes. Saying someone doesn't like a character because they don't understand them or they haven't seen enough of them yet so can't dislike them is just flat out wrong.
For every reason you like new Dante I have a perfectly valid a logical one I don't we could discuss, however I'm sure you yourself would become defensive which is fair enough as I would be bashing something you like. A close alternative would be discussing old Dante, I'm sure you're of negative opinion of him and he's a character I quite idolize.

I would be happy to discuss my reasons for liking original Dante, in fact anything and everything about previous DMCs with anyone who thinks otherwise of them to show people that civil conversation can be had with different view points.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Personally I'm not overly defensive about the subject anymore, I had a period of that about a year ago but I got over it quite quickly. I've had time to accept this game as people have had time to accept it isn't to everyone's tastes. Saying someone doesn't like a character because they don't understand them or they haven't seen enough of them yet so can't dislike them is just flat out wrong.
For every reason you like new Dante I have a perfectly valid a logical one I don't we could discuss, however I'm sure you yourself would become defensive which is fair enough as I would be bashing something you like. A close alternative would be discussing old Dante, I'm sure you're of negative opinion of him and he's a character I quite idolize.

I would be happy to discuss my reasons for liking original Dante, in fact anything and everything about previous DMCs with anyone who thinks otherwise of them to show people that civil conversation can be had with different view points.
AMEN BROTHER!!^_^

Razyel

Soul Reaver
I think that what SKD is trying to say is that you can't (p)review product x without the proper source material for product x in this case all the trailers and gamepaly vids + demos+ ( backstory, maybe?)

Up to this point all we can say is that x looks like this and we can either like it or not.
Product x seems to have this kind of story, we can either like it or not.
Product x has character D2 that seems to act like this.

We cannot jugde product x yet 'cause : we have seen just a fraction of it.
Character D2 acts like this in the trailer, but we don't know the context.
Which leaves us the story which we can't judge 'cause we haven't seen all of it.

I left the gameplay out on purpose 'cause only a happy minority of us has any taste of it, and some games just aren't the same when you watch it and actually play it.

Serial Killer Dante

Wielder of Dante's Soul

Wrong. My avatar clearly indicates I'm neutral.

But if you have a logical reason not to like this new Dante, then speak on it. That's what this thread is for and anything besides that, you're just here spitting nonsense. Right?

SpawnShooter

Wrong. My avatar clearly indicates I'm neutral.

But if you have a logical reason not to like this new Dante, then speak on it. That's what this thread is for and anything besides that, you're just here spitting nonsense. Right?

I apologize for mis-interperating your stance.

My reasons for disliking are listed in this thread, I believe on page 5.

Top Bottom