• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why do people hate DmC Dante so much?

Why do you like DmC Dante?

• Total voters

EllDawn

I thought of something that pretty much proves how based in reality Dante's F-you fight with Poison is. The friends I had some years ago would cuss at each other just to be joking around. We'd go back and forth calling each other b***h. It was childish, but we were joking around. We weren't the only ones, either. I've seen it with other people. So, unless you're calling a great percentage of the people in the world dimwits, you're not looking at the reality of what's going on. Dante is being playful before the fight. He's not being serious.

Also, Alittleacorn is right. This game hasn't been released yet, and there isn't enough to fully determine what Dante's personality is like. For now, all you can really do is pick out what you understand of his personality and wait to see the rest. If you don't want to play the game, fine. But if you're going to judge Dante by his cussing, listen to the tone and see if there's anything familiar about it. You're just looking at the surface.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I can accept they changed his character a bit after the backlash, but they're still doing their own thing. But I don't believe on any level they're trying too hard to do both. Original Dante was anime style, this Dante is being brought more into reality where it's not cool if your friend Nero gets stuck in a giant floating statue and you show little concern for his safety while he's in there.
Just for the record, Original Dante wasn't an anime character, he was a Japanese action movie character like the rest of the Resident Evil cast. He slowly turned into one as the games proggressed.

He went from a Resident Evil character to a Basara/Devil Kings character in three games... Most inconsistant franchise ever.

EllDawn

I don't care one bit, so i'm just supposed to be a brainless mosquito that just sucks up anything that's thrown out?

No, more like see more before you make an absolute judgement. Who knows? Maybe you'll find something you like about it. Or you'll just hate it more. At least then it won't be based on a small percentage of what's in the game.

I'm just curious, but did you hate it right from the start? Or did you give it a chance, first?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Anyone that forms an opinion about a game before they play it is judging it by it's cover. Even the people who are excited for the game and think it will be create are judging the game before it's out yet. The people who hate the new Dante are doing it and the people who think he's cool are doing it. It's all two sides of the same coin.
I've played the game, does that put me in a unique possition? Well, in that respect I've said everything I need to say about my experience so most people know where I stand, but it's only natural to form opinions based one the 'covers,' although we here are taking it a bit far and it's getting rather uncivilized.

I don't care one bit, so i'm just supposed to be a brainless mosquito that just sucks up anything that's thrown out?
No, ofcourse not, but you should also not outright reject things like that. I know it doesn't help now but once the demo is out people will be better informed about their possitions on this game. Take it from me, it different with the controler on your hands.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy

That wasn't what Meg meant, she was saying that you can't use that as an excuse to explain why someone's opinion is wrong when they are in the same circumstances as you.
I think you should re-read her post and apologize for jumping down her throat.

Seriously, why has this thread gotten so hostile all of a sudden? it's ridiculous. I thought most of the members were past attacking people because of a difference in opinion.

Remember Agility? no one wants to start acting like him do they?

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Here's the problem with the above, I hate Nero too.

Did they show off multiple designs during gameplay vids? no.

That's why I said after 3.

:O Lol, where did I mention hair? thanks for putting words in my mouth.
You completely misunderstood me >_< and it doesn't matter whether they showed Dante in different designs or not, the point is that it is not a valid argument against the game 'cause every game character will go through different designs before release on screen and off screen all the same.

And about DT, I was just trying to show you how pointless your arguments against this game are by starting to nitpick about every little detail in the original canon that was slightly off or somewhat stupid.
Sarcasm my friend, sarcasm...

I wanna see some real reasons, saying that the DT design is bad = saying that Dante's hair is black
Cursing .. seen worse
one-liners.. matter of taste and not a reason to hate.

Start explaining why is his cursing a bad thing, why his one-liners are worse than the original Dante's, why is the DT design bad, why does it matter that the character has slightly changed from 3 years ago?
If you can manage that people will respect your opinion.

"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory."

crush

We just need more details on why you hate.
We can't just speculate everything you say just from one sentence you know! That's a impossible feat.

Erm...hate?

(By the way...I noticed earlier, my video post is the direct opposite of Razyel's lol)

Meg

I've played the game, does that put me in a unique possition? Well, in that respect I've said everything I need to say about my experience so most people know where I stand, but it's only natural to form opinions based one the 'covers,' although we here are taking it a bit far and it's getting rather uncivilized.

I would think so. :O I doubt you played the final game from start to finish (because if you did that would be :blink: ), so it can be argued that even you can't make final judgements, buuuuut that's getting too technical.

That wasn't what Meg meant, she was saying that you can't use that as an excuse to explain why someone's opinion is wrong when they are in the same circumstances as you.
I think you should re-read her post and apologize for jumping down her throat.

Seriously, why has this thread gotten so hostile all of a sudden? it's ridiculous. I thought most of the members were past attacking people because of a difference in opinion.

Remember Agility? no one wants to start acting like him do they?
SS beat me to it and he's right. All I'm saying is that people can't criticize others for liking/hating the game even though they haven't played it when they themselves haven't played it either.

Also, hugs for SS! ^_^ *hugs*

EllDawn

I agree with SpawnShooter & Meg.
The very moment anyone ANYONE has a different opinion then yours about the DMC-Reboot, you got hostile & defensive over a game that hasn't even hit the shelves yet.
I said exactly how i saw that video & no one said alright that's your opinion i'll leave it at that.
Crap like this makes me wanna hate the game before i've even tried it.
The start of the thread asks what are your reasons for liking & not liking this Dante, meaning it was open for both sides to express how they feel about it. And they may not be justifiable reasons for you but there reasons nonetheless.
If you don't like the answers then don't ask the question.

Not all of us were hostile.

And the one thing in this post that kind of bothers me is that you're saying that the reactions to your posts makes you want to hate the game. Since you already said you didn't like it, at least that part hasn't changed. But don't let others influence what you think. Whether it's to make it better or worse. We have nothing to do with the game.

I'm not trying to be hostile here. I just don't like seeing someone being swayed by what a group does or says.

Serial Killer Dante

Wielder of Dante's Soul
Just saw the DmC Panel for NYC Comic Con. Seems like everyone who's pro Dante is right.

Thinking outside of the box, it's what we do. Good job Pros!

This talk about "it's my opinion, I'm entitled to it." Let me clear this up. I'm not trying to persuade you to like new Dante. I'm holding the torch for you to see through the tunnel. Being blind and not understanding the concept behind Dante's actions is not a good way to say he's not a well written character.

Again, we don't care if you don't care but you need to know something about the game before you just assume it is what you think it is and not what you know it is.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Ugh. All these skeptics, supporters, and haters all at each other's throats here. Can we all just agree that everyone can have an opinion? So what if some people don't like new Dante. It's not like it's gonna kill you that someone else has a different liking.

Personally I thought old Dante was dull, predictable, and very flaming. He lacked real enjoyment in DMC4, and was a complete clown in it too. DMC3 was just flaming with his bear chest and all and 2 was dead silent. DMC1 is okay though cause he was the only better Dante in my opinion.

New Dante is worse as he's just a crude jerk who cusses like he should be on Jerseyy Shore and he's not as likeable. But I still enjoy him because he's a diamond in the rock. That's just my opinion.

Remember; OPINION. Everyone has one whether good or bad. If you don't like the way it is, then that's to bad for you.

Move on.

Serial Killer Dante

Wielder of Dante's Soul
Ugh. All these skeptics, supporters, and haters all at each other's throats here. Can we all just agree that everyone can have an opinion? So what if some people don't like new Dante. It's not like it's gonna kill you that someone else has a different liking.

Personally I thought old Dante was dull, predictable, and very flaming. He lacked real enjoyment in DMC4, and was a complete clown in it too. DMC3 was just flaming with his bear chest and all and 2 was dead silent. DMC1 is okay though cause he was the only better Dante in my opinion.

Remember; OPINION. Everyone has one whether good or bad. If you don't like the way it is, then that's to bad for you.

Move on.

It's about understanding what you don't like. So far, all I've heard are assumptions about the character from people who haven't played the game or did enough research to give a real reason not to know the new Dante.Their opinion is bandwagon based with no wheels to go anywhere. It's a shame to see people in the DmC forum uneducated on the subject.

DragonMaster2010

It's about understanding what you don't like. So far, all I've heard are assumptions about the character from people who haven't played the game or did enough research to give a real reason not to know the new Dante.Their opinion is bandwagon based with no wheels to go anywhere. It's a shame to see people in the DmC forum uneducated on the subject.

First of all, don't call people uneducated. That's uncalled for.

Secondly, I'm a big supporter of DmC, but I'm not gonna go off on other people here just because of their small knowledge of the game. Cause in a way, when DMC4 came out, I disliked Nero from the very beginning and called him a Dante wanna be, or Ichigo's clone, or even a p*ssy version of Dante without properly giving him a chance. But when I actually played as him, I kind of warmed up to him and thought he was alright.

My point is, let people be skeptic all they want. They'll have to wait for the game to come out like everyone else to see if the hype is really needed.

Serial Killer Dante

Wielder of Dante's Soul
First of all, don't call people uneducated. That's uncalled for.

Secondly, I'm a big supporter of DmC, but I'm not gonna go off on other people here just because of their small knowledge of the game. Cause in a way, when DMC4 came out, I disliked Nero from the very beginning and called him a Dante wanna be, or Ichigo's clone, or even a p*ssy version of Dante without properly giving him a chance. But when I actually played as him, I kind of warmed up to him and thought he was alright.

My point is, let people be skeptic all they want. They'll have to wait for the game to come out like everyone else to see if the hype is really needed.

If they do not know everything then how can they judge anything? It's silly for someone to have an assumption based off of little to no knowledge on the subject. It's jumping to conclusions and that's not how we read books.

DragonMaster2010

If they do not know everything then how can they judge anything? It's silly for someone to have an assumption based off of little to no knowledge on the subject. It's jumping to conclusions and that's not how we read books.

That also goes for people who like the new DmC right off the bat. I love it, but I haven't seen everything of it. Hell, maybe I might hate it when I play it, but I won't know till it comes out.

Meg

You seem to think you're pretty well versed on who the new Dante is and the kind of game DmC will be. I don't know you, but I'll take your word for it since you seem to know what you're talking about.

However, what I'm getting from you is that if only the skeptics/haters/whatever knew all the things about new Dante/DmC that you do then they would like him. Don't you think that's just a tad unfair? I do.

Although, if I'm dead wrong and you mean something else then please explain. But that's what I'm getting from you.
Jesus effing Christ. Now I remember why I didn't want to post in this part of the forum.

Can't we all just get along? ;_;
If you don't like it, don't post here. Instead, eat these cookies I made just for you! :3 They're dinosaur shaped.

Top Bottom