• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

which one of the twins do you think was momma's boy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King of Hell

Must Die
if you look at the characters at face-value, you might say it was Dante, but when you dig deeper, you might see Vergil as the momma's boy type, he lost his mother, & turned anti-heroic, he wants power to "protect" his deceased mother, everything that happened to him was because of the tragedy he went through as a child.

so what do you think?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
ROFL!!

I think they were both mommy's boys. Vergil being all clingy over his amulet (he DID grab the amulet instead of his daddy's sword in DMC3, after all), I recon he was the kid who tried really hard to please and impress his mother.
But then the way Dante berates Trish in DMC1 about not being anything like his mom, he might very well be an even bigger mommy's boy. He held her in very VERY high regard and when he talked about her it was with passion and pride.
So...mommy's boys FTW? XD

King of Hell

Must Die
yeah you're right, he was ready to let an evil girl run around because she looks like his mother, both were momma's boys, I just wanna know what other people thought more of a momma's boy than the other lol.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
I think both boys simply loved their mother.The fact that they lost her at such a tender age only made them more..."tender" towards their mother but also sadder.If anything their preference of her mother over their father is normal since boys seek mostly love from their mother and admiration from their father.They view their father as their hero etc.

In the end,the choice they made was again for the love of their mother and to protect[as big "boys" now].Boys od that since most of the time their father is like their hero,an indestructuble man and their goal.Not to say that they don't love him,but they admire him more.

If though by being a momma's boy in the DMC world means that you accept your human's heritage,then it's Dante.It could have been Vergil,but that's how fate had it...

PS : Imagine Vergil with the Rebellion and having embraced his human nature because it was him that EVa hid and Dante was the one that took Yamato to protect hmself from the demons and etc.Funny twist huh?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Although they're technically the same age, Vergil's referred to as the 'older' sibling and he definitely demonstrates an older-sibling personality type, and Dante seems much like the younger type. While both older and younger type siblings can both be very attached to their parents, they often are in quite different ways.

Being an older sibling myself, I was very adoring of my mother but unable to show it outwardly; because typically older siblings adopt a strong sense of responsibility and recognition of adult decorum. They want their mother's approval but often prefer to get it through acting more 'grown-up' (and parents are typically 'stricter' with their firstborns, and acting more grown-up than their younger brothers or sisters is often expected of them). So the older ones usually stop displaying as much 'need' for their mothers when other siblings come around, though there is by no means any less affection for their parents on the inside.

Younger type siblings have a slightly different and more casual-seeming or 'refined' relationship with their parents, and are usually under less pressure to perform. They often seem more carefree but can never quite compete with the firtborns because FB's enjoy a unique status as being the very first that their mothers cared for and learned from and to some extent perhaps rely on. These are just typical observations and not always true, but they fit the personalities of Dante and Vergil very well.

I would almost certainly say Vergil was the most affected by his mother because of his behaviour - it screams remedial of his need for her. Adopting his father's demeanour and role, denying and trying to remove the state of weakness that led to her death, and seemingly burying feelings where they can no longer distract him are symptoms of it. I doubt he loved her more than Dante - I imagine they probably equally loved her, but in terms of who would do exactly as she said if she asked and who would go out of his way to please her were she still around, it would be Vergil IMO.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^Not always true.I myself,an older sibling as well have switched roles with my bro.But anyway.they are twins and in the manga bfore their mother's death only their names were different,nothing else seems to be different.It was the events of their mother's death that changed them.

Should their mother never die,they would probably never change themselves at all.

King of Hell

Must Die
Vergil wasn't even evil, he just wanted his suffering to end, he suffered a lot more than Dante, even though the exact same thing happened to them both. all that Vergil wants is his family back, & because he could never have it, he just sought power. & of course they both had very strong brotherly love, they just won't admit it.
Vergil's story is more tragic, if you think about his life, he suffered for more than 20 years, 10 years mourning the loss of his mother, & 10 years being forced to do Mundus's bidding. Dante got over it evantually, but Vergil seemed like no matter how long he was gonna live, he'll never get over what happened. they both loved their mother a very great deal, but Vergil still showed he'd do anything to get her, even if it means destroying the whole planet, Dante is the type to look at the "bigger picture" & decide to move on.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
I think they were both attached to their mother but I think Dante was closer to her than Vergil.

moseslmpg

I agree with Lexy, but it really depends on what "momma's boy" means.

DB: They were different ever since they were born. Twins are different people that just have the same genes, they aren't copies of each other.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^Not always.Or to be more precise not all the time.They were raised equally and they were put into the same situations everyday.They were copies of each other until the death of Eva.This might have lasted longer before they started becoming different[my cousins started being "different" around their laye 14s or so].They became so different and at such a young age because of the events around Eva's death.

moseslmpg

No they weren't. Twins are two different people. They would be no more similar to each other in personality as two regular siblings. No one can have the exact same experiences as another person.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
moseslmpg;265044 said:
No they weren't. Twins are two different people. They would be no more similar to each other in personality as two regular siblings. No one can have the exact same experiences as another person.

if they were together all the time than they would have very similar personalities.( not trying to get into a debate i'm just adding my two cents and then i'm done)

King of Hell

Must Die
it all depends on their life, I really believe that Dante & Vergil were the typical twins who are always together as kids, but circumstances changed that, Vergil wouldn't go crazy over what happened if his family wasn't a happy one.

neubula 2010

Dante, hands down. He is quite the ladies man, isn't he? I think that Vergil tried to be a mommy's boy, but he just doesn't seem the one to be all spoiled and all.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
darkslayer13;265058 said:
if they were together all the time than they would have very similar personalities.( not trying to get into a debate i'm just adding my two cents and then i'm done)

Have you met any twins before IRL? I know more than one pair of them and they are usually quite different, not least because as children they are often treated exactly the same. I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't encourage them to diverge even more in personality as a response. I've never met any siblings or twins who acted and thought exactly the same.

Unless you mean when they were like 1-6 years old or something.

King of Hell

Must Die
twins start out like carbon copies, but they change dramatically when they begin their teenage years...at least that's what I noticed in twins I've met.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
If you're going to say twins start out like carbon copies - you might as well say that all babies are exactly the same. I'm not a parent, but I've never heard anyone who is claim that their kids are identical in personality. They nearly always tell you that if they've got more than one child, even at a young age, they show differences in temperament.

Twins are genetically similar but they're not two versions of the 'same person' by any stretch... twins would be two children with the same DNA configuration; but as we know, genetics only accounts for some of a person's personality traits. A great deal of it is environmental and personal experience, and each twin will have its own unique experience.

In newborns, granted, they don't display much personality and I would say that the vast majority of newborns act similarly, so newborn twins would. Once they get past the age of 1 though you start to see personality developing, and differences in reaction to situations between different children.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
@ King : Excactly.That's what happens in twins that are in the same environment as Dante and Vergil[all the time together etc...].

PS : Anybody remeber how that movie with Swargenenger was called,about the twins that were seperated from birth and were raised completely differently?Were Swargy was a professor at a famous university while the other twin was some kind of crud party-goer ladies man?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom