• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

which one of the twins do you think was momma's boy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Well they've proven in scientific studies that if you separate twins at birth and raise them differently, they are likely to be different; but even if you keep them together and give them exactly the same environment, they develop personality differences. It was part of the important proof that pre-determined genetics doesn't determine as much about us as we once assumed.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^I never said the opposite and believe me nothing like that will ever happen[unless we are talking about parody movies,comics etc].It's just that they lived so happily they didn't have any other thoughts...at least outwordly.

And no evidence is shown that they were much different from each other during their childhood.Unless a DMC : Kids manga/anime,game is produced and proves me and others wrong though I seriously doubt it...

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Is there something in the novels or somewhere that I missed that says they had a happy childhood? Or that they were the same as kids? I am probably looking completely ignorant right now if so.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^The DMC 3 manga showed ome images prior to Eva's death[one whole page,or some panels and showed their childhood,before Eva's murder].Also DMC 1 gave the first hint of the happy childhood.[The chocolate for birthday present.]I don't know about the DMC2 novel though...The DMC3 jack pot could be or couldn't accounted for,since it's the only evidence to be taken with a grain of salt.But still it showed something.

Also the reason why Dante doesn't have any pictures of the whole family or something like that was that the demons shred everything to pieces except for that picture of Eva Dante had.He held it the entire time in his arms.

And the whole,brotherly rivarly[developed in DMC 3 manga and the game] and love shows a happy childhood too.[Even if the demon genes of the twins take the rivalry to the utmost.]

moseslmpg

They had a regular childhood until Eva died. Maybe Sparda was an absent father but that is pretty normal. The DMC1 cake flashback is as close as it comes to confirmation of happiness in childhood.

And for everyone saying twins are carbon copies: If you aren't their parents or don't live with them for their whole life, you don't know. People have different personalities in public life. In fact, if you cloned yourself, you could look and talk exactly the same, and even act the same, but you would be having different thoughts.

Neubula: Does being a ladies man have something to do with being a momma's boy? I would think that it would indicate that someone wasn't a momma's boy since they would find such activity repulsive somewhat. Madonna-Whore complex and all.

King of Hell

Must Die
I never said its a rule, but from what I've seen in the twins I've met, they begin to change at the beginning of their teenage years, I haven't met a lot of twins, just distant relatives & my friend's sisters.

& I'm sure they had a happy childhood, VERY happy i might add, the two of them act like two rich spoiled boys that changed after a childhood trauma. they're as attached to their mother as a parasite to its host, if not more. their father probably died shortly after they were born, so they only had their mother, & since their mother knew about their heritage & the potential harm that could happen to them, she was probably very protective of them. Vergil turned into a power-hungry machine & Dante turned into a typical teenager in denial, he started his business just to kill every last demon until he stumbles upon his mother's killer, as he said in DMC1 "& if I kill each one that comes, evantually I should hit the jackpot sooner or later". after he realized what Mundus did to his brother, he felt even more remorse over what he did to his family, & sent Mundus back to hell, with the line "jackpot", a homage to his brother. the name of his shop "Devil May Cry" was a homage to his brother too, because he cried over him, & a lot of moves in DMC4 were a homage to his brother too.

so if you add all that up, Dante's family were everything to him, even after at least 25 years, he still can't let go of both his mother & brother, so in conclusion, he had a happy childhood with them.

moseslmpg

Now that Dante avenged Eva though, what else is there left to do? It must be depressing not to have a purpose anymore.

King of Hell

Must Die
stop the demons from destroying other families, its a typical thing that heroes do these days, they don't want other people to suffer the same fate they suffered, if there is a family in danger from demons, Dante would do anything to stop them.

Dante still cared for other demons though, like he showed in DMC1 with Griffon & in DMC4 with Berial (though not in a very serious way), he might have gotten that trait from his father, Sparda never killed the other demons, he allows them to live, & Dante seems that type if that demon would stay in hell. maybe its because he loved his father & respected his demon heritage. maybe that shows that Dante & Sparda spent time together before Sparda died.

moseslmpg

The way they have Dante's character now though, in DMC4, he seems like almost sociopathic in his lack of care for others. To him it is all just a game.

I've never seen him as a crusader for good, just someone out for revenge. But it would be better if his motivations were more altruistic.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^So...DMC1 never happened for you.The ending of DMC 1 and the DMC anime had absolutely no impact whatsoever.Right?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I think I agree more with Moses - is Dante a proper crusader for mankind or does he do it for his own satisfaction, to keep himself going and to reassert his own beliefs that he is more human than demon? I think he prefers considering himself human, and prefers people to demons but he isn't exactly a philanthropist either. He elimiates most demons (because he hates them), not people's problems.

It's hard to say what Dante is, and that's what makes him interesting. He's not a straightforward hero, more like an anti-hero.

I think Dante would simply kill a human or a demon who was a real danger to the human world, no questions asked, and he would let a human or a demon go who was no longer a threat or if he saw good in them. He seems to know after DMC1 what's important even if he is nursing a personal grudge. So I think his raison d'etre is somewhere between personal and altruistic. But he wouldn't bother fighting any other causes for humans, I'd think (as in, non-demon related ones).

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^He absolutelly refuses to kill humans[stated in the anime] and as Archer
Heroic Spirit Emiya Shiro
said himself from Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Extra :

I'm no hero.I'm just a defender of justice.

Dante's the same.He is no role-model nor a hero...at least not yet.But ever after DMC1 it stopped being personall and he just settled for the Demon Hunting bussiness.And remember :

Neither heroes nor leaders decide what they are...it's peolple that make them.

moseslmpg

DB: The end of DMC1 didn't imply any altruism, just that Dante continued his business.

But I think you are right about those quotes you posted.

I think this conflict or tension between the hero and the defender of justice, as the avenger or protector would be good to explore with Dante's character.

I wonder what the people will say about Dante, or Vergil, in the future.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Wasn't Arius human? Dante blew him a few new ones in the face as I recall.

Edit: Oh yea, Lucia's scenario. Well, I guess Arius had become a demon, then. But Dante only shot him which implies (to my brain) that he thought he was human - and wouldn't be getting back up.

moseslmpg

I think by the time he shot Arius, Arius had already absorbed the demonic power. So while, he wasn't fully transformed, Dante nipped him in the bud, as it were.

Arius clearly had demonic power though, summoning all those msiras and stuff. That isn't really explained but whatever.

King of Hell

Must Die
Dante doesn't mind killing humans, he shot Sanctus before "the ascension ceremony", the anime still contradict a few things too, like Trish being Dante's partner...etc, so don't take every quote in the anime so seriously. the anime is canon, but if 2 sources contradict each other, you have to take the more official source.

Lexy, Dante didn't hate demons, he gets satisfaction from killing demons that's all, in DMC1, Griffon kept going after him, & when he got wounded, he tried to talk him out of the fight, & Mundus ****ed him off when he killed him "His heinous ways make me sick, killing even his own, like they were nothing". in DMC4 they tried to make Dante look like he cared, like after he defeats Berial "you can stay & die, or you can walk your ugly ass back through that gate", they wanted to make him as sarcastic as possible, it doesn't work this way for Dante. I almost haven't noticed this characteristic that carried over from the original.

I don't think of Dante as a hero, that was just figure of speech, I see him as a liaison of the humans & demons, if a human wants another demon's power or something like that, he'll stop him, if a demon wants to rule the human world or destroy it, he'll stop him.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
@ Moses : Yup,excactly what I said[about the bussiness].As for the Hero-defender of justice conflict...if Koba plays his cards right he can make Dante into what Kamiya wanted[and almost succesed in making] : an Archer that still harbours Emiya Shiro's spirit and personality.

For Arius : He was already a demonic/half demonic being[he still wasn't in control of Argosax,but he was a demon alright.]

@ King : The anime doesn't contradict anything.Trish was his former partner[the anime takes place a little after DMC 1].

As for Sanctus : yeah,that's weird...maybe he got the wrong info thinking he was a demon...I don't remember Dante throwing any quotes in the style : "Hey,so you were never human,were you?" at Sanctus when he saw him again.I could be wrong.

As for Mundus and Berial : two...DIFFERENT...PERSONALITIES!Ok?Mundus is a very humane character to the point of being a sicko : like many generals,shoguns,lords,kings and others,he doesn't care about his pawns,only for himself.We see these kind of poeple every day,even at the seats of the parliament etc.

Berial,was simply a warrior.He had a choice.His demonic pride was wounded by Nero though,so he couldn't bear another loss[not unlike some very honourable warriors,that fight for their lord].Dante killed him in self defence during their "duel" and unknownillingly,he sparred him from further shame.

King of Hell

Must Die
he cared for Griffon's fate not Mundus, & when I said Trish was Dante's partner, she's still his partner in DMC4 even though DMC4 takes place after the anime, it showed us in cutscenes & it said so in the manual & in the History of DMC video.

Devil Bane

God Slaying Blades
^She is not...at least not yet.Dante offered her and Lady to work at DMC together,but she declined in the anime.She,like Lady,are still freelance but they tag along with Dante for major jobs.Or when they need help[it is assumed in 4 that while Dante has repaid a large sum of money to both,he still ows them a small percentage so he helps them].And excactly where does it state it in the manual?

King of Hell

Must Die
69683498.jpg

you brought up another interesting point, all they showed in DMC4 was that Lady paid Dante almost nothing because Trish made the job very difficult.
Lady: "More? Was it not your fault that things escalated to the level that they did? Bringing Sparda into the spotlight?"

anyway, I think they pretty much said it, Trish is still Dante's partner, I began to give less credit to the anime after all the contradictions I've seen in DMC4. I use it as a reference if we don't have such info in the games, but if an event contradicts something in the games, then I use the event in the game as my source, the games are more canon after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom