• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Where do you think the series is heading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moseslmpg

MM only focuses on the gameplay though, and tbh there are a lot of people who just got tired with it. Especially MMX, after X4 or 5 it was like they weren't even trying.

If the only reason you like Nero is because his gameplay is easier, they can very easily just give another character the DB, like Dante. They should have just made it a style or a DA, because they didn't really use it as a plot point in the game.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Oh, I should've clarified. I like Nero's personality too. Dante just bugs the crap out of me because he doesn't even try anymore, which ticks me off. He's not badass, he's just annoying. Nero is, in a sense, more realistic.

moseslmpg

That is true. I feel like Nero was the only real character in DMC4 which is shameful on the part of Capcom. They need to invest in creating really good characters like they did in DMC3.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
DMC3 Dante was understandable considering he was so young. But in DMC4, he really had no excuse to act like such an asshole.

King of Hell

Must Die
I'll ask myself:
a DMC game that has the same exact gameplay of the previous game except new weapons or no DMC at all?
I have to choose the first option, the original DMC game was the first game I ever got for PS2, i probably spent hundreds of hours playing it. I kept playing it for one whole year before thinking of even looking at another PS2 game, maybe I spent a few months playing RECVX, that's when I started floating around the internet & massage boards, & a few months later I found out about DMC2.

the time I spent playing PS2, it was probably 60% DMC & RE, the other 40% was God of War, Silent Hill, need for speed, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, & Metal Gear. I never started varying until I got a PS3 & a gaming PC, since development takes longer this generation, I started buying games like crazy, Steam gives a lot of offers, & I never got stuck with a game I picked up by accident.

I think I kinda lost my point, what I'm trying to say is, I'd rather have capcom change the combat system every 3 games rather than not being able to play another DMC game. & I'm not looking forward to that point in time, I just choose to play a DMC game over not playing another DMC game again. so unless they change the main character permanently, I'd keep looking forward to the next game in the franchise.

I was never a million franchise follower, in the original PS days, I was a kid, everyone kept giving me games as presents, but I mostly played RE, MGS, & Dino Crisis. & I rarely spend 10 hours continuously playing video games, I usually go out most of the day, as soon as I get home, I start missing the last game I played, that's how my favorite games have such a high replay value to me, I still play the old RE, DMC, & MGS games. I bought NGC just for REmake & MGS, & I bought PS3 during the first week for around 1,000$ from ebay, I was looking forward to DMC4, RE5, & MGS4, since they were originally exclusives, & I never thought of any other game, they took years, so I started playing other games.

I never saw myself playing other games for more than a week back in the PS2 days, but I still want the franchise to drag on forever, assuming we still have Dante & the same genre, I don't want it to switch genre like RE did.

aoshi

I don't see how the series need to end or conclude any time sooner. Series ,for most part, has concentrated on character development(so very carefully) by defining looks,move sets,costume design,infra-structure and has been inspired from anime genres and other sources of entertainment.Besides, A lot of effort has been added on last game(whether it is appealing or not) to make it entertaining sans reaching for critical acclaim(Hardcore fanboys were not pleased).

My point on discussion is series has more to be added besides plot holes(which i doubt can be explained) and am looking forward to next game.I would be happy if new games improve characters dante,nero.

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
DreadnoughtDT;268619 said:
DMC3 Dante was understandable considering he was so young. But in DMC4, he really had no excuse to act like such an asshole.

What? Do you seriously think this? Or did you just say that to tick of the Dante fans? :/

You get 7 whole missions to judge Dante's personality and reason for being there in this game. 7 out of 20. The half-arsed attempt at explaining it and detailing him is pretty obvious, and I'm not saying they did Dante any justice at all with it: because even I think they only added him as an after thought with as much time he is allotted, (and that he has to spend so much of that time going back over Nero's stages wtf).

But it seems to me that if it were as you say, he would have simply taken Yamato and gone home, eh? Nero was no match for him and realizes it himself at the end of mission 10.

And he wouldn't of saved the kid just cause Credo asked him to, if he were such a big jerk. :p Specially seein' how Credo's whole order wanted to turn Dante into some half-demon Duracell for their savior statue. He didn't owe them any favors.

I wonder if what you mistake for a lack of badassery and whatever else you're looking for is actually more a case of lack-of-screenplay. But if you really think this, then why the 'understandable in 3' part? He still had that laid back snark in 1 for the most part. Think of the things in the past game(s) that triggered the responses that I think you're wanting to see. Nothing like that happened to him in this one.

On topic part: I don't think the series has to end. While there are those who might not like it if the series became a 'saving the world from the demonic disaster of the week' sort of script, with the right design elements that could actually be quite interesting and successful. They just have to get their playable cast right enough to both attract new folks and keep the vets wanting to play it.

Possibly the addition of Nero is a step in this direction? Note I said addition and not replacement since I'm damn near certain I won't be the only one leaving DMC5 happily sitting on the shelf if Dante isn't in it. But I can easily see a selectable-hero gameplay being very successful for a long time once they focus their efforts on creating the villains and plots and crazy missions for them to play through.

Look at similarly themed tv shows: Angel ran strong for 5 seasons (that I didn't watch, mind.) Supernatural just got renewed for a 6th even though the main story ended with the 5th. All with the same folks in the lead hero(es) department.

It's really just a matter of Capcom finding a creative team capable of pulling it off.

King of Hell

Must Die
I think he meant Dante in DMC4 lacked human emotions, the kind of emotions he had in DMC1.
I agree on your second point, as long as Dante is there, I'd keep playing every single game, DMC was never strong in the story department, so I wouldn't mind it if the story started getting dull, as long as we have Mr. Dante & his stylish gameplay.
by the way, Angel was only cancelled after the fifth season because of a stupid executive decision (& Joss Whedon's ultimatum), that particular person was fired later. it was a sad day for me since it was one of my favorite shows, even better than its parent show.

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
Ah. Yeah. I guess my point was that there wasn't enough of Dante's side portrayed to make such a judgement call - things didn't happen to him to trigger those emotions that leaked out in the previous games.

Entirely off topic too: I did start watching Angel on dvd recent like. But the second season is too expensive for me right now so I haven't continued it yet. What a bummer hearing that though. Love Whedon's shows. I was hoping it had a natural conclusion.

moseslmpg

Kittn, Dante is actually very out of character for the chronological position of DMC4. It is illogical for him to go from stoic and cynical in DMC1 to laissez-faire man-child or sociopath in DMC4. You may like how he was in DMC4, for whatever reason, but don't try to act like it made sense in the context of the rest of the series.

After DMC3, the shallow fratboy Dante is how Kobayashi has been picturing his character, presumably because character development is beyond the ken of his small mind. He did it with Anime Dante as well.

The only justification I can think of is that after avenging Eva, Dante has no purpose in life and has just become a slob who cares about nothing and no one. But that's dumb if they go with that.

On topic: If you think the series could go on forever, you're probably going to have to give up Dante sooner or later. The longer the series runs, the probability that he will have less of an integral part increases. As far as we know, Nero could be the X to Dante's Megaman (in which case, I'm still waiting for my MMZ side-series).

EDIT: Btw, if you are for indefinitely extending the series, it will probably not have a natural conclusion. Interest will die down before any story is concluded. That's what happened with MMX IIRC. It was supposed to end in X6 but then they made X7 and X8.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
moseslmpg;268888 said:
Kittn, Dante is actually very out of character for the chronological position of DMC4. It is illogical for him to go from stoic and cynical in DMC1 to laissez-faire man-child or sociopath in DMC4. You may like how he was in DMC4, for whatever reason, but don't try to act like it made sense in the context of the rest of the series.

After DMC3, the shallow fratboy Dante is how Kobayashi has been picturing his character, presumably because character development is beyond the ken of his small mind. He did it with Anime Dante as well.

The only justification I can think of is that after avenging Eva, Dante has no purpose in life and has just become a slob who cares about nothing and no one. But that's dumb if they go with that.

On topic: If you think the series could go on forever, you're probably going to have to give up Dante sooner or later. The longer the series runs, the probability that he will have less of an integral part increases. As far as we know, Nero could be the X to Dante's Megaman (in which case, I'm still waiting for my MMZ side-series).

EDIT: Btw, if you are for indefinitely extending the series, it will probably not have a natural conclusion. Interest will die down before any story is concluded. That's what happened with MMX IIRC. It was supposed to end in X6 but then they made X7 and X8.

Off Topic: Actually, Inafune said that X5 was supposed to be the last game, and they went and made X6, 7, and 8 without his permission. Although I think X6 and X8 were fairly decent games, X7 just sucked. They should've stopped at X5.

And for the Mega Man classic series, those have so little story it wouldn't really be worth it to end it suddenly. Mega Man Zero, on the other hand, had an excellent, if sober, ending where Zero died.

Can't wait to see where the ZX games go, if those aren't done already.

On topic: The series needs to end sometime, or it'll just get boring doing the same thing over and over and over. That's why I think DMC7 or DMC8 would be a good stopping point. Maybe a couple side-games for Nero if people want to keep bitching that he's stealing the spotlight.

King of Hell

Must Die

not necessarily, DMC doesn't have a huge fanbase, so if they go too far & ignore the core fanbase, they'd lose them, I'm pretty sure that's the only reason they've given Dante 7 missions in DMC4.

DMC1 had the natural conclusion you are looking for, any game that takes place chronologically after DMC1 is like a TV show spinoff of a popular movie, *insert name* wants to gain Sparda's power/Uber God's power, Dante stops him, its over.

On topic: The series needs to end sometime, or it'll just get boring doing the same thing over and over and over. That's why I think DMC7 or DMC8 would be a good stopping point. Maybe a couple side-games for Nero if people want to keep bitching that he's stealing the spotlight.

with that crazy stylish gameplay? never, if you know the fanbase of DMC, you'd know that the most important thing before anything else is the crazy stylish gameplay, & variety of weapons, the story & everything else are just complimentary, there's no story arc going right now, the series could end any time, maybe they just created a new arc in DMC4, but I'm sure it will be resolved & finished in the next game. that's assuming its an arc & not just something that can be explained in two words.

Entirely off topic too: I did start watching Angel on dvd recent like. But the second season is too expensive for me right now so I haven't continued it yet. What a bummer hearing that though. Love Whedon's shows. I was hoping it had a natural conclusion.

you're missing out on one the best shows ever, the first time I got my hands on the DVDs, I started watching both Angel & Buffy on chronological order, then Angel got more interesting so I ignored Buffy (I've seen them both on TV anyway), & then I rewatched it twice almost immediately. the comic books are continuations to the show as well.

moseslmpg

Oh X5 was it? I agree the original series doesn't have much story significance, and DMC has more story considerations than the X series as well, which is why I think turning it into and endless series would be a bad idea. They would basically have to make it shallower and shallower if it was going to continue. The only way out I see, like I said before, is if it was like Castlevania that kept the same basic structure but kept adding things, and I have zero faith in Capcom to be able to pull that off, with DMC anyway.

Speaking of Zero, I wish they could put some of that same effort or vision into the series. Really, we have MMX, MMZ, MMZX, and MMLegends to expand the canonical MM universe, so why can't we have something equally expansive in DMC which has started out with a lot more than Megaman. If they ever did a 2D DMC or Vergil side-series, MMZ style would be the way to go. Maybe not 100 years into the future, but just exploring a different side of the universe and increasing the badassery levels a little.

Vampi

King of Hell;268905 said:
what's the big deal? DMC was never huge story-wise!

DMC 3 changed all that. And of course, you don't care cause you've stated countless times before that you don't care about the story just the gameplay. That's all well and good, but don't think everyone is like you. There are sum people like Moses and myself and others that do care about the story and the characters themselves. Try not to think the DMC series is that shallow and that it only offers gameplay. There's more to it then meets the eye.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Vampi;268944 said:
DMC 3 changed all that. And of course, you don't care cause you've stated countless times before that you don't care about the story just the gameplay. That's all well and good, but don't think everyone is like you. There are sum people like Moses and myself and others that do care about the story and the characters themselves. Try not to think the DMC series is that shallow and that it only offers gameplay. There's more to it then meets the eye.

I'm one of the people who think it should be deeper. Not like, Silent Hill "WTF" deep, but something that's memorable. DMC4 didn't have that, except for Nero. Nero was the only believable character in 4, and he's awesome for that.

And KoH, you really need to stop generalizing. People have different tastes, but you don't have to force yours on us.

Kittn

Dante's Lapcat
moseslmpg;268888 said:

Then I reckon we're just gonna have to settle on differences of opinions here. Cause I'm not seeing the monumental OOC difference between DMC1 Dante and DMC4 Dante, so it does indeed make enough sense for me in the context of the series - 'specially considering the staff change between the games and the general reception of DMC 3's Dante. Of course there are differences because of these things but nothing so huge as for me to say DMC4 Dante broke character. Disagree as you will, of course.

But Sociopath? Are you kidding? Eesh. Princess Bride moment: ...that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Are you really saying Dante in DMC4 is a person whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience. Why? Because he didn't cry? Dios mío. 9.9;

My argument stands as before in that case and since I'm not a fan of repeating myself endlessly in circles, I'll only add that if he really were a laissez-faire sociopathic man-child he likely woulda just plain killed Nero in Mission 1 and let the rest work itself out.

To pull this all onto topic, heh... As far as where the series is heading; I wouldn't mind if they continue with Dante's current personality intact. I think what little we got to see of it was an acceptable hybrid of DMC1 and DMC3 Dante. Not saying I have no complaints, mind. Just none so game/character breaking for me that I'd have a conniption if he didn't show up as a DMC 1 carbon copy. Or... whatever it is ya'll are lookin' for. :/

Nero was the only believable character in 4...
Eh. I'm sorry, this statement just sounds obnoxious to me. :/ I'll even take Dante out of the equation. Trish was believably Trish. I found Credo's character quite interesting. Sanctus was a lunatic zealot with the perfect lunatic voice. (I love me some Dist. Just sayin'.)

The only unbelievable character to me was Kyrie. And I guess the word should be uninteresting instead. I really wish they'd done more with her. When I first saw her in the game, I got hopeful - seems like such wasted potential now. Maybe they'll make her more important in the next one. Give us a reason to care about what happens to her.

Oh and Lady. wtfins. >.>

King of Hell

Must Die
you misunderstood me, I never said I don't care about the story, the franchise has been my number 1 ever since I've played the original, what I meant was that the strongest point in the DMC franchise is its gameplay, & as I said before, the story & the rest of the stuff are complimentary, a good thing added to an excellent game is never a bad thing, what I meant by the story not being very strong in DMC, is that it wasn't very deep, it wasn't complicated, & it wasn't one-of-a-kind (unlike the gameplay which is still one of a kind), to give the DMC games a story on-par with DMC3, they just need good & undumb writers. MGS has a very deep, complicated story with one main arc, & its the strongest trait in the series, if you strip out a good story out of that game, it would never be a MGS (each MGS game added a few things to the gameplay, from FPV to camo, to auto-camo), the same applies on DMC, its gameplay is so strong that its the most important thing needed to be focused on, the story can be completed with the same quality DMC3 had without the need of high-quality high-budget writers, that's also the reason why the teasers of MGS reveal something related to the story while the teasers of DMC usually show us gameplay innovations, same goes for interviews.

Domingo

1. Where do you think the series is heading in terms of the story? Do you think it is going to end up like the MM series, being whored out until the end of time? Or do you think Capcom has a master plan, and if so, what do you think it is? Are you worried or satisfied?

In the first game the story was simple but interesting ( it's a beat'em all after all ;)). The main plot for me was : How a Demon lord can be good and save the human kind ? ( it's a paradox, no ?)

In fact, i thought that in the end of DMC series the player will discover that SPARDA never save the humans. I thought that whole story will be only a myth, a scheme to dupe human kind.
But i was wrong ! :lol:

Is it not a problem for you that a Demon lord is able to love and protect Humans ? is it not against his evil Nature ?

In DMC2 we discover that there is a sort of secret society of devil hunter on an island ( Matier & Lucia) : very interesting ! (What a pity that CAPCOM do not employ scriptwriter ! :p)
We also learn that Humans can use devil power and some of them want to rule the world ! (Dante had demons as ennemies but now humans are also a problem !)

In DMC 3 ( this game is a **** in my opinion) CAPCOM wanted to attract new young player (Dante is ridiculous & Vergil is only here to excite the fair sex). There is no new information about the universe in the third game !

In DMC 4, we learn more about the human world (good point). there is a king of religion based on Sparda whome perverted by a old bad guy. There is experimentation on devil power and all humans seem to be aware of demons existence.

Well,
In my opinion, Capcom has no master plan. They just imagine a story for new game but they don't try to create a rich universe. What a pity !
I'm satified because the gameplay is awesome but the story...:wacko:
2. If you were in control of the series, what would your goal or "endgame" be? What final conclusion would the series be heading to? Would you want the series to end or would you rather it dragged out forever? This can be answered in terms of the characters, or the general mythology of the whole series, and it doesn't have to be limited to the twins. Augmented canon is acceptable.
I fear that my english is to bad to well explain my ideal aim...
I previously explain the main plot to developp : the real plan of Sparda.
I think that DMC serie deserve a real scenario but maybe the universe could be enrich by spin-off :

A RPG spin-off ( without Dante but only unknown devil hunter who try to anihilate a dangerous Demon Lord)
And perhaps a action game like "Castlevania" based on exploration & fight where players can learn more about the mythology.

Anyway I would like to work (free) to CAPCOM, i would like to propose my ideas

Vampi

Kittn;268989 said:
Then I reckon we're just gonna have to settle on differences of opinions here. Cause I'm not seeing the monumental OOC difference between DMC1 Dante and DMC4 Dante, so it does indeed make enough sense for me in the context of the series - 'specially considering the staff change between the games and the general reception of DMC 3's Dante. Of course there are differences because of these things but nothing so huge as for me to say DMC4 Dante broke character. Disagree as you will, of course.

DMC 1 Dante would never act like DMC 4 Dante. DMC 4 Dante is so disconnected from the world of DMC that's he's basically become a shadow of his former self. He doesn't care why Nero resembles him and that he feels his brothers presense. He doesn't punch Trish in the face for handing the Sparda sword to a crazy cult that worships his father like a God. She would risk the lives of the people around the world by giving them the most powerful weapon of practically a God like Sparda. No he just sits there reading a stupid magazine with pictures of DMC 3 Lady and eating pizza. He has no interest in knowing his father's history on Fortuna. He doesn't do sumthing about simply defeating Sanctus at the first moment he see's him.

In other words. Dante has become a sociopath. He's so laid back he might as well spread his legs cause he doesn't give a damn anymore. Thanks Kobayashi for making Dante become a stupid, careless whore.

But Sociopath? Are you kidding? Eesh. Princess Bride moment: ...that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. Are you really saying Dante in DMC4 is a person whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience. Why? Because he didn't cry? Dios mío. 9.9;

Uh...pretty much yeah. He didn't stop the machinations of the Order under Sanctus, even though he kinda had a feeling what was going on. He didn't help Nero rescue Kyrie. He didn't do crap but just show off. DMC 1 Dante had more compassion then this jerkface.

My argument stands as before in that case and since I'm not a fan of repeating myself endlessly in circles, I'll only add that if he really were a laissez-faire sociopathic man-child he likely woulda just plain killed Nero in Mission 1 and let the rest work itself out.

Dante maybe be a sociopath in DMC 4. But he's not a stone cold killer like his brother Vergil. That doesn't mean his actions aren't any better. He let everything played out without giving a damn about the consequences. Its like he just laid back and see if Sanctus plan would come to fruition without doing anything about it in the first place. Its like overhearing a phonecall of a real bomb threat in a hospital but not reporting it to the authorities. Its just carelessness on his part. Very irresponsible

To pull this all onto topic, heh... As far as where the series is heading; I wouldn't mind if they continue with Dante's current personality intact. I think what little we got to see of it was an acceptable hybrid of DMC1 and DMC3 Dante. Not saying I have no complaints, mind. Just none so game/character breaking for me that I'd have a conniption if he didn't show up as a DMC 1 carbon copy. Or... whatever it is ya'll are lookin' for. :/

No he was nothing like DMC 1 Dante...AT FREAKIN ALL! DMC 1 Dante was stoic yet witty. He was serious at the right time and witty at the same time.

So you rather have Kobayashi's interpretation of this insipid version of Dante in future games. Wow! That's a really bad blight on the fanbase and series.

I think you're just so enamored with Dante that you just accept whatever unnecessary and drastic change Capcom throws at him. >_>

Eh. I'm sorry, this statement just sounds obnoxious to me. :/ I'll even take Dante out of the equation. Trish was believably Trish. I found Credo's character quite interesting. Sanctus was a lunatic zealot with the perfect lunatic voice. (I love me some Dist. Just sayin'.)

Trish was not believably Trish. Trish in DMC 1 (at least at the end) was more of a big sister kind of role. In this one she's just as careless as Dante. I really have to re-examine her so called "human heart that Dante awoke in DMC 1" cause what she did in DMC 4 was blatantly stupid and dangerous.

Credo is just Vergil if Vergil joined the military or sumthing. He wasn't that interesting and he wasn't such a big factor in the storyline really. He was just the brother of the mannequin that is called Kyrie.

Sanctus was just a senile fool. And really his "evil plan" wasn't even that evil in the first place. He kinda wanted to make the world a better place...by having everyone join the Sparda religion. The only stupid thing he did was kidnap a piece of fluff like Kyrie cause Nero was going through puberty and he was hormonal. Other then that he's no Arkham or Mundus. Hell, Sanctus and Arius are the team of Not How to Do a Villian in DMC.

The only unbelievable character to me was Kyrie. And I guess the word should be uninteresting instead. I really wish they'd done more with her. When I first saw her in the game, I got hopeful - seems like such wasted potential now. Maybe they'll make her more important in the next one. Give us a reason to care about what happens to her.

Oh and Lady. wtfins. >.>

I don't care about Kyrie. She played her role as Princess Peach. She's pretty much expendable and hopefully she's dead in the next game or gets killed, cause maybe Nero will have a damn motivation in life that's not so damn cliche.

And Lady is pretty much a golddigging tramp now. They pretty much ruined her character. Which is a shame. Since Trish is as deep as a kiddie pool and Lucia's potential (so far) hasn't been put out...yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom