• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Where do you think the series is heading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moseslmpg

A lighthearted thread from me this time. No arguments, just unrestrained opinions. I'm sre everyone is relieved.

I have just two questions really:

1. Where do you think the series is heading in terms of the story? Do you think it is going to end up like the MM series, being whored out until the end of time? Or do you think Capcom has a master plan, and if so, what do you think it is? Are you worried or satisfied?

2. If you were in control of the series, what would your goal or "endgame" be? What final conclusion would the series be heading to? Would you want the series to end or would you rather it dragged out forever? This can be answered in terms of the characters, or the general mythology of the whole series, and it doesn't have to be limited to the twins. Augmented canon is acceptable.

No guidelines, no limitations, just post away.

Meg

Hmmm....*thinks* Well I HOPE the series isn't going to get reduced to the level of Sonic and Mega Man. I don't think its popular enough for it to go on that long. I've never met anyone that has heard of it sadly. Although what I'd like to see in the next game is a story focusing on Nero, explaining his arm and origins and connection to Sparda. I would like it to end with him meeting up with DMC2 Dante in Hell.

As far as how it will end? Honestly, the was things are going I don't want it to go past seven. I say five be about Nero. Then six can go back to Dante. The last game, seven, should involve Dante being faced with something really terrible like reliving the death of his mom. Kind of like what Batman:AA did. I think that will bring some interesting character development into the story. It can also end with us fully understanding all the characters.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
it was all a dream.. and dante returns to life as an 8 year old just come out from a coma, which Vergil put him into when he smacked him over the head with yamato.

Thats lighthearted (and hyper).

I'm not really sure where i'd like to see the series go.
How about Dante has to sacrifice himself for Trish or Nero?
With Nero, he can hand down the business to him.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Where I think the series is heading toward in terms of story? Down the drain. I'm usually an optimist, but with DMC in particular I can't help but be slightly pessimistic. If they follow tradition, the next game will have absolutely nothing to do with the previous game and they'll only leave a few hints and throw in a few familiar characters to link the games together. No questions will be answered. But we're guaranteed that more questions will be added to our endless list.

Do I think it's going to be whored out? Well, yeah. They've been whoring Dante around like it's Christmas, so it's bound to happen.

Capcom's master plan? Yeah. Since Hideki is no longer on the team, they're going to replace Dante with a young and spunky Nero from hereon. That's their master plan. Whoop.

Am I worried? No. They'll keep to the same ol' same ol' and as I said before, bring out a new game that has no relation to the previous, only with Nero as protagonist and if we're lucky, they'll reference Dante on occasion. The game will be good. But it won't be good enough.

Am I satisfied? I'm a hardcore Dante fan. I'll wait to watch all the cutscenes of the new game on YT. If there is Dante, I'll buy. If not, count me out as a New Age DMC fan. Unless Nero manages to swoon me, which I highly doubt. Chances are they'll get a new VA to do Nero, and people won't like him as much - doom to the DMC series. So, no, I'm not satisfied with the direction Capcom wants to take the series.

OMG, if I was in control of the series? I'd take it places that will blow yer mind! My goal would be to wrap it up - answer all questions, fill all plot holes, make SENSE of everything that's happened, all in one epic game with gore and blood and pain and fights and witty oneliners in abundance. And I just mean wrap up the confusion, not the series. Like I said, I could take it places. People might not like it at first and will have to warm up to my ideas. I'm all for the idea of Trish still being in alliance with Mundus and just waiting for the right moment to betray Dante. Mean, I know, but it's possible, and I see no reason why it should be discarded. Mundus has to be one smart arse - why wouldn't he take this route? I think everything in DMC1 was choreographed and planned to fool Dante and break down his defences. AND he's got the Sparda sword - Mundus probably wants it for when he conquers earth, so why not put his minion right next to it to snatch it away when the time is ripe? Dante wouldn't know what hit him. It's the perfect evil master plan, IMO.

The final conclusion? A repeat, of course, of everything Sparda had to do to save humanity. Only this time it comes down on Dante and Nero's shoulders, and they kinda fail before succeeding. In other words, the demon and human realms merge because like Sparda, there is no trace of Dante or Nero to stop it, and humanity is left in despair before Dante and Nero pitch up on the scene and have their own epic jackpot moment.

Would I want the series to end? As long as Dante's in there, no.
Would I want it to drag on forever? Yeah, why not? RE doesn't seem to have an end and nobody is getting tired of shooting zombies, so there should be no reason why we can't keep kicking demon butt and saving the world for the next 7-10 years. I'm hoping the series is still good and highly desired by the time my kids hit their teens. Would love to have them join the fandom.

BUT, I really wish Capcom would stop bringing new characters in to play. We've got our DMC cast, and they're all good characters that need to be explored more. No more newbs or OCs or whatever. They can make do with the characters they've already created. Heck, they can bring Sid and Patty and Morrison over from the anime and implement them into the game as plot devices even. There's no need for newbs. Let Nero be the last, I say!

moseslmpg

VB: You want the last game to kind of be like a trailing end, where history repeats itself and the story is left open? Or you do mean that for the end of DMC5?

BTW, I was thinking that DMC4's explanation could be that it was all a bad dream, and I am dead serious. There are so many little clues and connections to a dream of either Dante or more likely Vergil.

Meg: I think the series should end with everyone from the series coming back in an epic battle. This would be after DMC2, when Dante was the protector of the human world and Vergil had assumed his place as ruler of Hell for a few years, so they would be older and more mature. It would end up with Dante and Trish and maybe Lady facing the Ancients in Hell, and all of them dying because they are nowhere near a match. Meanwhile Vergil, Lucia, and another character would go to face the Elder Archons, and they would also die.

Then the story would shift to Sparda's first ancestor the Elder Archon of the Mars, as the Apocalypse began. The Ancients would use their trump card, the Beast of Revelation a very powerful demon that acts as their vessel in the human world, while the Elders would release their agents the 4 Horseman. The ensuing battle would absolutely decimate the world, and eventually the Ancients, Elders, and the Mother Aeon would descend into the world as the universe literally falls apart. and before the final decision of the battle can be concluded, the universe rips itself apart and remains nothing but an empty husk.

Something like that, not to get too deep into it. There would be something after it, but it is too complicated to explain. Most of this would not be in game form of course, and I'm thinking of Spawn for the Apocalypse scenario, so it wouldn't be literally 4 people on horses, etc.

Now, as for the way the series seems to be going, it does seem like they have no actual goal in mind, and I feel it will become like the MM series. It would be nice if they could divert it into something like the Castlevania series, which doesn't ever feel tired to me, but I doubt they will. I feel like Nero won't ever replace Dante, but Dante would get more and more tacked on with each game now that his destiny has been fulfilled.

EDIT: Chloe, you want the series to continue forever but not bring in any new characters? I think it would get really boring. I don't know of any series besides maybe Megaman that does this, and it isn't really heavy on story and it is very formulaic. Even RE brings in new characters in like every game, and they did just kill Wesker off.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Castlevania fan huh... same here.

I've always wanted to see a devil may cry game set out like Castlevania.
(2D side Scrolling DMC :D)

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
moseslmpg;267443 said:
EDIT: Chloe, you want the series to continue forever but not bring in any new characters? I think it would get really boring. I don't know of any series besides maybe Megaman that does this, and it isn't really heavy on story and it is very formulaic. Even RE brings in new characters in like every game, and they did just kill Wesker off.

With new characters I mean new protagonists. They can redirect their focus from creating a new good guy from scratch to putting in more effort into creating non-Mary-Sue villains. Have you noticed how the bad guys all have the same evil laugh, the same preachy attitude, etc etc? It's so dull and predictable, it's not even funny. I might as well have been fighting Arkham in DMC4, and I might as well have been fighting Sanctus in DMC3. The only 'new' villain type DMC has ever had was that sneaky dude from DMC2, which doesn't even count since Capcom shoved that game aside. They've got brilliant protagonists, they don't need more of them. What they need are more challenging, more original and fresh villains that make the characters grow into something better and different.

Anyway, my view on it is that they keep creating new good guys because they feel the older ones are getting stilted. That's why everyone shares the idea that Dante's character has played it's role and has no place in the DMC universe - Capcom wants fans to think like that, because THEY haven't considered giving us a real BAD guy that will take Dante out of his comfort zone and challenge his character. Instead, they create a watered down Vergil/Dante influenced Nero (really, he is a rip-off) and give him some sweet as combos and make him a softie with a mean streak. I feel Nero was put in to deflect attention from Dante, because they couldn't come up with something new. If Dante had been the protagonist of DMC4, everyone would have yawned and went BOO, DMC2 was better than this! Because it's been done before.

Which is sad. I'm just a fan, but I can think of a million good ways to improve Dante's character and reinforce his purpose in the series. You'd expect Capcom to be capable of more than I am.

moseslmpg

VB:Yeah me too. I was working on a now-defunct game of just such a thing. I think it would be a great idea for Capcom on PSP or PSN, given the popularity of Castlevania and the fact that DMC is basically like a serious Castlevania in 3D. For gameplay I was thinking Castlevania exploration with MVC style combat. A game like that would give them a chance to explore some more mythological themes of the series, through files and whatnot, since it wouldn't be limited by the past games.

If they made DMC a variety game like that, I don't think it would be so bad, but I don't have faith in them. It would probably end up more like Dynasty Warriors than anything.
Chloe_Ryder;267451 said:
With new characters I mean new protagonists. They can redirect their focus from creating a new good guy from scratch to putting in more effort into creating non-Mary-Sue villains. Have you noticed how the bad guys all have the same evil laugh, the same preachy attitude, etc etc? It's so dull and predictable, it's not even funny. I might as well have been fighting Arkham in DMC4, and I might as well have been fighting Sanctus in DMC3. The only 'new' villain type DMC has ever had was that sneaky dude from DMC2, which doesn't even count since Capcom shoved that game aside. They've got brilliant protagonists, they don't need more of them. What they need are more challenging, more original and fresh villains that make the characters grow into something better and different.

Woah woah woah woah woah...don't even compare Arkham to Sanctus. Arkham is on another level of villainy. Arkham was the one shining light of villainy in the series IMO and i was sad that they killed him so soon. What DMC needs are some recurring villains who are actual characters not just punching bags at the end of a level. The bosses in DMC4, with the exception of Berial, had zero personality and really had no reason to even be there. DMC3 did well with Beowulf and Nevan and Arkham, I thought.

By that sneaky dude do you mean Arius? He was the most stereotypical villain of all IMO. His laugh was so comically evil that I had a hard time even seeing him as a threat. He's like the Dr. Evil of villains.

Anyway, my view on it is that they keep creating new good guys because they feel the older ones are getting stilted. That's why everyone shares the idea that Dante's character has played it's role and has no place in the DMC universe - Capcom wants fans to think like that, because THEY haven't considered giving us a real BAD guy that will take Dante out of his comfort zone and challenge his character. Instead, they create a watered down Vergil/Dante influenced Nero (really, he is a rip-off) and give him some sweet as combos and make him a softie with a mean streak. I feel Nero was put in to deflect attention from Dante, because they couldn't come up with something new. If Dante had been the protagonist of DMC4, everyone would have yawned and went BOO, DMC2 was better than this! Because it's been done before.

I agree totally. we need villains and scenarios that will push Dante beyond his limits, break him down, and let him rebuild his self. That's one reason I'm so much for Vergil coming back because he has been the only character to achieve that so far. But there could definitely be others. You know Az from the Sparda fic right? We had him set up to be a recurring villain, first stalking Sparda during his time in the human world, then facing Dante after DMC1, and then becoming an agent of the Ancients. He would be a constant thorn in the side of both twins and definitely push Dante. One result of that would be Dante actualizing his DMC2 DT and DDT.

I think what DMC is missing is some vulnerability, something at stake. It is far too laissez faire now, because we all know Dante will win in the end and go back to eating pizza in the next scene.

Which is sad. I'm just a fan, but I can think of a million good ways to improve Dante's character and reinforce his purpose in the series. You'd expect Capcom to be capable of more than I am.
Alas, I'm sure many of us have thought that at some point.

Vampi

The series is heading absolutely nowhere if Capcom doesn't have a dedicated team concentrate solely on DMC. At least Capcom is working with Ninja Theory (if the rumor is true) and NT might give us a new perspective on things in the series which i hope is faithful to the history of DMC. I don't want them to change much...but after DMC 4. They need to haul sum stuff away and bring new things in that don't change the core characters.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
moseslmpg;267403 said:
A lighthearted thread from me this time. No arguments, just unrestrained opinions. I'm sre everyone is relieved.

I have just two questions really:

1. Where do you think the series is heading in terms of the story? Do you think it is going to end up like the MM series, being whored out until the end of time? Or do you think Capcom has a master plan, and if so, what do you think it is? Are you worried or satisfied?

Probably heading down the ****ter - not to put too fine a point on it - and important enough to be whored out for as long as possible (though not apparently important enough to remain in Japan for development). Master plan? "Make more money". That's probably the extent of the plan for now.

2. If you were in control of the series, what would your goal or "endgame" be? What final conclusion would the series be heading to? Would you want the series to end or would you rather it dragged out forever? This can be answered in terms of the characters, or the general mythology of the whole series, and it doesn't have to be limited to the twins. Augmented canon is acceptable.

Mundus' final destruction? Resolution/retirement of Dante's loneliness/quest? Sparda's past explained? Nero explained or dealt with? I would rather it were not dragged out forever but remained within the storytelling arena the first game conceived. There's a lot so far that could be explored in further games, but I do feel the central Sparda/Dante/Vergil should be involved to some extent in any of them, else it would be a spin-off and not likely to interest me much.

moseslmpg

What about the end of the plot itself? I think those things you mentioned should be explored, but do you think the story should have a definite ending or do you think the story should be left open?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Well I do prefer things left with open endings, or open-to-interpretation 'conclusions' in general. Now that Nero is here though, I just can't speculate deeply on what's likely to happen. I suppose Nero is here to stay and that the games will follow his story arc, unless there are more prequels. Because as it's been pointed out before, Dante is an unresolveable character who seemingly won't settle down with anyone for a 'happy ending', and he's been nudged to the side for Nero as if defunct - except in heroically cleaning up the newbie's mess. While I don't agree that Dante is defunct or has nothing more to do, they either nudge off Nero, nudge off Dante, have them team up, bring back Vergil, bring in a totally new character again (ugh) - or go back to more familiar events and characters in prequels. One or two of these options should probably be staring me in the face as the obvious choice the studio will make in the next game, but with the change of tack CAPCOM's apparently hoping for with it, it could go anywhere.

Knowing what I do about heroic supernatural or super-powered characters being 'resolved' in comics and films, they tend in the end to pass the torch to someone else as an ending, or die and someone else takes up their quest, so releasing them from the lonely and often unenviable position of their lives. It almost looks like Nero was created for this purpose, (although he could also be a brainfart). Or else the main character is not ever resolved and the series hangs. I'm in no hurry to see a resolution of anything, and I doubt CAPCOM are either.

aoshi

1)I think series was never together. Each game has its own plot except for characters to tie them together in an odd way.Void and nothingness in story is jus for fanboys to speculate and i really am starting to get annoyed. With so less info about nero to add more speculation.I am guessing another new plot hole for speculation.

2) The way i would prefer the series to progress from the mess that is already here, Vergil embeds his DT to yamatoa and nero owns it. Nero is on verge of becomin demon and anyone who knows his demonic heritage is no more besides kyrie and dante. Demons disguise as aristocrats and use humans without their knowledge of serving demons.Nero and dante not only take on these aristocrats but also servants who despise dante and nero for demons they inherit and blindly support aristocrats.

Nero does side-quest on gathering info on aristocrats which includes hunting some demons. Final boss showdown will be done by dante.No more stories or new plot holes and relationships.Nero and dante hunt down demons disguised as aristocrats.

I think it's time to put aside relationships and finalize character attributes.I am done with speculation.

moseslmpg

Why would they be aristocrats exactly?

And do you have an idea of how you would want the series to actually end? Like what is the last mission they go one or something, what characters are there, etc.

aoshi

It is more logical relationship between humans and demons where humans serve for money though run by demons. Also aristocrats can be located in mansions which provide infrastructures for puzzles and game play. Demon world is unsealed and more demons arise. If demon world is shut in every game - I don't think series can continue from where it left.

I meant boss in each misson would be played by dante. Nero would gather vital info on demons and submit to dante. If nero misses vital info - dante fails mission. Vital info such as weapons - upgrades - orbs - boss strats.This provides transparency to the game. DMC for most part is like a black box.

I think completion of game is to upgrade skill sets of nero and dante as demon hunters in finite set of missions which includes secret missions as well.

I also think each boss in DMC have their significance and don't see final boss to be any different than easier or cheap(spams more).I guess completion of skill sets for dante and nero could complete the game.

King of Hell

Must Die
I see it, & I want it, to drag on forever, as long as Dante stays as the main character, the series can never be concluded, demons, half-demons, legends, it has the profile of a long lasting franchise.

moseslmpg

Aren't you concerned that each game would get worse and worse? You wouldn't want it to quit while it's ahead?

Vampi

King of Hell;268525 said:
I see it, & I want it, to drag on forever, as long as Dante stays as the main character, the series can never be concluded, demons, half-demons, legends, it has the profile of a long lasting franchise.

Wow...so in other words you want DMC to be beaten like a dead horse just like Capcom is doing with RE. RE isn't even good anymore, especially RE 5.

Every series has to meet with an endgoal. If it doesn't the series will eventually get stale and nobody will give a damn. Its happen to alot of franchises and i don't want DMC to be one of them. I would like it to go on, but at the same time we don't know how we'll feel about DMC in the future. I used to be a huge Tekken and Soul Calibur fan but nowadays i just don't give a damn about it. People change, and games have to change along with the times and have a solid conclusion.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Dunno about you guys, but Mega Man has been going for a while and people still like it.

DMC, however much I hate the idea of it ending, will have to end sometime. I think it should end at either 7 or 8, but to some people, even that's too much.

Where I think the series is heading is a bit more about Nero and less about Dante, which is what I want. Dante is boring to me, and Nero is more fun. Yes, his gameplay is easier and that's why I like him, but I've beaten all the DMC games on every difficulty. I'm pretty sure I can pick favorites if I've done so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom