• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's the most emotional scene to you in the entire series?

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
the problem is that each “confrontation in the rain” or “heartfelt exchange of dialogue” usually boils down to be shoddily-written melodrama.

That’s why I want the Devil May Cry games to go the route of Bayonetta, or No More Heroes…just don’t try to be serious at all.
I think this is completely subjective. The writing of most of the DMC games is either your thing or it isn't, it's not objectively shoddily written.

Further, I didn't find DMC3 (for example) to be melodramatic at all. I also think you need to review what the word 'melodramatic' means. The games may be dramatic at times, but not melodramatic. DMC1 was the only one I thought was melodramatic, with the "fill your dark soul with LIIIIIGHT". Though I don't even remember DMC2's writing, so maybe its writing was melodramatic.
In my opinion, DMC3's overall writing isn't any worse than DmC's.

dreadnought_dante

And the brighter the flame, the deeper the shadow
last scene from DMC 3. when lady asked Dante 'are you crying' then Dante was thinking that he just lost his last family member, his own brother. They sure had some fun time and Dante was thinking those and couldn't hold his tear.
this scene really got into my head.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I think this is completely subjective. The writing of most of the DMC games is either your thing or it isn't, it's not objectively shoddily written.
It's a matter of opinion, and I'm positive most people here are already bound to theirs when critiquing the series' writing of all things.. But I'm fairly certain if you showed the DMC3 cutscenes to some non-fan who has even the slightest grasp on what good or bad writing is, he/she would probably fall out of their chair laughing, or question if the dialogue was some unused dialogue trimmed from the script for Batman & Robin.

Further, I didn't find DMC3 (for example) to be melodramatic at all. I also think you need to review what the word 'melodramatic' means. The games may be dramatic at times, but not melodramatic.
"Melodrama" refers to anything honeyed with exaggerated and overdramatic elements, and DMC3 (and 4) are filled with instances like these. The entire conversation between Dante and Vergil in their final confrontation couldn't be more sappy and heavy-handed if it recorded in a 4Kids booth. Any scene with Nero and Kyrie felt overplayed and exaggerated to the point of nausea. There's no subtlety or narrative weight to anything DMC does in the story department, not without peppering it with ham-fisted emotional scenes or dialogue that should by all means be for campy purposes...but are actually exchanges of dialogue the creators intended to be serious.

I'm willing to sugarcoat many aspects of the DMC universe, but the writing and is certainly not one of them. It's not a matter of what "bothers me", it's a matter of whether or not the writing is effective in displaying the emotions the writers are trying to convey. And 99%, it almost never does.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Mah... while I agree that some scenes could definitely have been executed better, I didn't find anything wrong in how they handled the Vergil's defeat scene, or Arkham's death, or Credo's death, or Nero's "vision" of Kyrie when he is absorbed into the Savior, ecc.
Absolutely nothing campy in those moments. Rather, the campiness (the good kind) comes in most of the "badassery" filled scenes.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Edit to my previous post:
I think that those emotional scenes actually deliver in terms of feelings (though I already said that some of them could have been better, imo). Fact is, most people need to suspend reality, and stop thinking "Oh, it's just Devil May Cry, I can't be touched by it"... with that attitude, obviously you won't feel any emotion whatsoever, from any kind of media.
Also, note that writing is not the only factor that partecipates in making a scene effective, direction is a huge part too. And of course, personal tastes ;)

P.S: does anyone find that edit time limit annoying? xD

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Edit to my previous post:
I think that those emotional scenes actually deliver in terms of feelings (though I already said that some of them could have been better, imo). Fact is, most people need to suspend reality, and stop thinking "Oh, it's just Devil May Cry, I can't be touched by it"... with that attitude, obviously you won't feel any emotion whatsoever, from any kind of media.
Also, note that writing is not the only factor that partecipates in making a scene effective, direction is a huge part too. And of course, personal tastes ;)

P.S: does anyone find that edit time limit annoying? xD
Hey, dude, I'm not saying there weren't moments I liked in the series. Nero and Dante bonding over the course of 4, Vergil expectantly coming to Dante's aid in Dante's Awakening, the moment Dante realizes that the daunting knight he killed was actually his brother...these moments were neat in their own special way. But there hasn't been any stimulating or emotionally-investing moments in the game. I've tried to get emotionally invested in DMC, regardless of its stylizing and emphasis on flashy cutscenes...but it never happened. The characters were never fleshed out or developed enough to invoke any emotion within the context of the game. I can suspend reality for something like DMC, but I can only try so hard to empathize with characters in a story and narrative with this kind of execution.

I'm all for personal tastes, context, personal bonding with the characters...if you can do that, good for you. I just never could. Maybe the story in a future Devil May Cry will have the well-written narrative, character development, and emotion to keep me invested...but none of the past ones ever had.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well I guess the writing, even though is not as terrible as many say (there's so much worse out there) still has to match the direction, which made such scene touching and memorable. We'll see.

DanteTheJester

That devil hunting douche who married a pizza.
It's hard to pick.

Lady crying after shooting her dad.

Final showdown with Vergil.

And really that's all I can remember right now since I woke up about an hour ago or so before I joined this forum. Waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to sleep is tough. Gives me a sleep induced hangover.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It's hard to pick.

Lady crying after shooting her dad.

Final showdown with Vergil.

And really that's all I can remember right now since I woke up about an hour ago or so before I joined this forum. Waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to sleep is tough. Gives me a sleep induced hangover.

I know that feeling, bro...

Top Bottom