• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What was the 2010 DmC originally going to be about?

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
You guys remember the 2010 TGS trailer for the reboot, right? Showcasing a skinnier Dante which also smoked, fighting a bunch of Stygians in a post-apocalyptic setting. This, basically:

So, since I haven't really done much research about it, I was wondering what was the game originally going to be about? From what I can collect from the trailer, the idea of the modern world and Limbo being set apart from each other didn't really exist in this concept. The only dimension that existed was Limbo, a world that was governed by demons. But do you guys have any info on what was it going to be about? Any links, interviews, something?!

Rolanthas

I really can't recall any details from the initial reveal. I do recall that it was said to be a "prequel" and not a "reboot" per se. Although me and most people believe that was simply a miswording on PR's part.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
The story was still going to be like what it is now, only a few more things were gonna be added. Judging from the concept art, they had a lot they wanted to add in DmC but capcom stifled their ideas.

dmc_conceptart_eQVFb.jpg

zgbvs.jpg

Sunaka Marién

I also thik that the story would have been pretty similar, maybe they were thinking about adding more about Dante's past though.
I only know that they did many many sketches of Dante in different stages of his life, and that the initial explaination of the white hair patch we see in the trailer, was that it came from the shock of seeing his mother being murdered; it is unclear however, if that was still the explaination they were going for when they made that trailer.
Also, it seems that the concept of Limbo had been there from the very strart, at least that's what it sounded like to me; they wanted to approach DMC more realistically, so they needed to have a logical explaination how demons could exist without anyone knowing about them.
I'm sorry that I can't provide you with a link to the source of all this, since I got the information from that interview DVD that came with the French version of Devil May Cry - A Divine Comedy. It doesn't seem to be on Youtube, and since I don't know how to rip DVD so that you can upload them there and because I'm scared of the copyright stuff, I'll just make a transcript of it in the near future :3

CMAX

I feel like it was going to be much darker but the fan outcry kinda forced them to add some more light heartedness to it.
The result is a mess of weird character development and awkward dialogue at times.

DragonMaster2010

Actually, DMC3 had pretty good character development.

In your opinion. To me it was more like

"YEAH PARTY! YOLO BITCHES! YEEAH--O-Oh wait a second some serious sh!t's goin' down. better get serious...it's over? Vergil's gone and the towers beaten? ALRIGHT CRAZY TIME AGAIN F*CK DEMONS AND GET RED ORBS!!" (Money)

Last edited:

The Final Offer

I wonder this myself.

I think what was canned will be either in the sequel or the movie.

I believe at first the game was going to be open world. I'd say missions would be in between exploration. Check this trailer out.

We had environmental interactions AGAIN (DMC 3) at one point. It seemed like they wanted to give us a world to explore. Maybe with the whole "gain this ability to access this area" format.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Despite Dante looking like a bit of a meth head, I thought it was pretty cool. The action looked great and I just assumed it would be like an origin story. Like straight up origin story with a completely raw and inexperienced Dante. I saw the white patch of hair on the back of his head. The whole insane asylum stuff kinda set this vibe too that was like ooooooooo.

Seriously, looking back on it, if they would have just given Dante his full head of white hair, it wouldn't have gotten the hate. Yes. A lot of DMC fans are that shallow and petty because we knew nothing of the game but his change of appearance *cough Which happens every game cough*

And seriously, did anyone think Dante would really become some dark and brooding emo guy? Use your brain for a sec. They tried that with 2 and it didn't work out so well.

DragonMaster2010

Like the InFamous 2 debut trailer. *cough*
OMG I remember that!

"COLE HAS HAIR! HE LOOKS LIKE SOME JERSEY SHORE EMO FAGGOT DOUCHEBAG!!"

Yeah cause f*ck Cole for growing hair like a normal human being. -__-

It was at that point that I decided not to be a sterotypical fanboy just because something looks different. Im glad I followed this way of thinking with that Power Puff Girls reboot special otherwise I would've missed out on a really good TV special.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Seriously, looking back on it, if they would have just given Dante his full head of white hair, it wouldn't have gotten the hate. Yes. A lot of DMC fans are that shallow and petty because we knew nothing of the game but his change of appearance *cough Which happens every game cough*
Actually, there were 2 major complaints about TGS 2010 one was that he smoked, something that original Dante was admired by fans for NOT doing.

Although, I will admit, a lot of us skeptics (including me) were very upset about Dante not resembling his original counterparts

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
It was at that point that I decided not to be a sterotypical fanboy just because something looks different. Im glad I followed this way of thinking with that Power Puff Girls reboot special otherwise I would've missed out on a really good TV special.
I am really hesitant at checking out that new Powerpuff Girls. The Powerpuff Girls is one of my favorite cartoons and I just hated not only the redesign of the characters (The Powerpuff Girls had kind of a lazy but charming design, the rough edges just makes things look gross and it's CGI......seriously?) but , also how Craig Mckraken had NOTHING to do with it.

Maybe one day I'll watch it but, I'm ignoring it as of now.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Actually, there were 2 major complaints about TGS 2010 one was that he smoked, something that original Dante was admired by fans for NOT doing.

Although, I will admit, a lot of us skeptics (including me) were very upset about Dante not resembling his original counterparts
I'm not a fan of smoking at all but, I couldn't care less whether or not Dante does it. The way he put it out in the demon's eye was pretty cool and seemed like exactly something Dante would do.

And yes I know, the hair is evidently the heart and soul of Devil May Cry. Like you peeps have not made that clear enough at this point. I saw the white patch that apparently so many people missed.

DragonMaster2010

I am really hesitant at checking out that new Powerpuff Girls. The Powerpuff Girls is one of my favorite cartoons and I just hated not only the redesign of the characters (The Powerpuff Girls had kind of a lazy but charming design, the rough edges just makes things look gross and it's CGI......seriously?) but , also how Craig Mckraken had NOTHING to do with it.

Maybe one day I'll watch it but, I'm ignoring it as of now.

Well yeah it looks different and that really does impact the story in general, but it's actually not that bad. It does carry the same Powerpuff girl's feel with the cuteness and the jinks but...uhhhh, I would watch with caution.

But Dante guzzling down ounces of beer, and being lazy was a more admirable thing for a Japanese hero.

I may like Constantine but I won't admire him because he has too many flaws.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I'm glad I followed this way of thinking with that Power Puff Girls reboot special otherwise I would've missed out on a really good TV special.

I'm not even gonna call them fanboys or elitists anymore.

They're just... "The Entitled" to me now.
Yeah... sorry about that. But I think the point stands. Fans want their game the way they want it and think that it's theirs by "default".

Top Bottom